New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XXIX: Ro, Ro, Ro Your Boute

Daemon princes are another common one, especially since they had it taken away (along with every other daemon unit, but nobody cared about it on stuff like bloodletters), though you could make bloodcrushers a success overnight if you gave them back EW.
    Its of course a little funny, since this would more or less render the overkill rule obsolete. If every unit with multiple wounds were immune to the effect.
    A bit like fear is now
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Have I missed Cypher's rules? Has there been a leak of them I've not seen?
    No actual rules for him yet, but there are the general fallen faction that mentions he can be taken as a slotless option in any IoM or CSM primary detachment.
    So assuming he's the same rules, people now to to think what formations can be useful with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Why should everything and their dog have Eternal Warrior? I remember the days when the entire Tyranid army effectively had it. And it was frustrating.

I might argue that Force needs to be weakened, but honestly, it's only the fact that's it's nigh impossible to dispel (like any other blessing) that is a problem.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    Am I the only one hoping to model a badass Black Shield to count as Cypher? Shrouded, hit and run Kill Teams? Cool.
    I wasn't, but now I am!
    LGBTQIA+ITP

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I might go all out on customizing a AdMech counts as for Cypher. I'm kind of liking the idea of him with infiltrators, though I'd probably also want a psyker in there to help cover some weaknesses.

EDIT: are there any armies of the imperium infiltrating psykers?
    Last edited by Bobby Baratheon; 2017-03-06 at 04:02 PM.
    “Stupid entropy ruins everything.”
    -Jennifer Ouellette

My divine portfolio (cred goes to Jormengand):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bobby, the Twist in Time
    Divine Rank: 4
    Deity of: Twisted Truth, Time
    Symbol: A pair of wings made of fossils
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Worshipers: Archaeologists, forgers
    Cleric Alignments: Any neutral
    Domains: Artifice, Creation, Knowledge, Time
    Favoured Weapon: Longsword

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

I saw an old Nemesis Vanguard box at my FLGS and thought about picking it up, use the models in it as allies for my Imperial Guard army, or maybe as a start for another army.

The box contains 1 Land Raider (IIRC without the Crusader/Redeemer sprues), 1 Dreadknight, 1 unit of 5 Terminators/Paladins, and 15 Power-armoured-Grey Knight models.

Any ideas for a roughly 1000-1500 point detachment? I thought about turning the Terminators into a 3-unit Paladin squad and converting the other two models for a Brother-Captain and a Librarian, but maybe that's the wrong way of going at it (Not very familiar with Grey Knights). It doesn't need to be a full army, just something that can support a mixed Imperial Guard army (ie. it has both infantry and support tanks/artillery, but only 1 unit of Ogryns for melee). Chances are they'll mostly be up against Tau, not other Marines or Eldar.
    Last edited by Theodoric; 2017-03-06 at 03:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Played a game over the weekend, Nids v. CSM. Opponent brought a renegade knight and I had thought to go after him w/ a carnifex and some zoanthropes blasting away. Didn't work. Now I'm wondering if more carnifexes might have done the trick, or if maybe some hive guard w/ shockcannon's (haywire guns w/ bs3) would have done better.

Thoughts on how to Nids v. Knights (other than flyrants)?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Hiveguard is your answer, as Haywire is always the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Thoughts on how to Nids v. Knights (other than flyrants)?
    Hive Guard with Shockcannons.
    Hive Crones

Again I have to stress that the correct number of Carnifexes is no less than 5. If you can roll not poorly on your Hammer of Wraths, you're in a good place.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

18" range BS3 small blasts aren't going to be a good answer to knights, haywire or not, since it's 180 points for 3 shots, 1 of which is likely to scatter off, another is going to be save by the ion shield and the knight's going to be moving 12", so now you're well and truely in charge range and you've done 1 hull point on average. Carnifii or anything with crushing claws (tervigon, tyrant guard, probably other stuff that doesn't spring to mind) are the answer, doubly so if you can MSU them, preferably 3 per knight (which is about right since 3 carnies is ~ the same points as a knight. Zoey's in pods to get around their shield is also solid, as is the gold old tried and true flyrant into side/rear armour and glance it to death, especially since not many knights bring the carapace missiles and even then it's still "only" ~ a 1/6th chance a turn of being grounded if you don't jink per IK.

Charging a harpy into combat the same turn as your 'fexes will also let them strike first with their normal attacks due to sonic screech on the harpy, though that also means that you've landed your harpy and not died or that the IK player has been super agressive and moved 12" directly towards your fexes and harpy that started the game on the board. While the harpy is only str5, it is still an MC and as such, can still smash.

To be fair though, vehicles vs 'nids rarely works out well for the nids. Making those vehicles superheavy walkers with a save against shooting is just rude.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoric View Post
    Any ideas for a roughly 1000-1500 point detachment?
    The basic Allied Detachment for Grey Knights is really simple;

Librarian; ML3, Hammer, Book - 165 Points*
    Terminators (x5); Incinerator, x1 Hammer - 185 Points

Nemesis Dreadknight; Teleporter, Heavy Incinerator, Greatsword - 190 Points

There's not a lot else you really need out of the GK book, and it's 540 Points. You could throw in some Psycannons, but I prefer Incinerators simply because they're S6, AP4 Ignores Cover, and the Heavy one is Torrent. If you're going to be up against Tau, AP4 is going to wreck them, unless they're all 'Suits, all the time. In which case just Melee them, and walk through their Overwatch in your 2+ Armour. I'd prefer a ****-ton of Hammers (buy an Assault Terminators box, use the Hammers, and then start building towards a Blood Angel Lightning Claw Deep Strike-and-Charge Detachment), but since you're barely starting, I'm only including one Hammer in the unit because there's only one in the box.

To take it to a CAD, you basically just do that same thing, again.

Librarian; ML3, Melta Bombs, The Soul Glaive - 160 Points*
    Terminators (x5); Incinerator, x1 Hammer - 185 Points

Nemesis Dreadknight; Teleporter, Heavy Incinerator, Greatsword - 190 Points

* Remember that GK Librarians actually can fight in Melee. You don't have to roll on Sanctic all the time. Sometimes it really is worth it to roll for Electrodisplacement, especially since your Dreadknights can move 30" on Turn 1 and be prime targets to switch with, guaranteeing you a first turn Charge with Terminators.

inb4; "Grey Knights is such a bad Codex, it's all a mono-build." Sure. Okay. Whatever.

At this point you're at 1075, with +10 Warp Dice. Going full douche mode, you can drop the Soul Glaive Librarian for Celestine.

Saint Celestine - 200 Points
    Interceptors (x10); x2 Incinerators, x2 Hammers - 280 Points

-160 Points
    +480 Points
    1395 Points

There's your <1500 Point Detachment. Throw in an Inquisitor and/or an Astropath and/or a Priest or two.

It doesn't need to be a full army, just something that can support a mixed Imperial Guard army (ie. it has both infantry and support tanks/artillery, but only 1 unit of Ogryns for melee). Chances are they'll mostly be up against Tau, not other Marines or Eldar.
    One of the main (i.e; Best) GK/Guard builds is the following;

Brother-Captain Stern
    Ministorum Priest; Litanies of Faith (Imperial Agents!!!)
    Bullgryns; Power Mauls and Brute Shields

Brother-Captain Stern always comes with Sanctuary (it's the only reason he's viable). The Bullgryns have the Brute Shields that give them an Invulnerable, which is increased by Sanctuary, and when they get to Melee, they can re-roll their Invulnerable thanks to the Priest...The Priest also brings Zealot, which does matter. An important note is that Imperial Agent Priests can be taken in a Detachment by themselves, and bring a Relic that makes them automatically pass their War Hymn roll, which is pretty handy on a model that's only Leadership 7.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2017-03-06 at 08:20 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

Saw a game the other day, one guy was running 3x 3 stonecrusher carnifex's. He killed 2 knights on the charge alone. The knights still won in the end but it was super close.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

14. - Top - End - #74
    Firbolg in the Playground

So... The Ultramarines have their chapter tactics, then take their MFD, then take Guilliman, and they can use each of the three doctrines three times per game? So more uses of doctrines than there are turns. Hilarious.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

15. - Top - End - #75

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    So... The Ultramarines have their chapter tactics, then take their MFD, then take Guilliman, and they can use each of the three doctrines three times per game? So more uses of doctrines than there are turns. Hilarious.
    The rules there seem to say "Can use each once, but you can burn more then one on a single turn." So you still have only one use, but can have more then one active on a given turn. Unless there's something in the Codex Marines that lets UMs use each more then once.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saambell View Post
    The rules there seem to say "Can use each once, but you can burn more then one on a single turn." So you still have only one use, but can have more then one active on a given turn. Unless there's something in the Codex Marines that lets UMs use each more then once.
    Being Ultras gets them one of each, the Gladius gets them another set, Calgar hands out another use of Tactical and Girlyman also gives them another set. So yeah, re-roll your everything for 3 turns and then 1 more use of tactical plus the wide variety of re-rolls for robby g due to all the command traits he's rocking. UM's are basically Re-Rolls: The Faction now.

17. - Top - End - #77

BlueKnightGuy

The Ultramarines definitely needed buffing. The poor chumps were barely head and shoulders above the vast majority of other factions. so sayeth Matt Ward
    -Jennifer Ouellette

Spoiler
    Show
    Bobby, the Twist in Time

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

In fairness, Ultramarines didn't get to be in Angels of Death. But, then again, neither did Black Templars, and I refuse to follow the apologist line that Black Templars were part of Gathering Storm I, so that's where that is.

But anyway, lollerskates...
    Gathering Storm I: Coteaz makes everything ObSec.
    II: Aeldari Boogaloo: Eldar get no ObSec.
    III: Guilliman In Time: All Ultramarines are ObSec.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    The basic Allied Detachment for Grey Knights is really simple;.
    Thanks for the post. Incinerators seem like a good idea. Local scene's very terrain-heavy.

I had barely realised the shenanigans that can be accomplished with extra Priests. I need to take another look through the Imperial Agents codex, I severely underestimated the synergy one can get from it.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoric View Post
    Thanks for the post. Incinerators seem like a good idea. Local scene's very terrain-heavy.
    Terminators and Dreadknights are fairly easy to magnetise or pin. If you find that your Tau opponent has gone hard into Battlesuits, it might actually be better to run Psycannons. If they're running Fire Warriors or Breachers, you'll want to roast them hard with Incinerators.

I had barely realised the shenanigans that can be accomplished with extra Priests.
    "If it's an Infantry unit, and doesn't have a Transport, put a Priest in it." Imperial Axiom

I need to take another look through the Imperial Agents codex, I severely underestimated the synergy one can get from it.
    Astropath; 25/50 Points to roll on Divination or for Invisibility. But if you're paying 50 Points to roll on Divination, the Primaris Psyker is way better.
    Priest; 25 Points to give any unit you want, Zealot. 15 Points to automatically pass War Hymns.

There's a Guide to Inquisitors in the OP. Coteaz for one of the best models in the game. Run Hereticus if your meta is lousy with Psykers (if your goal is to play against Tau, it wont be). Ordo Xenos if you're building a Melee Death Star that happens to be on foot.
    (Foot Stars that include Space Marine Psykers are not trash because Electrodisplacement and/or Worldscape, the latter however, is usually banned, for obvious reasons)
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The BA have the BAd times:

Spoiler
    Show

http://astropate.blogspot.com.au/201...manzo.html?m=1

"As usual, every few months we can see several future Black Library releases on some online bookstores. Among various reprint and already announced books, one of them stands out. I'm talking about The Devastation of Baal.
    This novel by Guy Haley, whose paperback release is scheduled for 28/11/2017, definitely draws attention because of the events it talks about. It's set after the Cryptus campaign recounted in Shield of Baal, but also occurs after Gathering Storm. The synopsis, featured on some sites, says:

The popular Space Marine Battles series is relaunched with an epic novel that sees the whole Blood Angels Chapter in action, fighting a desperate rearguard battle to defend their home world from the predations of the tyranid hive fleet Leviathan.

After a brutal campaign in the Cryptus System fighting the alien tyranids, Lord Dante returns to Baal to marshal the entire Blood Angels Chapter and their Successors against Hive Fleet Leviathan. Thus begins the greatest conflict in the history of the sons of Sanguinius. Despite a valiant battle in the void around Baal, the Blood Angels are unable to stop the tyranids drawing ever closer, but their petitions for reinforcements are met with dread news. The Cadian Gate, the Imperium’s most stalwart bastion against Chaos, has fallen. In their darkest hour, no help will reach the beleaguered Dante and his warriors. Is this truly then the Time of Ending?

This is the first story of which we have a certain detail: it's set after Gathering Storm. Some other novels that will come out this year and of which we know the plot may be too, but we have the absolute certainty about this one. After Shield of Baal, three Blood Angels companies (1st, 2nd and 5th) joined the Diamor Campaign recounted in Traitor's Hate and Angel's Blade, during which the 5th Company has completely succumbed to the Black Rage because of the Black Legion. Subsequently, the remaining Blood Angels departed to reach Baal and defend it from the arrival of the Tyranids. In this novel the Tyranids arrived and who knows what will become of the Baal system? Will it be consumed? Some characters will die? The Golden Sarcophagus will be taken to safety?
    Who knows..."

22. - Top - End - #82

BlueKnightGuy

My money's on the Blood Angels surviving, but with the usual significant loss of life (maybe a company or three?). Dante may finally kick it, though I'm not sure there's a natural successor among the blood angels, what with Tycho's fall into the Black Rage. I'm not super familiar with BA fluff though, so correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure something will happen in the last act to turn crushing defeat into a victory, as that seems to be the theme recently.
    -Jennifer Ouellette

Spoiler
    Show
    Bobby, the Twist in Time

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

We may get lucky and see what happens when a Tyranid fleet consumes the remains of a Primarch.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The real question is whether or not Battle for Baal will turn into The Hour of the Wolf, where right at the end, it turns into Blood Angels vs. Khorne Daemons for no reason completely derailing the campaign for no reason.

After all, Ka'Bandha is supposed to piggy back on Hive Fleet Leviathan.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Is WH40K expensive? Yes. I suppose it is. We all know it is. But, practically speaking, it's no more expensive than any other hobby.
    Uh-huh. I can list hobbies cheaper than WH40K all day, and that's without getting into whether it's a hobby or just one product line in a broader hobby. I can also list hobbies more expensive for a while, mostly because almost everything vehicular ends up on that list.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

26. - Top - End - #86

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Uh-huh. I can list hobbies cheaper than WH40K all day, and that's without getting into whether it's a hobby or just one product line in a broader hobby. I can also list hobbies more expensive for a while, mostly because almost everything vehicular ends up on that list.
    Okay? Is there a direction this is going in?
    -Jennifer Ouellette

Spoiler
    Show
    Bobby, the Twist in Time

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Baratheon View Post
    Okay? Is there a direction this is going in?
    Just a quick comment on how presenting Warhammer 40K as not a particularly expensive hobby is misinformation. New people should know that it's expensive, and that getting into it heavily will cost a lot of money.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

28. - Top - End - #88

BlueKnightGuy

Just a quick comment on how presenting Warhammer 40K as not a particularly expensive hobby is misinformation. New people should know that it's expensive, and that getting into it heavily will cost a lot of money.
    You can get a basic army for relatively cheap on ebay/similar sites. I've gotten squads of terminators for less than 5 dollars on auction sites, and got my undamaged Sammael model for 12 bucks. Even if you're buying new, look at Cheesegear's example. A new game for a console costs 60 bucks. That can get you a pretty nifty boxed set that *will* keep you occupied for a while with modeling, painting, playing, etc. Repeat a couple of times, and you have the core of an army. Fill in the margins with the occasional purchase and thrifty shopping, and you will have an army in no time. It's definitely not cheap, but it's not apocalyptically expensive unless you absolutely must have all the latest kits and the fancy OP stuff. I'm not trying to go on a rant here, but with a mild amount of online buying savvy you can absolutely acquire an army on a budget.
    -Jennifer Ouellette

Spoiler
    Show
    Bobby, the Twist in Time

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If you can list hobbies cheaper than 40k all day as well as listing hobbies more expensive than 40k for a while too, wouldn't that make it slightly on the expensive side of average? WHich is exactly the point Cheese was making?

As far as hobbies go, no, it's not knitting, but it's not motorsports either and on average, while it can be expensive for plastic toy soldiersman dollies, it really isn't that much more expensive than many other activities around. There's the option of doing it on the cheap too with scratch builds and second hand as well as china forge while others are happy to exclusivly buy FW and will gladly pay others to assemble and paint their minis to exceedingly high standards before they ever play a game with them.

30. - Top - End - #90

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    If you can list hobbies cheaper than 40k all day as well as listing hobbies more expensive than 40k for a while too, wouldn't that make it slightly on the expensive side of average? WHich is exactly the point Cheese was making?

As far as hobbies go, no, it's not knitting, but it's not motorsports either and on average, while it can be expensive for plastic toy soldiersman dollies, it really isn't that much more expensive than many other activities around. There's the option of doing it on the cheap too with scratch builds and second hand as well as china forge while others are happy to exclusivly buy FW and will gladly pay others to assemble and paint their minis to exceedingly high standards before they ever play a game with them.
    Exactly. To a degree, it's as expensive as you make it.
    -Jennifer Ouellette

Spoiler
    Show
    Bobby, the Twist in Time