New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ask A Feline

1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ask A Feline

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If you see them scratching something you don't want them to, a sudden loud noise is great. Slapping a leather couch or wall is handy. Cats get startled, which they don't like, and dash off, meaning they don't se that it was you who did that, which helps a huge amount. At the same time, reward them for using the scratching post.
    This startles them out of the behavior in the moment, but doesn't seem to prevent them from coming back and doing it again later.

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Couple tricks.

One, cats tend to like to scratch in the same spot, so put scratching posts near the spots where they are predisposed to scratch. Two, get some catnip spray or something and spray it on the posts. Three, stick some double-sided tape on the stuff you don't want scratched - cats don't like to get their paws sticky.
    I've tried catnip spray, and it gets them interested in the posts for awhile, but it doesn't seem to be an exclusive interest (meaning they will scratch the posts and the furniture I want them to avoid). Similarly, I've tried sprays to get them to avoid certain areas. They work in the short term, but have to be constantly re-applied which isn't feasible for me economically or time-wise.

I haven't tried moving the posts or double-sided tape though. Might be a little weird on a chair armrest, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    I've tried catnip spray, and it gets them interested in the posts for awhile, but it doesn't seem to be an exclusive interest (meaning they will scratch the posts and the furniture I want them to avoid). Similarly, I've tried sprays to get them to avoid certain areas. They work in the short term, but have to be constantly re-applied which isn't feasible for me economically or time-wise.

I haven't tried moving the posts or double-sided tape though. Might be a little weird on a chair armrest, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
    I can be boredom as well. Sometimes a more structured play schedule can help a lot with that kind of behaviour. Especially if it focuses attention on the things you want them to scratch.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

This startles them out of the behavior in the moment, but doesn't seem to prevent them from coming back and doing it again later.
    It does if you do it consistently, especially while simultaneously rewarding good behavior like scratching the actual scratching post. My couches have been claw-free for some time now.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

It does if you do it consistently, especially while simultaneously rewarding good behavior like scratching the actual scratching post. My couches have been claw-free for some time now.
    We've been doing the same for years, with no discernable results. They've torn up a couple chairs, a couple sections of carpet, and the curtains we used to have. We always make a sudden loud noise when we catch them at it, but we can't always catch them at it, like if we're not home or asleep. Either I'm not doing it right, or it doesn't work on all cats.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

We've been doing the same for years, with no discernable results. They've torn up a couple chairs, a couple sections of carpet, and the curtains we used to have. We always make a sudden loud noise when we catch them at it, but we can't always catch them at it, like if we're not home or asleep. Either I'm not doing it right, or it doesn't work on all cats.
    I've definitely had the same thing happen - the cats figure out it only happens when you're around and start just not doing it in front of you.

Play therapy combined with some double-stick tape should work. Foil is also good on flat areas. And again, put scratching posts near where they want to scratch - cats instinctively mark their territory with scratching, so providing acceptable targets to mark is good.

Also, try to provide a variety of scratching surfaces, at least until you figure out what they like. My cat doesn't like the rope-covered or carpet scratching posts, but she does go after the corrugated cardboard ones.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Ask A Feline

Is there any way to teach a cat to bury his crap? My guy is almost 3 years old, and he barely makes an effort to cover it up in his litter box...

Is he too old and set in his ways to learn?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Is there any way to teach a cat to bury his crap? My guy is almost 3 years old, and he barely makes an effort to cover it up in his litter box...

Is he too old and set in his ways to learn?

It can be a dominance issue in this case, so he may be attempting to show dominance over you. Or it could be there isn't enough litter in the box to make him happy, or he doesn't like the kind of litter you're using.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    It can be a dominance issue in this case, so he may be attempting to show dominance over you. Or it could be there isn't enough litter in the box to make him happy, or he doesn't like the kind of litter you're using.
    Well, we use crystal-based litter, which is the type we've always used. I try to make sure there's always enough.

I spoke to a friend who's a vet, and he said if you have two different literboxes in the house, it might help. We tried that, but it made no difference.

I suspect he's just being lazy because he knows I will come along and bury it for him to get rid of the stink.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Well, we use crystal-based litter, which is the type we've always used. I try to make sure there's always enough.

I spoke to a friend who's a vet, and he said if you have two different literboxes in the house, it might help. We tried that, but it made no difference.

I suspect he's just being lazy because he knows I will come along and bury it for him to get rid of the stink.
    Probably a dominance thing then. He's the boss, so he craps on top and everybody else has to bury it for him.

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Probably a dominance thing then. He's the boss, so he craps on top and everybody else has to bury it for him.
    Eh, that's a theory and a lot of people disagree with it. Are the litter boxes big enough?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Ask A Feline

So, Fritz (my cat) had occasionally started to poop outside of his litter box, which he'd never done before.

We now have two litter boxes (one quite large, one smaller) and put one in the corner of the laundry where he had pooped.

I think it was maybe a privacy thing, because he now likes to poop in the one in the corner where there's no chance of us seeing him.

He's also doing (slightly) better at burying it.

Here's a pic:

Funny thing: I was always a "dog person" before I got him (I always liked cats, but much preferred dogs), but now it's a lot harder to choose.

12. - Top - End - #102

So, Fritz (my cat) had occasionally started to poop outside of his litter box, which he'd never done before.
    Any recent changes, like getting him declawed or using different litter?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Any recent changes, like getting him declawed or using different litter?
    Nope. No changes to his routine I can think of.

Only thing is my wife has relatively recently started working (afternoon shift), so he has been alone during the day a bit more...but the pooping outside of the box started a couple of months after that began.

14. - Top - End - #104

Nope. No changes to his routine I can think of.

Only thing is my wife has relatively recently started working (afternoon shift), so he has been alone during the day a bit more...but the pooping outside of the box started a couple of months after that began.
    Welp, I got nothin'.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Barbarian in the Playground

*delves into memories that may be pertienent*

*Edits in idea:*

I believe I recall that if a cat poops outside of the box it is due to a bad association with said box. For example, on an episode of My Cat From Hell*, this one cat was going outside the box when it hurt to poop (due to having eaten yarn/string that went through his system).

Not to seem rude/crude, but does there seem to be anything different about the poo outside of the box?
    going to bed soon, will respond/check thread in morning.

*Fantastic show, that can sometimes provide useful information.
    Last edited by Grand Arbiter; 2017-05-27 at 10:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

No, no differences in his poop either.

He seems happy enough now there's two boxes, one in the old spot, and one in the corner where he'd done it on the floor.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Barbarian in the Playground

May just have been need of another box then. \_(")_/

Anybody else's cat seem to chase pixies/faeries/stuff-that-you-can't-see?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Libro View Post
    May just have been need of another box then. \_(")_/

Anybody else's cat seem to chase pixies/faeries/stuff-that-you-can't-see?
    We had one time where my old roommate's cat started chasing our shadows.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought that, then I realized he was chasing reflections off my watch.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Do cats like chocolate milk?

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rothis Sil View Post
    Do cats like chocolate milk?
    BAD IDEA!!!

Chocolate is seriously poisonous to cats. They can die from it.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

I think it was maybe a privacy thing, because he now likes to poop in the one in the corner where there's no chance of us seeing him.
    Pooping for cats is a dominance thing. He might not want to challenge you for dominance. (I know this because I had to move my cat's liter box because he doesn't want to challenge my husband.)

As for the arthritis in an older cat, I've noticed that he is a little less agile then he was when he was younger, but he's still hunting rats so I have no idea there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

When my cat yawn, she raises the tip of her tongue in a way that reminds me of the polite human habit of putting your hand in front of your mouth when you yawn. Is there an actual correlation?
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I've never played the lotto before. I decided to spend a buck on it on a whim for a chance at 137M. Should I feel bad for spending literal pocket change when I'm technically supposed to be saving because my fiancee and I are broke with no current income? Is it that I'm desperate for money at this point is the reason I had that nagging sensation while I was in the store to go do it, even though it was the same kind of sensation I get when my luck is going to turn around when I'm playing a TCG and it proceeds to give me the exact cards I need, thus I win?

Always told myself I'd never lotto or scratcher. I'm feeling conflicted.

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimPeddler View Post
    I've never played the lotto before. I decided to spend a buck on it on a whim for a chance at 137M. Should I feel bad for spending literal pocket change when I'm technically supposed to be saving because my fiancee and I are broke with no current income? Is it that I'm desperate for money at this point is the reason I had that nagging sensation while I was in the store to go do it, even though it was the same kind of sensation I get when my luck is going to turn around when I'm playing a TCG and it proceeds to give me the exact cards I need, thus I win?

Always told myself I'd never lotto or scratcher. I'm feeling conflicted.
    Think about the lottery as an entertaunment expense. You're not spending a dollar to win and be rich, you're spending a dollar to imagine yourself winning and being rich. If you get at least a dollar's worth of enjoyment out of that, then it's worthwhile.

So long as you have the dollar to spare. Both questions only you can answer.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Think about the lottery as an entertaunment expense. You're not spending a dollar to win and be rich, you're spending a dollar to imagine yourself winning and being rich. If you get at least a dollar's worth of enjoyment out of that, then it's worthwhile.

So long as you have the dollar to spare. Both questions only you can answer.
    Good idea. And yes I had the dollar to blow. Better chance at a good ROI than buying a value menu burger, lol.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Bugbear in the Playground

what type of cat should my next cat be?
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Gary View Post
    A grey American Shorthair.
    Last edited by Shamash; 2017-06-08 at 10:55 AM.
    Shamash! The true sun god!

Praise the sun! \o/

I also have a DeviantArt now... Most are drafts of my D&D campaigns but if you want to take a look.

29. - Top - End - #119

Norwegian Forest.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally, I'm a fan of going to a no-kill shelter and asking who's been there a while. Or asking if there are cats at a foster home that don't show well.

My kitty is an absolute love-bug once she gets to know you, but she's very shy so she doesn't show well.