Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ask A Feline

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ask A Feline

Quote Originally Posted by aloysius View Post
    why refer to yourself as feline
    ...Meow??...
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

I read somewhere that it is unknown how intelligent cats actually are since it is impossible to get them to participate in those tests. Is there any truth to this?

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Ask a feline? Okay...

Meow. Meow meow meow. Purr?

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    This. There's not really anything you can to do a cat to establish your friendliness- You just have to be present and not make sudden moves long enough that the cat starts to suspect you're not here to murder them, and then accept any offers of friendship they give, and never push your luck too much.
    Although giving them food can help.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

When meeting a new cat who isn't immediately friendly, I tend to crouch down, hold out a hand at cat height, snap my fingers a couple of times and then keep it there. More often than not the cat comes over to investigate pretty quickly and then lets me stroke them. It doesn't always work, especially on very timid cats, but I find it fairly reliable.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    So in my abundant feline wisdom, I have decided to start an ask me anything thread! I take any questions, feline, human, or catgirl. Have fun!
    Why don't you pet kitty? Are you aware that the only thing kitty is guilty of is wanting to be petted?

And now I have to go pet kitty.

Moral Quandary: If you see a cat sleeping, should you pet them?
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2017-03-24 at 09:34 AM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I've heard that humans couldn't communicate with lions even with a shared language was established. How does that hold up with other felines?
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

8. - Top - End - #68

My roommate's cat often asks for scratches but always stands just out of reach from my chair. Does she like seeing me flail and relent to getting up, or is there a less jerky motive for acting like that?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    I read somewhere that it is unknown how intelligent cats actually are since it is impossible to get them to participate in those tests. Is there any truth to this?
    Cats do tend to be less willing to participate in tests, although it is most likely possible to train them to do so. That said...I'm honestly suspicious of animal intelligence tests. Even with humans intelligence testing is a very murky field, and it's almost impossible to genuinely measure raw intelligence rather than extrinsics like education or language proficiency. I have my doubts how well we can manage to

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Ask a feline? Okay...

Meow. Meow meow meow. Purr?

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    Mew mew purr purr.

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    Why don't you pet kitty? Are you aware that the only thing kitty is guilty of is wanting to be petted?

And now I have to go pet kitty.

Moral Quandary: If you see a cat sleeping, should you pet them?
    Really depends on the cat. I wouldn't do it with a cat you don't know, as you could get bit or scratched if you startle them. I do it with mimi all the time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    I've heard that humans couldn't communicate with lions even with a shared language was established. How does that hold up with other felines?
    I'm honestly not sure how to parse that. A shared language, in order for both parties to be truly said to be proficient in the language, would require a certain amount of mutual comprehension. If communication is impossible I would say the two parties don't truly share a language.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneris View Post
    My roommate's cat often asks for scratches but always stands just out of reach from my chair. Does she like seeing me flail and relent to getting up, or is there a less jerky motive for acting like that?
    Honestly, cats just don't get human bodies very well. My old roommate's cat used to try to play fetch by dropping a toy in the small of my back and then sitting on my back.

10. - Top - End - #70

How do you make a cat stop pooping in your garden? >:(
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by S@tanicoaldo View Post
    How do you make a cat stop pooping in your garden? >:(
    Simplest thing is to add plants that cats don't like the smell of. There are several useful plants that will deter cats (lavender and rosemary are two common ones), but a google search should tell you what you can put in for your local growing area.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Cats refuse to participate in those tests. This is the proof that they are highly intelligent.

13. - Top - End - #73

Simplest thing is to add plants that cats don't like the smell of. There are several useful plants that will deter cats (lavender and rosemary are two common ones), but a google search should tell you what you can put in for your local growing area.
    I did that and it didn't work D:

I think I may be plagued by an evil demon in the form of a cat.

Do you think that setting up rat traps with meat on them would be too cruel?
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-03-25 at 02:59 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

I did that and it didn't work D:

I think I may be plagued by an evil demon in the form of a cat.

Do you know what sort of cats you are dealing with? Is it an indoor/outdoor cat belonging to a neighbor? Is it a feral?

15. - Top - End - #75

Do you know what sort of cats you are dealing with? Is it an indoor/outdoor cat belonging to a neighbor? Is it a feral?
    If by feral you mean a random cat from the streets who has no human owner. Then yes, feral.

I saw it last night he had white fur but was all dirty, had one eye of each color and hissed at me.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-03-25 at 03:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

if by feral you mean a random cat from the streets who has no human owner. The yes, feral.

I saw it last night he had white fur but was all dirty, had one eye of each color and hissed at me.
    Your best bet may be to see if there's a feral cat rescue around you. You might have to trap him yourself but you can get cat traps and turn him over to a rescue.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Feral cats are essentially wild, but descended from domestic cats. The cats could simply be a stray, which are not wild and less likely to bite you. If you live near a zoo see if they sell Zoo Poop, or the leavings of large predators which can deter some animals. Garden or farming suppliers should have a similar product.

I have a question, do you have a recommendation on some tips for people with elderly cats? I think my current fuzzball is approaching 16 years of age and I want to make sure he's doing alright. Sadly, he does not appear to be a breed that is known for a long life.

Also, do you have any tips on rescue cats? He seems to be very convinced that he cannot eat in certain parts of my apartment for fear of other people or cardboard boxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

18. - Top - End - #78

Your best bet may be to see if there's a feral cat rescue around you. You might have to trap him yourself but you can get cat traps and turn him over to a rescue.
    Ohhh.. That sounds like so much work

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

A fierce warrior in armor!

Just not enough images of cats in this thread. NEED MORE PLEASE!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. It may also be illegal, depending on jurisdiction.

Not to mention the risk you take of injuring something other than the cat you intend: a neighbour's pet, or wild animal.

Do not do this.

Unless you mean a trap which catches the animal alive for later release, but in that case a rat trap wouldn't be big enough. In fact a rat trap probably wouldn't be big enough to do more than inconvenience or injure a cat anyway.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Feral cats are essentially wild, but descended from domestic cats. The cats could simply be a stray, which are not wild and less likely to bite you. If you live near a zoo see if they sell Zoo Poop, or the leavings of large predators which can deter some animals. Garden or farming suppliers should have a similar product.

I have a question, do you have a recommendation on some tips for people with elderly cats? I think my current fuzzball is approaching 16 years of age and I want to make sure he's doing alright. Sadly, he does not appear to be a breed that is known for a long life.

Also, do you have any tips on rescue cats? He seems to be very convinced that he cannot eat in certain parts of my apartment for fear of other people or cardboard boxes.
    One thing I've seen is to watch for mobility impairments. Older cats may struggle to get up on favorite spots. A relative of mine had a ramp she built for her older cat to get up on the couch, since the poor kitty couldn't jump up anymore.

As far as fear - limited exposure therapy is probably the best. Figure out at what distance he will eat and put the food there. Slowly move the food towards the "scary" spot to get the cat used to it.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

When no one's at home/around, my cat has a habit of dragging my blanket and/or used clothes into the living room. this is a very unpleasant habit. why does he do that, and what can I do about it (if there's anything at all)?
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    When no one's at home/around, my cat has a habit of dragging my blanket and/or used clothes into the living room. this is a very unpleasant habit. why does he do that, and what can I do about it (if there's anything at all)?
    Things that smell like you are comforting to your cat. Your cat is lonely for your company. I'm not sure what you can do about it. I'm not a cat.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    The easiest solution is to get a hamper with a lid on it, honestly. And possibly give the cat something that smells like you that he can drag around.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

How can I persuade my cats to sharpen their claws on the scratching posts designated for the purpose, and not on the furniture, carpet, etc.?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    How can I persuade my cats to sharpen their claws on the scratching posts designated for the purpose, and not on the furniture, carpet, etc.?
    If you see them scratching something you don't want them to, a sudden loud noise is great. Slapping a leather couch or wall is handy. Cats get startled, which they don't like, and dash off, meaning they don't se that it was you who did that, which helps a huge amount. At the same time, reward them for using the scratching post.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

One thing I've seen is to watch for mobility impairments. Older cats may struggle to get up on favorite spots. A relative of mine had a ramp she built for her older cat to get up on the couch, since the poor kitty couldn't jump up anymore.
    Hrm, didn't think of that. I think he's fine now, as he gets into the fireplace and on top of the hot water heater just fine and is more then willing to run into neighbor's yards. But are there any signs I should look for, such as a limp or pain when touched on the legs?

As far as fear - limited exposure therapy is probably the best. Figure out at what distance he will eat and put the food there. Slowly move the food towards the "scary" spot to get the cat used to it.
    My living arrangement isn't great for this, but I'll give it a whirl. How would I do this for people, since he's terrified of certain people?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

My living arrangement isn't great for this, but I'll give it a whirl. How would I do this for people, since he's terrified of certain people?
    Easiest thing with people, if they're willing, is to have them set out a treat and then sit down a ways away. They have to sit quietly so the cat learns they're not a threat. Again, you can slowly get the cat closer to the person.

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Couple tricks.

One, cats tend to like to scratch in the same spot, so put scratching posts near the spots where they are predisposed to scratch. Two, get some catnip spray or something and spray it on the posts. Three, stick some double-sided tape on the stuff you don't want scratched - cats don't like to get their paws sticky.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you think Catgirls should have whiskers?
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Only when they get old; then they start to look like Albert Einstein.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett