New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    I'm increasingly of the opinion that Blizzard should limit teams in Competitive and Quick Play to Hanzo or Widowmaker, not both. Never mind Junkrat, 99% of the time having both of these two snipers on the team is a throw comp.
    Well, the problem is that there IS a theoretical enemy composition that Widow/Hanzo could dominate. If the opposing team rolls with Roadhog, McCree, Zenyatta, Mercy, Ana, and Reaper, on a reasonably open map, Widow/Hanzo will have a field day. Besides, there's so many bad comps and matchups that Widow/Hanzo is just the tip of the iceberg, albeit a far more frequently hit iceberg in PUG play. I think they should just admit that competitive as currently devised does not work, and either constrain it to arranged team 6v6, or remove it entirely.

Bottom line, either the game is a hyper-competitive scene where everyone needs to work together, and the matchmaking system should support that, or it isn't, in which case, just let people do whatever, and don't worry about ranking players, because it doesn't mean anything.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Thumbs down Re: Overwatch: Boop!

The fact is, in anything but FFA Deathmatch, your chances of success are dependent on your team, including their willingness to make a good comp.

Overwatch will never reach a state where your team has no impact on your ability to succeed. "Hanzo/Widow is a throw comp, it shouldn't be allowed in competative" "Junkrat is a bad character, he shouldn't be allowed in competitive" "Mercy pocketing a DPS is a bad strategy, in competitive, Mercy should be forced to switch off a DPS once they're fully healed" "People don't stand behind Reinhardt's shield. If you have a reinhardt, your team shouldn't be able to walk in front of you in competitive"

"That Genji took my healthpack when I needed it more. In competitive, you shouldn't be able to pick up a healthpack if an ally with lower health than you is within 5 yards".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    The fact is, in anything but FFA Deathmatch, your chances of success are dependent on your team, including their willingness to make a good comp.

Overwatch will never reach a state where your team has no impact on your ability to succeed. "Hanzo/Widow is a throw comp, it shouldn't be allowed in competative" "Junkrat is a bad character, he shouldn't be allowed in competitive" "Mercy pocketing a DPS is a bad strategy, in competitive, Mercy should be forced to switch off a DPS once they're fully healed" "People don't stand behind Reinhardt's shield. If you have a reinhardt, your team shouldn't be able to walk in front of you in competitive"

"That Genji took my healthpack when I needed it more. In competitive, you shouldn't be able to pick up a healthpack if an ally with lower health than you is within 5 yards".
    Right, which is why I think competitive may as well be 'arranged team only', because then there's a chance that you'll actually rise or fall based on the actions of the group you've agreed to queue with, instead of being matched with complete strangers, and then expecting anything but a random clown fiesta. In effect, the entire SR system is a noise-generator, and the only consistent contributor to your rise or fall in SR is your own performance against whatever 'individual skew' metrics the Overwatch Dev team has baked into the SR reward/penalty formula.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal
    I'm increasingly of the opinion that Blizzard should limit teams in Competitive and Quick Play to Hanzo or Widowmaker, not both. Never mind Junkrat
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    "Junkrat is a bad character, he shouldn't be allowed in competitive"
    I'm unclear where the Junkrat hate is coming from. He's the only Overwatch character capable of indirect combat (consistently, at least, some characters like Hanzo can dabble with their ults), he does heavy damage at a solid medium range, has good mobility, and his ult is excellent at making picks.

Is there something I'm missing that makes him not only suboptimal, not only BAD, but "we lose the game before it even starts" tier bad?

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Well, the problem is that there IS a theoretical enemy composition that Widow/Hanzo could dominate. If the opposing team rolls with Roadhog, McCree, Zenyatta, Mercy, Ana, and Reaper, on a reasonably open map, Widow/Hanzo will have a field day. Besides, there's so many bad comps and matchups that Widow/Hanzo is just the tip of the iceberg, albeit a far more frequently hit iceberg in PUG play. I think they should just admit that competitive as currently devised does not work, and either constrain it to arranged team 6v6, or remove it entirely.

Bottom line, either the game is a hyper-competitive scene where everyone needs to work together, and the matchmaking system should support that, or it isn't, in which case, just let people do whatever, and don't worry about ranking players, because it doesn't mean anything.
    It's rare, but when it does work, it's terrifying. If they can land headshots Everything dies in in two hits or less.

On a different note, played with some of me mates last night. We were paired up against the same team four times in a row. First three times we destroyed them. Last match the tracer switched on her aimbot....Not fun...especially when I was at 3490 SR...
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Rynjin, You're attributing to me something that Velaryon said.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I'm unclear where the Junkrat hate is coming from. He's the only Overwatch character capable of indirect combat (consistently, at least, some characters like Hanzo can dabble with their ults), he does heavy damage at a solid medium range, has good mobility, and his ult is excellent at making picks.
    Me. It's coming from me. I understand why Junkrat is in the game. You need someone with the capability to inflict indirect fire to be able to flush out campers exploiting map geometry. Otherwise your map design choices are much more constrained, as you need to ensure there's no cul-de-sacs or spots from which you can hold a point with little chance of being flanked. A good example of a spot that Junkrat deals with is the hut on Volskaya point 1. If you set up in there with some combination of Rein/Bastion, he's almost impossible to dislodge, without someone who can bank damage outside of Bastion's angle of attack.

Is there something I'm missing that makes him not only suboptimal, not only BAD, but "we lose the game before it even starts" tier bad?
    He's situational, and Junkrat is the poster-child for the 'I have no intention of improving at this game' one-trick. Mostly, he's terrible on attack, and excels at defense, especially on choke-heavy assault maps like Volskaya and Anubis. If you're taking him in those circumstances, chances are you can pull your weight. He's really inconsistent, pretty easy for a remotely coordinated team to shut down, and often can work counter-productively by feeding energy into enemy Zarya's and ult charge into enemy supports. He's inconsistent for the same reasons that Hanzo is inconsistent: Highly inaccurate projectile fire, with only a long-ish cooldown to provide anything approaching consistent killing power (Scatter for Hanzo, Mine for Junk).

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    Last match the tracer switched on her aimbot....Not fun...especially when I was at 3490 SR...
    Figuratively, or literally? If literally, I hope you reported them.

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry about that, I skimmed the thread and didn't multiquote; sometimes a bad combo.

Maybe there's a big difference in competitive, but I find it pretty easy to hit Junkrat's pipes and mines in Quick Play and the various Deathmatch modes. Mind you, my way-too-many hours in TF2 may skew that for me. I used to main Demoman in (low-mid) tier comp 6's and Highlander so at this point I find it easier to lead arcing projectiles and time detonations than aim certain hitscan weapons (I can't play McCree to save my life). Him not taking splash damage negates one of the main unreliable factors of having only explosive weapons, so unlike Demoman I don't need to fear close range combat as Junkrat either, and can safely divebomb for picks in a pinch.

He's absolutely not for every scenario, but I can think of few other characters in OW that are better at cracking entrenched positions like a Bastion/Orisa/Torbjorn nest.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2017-09-19 at 10:03 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ogre in the Playground

Figuratively, or literally? If literally, I hope you reported them.
    Literally, he was an average to mediocre diamond player for the first three games and then started landing headshots and have near perfect tracking. So it was either aimbot or the player swapped.

Reported them either case. Blizz can determine if their innocent.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't say "more tanky". I said "less dull". D.va is an example of a good tank design. Mobile, active playstyle, a bunch of abilities, and enough damage to be respected in a one on one fight. Winston would be better with a marginally less abysmal weapon. Doomfist as a tank would be the bomb (and also solve his 'one-shot-one-trick' problem to boot).
    Personally, I've subclassed the tanks as "offensive" and "Defensive" tanks. D.Va falls in to the "offensive" subclass. Her high mobility and decent damage makes her great for pushing forward/attacking an objective. As opposed to Rein, who really should be holding a choke rather than attacking one (not that he can't if the rest of his team backs him up properly).

But, honestly, tanks should be tanks. High health/armor, lower damage output. If a Tracer can take out your tank solo in a couple of seconds, is your tank really a tank? Not really. Tanks should be hard to take down with out being focused, but should be on the lower end of the scale, damage wise. Personally, I would love to see Blizz boots Rein's armor, and change his long range attack into an AOE spinning one... If a Tracer get's behind him, he can drop his shield, spin like a top for a second or two with that hammer stuck out, and then go back to projecting the shield once he's swatted Tracer into oblivion. (For example.) But for gawdz sake, boots his armor...he's wearing so much of it already, but it might as well be made of papier mache. As it is, OW tanks are just slower moving DPS.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ogre in the Playground

welp I made it to masters....

And then immediately dropped to 3400...wooohoooo.

Thoughts on the new mercy...She's madatory on defense...Her ult is strong, but if a dps ult is going on she cannot survive.

Ana+mercy is almost a bad comp now as you need zen/lucio to nullify ults.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally got my first chance to play since the new patch went live.

I am not sure what I think of Junkertown so far, since I've been paired with some players who are so bad I'm not sure they're even holding their controllers right side up.

D.Va feels pathetically weak now. Her missiles couldn't break their way out of a wet paper bag, and her defense matrix runs out almost before you can say the words "defense matrix activated." So until she gets a buff, that's one character I'm just not going to play anymore.

The new Mercy is... interesting. I haven't got a good feel yet for how her new ultimate is used, but otherwise it's not as bad as I feared it would be. I still feel like this is a very radical departure from the character though, and wonder if it wouldn't have been better to just make a new character with more or less this skill set.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it just me, or does Junkertown seem to really favor the defense side? Like... I'm glad I've primarily rolled defense, but the ratio seems odd, with a lot of games having the attack never reach the first check point even.

As for heroes... the D.Va missiles give her poke at long range and devastating close range damage(since she can fire them AND her guns, and the missiles have perfect accuracy and little/no damage reduction for range... though they are kinda slow moving. I think they can also be used during defense matrix.)
    The new Mercy is cool. A lot more active than the old one.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    As for heroes... the D.Va missiles give her poke at long range and devastating close range damage(since she can fire them AND her guns, and the missiles have perfect accuracy and little/no damage reduction for range... though they are kinda slow moving. I think they can also be used during defense matrix.)
    The Missiles can be used while firing her guns, using Defense Matrix, and boosting. There seems to be a slight delay between the key press and when the missiles come flying out though.

D.va also can now fire while boosting.

A good way to kill someone dead is to boost towards them with everything blazing.

So yeah, so far I'm enjoying new D.va.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Titan in the Playground

Is it just me, or does Junkertown seem to really favor the defense side? Like... I'm glad I've primarily rolled defense, but the ratio seems odd, with a lot of games having the attack never reach the first check point even.

The new Mercy is cool. A lot more active than the old one.
    Every game of Junkertown I've played the offense has been able to finish all but 2 times. I almost think the time limit is a minute too long. But I also understand a new map means people don't know how to play it properly yet, so I'll just wait and see for now.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Troll in the Playground

There's another free weekend. I'm curious to try the new content and then loudly complain about how Blizzard's failed to meet my unreasonable expectations.

Also I can do death-match now, which seems like a low-stress way to spend this trial period.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Ettin in the Playground

So I've been reading about absurd momentum as Mercy while gliding... but I'm not sure how to do it. Anyone have advice? I know it involves cancelling the Guard Angle ability, but I'm sure now if just letting go of [the button] is enough.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Troll in the Playground

I've heard complaints about the non-Chateau Gaillard DM maps, and I now think I understand them.

The hardest bit of DM isn't the shooting, it's finding people to shoot with sufficient regularity as to maintain a position on the scoreboard. The 2CP maps in particularly, it's easy to be stuck 1v1ing with some guy on one of the edge of the map while the main thrust of the action is on the other and while you've been wasting time to get one point someone else has cleared two or three in succession. Then, when you transverse the map the action's already moved to the other end and the cycle repeats. I can see why Sombra is semi-popular in this arrangement, given her trait and speed. Though she has the issue of merely softening up targets for others to swoop in to take the kill.

It's especially annoying with the wide-open CP areas, because it's easy to see someone moving around from 50+ meters away in the wide-open area and then have them slide past you - because of how the map geometry is designed for that - while you have to question whether it's worth moving in that direction because it might be just one player and it'll take minutes to score a single point.

That doesn't really happen in Chateau Gaillard, everyone is around 30 seconds from where you are and pursuing anyone you see isn't detrimental to your overall efforts. There's a certain degree of funneling involved, and you're within hearing distance to most of the SFX. They're going to have to do more editing to the other maps to get them closer to its configuration.

Also, while I've only played 20+ DM games from which I can sample, I was rather surprised to see only myself playing Tracer... like, ever. I was questioning as to why that was, and I honestly don't have an answer. She's in no way non-viable at the whole duel thing. Hell, I won with her and I've maybe an hour on the Hero from a few QMs months ago. Besides that, people were trying to Widow and Hanzo me, and they were not accurately pinning me down much of the time to say the least... and by that token It's not a skill-floor thing either because people were still playing relatively high skill Heroes like Genjis and Widows.

The only thing I can guess is maybe prevalence of Junkrat spam? Junkrats killed me several times mostly through the inexorable power of carpet bombing all of Creation.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I've heard complaints about the non-Chateau Gaillard DM maps, and I now think I understand them.

The hardest bit of DM isn't the shooting, it's finding people to shoot with sufficient regularity as to maintain a position on the scoreboard. The 2CP maps in particularly, it's easy to be stuck 1v1ing with some guy on one of the edge of the map while the main thrust of the action is on the other and while you've been wasting time to get one point someone else has cleared two or three in succession. Then, when you transverse the map the action's already moved to the other end and the cycle repeats. I can see why Sombra is semi-popular in this arrangement, given her trait and speed. Though she has the issue of merely softening up targets for others to swoop in to take the kill.
    This has largely been my experience as well, though I've played even fewer death match games than you have. I spend so much time running around looking for people to kill, while all the action seems to be happening on the other end of the map from wherever I am. I've mostly played Tracer and Sombra for mobility reasons, and I do okay but not great.

Eventually I got fed up with it, and as soon as I got my loot box for finishing in the top 4, I went back to the regular game. I didn't particularly want this mode anyway, so whatever. Hopefully it draws the people who just want to go for kills and not play the objective out of the regular modes.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ogre in the Playground

Thankfully 1.15 removed the converted 2CP maps (except for custom games) which were the most problematic for DMFFA, for reasons other posters have stated. I really chafed against most of the converted maps since I've found myself doing extremely well with Reaper on Chateau, but the long sightlines on most of the other maps exuberates Reaper's lack of range. Though I've enjoyed the converted Payload maps, King's Row in particular seems to be one of the better maps next to Chateau.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ogre in the Playground

...I really don't know what SR range I belong to anymore....

I dropped down to plat now from masters.

So yeah matchmaking is a joke.

As for the new mercy dominated meta. I don't think I am enjoying it atm. So after I claw my way back into diamond I will just give the game a rest.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...I really don't know what SR range I belong to anymore....

I dropped down to plat now from masters.

So yeah matchmaking is a joke.

As for the new mercy dominated meta. I don't think I am enjoying it atm. So after I claw my way back into diamond I will just give the game a rest.
    I think the SR system is fundamentally flawed. The only way you can consistently climb out of a rank is if you can solo carry a team of 5 spuds to victory, at that rank. Because no other metric can be measured with such a noisy system. On any given team, you're 17% of your team's effect. So, in a team that's actually filled with your equals, your individual contribution to a victory can't really be measured, not in any meaningful form. That's because statistics can't collect data on the quality of your decisions, or that of your teammates.

This is an impossible state of affairs, because it DIS-incentivizes cooperating when you're starting to lose. You're better off playing to protect your own SR than trying to actually turn around the fight by playing intelligently. Hang back for a regroup? Nope, just keep peeking and getting trash damage, feeding enemy support ults, because when you lose, the guy who racked up gold damage and a few more garbage eliminations will lose the least rank. Swap to a Hero that you might not be very good on, but your team needs to have a prayer of pulling out a win? Nope, because your indifferent performance on a Winston or Ana will lose you way more SR than a competent but futile Tracer.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Titan in the Playground

The solution is just to not care about your rank. Unless you're getting paid to play the game well, the only value in a competitive format is having fun with people of your skill level. If the matchmaking is as bad as you guys keep saying it is, and the ranking system is flawed, then competitive serves no purpose. Why not just drop it?

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Ogre in the Playground

The solution is just to not care about your rank. Unless you're getting paid to play the game well, the only value in a competitive format is having fun with people of your skill level. If the matchmaking is as bad as you guys keep saying it is, and the ranking system is flawed, then competitive serves no purpose. Why not just drop it?
    Because comp is the only chance of playing the game with any semblance of competence. Not that it matters anymore, comp is infested with DPS= Dumb Player Syndrome= mains who refuse to switch atm and this prevalent in all ranks. You get the odd good game (and I mean real good game).

It used to be that master and diamond games were good, but it's just not the case anymore.

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. Hopefully Blizz will fix it, but I have no idea how they will.

Edit: Also, based on their system, my level of performance ranges from plat to masters...which is a pretty significant variance...So I don't know what my skill level is.
    Last edited by Rising Phoenix; 2017-09-26 at 01:47 AM.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Because I still want the game to have a point, and not just be 2 snipers and a junkrat every time I play. The problem is that with comp being the only format that 'matters', quick play is just a format for memeing and trolling. Nobody plays anything remotely resembling a competitive comp, you're lucky if you get one healer and a roadhog or d.va.

The problem with the game is that the design requires a 6-man team, but the game also punishes players who queue as a team, by matching them versus enemies who are mechanically better than they are. So your options are: Queue competitive, have a chance of getting a comp that's not just trolling or throwing, and then deal with the toxicity and hostility when things go wrong, or queue Quick Play, and be guaranteed of getting a troll/throw comp.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

On the other hand, I did have a good quick play experience today. I played 2 games against a pretty good Pharah (me on Widow), and we went pretty hard back and forth, then I got swapped to her team, whereupon we rolled the other team pretty hard. When she got play of the game, I asked, "Easier when I'm not shooting at ya, right?", to which I got the very gratifying response, "Absolutely." Yeah, I was fishing for the compliment, but it still felt good when I got it. Especially nice after a string of games where either I was pitted against the luckiest Widow on the planet, or she had some kind of aimbot, because every encounter was 'snap to headshot: dead' in milliseconds of my coming in view.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Ogre in the Playground

Made it back to diamond and I am now gonna give the game a rest.

I am honestly not enjoying the mercy and junkrat changes. I much prefer playing ana and she is in sore need of a buff. Junkrat on the other hand is overtuned. Especially his ult, on some maps there is simply no counter play and the only way to check it (lucio ult) takes to way to long to charge and even then is not a guarantee of survival.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ogre in the Playground

Made it back to diamond and I am now gonna give the game a rest.

I am honestly not enjoying the mercy and junkrat changes. I much prefer playing ana and she is in sore need of a buff. Junkrat on the other hand is overtuned. Especially his ult, on some maps there is simply no counter play and the only way to check it (lucio ult) takes to way to long to charge and even then is not a guarantee of survival.
    I'm kind of feeling the same way. I feel like the balance has been getting worse instead of better lately, and balance has moved away from "how do we make sure certain characters aren't too weak or too strong" to "how do we throw a monkey wrench into the prevailing meta" and "let's completely rework characters based on a small segment of the player base complaining loudly."

I've had almost no desire to play for the last two weeks, and at this point I'm kinda just waiting to see what new stuff comes with the next event. Then again, if it's as difficult to get new skins and stuff as it was in the last Summer Games event, I'll be bound for yet more disappointment.

Some of my friends have moved on to Destiny 2, and I'm starting to wonder whether I shouldn't follow.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ettin in the Playground

To be fair, you can shoot Junkrat's ult, and barriers do prevent it damaging those behind one(Rein, Winston, Orisa, possibly Symmetra).

edit: Speaking of Rein, is there a major disadvantage to keeping his shield angled? It seems like it helps reduce the power of stuff like Junkrat and Pharah against him.
    Last edited by Togath; 2017-09-26 at 10:35 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm kind of feeling the same way. I feel like the balance has been getting worse instead of better lately, and balance has moved away from "how do we make sure certain characters aren't too weak or too strong" to "how do we throw a monkey wrench into the prevailing meta" and "let's completely rework characters based on a small segment of the player base complaining loudly."

I've had almost no desire to play for the last two weeks, and at this point I'm kinda just waiting to see what new stuff comes with the next event. Then again, if it's as difficult to get new skins and stuff as it was in the last Summer Games event, I'll be bound for yet more disappointment.

Some of my friends have moved on to Destiny 2, and I'm starting to wonder whether I shouldn't follow.
    I've played very sporadically lately, mostly because I always seem to get thrown into teams consisting of idiots who can't work together to save their lives. One a semi-but-not-quite-related note...got POTG as Lucio yesterday...sextuple kill....awesome, right? The only two people to on our team to "card" (as I call it) were me, the the Mercy that had done less than 10% of the total healing...guess who got all the up-votes? I'll give you a clue....it wasn't the player that scored the sextuple kill...

I've moved off to Destiny 2, mostly, myself lately...at least there, I don't have to worry about idiots who don't support their team, even with Strike missions.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ditto. I like Mercy's rez change, but the new ult is just annoying, the game did not need yet another zippy, impossible to hit gnat to shoot out of the sky. And Junkrat is my most reviled character in the game: Spam bombs in the general direction of the enemy, and watch as you get gold damage and eliminations by accident. The Blizzard developers seem to take a perverse glee in nerfing heroes that require skill and buffing ones that are relatively mindless and unchallenging.

I feel like the balance has been getting worse instead of better lately, and balance has moved away from "how do we make sure certain characters aren't too weak or too strong" to "how do we throw a monkey wrench into the prevailing meta" and "let's completely rework characters based on a small segment of the player base complaining loudly."
    I don't think it's that, it's more of a fundamental problem. If you make low skill floor heroes competitive at top-skill play, they become dominant at the middle to low ranks, because the benefits you've conveyed disproportionately affect bad players in comparison to good ones. Junkrat used to be a weak pick in top tier play, barring a few specific situations (Anubis defense, for example). Now he's marginally better, so he's marginally more effective on the things he was good at, more or less no change to any other situation where he wasn't good (Hollywood Streets, for example), and, of course, completely out of hand in the 'poke at the choke' meta that is low SR play.

To be fair, you can shoot Junkrat's ult, and barriers do prevent it damaging those behind one(Rein, Winston, Orisa, possibly Symmetra).
    Junkrat's ult is so easy to get value from, and launch from comparative safety, compared to many other ultimates. Yes, you can shoot it. So, launch from unexpected angles, climb walls, wait for the audio to fade, etc. Plus, the barrier does nothing if you go through it before you trigger. Rip-tire is a lot harder to shoot down than it used to be, and it's still one of the easiest ultimates to charge, due to the high volume of high-damage emanating from Junk. He gets ~14% ult charge from every 200 damage inflicted, but doing AoE damage means it can stack up really, really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    I've played very sporadically lately, mostly because I always seem to get thrown into teams consisting of idiots who can't work together to save their lives.
    This is the real power of Junkrat, and why I hate him so much. He's pretty trivial to knock over if you have a tank who will neutralize his fire for a second, while your DPS just blasts him in the face. But in a PUG where the D.va stands back spamming a bullet mist in the general direction of the enemy, the Winston over-extends and dies alone, and the rest of your team is composed DPS trying to flank by themselves, it's really, really easy for Junkrat to just blow up everyone who gets close.

One a semi-but-not-quite-related note...got POTG as Lucio yesterday...sextuple kill....awesome, right? The only two people to on our team to "card" (as I call it) were me, the the Mercy that had done less than 10% of the total healing...guess who got all the up-votes? I'll give you a clue....it wasn't the player that scored the sextuple kill...
    Upvotes are your booby prize for doing a boring job that no one wants to do. They have nothing to do with anything resembling merit. Hey, at least you got a card. I've had quite a few games where I'm triple Gold on my team, and who gets a card from my team? The Reinhardt with 'damage absorbed', because he kept initiating while his supports were being eaten alive by flankers.

I've moved off to Destiny 2, mostly, myself lately...at least there, I don't have to worry about idiots who don't support their team, even with Strike missions.
    I bought it for PC, so I'll give it a whirl, though I doubt I'm going to find it as engaging as Overwatch, just from the basic gameplay. I'm holding out that Blizzard will come to their senses and drain the competitive swamp.