Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728
Results 811 to 829 of 829
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AsteriskAmp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    I meant that it is too weak when compared with the other sniper kits. I know that her scoped and unscoped shots do the same damage. Widomaker gets a big damage boost by sacrificing her perif. vision, Ana get's squat for putting her blinders on. Hanzo can't scope in, but he doesn't have to...get that arrow shot on a hitbox and your pretty much guaranteed a long range insta-kill. Ana might as well not bother scoping...it serves no real purpose. She can just hip fire into a group, if she hit's a friend, they get some healing, if she hits a foe, they take a little damage....
    The scope... is a scope. It does what a scope is meant to do, zoom-in. Furthermore it makes your bullets hitscan, makes the healing hitbox FAR MORE GENEROUS and let's you aim at targets far away. Your scope comes up rather fast and you can come out of it before it's even fully up.

    The scope let's you aim at things that are far away, that's already a big benefit. There is never a cluster big enough that you'll ever be able to just fire in a general direction. Healing and damage target prioritization is super important just in general. During team fights you shouldn't really afford to mess up aiming at the wrong ally or not helping secure a pick. Unscoped shooting has a travel time, your bullets are slower than a Mei's icicle, Zenyatta's status orb, and Hanzo's fully drawn bow and just a tad faster than Torb's rivet shotgun. Being able to focus fire and help secure picks, pile damage, support allies being focused without having to dive into their proximity and in general have more freedom in your positioning are massive tactical advantages.


    Spoiler: Projectile Travel Speeds per the Wiki
    Show

    • Zenyatta, Orb of Harmony: 106.66 meters per second
    • Zenyatta, Orb of Discord: 106.66 meters per second
    • Mei, Icicle: 88.88 meters per second
    • Hanzo, Storm Bow (Fully Drawn): 86.66 meters per second
    • Ana, Biotic Rifle (Unscoped): 85.5 meters per second
    • Torbjorn, Rivet Gun (Alternate): 80 meters per second
    • Zenyatta, Orb of Destruction: 66.66 meters per second
    • Zenyatta, Orb Volley: 66.66 meters per second
    • Orisa, Fusion Driver: 60 meters per second
    • Roadhog, Scrap Gun (Main): 57 meters per second
    • Roadhog, Scrap Gun (Alternate): 57 meters per second
    • Torbjorn, Rivet Gun (Main): 57 meters per second
    • Genji, Shuriken: 47 meters per second
    • Genji, Fan of Blades: 47 meters per second
    • Bastion, Cannon: 44 meters per second
    • Mercy, Caduceus Blaster: 40 meters per second
    • Roadhog, Hook: 40 meters per second
    • D.Va, Light Gun: 40 meters per second
    • Soldier 76, Helix Rockets: 40 meters per second
    • Lucio, Sonic Amplifier: 33.33 meters per second
    • Pharah, Rocket Launcher: 28.5 meters per second
    • Pharah, Concussive Blast: 28.5 meters per second
    • Pharah, Barrage: 28.5 meters per second
    • Reinhardt, Fire Strike: 26.66 meters per second
    • Hanzo, Storm Bow (Minimum Draw): 26 meters per second
    • Zarya, Particle Cannon (Alternate): 23.5 meters per second
    • Zarya, Graviton Surge: 23.5 meters per second
    • Mei, Endothermic Blaster: 20 meters per second
    • Orisa, Halt!: 20 meters per second
    • Orisa, Protective Barrier: 19 meters per second
    • Sombra, Translocator: 19 meters per second
    • Widowmaker, Venom Mine: 19 meters per second
    • Junkrat, Frag Launcher: 17.5 meters per second
    • Junkrat, Concussion Mine: 17.5 meters per second
    • Torbjorn, Armor Pack: 12 meters per second
    • Symmetra, Energy Ball: 10 meters per second


  2. - Top - End - #812
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    gomipile's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post

    I don't think you're really supposed to score headshots with her, but you are definitely a welcome addition as a bonus few damage points that might prevent a Pharah from getting a full ult off or something.
    None of Ana's attacks or abilities have a headshot bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

  3. - Top - End - #813
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Winthur's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Ne, Mokkun~
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    None of Ana's attacks or abilities have a headshot bonus.
    Of course not. That's what I'm trying to say - her sniper rifle's scope isn't there for headshots. I apologise for making this sound like Ana has such a mechanic built in.

    Just today I had a QP game where Ana's scope scored me 15 elims (silver medal) solely off of picking off wounded supports, out of position short-ranged DPSers (Junkrat in the open area of Hanamura 1) and dealing chip damage to whoever is closeby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.
    Check out my Hitman challenge runs!

  4. - Top - End - #814
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Quote Originally Posted by AsteriskAmp View Post
    Mei's right click is great practice for Ana's dart, while Ana dart is very slightly slower the shooting delay and travel speed are pretty close.
    That right there is an excellent idea, and one I wouldn't have thought of. I'll give that a try.

    I do wish you could scope her dart though (making it also hitscan) - I feel that would be a great buff for her without putting her out of balance.

    Quote Originally Posted by AsteriskAmp View Post
    On the other hand, if you aren't doing damage on the healing lulls you really shouldn't be playing Ana. She has lower healing rate compared to the two other main healers, and this is compensated by the biotic grenade (on enemies and allied tanks), the dart (as ult and cc) and the ability to heal and damage at a much greater distance. (Obviously comparatively, play whatever you like/want to get good at/etc. It's just not the optimal healer choice since her effectiveness is predicated on the offensive side of her kit and proper positioning much more than other healers.)
    Yep, that's exactly why I play her. DPSing when not healing was my bread and butter even in my WoW days, and she excels at it even more since she's the only healer with a hitscan weapon (most of the time), AoE damage, and even better range than Zen. (Well, I suppose Soldier has those things, but hush I'm making a point here.)


    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Alphonse by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  5. - Top - End - #815
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Velaryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    It had been a while since I had any vitriol aimed at me by teammates, until yesterday.

    I got called out while playing Lúcio by two teammates. They said I was trash for "not playing with the group." I was spending as much time as I could on the objective, and while I was there, I didn't go more than a few yards off it to heal anyone.

    Through the whole match, I had gold objective time on the Tab screen. The player yelling at me most was playing Widow. Not that it matters too much, but I finished with gold healing, even though we also had a Mercy on our team both rounds.

    The map was Lijiang Tower, if that matters. And it was Quick Play. /shrug
    For what it's worth, it sounds like you did the same thing I would have. I play at or near the objective, so if my teammates are running off trying to spawn camp (which always happens when I play with randoms), they get too far for me to heal. Consoles have no chat except mics, and I only wear mine when I'm in a private party with friends, so I have no idea if people get salty about my not abandoning the objective to save them from their own stupidity.

    But them I'm also the vengeful jerk who replies "Acknowledged" and then doesn't do anything when I get sick of a player spamming "I need healing!" after they ran off on their own and left me to die.

  6. - Top - End - #816
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Vitriol aside, the Widow player wasn't entirely wrong. On KotH maps, you should avoid sitting on the objective - it bunches your team up and generally there are too many vantage points and means of access for your team to adequately control. As long as you control the point, it doesn't matter where you fight, it will still keep counting up. Stay near it so you can all run back to delete a flanker who's trying to cap, but sitting directly on it is unnecessary.

    Of course, as Lucio your job is always to stay near your team, so if the team isn't budging from the point feel free to ignore the above.


    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Alphonse by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  7. - Top - End - #817
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Velaryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Playing too far off from the objective is a good way to get a Tracer, Sombra, or Genji capping it from behind, which forces you to either turn around and deal with them (thus reducing the number of people fighting against the rest of their team) or lose the objective. If you can establish a good holding place that's not on the objective but is near enough where you can deal with flankers without weakening your defense enough to let the rest of the enemy team through, then okay. But in my experience that tends to apply more to hybrid maps like Eichenwalde, King's Row, Hollywood, etc. where they have to capture the payload and then move it.

    Most points on Nepal, Lijiang Tower, Oasis, etc. are fairly defensible on the point itself.
    Last edited by Velaryon; Yesterday at 12:50 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #818
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Togath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Honest question: do most people find it easier to hit distance targets when using scopes in games?
    I mean, i get that's the intention behind them, but for me it always ups the difficulty.
    Nine Lives Disciple(PoW archetype), Quicksilver Lance(wip PoW archetype)
    Kitty over on Steam. Furries itP
    "Dahlia" in a certain fallen city
    Yamabushi(mystic archetype)

    "If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable." ~found on a badly translated store page on steam

  9. - Top - End - #819
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Honest question: do most people find it easier to hit distance targets when using scopes in games?
    I mean, i get that's the intention behind them, but for me it always ups the difficulty.
    At very long ranges, yes, the scope helps. Otherwise I agree, an accurate weapon on its own is usually enough. I land more hits with McCree than with Widowmaker.

    The problem of course is that Widow and Ana need to scope for other reasons. With Widow, not scoping ruins your dps. With Ana, it allows you to keep healthy teammates from blocking your shots to injured ones or foes. In both cases, the scope makes you more effective.


    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Alphonse by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Togath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    At very long ranges, yes, the scope helps. Otherwise I agree, an accurate weapon on its own is usually enough. I land more hits with McCree than with Widowmaker.

    The problem of course is that Widow and Ana need to scope for other reasons. With Widow, not scoping ruins your dps. With Ana, it allows you to keep healthy teammates from blocking your shots to injured ones or foes. In both cases, the scope makes you more effective.
    Hmm... I just sort of wish you could at least do Ana-ish shots when unscoped as Widow.
    Also, saw a short video and now I'm curious: can Zayra really do mini-rocket jumps using her gun's alt-fire?
    Nine Lives Disciple(PoW archetype), Quicksilver Lance(wip PoW archetype)
    Kitty over on Steam. Furries itP
    "Dahlia" in a certain fallen city
    Yamabushi(mystic archetype)

    "If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable." ~found on a badly translated store page on steam

  11. - Top - End - #821
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AsteriskAmp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Playing too far off from the objective is a good way to get a Tracer, Sombra, or Genji capping it from behind, which forces you to either turn around and deal with them (thus reducing the number of people fighting against the rest of their team) or lose the objective. If you can establish a good holding place that's not on the objective but is near enough where you can deal with flankers without weakening your defense enough to let the rest of the enemy team through, then okay. But in my experience that tends to apply more to hybrid maps like Eichenwalde, King's Row, Hollywood, etc. where they have to capture the payload and then move it.

    Most points on Nepal, Lijiang Tower, Oasis, etc. are fairly defensible on the point itself.
    Even in KotH. If someone is backcapping it's a 5v6 fight, if defending team takes a single pick they can spare two people to go kill the flanker. Even if they respond without coordination, that flanker is getting ganked.

    The objective is meant to be harder to defend on top. There are chokes just in front of it almost always. And while those have side routes, the side routes end before the objective so you can spare a glance now and then to check no one is flanking (sure the entire team could go that way, but they usually never do and if they did you just slightly readjust positioning).

    Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Honest question: do most people find it easier to hit distance targets when using scopes in games?
    I mean, i get that's the intention behind them, but for me it always ups the difficulty.
    Absolutely. You can change the scope sensitivity (it's always relative to your unscoped sensibility) so you manage how much more fine control you want when scoped. I feel 1-1 scoped sensitivity works the best for me.

    Because Blizzard code good and is much smart, scoped sens can't have decimals and there are different values for short and for long movements to get 1-1. 38 for short movements and 50 for long. I do 38 since if I'm doing a 180 scoped something has gone horribly wrong and I may be suffering from massive loss of peripheral vision.

    Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Also, saw a short video and now I'm curious: can Zayra really do mini-rocket jumps using her gun's alt-fire?
    Yes, not recommended at high energy but she CAN rocket jump almost all the same things S76 can.

  12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Up there past them trees!

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    I think Ana's main problem is that she's difficult to play in typical QP environment of everyone except you being DPS. Genji and Tracer are hard to heal and generally healing is difficult when everyone disperses superfast, there's no grouping, and everyone thinks it's Team Deathmatch.
    Healing flanker Heroes as Ana should always be at the bottom of your healing priority. You do have the hitbox advantage when healing teammates, but in general, they've got the mobility to see to themselves, for the most part, and shouldn't be taking that much damage to begin with. Tracer, for example, is a really bad healing target, because the difference in durability between full health Tracer and not-full health Tracer is fairly negligible. If they come back and hold still for you, great, if you can snap-shot them for a quick heal fine, but in general, if they're doing their job, they're out of your line of sight anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Plus her scoped shots are too weak. Widow and Hanzo can kill a person at extreme range with one shot. Shoot a Widomaker (or Hanzo, or anybody else for that matter) with an Ana scoped shot, and she will be able to move before you can get another shot off.
    Ana is a healer, not a sniper, but while she's at a disadvantage versus the other snipers, she's not without advantages. Of all sniper Heroes, she's the only one who can quick-scope. A uncharged Widowmaker will do 12 damage, 30 on a headshot. Ana does 60, all the time. That said, the biggest problem sniping with Ana is that you'll frequently get your shots blocked by your teammates. Regardless, you should not engage in sniper duels with Ana, that is not her wheelhouse. Your job is to hit your teammates with heals. Odds are good if you're in a stand-off position where you're scoping in to heal your team, you're in a bad, isolated position, and will quickly be murdered by a flanker. Also, if you're hard-scoping, you're also basically firing off signal flares showing your position. Ana's hipfire projectiles are much more innocuous.

    Quote Originally Posted by AsteriskAmp View Post
    On the other hand, if you aren't doing damage on the healing lulls you really shouldn't be playing Ana. She has lower healing rate compared to the two other main healers, and this is compensated by the biotic grenade (on enemies and allied tanks), the dart (as ult and cc) and the ability to heal and damage at a much greater distance. (Obviously comparatively, play whatever you like/want to get good at/etc. It's just not the optimal healer choice since her effectiveness is predicated on the offensive side of her kit and proper positioning much more than other healers.)
    Ana can heal 90 health per second, BEFORE Biotic grenade, so no, she's quite capable of out-healing Mercy on a single target. Even including her reload time, she can out-sustain Mercy if she lands her shots, doing a solid 75 healing per second, and honestly, if your team can't put someone down to win the engagement in the 8 second window it takes to unload your clip, the problem is them, not you. What really makes or breaks Ana is whether you can reliably hit your teammates. Miss heals, and yes, your team will wish you were queuing on Mercy. And as for 'you need to do damage to justify playing Ana over another healer', that's just not true. For example, Mercy can out-damage Ana with her popgun. She does 200 DPS compared to Ana's 72. Sure, Ana's scope fire is more accurate, but Mercy's gunfire can pass through friendlies, which is a distinct advantage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Vitriol aside, the Widow player wasn't entirely wrong. On KotH maps, you should avoid sitting on the objective - it bunches your team up and generally there are too many vantage points and means of access for your team to adequately control. As long as you control the point, it doesn't matter where you fight, it will still keep counting up. Stay near it so you can all run back to delete a flanker who's trying to cap, but sitting directly on it is unnecessary.
    Precisely, you want to fight from an advantageous position that commands a good chokepoint or approach. Squatting on the point cedes the high ground to the other team, and you're better off commanding that high ground and engaging the enemy team as they come from spawn to re-take.

    Of course, as Lucio your job is always to stay near your team, so if the team isn't budging from the point feel free to ignore the above.
    This is the bigger issue. The whole point of playing a Sniper is that you're able to apply damage to the enemy team without requiring that much babysitting. You shouldn't expect much active intervention especially from a Lucio. (Sure, let me truck on over to you and leave the rest of my team without heals).

    Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Playing too far off from the objective is a good way to get a Tracer, Sombra, or Genji capping it from behind, which forces you to either turn around and deal with them (thus reducing the number of people fighting against the rest of their team) or lose the objective. If you can establish a good holding place that's not on the objective but is near enough where you can deal with flankers without weakening your defense enough to let the rest of the enemy team through, then okay. But in my experience that tends to apply more to hybrid maps like Eichenwalde, King's Row, Hollywood, etc. where they have to capture the payload and then move it.
    I've generally found back-capping and the like to be a fairly rare occurrence, even at my low SR. You definitely will note that most control points in Overwatch are surrounded by higher ground from which they can be attacked. I think the most easily defensible capture points are Nepal Village and Ilios Ruins, because the lines of sight into the point are less open than other maps, like Ilios Well or Li'jiang Tower Control Center.

    Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Hmm... I just sort of wish you could at least do Ana-ish shots when unscoped as Widow.
    Also, saw a short video and now I'm curious: can Zayra really do mini-rocket jumps using her gun's alt-fire?
    Yes, Zarya can knock herself around with her alt-fire.

    The main thing to remember is that a Widow headshot can do 300 fully charged, so against most normal charges, you don't need to let it charge up all the way, and in fact should practice a faster firing tempo in the practice range. In my experience, waiting til the second chevron lights up is a good threshold for deciding to fire.

  13. - Top - End - #823
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Togath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    It's less scope sensitivity(I do like it higher, when I have to use it), and more how little I can see. Plus zooming in is disorienting.

    ...also wait, Soldier 76 can rocket jump!? How?
    Nine Lives Disciple(PoW archetype), Quicksilver Lance(wip PoW archetype)
    Kitty over on Steam. Furries itP
    "Dahlia" in a certain fallen city
    Yamabushi(mystic archetype)

    "If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable." ~found on a badly translated store page on steam

  14. - Top - End - #824
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AsteriskAmp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Ana can heal 90 health per second, BEFORE Biotic grenade, so no, she's quite capable of out-healing Mercy on a single target. Even including her reload time, she can out-sustain Mercy if she lands her shots, doing a solid 75 healing per second, and honestly, if your team can't put someone down to win the engagement in the 8 second window it takes to unload your clip, the problem is them, not you. What really makes or breaks Ana is whether you can reliably hit your teammates. Miss heals, and yes, your team will wish you were queuing on Mercy. And as for 'you need to do damage to justify playing Ana over another healer', that's just not true. For example, Mercy can out-damage Ana with her popgun. She does 200 DPS compared to Ana's 72. Sure, Ana's scope fire is more accurate, but Mercy's gunfire can pass through friendlies, which is a distinct advantage.
    Ana heals 82.5 hp/s, she heals 75HP over 0.9s (the shot heals you in ticks upward quickly but not the whole thing instantly) and she does 1.1 shots per second, they are roughly the same in terms of rate so it ends up being 82.5-83.3.

    However that implies the shot is healing for full and that you are shooting a single target. It also ignores reload times. While Lucio area heals means that you are probably healing at least 1 teammate at a time and potentially more (in which case he becomes the highest heals per second in the game), and Mercy can just switch to the blue beam, Ana needs to be shooting allies that have taken over 75hp to keep up those numbers. Not to mention target switching is noticeably slower with her since you have to aim. Not only that but it assumes you aren't missing shots, a single stray shot massively tanks your heals per second number.

    The grenade is an amazing tool, but it has a long cooldown and it only helps the allies that were in it.

    Mercy is 100dps not 200 and she has to switch weapons to do that, in practice you are better blue beaming the guy on fire or the least incompetent of your allies. Ana's advantage is the ability to chip, have a more varied set of viable positions and reasonably self defend. It's not only do damage, it's using the kit to it's full extent since most of the times Ana overall healing ends up being lower than the 2 other main healers unless the enemy team is focusing a naded D.Va all of the match. And doing damage and helping or taking picks is rather important when allies are relatively healthy since Ana has no speed boost/perpetual area heals/damage boost and why waste ammo on incomplete heals.

    Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    ...also wait, Soldier 76 can rocket jump!? How?
    Helix Rocket.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; Yesterday at 06:25 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #825
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Togath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Cool! I've got to try that... even if it's not as impressive as a certain other Soldier's, it still sounds like a useful trick.
    Nine Lives Disciple(PoW archetype), Quicksilver Lance(wip PoW archetype)
    Kitty over on Steam. Furries itP
    "Dahlia" in a certain fallen city
    Yamabushi(mystic archetype)

    "If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable." ~found on a badly translated store page on steam

  16. - Top - End - #826
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Up there past them trees!

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Quote Originally Posted by AsteriskAmp View Post
    Ana heals 82.5 hp/s, she heals 75HP over 0.9s (the shot heals you in ticks upward quickly but not the whole thing instantly) and she does 1.1 shots per second, they are roughly the same in terms of rate so it ends up being 82.5-83.3.
    Gamepedia has her fire rate at 1.2 shots per second, hence our math discrepancy. I'm not sure who's right, but I'm ready to take their word for it. At any rate, either figure out-sustains Mercy's 60 hps, including factoring in reloads (~70 hps with a full unload-reload cycle). And, again, if your team can't get an edge in the window of time where you still have shots, that's on them.

    [QUOTE]However that implies the shot is healing for full and that you are shooting a single target. It also ignores reload times. While Lucio area heals means that you are probably healing at least 1 teammate at a time and potentially more (in which case he becomes the highest heals per second in the game), and Mercy can just switch to the blue beam, Ana needs to be shooting allies that have taken over 75hp to keep up those numbers. Not to mention target switching is noticeably slower with her since you have to aim. Not only that but it assumes you aren't missing shots, a single stray shot massively tanks your heals per second number.[QUOTE]

    Lucio heals 16.25 hps on allies in his vicinity, plus just over 12 on himself. So, to exceed Ana's 70 health per second, he's got to be healing 4 teammates, plus himself. Not impossible, but also not a gimme. Besides, burst healing is, by nature, better than AoE healing, because it tops off the people who need it. I don't mean to trash Lucio, he's great, but when Soldier can gun someone down in a second (not remotely unlikely at close range) an extra 16 health is not going to make a huge difference.

    The grenade is an amazing tool, but it has a long cooldown and it only helps the allies that were in it.
    True, but the same could be said for Lucio's 'Amp it up'.

    Mercy is 100dps not 200 and she has to switch weapons to do that, in practice you are better blue beaming the guy on fire or the least incompetent of your allies. Ana's advantage is the ability to chip, have a more varied set of viable positions and reasonably self defend. It's not only do damage, it's using the kit to it's full extent since most of the times Ana overall healing ends up being lower than the 2 other main healers unless the enemy team is focusing a naded D.Va all of the match.
    Mea culpa, that was a typo. However, as to boosting being better than shooting, not necessarily. +30% of Soldier's damage is 60 DPS, compared to 100 DPS for her gun. Now boosting has other advantages. Depending on your target, 30% of a hitscan can be preferable to 100% of your own fire. You can also boost around corners, staying safely out of LOS while your teammates peek. Finally, you can toggle between healing and boosting much faster than swapping from your weapon.

    However, there are still times that it's going to be good to spam your gun. If there's a barrier blocking your team's fire, breaking it earlier can absolutely be worth the fire. If you have a long corridor you can fill with fire, you can also do a lot of work. And, of course, if you don't have anyone to fly out of harm's way to, you might not have any choice, so it's shoot or die (or possibly both). However, in any case, the reason Ana has trouble posting higher healing numbers is, IMO, because it's often difficult to be consistent with her, and that is mostly a function not of her inaccuracy, but because of your shots being body-blocked by friendlies. That super-generous hitbox on your shots can work against you, and often does. IMO, that's one of her biggest challenges, is that your positioning needs to account for having transverse options to selectively target team-members.

    Look, I'm not saying shooting enemies with Ana is incorrect, one of her strengths is her ability to instantly swap between healing and hurting, while not giving up ground on Mercy for single-target throughput.

  17. - Top - End - #827
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Velaryon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Precisely, you want to fight from an advantageous position that commands a good chokepoint or approach. Squatting on the point cedes the high ground to the other team, and you're better off commanding that high ground and engaging the enemy team as they come from spawn to re-take.
    Again , I find this morre applicable on hybrid maps like Numbani than on KotH maps like Nepal or Oasis. Look at Nepal Sanctum, for example. There is higher ground on three sides, with the drop down from above on the fourth. None of it is elevated enough to make much difference. Every time my team takes the point and then tries to move off it to defend, it becomes a losing battle. Defenders now have a longer walk back from respawn. There Isn't a good choke point up there. And someone always drops down into the room behind the point and starts to cap because there's no one there.

    I've generally found back-capping and the like to be a fairly rare occurrence, even at my low SR. You definitely will note that most control points in Overwatch are surrounded by higher ground from which they can be attacked. I think the most easily defensible capture points are Nepal Village and Ilios Ruins, because the lines of sight into the point are less open than other maps, like Ilios Well or Li'jiang Tower Control Center.
    You must play against different people than I do then, because in my experience an empty objective is basically a guarantee that you will have a Tracer or Sombra slip back there within a minute or two.

  18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AsteriskAmp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Gamepedia has her fire rate at 1.2 shots per second, hence our math discrepancy. I'm not sure who's right, but I'm ready to take their word for it. At any rate, either figure out-sustains Mercy's 60 hps, including factoring in reloads (~70 hps with a full unload-reload cycle). And, again, if your team can't get an edge in the window of time where you still have shots, that's on them.
    With the amount of patches that have been centered on screwing around with healers I have no idea if even one of us might even be correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Lucio heals 16.25 hps on allies in his vicinity, plus just over 12 on himself. So, to exceed Ana's 70 health per second, he's got to be healing 4 teammates, plus himself. Not impossible, but also not a gimme. Besides, burst healing is, by nature, better than AoE healing, because it tops off the people who need it. I don't mean to trash Lucio, he's great, but when Soldier can gun someone down in a second (not remotely unlikely at close range) an extra 16 health is not going to make a huge difference.
    The best type of healing is going to depend on context. If the enemy team is not focusing a single member of your team team heals are going to be better. The advantage of Lucio is not having to really care what team mate got shot as long as SOMEONE got shot close by. Ana has to be fully aware of which of her targets got shot and how much each tick of the healthbar represents. A Zarya chunk is VERY VERY different from a Tracer health chunk.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Mea culpa, that was a typo. However, as to boosting being better than shooting, not necessarily. +30% of Soldier's damage is 60 DPS, compared to 100 DPS for her gun. Now boosting has other advantages. Depending on your target, 30% of a hitscan can be preferable to 100% of your own fire. You can also boost around corners, staying safely out of LOS while your teammates peek. Finally, you can toggle between healing and boosting much faster than swapping from your weapon.
    You need to be landing all of the shots for her DPS to match the theoretical damage, which is while possible unlikely (and if you are doing that, why the hell are you playing Mercy?!). More importantly than all of that, blue beam increases your allies ult acquisition rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    However, there are still times that it's going to be good to spam your gun. If there's a barrier blocking your team's fire, breaking it earlier can absolutely be worth the fire. If you have a long corridor you can fill with fire, you can also do a lot of work. And, of course, if you don't have anyone to fly out of harm's way to, you might not have any choice, so it's shoot or die (or possibly both).
    It really depends, if it's early in the game, damage boosting allies is still better, since it increases their ult acquisition rate (one point of damage is point of ult charge). The handgun only gets YOU ult and yours is going to be up before anyone else most likely anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    However, in any case, the reason Ana has trouble posting higher healing numbers is, IMO, because it's often difficult to be consistent with her, and that is mostly a function not of her inaccuracy, but because of your shots being body-blocked by friendlies. That super-generous hitbox on your shots can work against you, and often does. IMO, that's one of her biggest challenges, is that your positioning needs to account for having transverse options to selectively target team-members.

    Look, I'm not saying shooting enemies with Ana is incorrect, one of her strengths is her ability to instantly swap between healing and hurting, while not giving up ground on Mercy for single-target throughput.
    I think we agree on the premises and just differ on the conclusions. Ana is not a bad pure healer, heck on paper she's probably the best even if accounting for all of the technicalities of each ability. But I feel if you want to do pure healing, Ana is not the ideal character for such a playstyle. She needs quite a lot of offensive thought in mind both for positioning as well as survival. Her kit is geared towards her actually switching between healing and damaging, not doing that is just not utilizing her to her full potential, at which point why not use a hero who's full potential is exactly what you want to do, namely Mercy (since Lucio dps is retarded high right now).
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; Today at 03:48 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Silverraptor's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    A nice, sparkly place.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

    And... Doomfist is Live!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •