New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

Quote Originally Posted by Rising Phoenix View Post
    I generally have more trouble with good mcrees than soldiers as a healer and it is probably that I cannot counter the burst damage as effectively. Which is true.

What McCree has over soldier is flashbang. If they buff that he can become a more reliable tracer/genji check and whoo boy are those two running rampant at higher ranks along with the buffed Winston.
    I appreciate that, but given that I've got statistics showing that Soldier is steadily better than McCree, and the much higher usage rate Soldier sees at the tournament level, the notion that McCree is in any way comparable with Soldier isn't borne out by the facts. Plus, consider that Soldier can crush a Tracer with a direct Helix more easily and more often than McCree can land a flash/fan.

McCree is just BAD, in a meta where all offense is bad. He's not the worst, but he's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    The flashbang having some range and radius to speak of wouldn't hurt. It'd be actually useful in lining up shots.
    My suggestions for making McCree's flashbang good:

1) 8 second cooldown. Quite simply, he needs flashbang more often.

2) Immediately cancel target momentum. When you get flashed, you stop where you're hit, IMMEDIATELY.

3) No backlash. Roadhog's hook doesn't rebound when deflected by Genji, nor does deflect work against Mei's freeze. I'm fine with the deflect protecting Genji against the stun, but getting stunned your self, and worse still, stunning your teammates because Genji popped his deflect is intolerable.

While we're at it, give McCree stun immunity while ulting, and maybe a 30% damage reduction. You can still deflect, still defense matrix, still throw up a barrier or ice block, but the 'please kill me' ult is the single worst thing about McCree.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

Now I'm curious, how high can the multikill counter count? I could swear I heard it say "Septuple kill!" tonight(on a 500% and instant respawn server).
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Now I'm curious, how high can the multikill counter count? I could swear I heard it say "Septuple kill!" tonight(on a 500% and instant respawn server).
    Doesn't appear to go any higher https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnc0yjVq0Tw

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Doing better today and yesterday. rather easy wins, but I'm not sure why.
    I won't claim I'm carrying anyone but I do realize my fundamentals (for lack of a better word) are there. I don't do fancy stunts but I seem to have basic survival down, and also my ability to bring my ultimate and boosts where they're needed (mostly by bringing myself there).
    A big part of it is that my muscle memory is settling in. I no longer try to throw a non-existent mine when trapped and instead turn on speed boost and try to jet away.

Also I had my first healing spamming Genji this morning. Talk to the hand, or Ana. I'm trying to block a payload and keep the other three ppl doing the same alive.
    (The Genji was good, he got POTG. Just stop yelling for me!)

This discussion will be even more relevant after his changes goes live. I hope I'll be able to adapt to the changes.

Edit: A nano boosted Lucio can actually be useful.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-03-23 at 06:29 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Doesn't appear to go any higher https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnc0yjVq0Tw
    Theoretically, you could kill the entire enemy team "by yourself", if you stack Zarya's gravity well with, D.Va's self destruct, Or just got really lucky with it.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    My suggestions for making McCree's flashbang good:

1) 8 second cooldown. Quite simply, he needs flashbang more often.

2) Immediately cancel target momentum. When you get flashed, you stop where you're hit, IMMEDIATELY.

3) No backlash. Roadhog's hook doesn't rebound when deflected by Genji, nor does deflect work against Mei's freeze. I'm fine with the deflect protecting Genji against the stun, but getting stunned your self, and worse still, stunning your teammates because Genji popped his deflect is intolerable.

While we're at it, give McCree stun immunity while ulting, and maybe a 30% damage reduction. You can still deflect, still defense matrix, still throw up a barrier or ice block, but the 'please kill me' ult is the single worst thing about McCree.
    Those are all good, but I think the flashbang needs reasonable range and radius first. Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to hit anyone who's not right under my nose with it.
    Last edited by Morty; 2017-03-23 at 10:05 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Those are all good, but I think the flashbang needs reasonable range and radius first. Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to hit anyone who's not right under my nose with it/
    I'm actually okay with the range as-is. I'd rather have it be powerful with a small range than weaker in a large one. McCree's already pretty decent at range (not better than Soldier, which is fine, if McCree improves as you get close).

In other news: Yesterday, I decided to take my own rants on McCree being weak and Soldier being OP, and put them to the test in Quick play. While I'm not a particularly outstanding Soldier, I'm definitely far better able to carry with him than with other heroes. He's not quite strong enough to carry 5 scrubs, but he's extremely effective when you play him right: Stick to high ground, prioritize Pharah (because no one else is better suited to shooting her down), stay behind your tanks, near your healers, and above all, KEEP SHOOTING. I went 4/2 on him last night, both of my losses were on offense on Hanimura, which is pretty much an auto-lose if you don't have a coordinated team, and the two losses were just a mess of poke at the choke garbage with no attempt to even try to push the objective.

That's the one thing I'll say for Competitive: Both sides have to play offense AND defense, since some of the map balance is so rubbish.
    Last edited by The_Jackal; 2017-03-23 at 07:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

So... how do I hit things as a Pharah?
    Like, do I seriously need to hit targets dead center in mid air with slow attack from a mile away while flying?
    It's proving almost as hard as Reaper for me(who's main issue seems to be that his range is comparable to Reinhardt).
    Last edited by Togath; 2017-03-24 at 11:08 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

9. - Top - End - #279
    Bugbear in the Playground

Like, do I seriously need to hit targets dead center in mid air with slow attack from a mile away while flying?
    It's proving almost as hard as Reaper for me(who's main issue seems to be that his range is comparable to Reinhardt).
    Mid air targets, yes, they're difficult. If its an enemy Pharah/Mercy, try and see if they will fly near a wall/roof, and hit them for splash damage. Otherwise, yeah, you have to try to hit direct hits.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Firbolg in the Playground

You don't need to hit targets directly, her attacks have AoE which helps with hitting.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

I meant while I was midair. Hmm...
    ...Maybe I need to learn the range of the splash damage better? I'm wondering if I'm too used to Soldier in tf2.
    Meow(Steam page)

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

In my case, it's the same way I hit things as Junkrat: Filling the area around them with explosions.

I might not have the most helpful method to teach...
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    In my case, it's the same way I hit things as Junkrat: Filling the area around them with explosions.

I might not have the most helpful method to teach...
    Personally I find Junkrat so much easier to work with. A big part of that is that I never got a hang on Phara's flying; I either focus too much on that and can't aim, or I aim and forget my flying ending up landing in bad places. Junkrat is just... Blow things up. Plus I find his grenades are easier to aim for some reason.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

I've had the same experience. I mean, I'm getting better at flying as Pharah, but it's still hard to fly and aim. Plus I SUCK at using her ultimate. Even if I don't die, I rarely get more than one kill.
    Meow(Steam page)

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, finally surpassed my entry score. So new season high.

...Still bronze.

But hey, progress.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

16. - Top - End - #286

Like, do I seriously need to hit targets dead center in mid air...
    First question before I answer: PC or Console? I've heard she's harder on console, but these days I basically main Parah, so I may be able to help.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

I'm actually okay with the range as-is. I'd rather have it be powerful with a small range than weaker in a large one. McCree's already pretty decent at range (not better than Soldier, which is fine, if McCree improves as you get close).
    I suppose if McCree's flashbang was more reliable and had a lower cooldown, he might really be better up close. Right now, Solider beats him there too.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    First question before I answer: PC or Console? I've heard she's harder on console, but these days I basically main Parah, so I may be able to help.
    PC. I have no current-gen consoles.
    Meow(Steam page)

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    Phara is almost impossible to land a direct hit with on Console, as the thumb stick is either under responsive, or over responsive, there is no happy medium, making quick, accurate aiming impossible. Add to this, the slow moving rockets, and your target is usually gone before they get to where your target was when you fired.

Unfortunately, the only way to get a solid hit with a flying Phara, is to lead your target, shoot where they are going to be, and hope they don't change course. This means you have to learn the flight time of your rockets and learn how much lead you need to give a moving target when you fire.

But then, that only works if your target is moving in a straight line.

Phara's main use is her mobility (the ability to jump over buildings/walls and get behind a choke) and surprise. Her concussion rocket can bump an enemy player out of position (or off a cliff/into a well) if timed correctly, and can knock a camped Widow off her perch, for example, but it's more of an nuisance than anything else.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

I use to play a lot of 1v1 mystery heroes. So when all the Pharah mirror matchups happened, with all those practice matches, i've gotten pretty good at guesstimating where an enemy pharah is going to be in a vs situation. It just goes to leading the shot to where you think they are going to end up while predicting where they will fire their missile at you and dodge it. Try to avoid being near walls to prevent splash damage, and change directions from time to time. Most Pharah's I play against tend to head in the same or similar direction, with only changing their elevation slightly. So if you reasonably understand your missile speed, you can reasonably predict where they'll be. In a match I played recently, I was able to direct hit the enemy Pharah twice in a row with the missiles for an instant kill, and then again for a second time when she showed up after respawn. Then she gave up dueling me with pharah and switched to soldier.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

So... I seem to be good at Mei, on defense, at least. Managed to triple kill(and two kills immediately after that somehow didn't count despite showing up on my highlight for the match) on my first ever time as her.
    Admittedly, maybe the other team just wasn't especially good. They kept standing still enough(the Hanzo and Ana, anyway) for me to get long range icicles on them.
    Meow(Steam page)

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Two losses, two wins so far today.
    All games except one good games.

One was hilariously even. To the point that the dualing D.Vas set off their bombs at the same time THREE TIMES over the match, basically creating dual team wipes three times.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

So apparently as a D.Va, it's possibly for something to cause you to go flying like Junkrat when you eject from your mech. I'm not quite sure what, but it didn't do damage, and acted sort of like my mech had stored knockback almost.
    Meow(Steam page)

24. - Top - End - #294

PC. I have no current-gen consoles.
    Alright.

So Parah isn't as much about direct hits as you'd like to think. When/if you can get them, do so -- you'll be rewarded by a nice, hefty 120 damage. Realistically, however, you'll only get this on unaware players, snipers, Bastions, distracted players, tanks, at very close range...or if you're very good. So you settle for as CLOSE to direct as you can get, and hope for direct.

The thing to do is practice leading your rockets. The rockets travel at 28.5 meters per second, compared to a movement speed of 5.5 meters for most characters (slightly higher for Genji, Tracer, Lucio), so they're speedy enough that you don't need to lead FAR save at the most extreme distances. Most players pick a direction and roughly stick to it when moving, so your big goal is to predict the movement and get them as close to the impact point as possible. You can also use vertical terrain -- this is ESPECIALLY good against other Parah/Mercy combos, where unless one person is extremely accurate the fight often goes to whoever is far enough away from a wall that you can't splash damage off it onto them.

Parah's playstyle (and how you aim) really comes down to which of the three niches you need to fill: harass, zoning, or hard combat.

Harassing is when you're building charge and whittling down an enemy. Here you're firing from usually long distances at the enemy, hoping to splash damage onto anyone you can, and pick off anyone who seems low. Your accuracy isn't HUGELY important (although if you can hit direct shots or priority targets do so), as the main goal is to prevent counterassaults and stall for allies while building charge. Look for unexpected angles, and try not to stay in predictable sight lines or pop up in the same place twice -- short of ulting, this is when you're most vulnerable to Soldier, Hanzo, McCree, Bastion, and Widowmaker. Remember you can move YOURSELF with your E, which may let you move in unpredictable ways or get to unusual positions quickly. A Parah jumping over the fence to the statue in King's Row, E-ing off the statue, and hovering a little bit further can make it to the sniper location on the wall behind the first point in a single go, for example, which is a very nice flank on the enemy team.

Zoning is when you're specifically laying down fire designed to keep enemies hiding. You'll be firing at corners and hiding holes, using E to disrupt people, and generally attempting to make taking up a defensive position difficult. Expect to fire the occasional warning shot even if you don't think you'll hit something -- if they're afraid to come out alone you're successful, and your team can move up. Again, obviously, go for hits if you can.

Hard Combat is when things absolutely have to die. Interesting fact about Parah? Even though there's no fall-off, you're still often better at close range combat because you can reliably get direct shots with that 120 damage weapon. If it's safe to do so (i.e. Roadhog is down or distracted, and Soldier/McCree are likewise) don't be afraid to fly closer than you would normally. Ulting especially should be done from as close as is safe (although an unexpected angle) if you're trying to kill instead of zone. The spread from long range zones well, but close proximity Parah ults SHRED enemy teams if they don't kill you first. So in a big fight don't be afraid to mix it up -- your jump and hover and E give you a great ability to play with ranges and escape to safety, so you can bounce in and out of combat as you need to based on who you're fighting. Get in against characters like Widowmaker, hop out to harass Roadhogs, and just experiment with finding angles to land rockets either ON priority targets or in the MIDDLE of packs of enemies where you just want to deal the maximum damage (if you have allies nearby to help finish them off).

The most important thing is to just practice that rocket though. Go into practice mode and just see how long it takes to hit things -- once you can hit directly (or at least get most of the splash) on your target, you have a lot more time to focus on the rest of Parah, which is properly utilizing her ability to engage and control distance in a manner no other character can really match.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Phara is almost impossible to land a direct hit with on Console...
    This is why I ask! :D
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2017-03-26 at 10:46 AM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

So pleased today.

We had two games with players leaving.
    First one we managed to lose with only 3-1, after getting the first point basically starting at 5-6. We ALMOST made second point 4-6. Damn impressive, I must say.
    Second leaver game we actually held the payload to a 0-0 despite lacking a player, ensuring a draw.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi there! I'm mostly a support main, Mercy being at the top of my list. Unfortunately, I'm **** at video games, and was placed at silver, so I've been working to get that up.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Brandles View Post
    Hi there! I'm mostly a support main, Mercy being at the top of my list. Unfortunately, I'm **** at video games, and was placed at silver, so I've been working to get that up.
    Welcome, Brandles. Remember, your rating doesn't MEAN anything until you're a professional gamer, so while improving is certainly a laudable goal, my overarching advice is to not sweat your rating. Play the game, have fun, learn from your mistakes, and your aim and game sense should improve.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Sometimes the most fun you have is while losing.

Two games last Sunday had leavers on them. One of them, that we lost, is my favorite match to date:

We (me and the rest of the team) failed to contain the situation as defenders on Gibraltar, so we were starting our Attack run at 0-3.
    Two seconds before the doors open one guy at our team leaves. Now this is when the fun starts.
    Everyone (almost) decides to give their all. We actually reached the first point at 5 vs 6, and this was against a team that beat us soundly when we were on defense as a whole team. Then, working towards the second point, one of our team decides to use the escape clause and leave when the clock allowed it. The rest of us... refused to give up.

Fighting like Warrior Poets, like True Scotsmen, we, at 4 vs 6, managed to get within meters of the second point. Yes, we expected to lose, and we did, but damn if we were going to give up at that point. I have never seen a team fight that hard, ever, and it was truly glorious.
    The fact that the "GG" messages we got in the after game screens were not of the "GG EZ" or "NOOB" variations but "HOT DAMN! GG!" was a nice bonus, too.

The second game... Almost as good: Different team, starting at defense in Mexico (whatever that map is called) and as we were taking positions one guy leaves. This game was almost as intense, but only almost. Anyway we managed to hold the payload within inches of the first point, ending at 0-0. Yes, attacking at 5 vs 6 didn't work out, but thanks to the amazing fighting spirit when we were defending we held it to a draw.

Welcome, Brandles. Remember, your rating doesn't MEAN anything until you're a professional gamer, so while improving is certainly a laudable goal, my overarching advice is to not sweat your rating. Play the game, have fun, learn from your mistakes, and your aim and game sense should improve.
    Well it means something to ME. As long as I end the season higher than I started, I am satisfied. My GOAL though is to get to Gold eventually, because that is where I honestly think my skill is.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-03-28 at 01:07 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

I had connection problems last night that kicked me out of several matches. I don't know why - none of my other devices experienced any unusual interruptions.

The first time it happened was right after a match, so no big deal. The second was really early in a match, so annoying but still not that bad. The third time, and the one that caused me to stop playing for the night, was in Lijiang Tower. I usually play Winston there but wasn't feeling it last night, so I picked Pharah. I'm usually not that great with her, but she's fun to play and tonight I actually had a great match with her.

It was one of those rare matches where the teams are well matched and there's lots of back and forth action. My team narrowly won the first round, and I felt like I was making a pretty big difference by keeping their Torb in check. I also landed a few direct hit kills on the enemy Tracer, which is unusual for me. Not sure whether I got lucky, she was bad, or what. The second round was shaping up pretty well too, until I lost connection partway through. After that I was just too disgusted to keep going, so I saved a video of the match (which I'll show if anybody cares to see it) and shut off my PS4 for the night.
    Last edited by Velaryon; 2017-03-28 at 01:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

So I got Mei's "block damage with an ice wall" achievement... By blocking the door as soon as the enemy team tried to leave.
    Like, what kind of attacks were they using for it to soak up so much?
    Meow(Steam page)