New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Ah, thanks. It is the jump button which is the issue upon reflection. Pressing/holding it while maneuvering the camera is too much to do physically with my right hand. I've seen Overwatch gameplay before but I assumed there was some kind of auto-lock feature for wallriding where you'd follow walls until they physically ended.

I didn't realize Pharah's flight required such specific button-pushing maintenance either. It's rather unwieldy, even before accounting for the accuracy issue with her rockets.

Other than that, I've been trying heroes out in quickplay and feeling rather bad in the process.

Ana needs a defined front-line to survive or she's almost pointless and really quite brittle -- everyone ran ahead of me out of spawn with super speed and by the time I got in position the fight had already been lost and Sombra + Reaper were there waiting for me.

Torbjorn worked reasonably well at first but the other team actually had two players with some skill on it for a change and that pretty much spelled his doom on Anubis defense.

Got to play Tracer for once on Hanamura, and while we won I kept getting annihilated by a turret that could auto-track me through blinks quite easily. That was until a final inevitable push where someone finally took it down for me.

All and all, I really want tanks around and for everyone to stop defending right next to the enemy spawn.
    As ANY healer you're easy prey for Reaper, Sombra, Tracer or Genji, and only a dedicated team can actually do anything about that. Trust me, I've been playing Mercy long enough. Sometimes you have to take things into your own hands, Mercy for example can actually discourage Tracer with her pistol, sometimes you just die. However, a well-placed grenade to the face can actually work wonders as Ana.

The fun (or annoying) thing with Torbjörn is that destroying his turret really means very little if you can't push right afterwards. Unlike TF2, Torbjörn can just rebuild his turret in a matter of seconds.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

I seem to have settled on using Mercy, Orisa, or Phara depending on what the team needs. They're all fun, and have cool designs.

Is there any way to get people to know we're being flanked other than voice chat? There don't seem to be any emotes for that kind of thing...and it's a little frustrating as Mercy to spot (or get jumped by) flanker(s), because there isn't a whole lot I can do other than fly away and hope whoever I flew to thinks to look behind themselves, or try ineffectually to defeat the enemy myself. This is especially annoying when the group has pushed far ahead of a defense point. I had to play cat and mouse with a Tracer for a minute or two in one game before someone else finally died and respawned.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    As ANY healer you're easy prey for Reaper, Sombra, Tracer or Genji, and only a dedicated team can actually do anything about that. Trust me, I've been playing Mercy long enough. Sometimes you have to take things into your own hands, Mercy for example can actually discourage Tracer with her pistol, sometimes you just die. However, a well-placed grenade to the face can actually work wonders as Ana.
    I could've probably engaged in some form of duel were I not immediately hacked at every encounter, though I will require quite a bit more gameplay to where I'd be comfortable with that assertion. Still, the bigger problem at this level is simply that none of my team seem cognizant of my existence as Ana or physically seek my support in any fashion. With the exception of a Roadhog who had literally no choice in the matter and got a nano-boosted ult out of the deal.

Mercy might've worked better given her mobility options and personal sustain, but I have this ongoing premonition that using Guardian Angel on anyone here will simply be floating me into the waiting maws of death to feed the cruel Overwatch gods Mercy-specific blood-lust.

This, to me, explained the ubiquity of Lucios and Zenyattas that I'd been seeing because they can still operate with very little team cohesiveness. I always give the +1 to the Support's card if it shows up simply for their existence, as the usual solo-Tank who's working on around 8 hours of sum experience here and who largely exists to provide a large illuminated target for half a dozen guns to toy with, I feel the sympathy.

I've died to Zen more than any other hero, I suppose because of his Discord Orb and that he's usually positioned furthest in the back where D.Va-ing is hardest.

The fun (or annoying) thing with Torbjörn is that destroying his turret really means very little if you can't push right afterwards. Unlike TF2, Torbjörn can just rebuild his turret in a matter of seconds.
    It took me two lives before I managed to kill it, but my celebration was immediately nixed by a fire-strike out of nowhere and then the hell began afresh, I had never fought a turret before and I was under the mistaken impression that it was fragile, it seems to require four or more of Tracer's SMG clips straight on before it finally blew up depending on how accurate I was actually being and whether it was repaired between encounters.

On the plus side, my last-minute pulse bomb which I dropped on their Bastion also managed to off their Torbjorn which was deeply satisfying.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

There's three levels of turret, which may be part of the seemingly increased toughness(though the third only appears during his ult).
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

A level 2 turret has 300 health, so as much as many heroes. It can take some punishment. If you want to destroy turrets, bigger damage is often better, like Pharah's rockets or Junkrats bombs. Not only will they take out more than Torbjörn can repair, they will also damage him in the process. Otherwise he can just duck behind his turret and keep repairing.

My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

All and all, I really want tanks around and for everyone to stop defending right next to the enemy spawn.
    The thing is...you WANT to defend close to the enemy spawn. If you defend back by the objective, then you have a lot further to run to get back into position when you die than the attackers do. Remember, the whole idea is to stop them from getting there....if you let them get there before killing them, you've lost already. They are closer to the first objective then you are, so they have the advantage.

If your going to gripe about defending, then you really should be complaining about the team that runs around outside the zone on KOTH and never seems to try to take it.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

7. - Top - End - #547
    Troll in the Playground

Defending right outside the enemy spawn lets them heal up by taking two steps, and gives them a huge advantage in both grouping up and the time it takes for them to respawn (since you have to walk all the way back and they don't).

It's basically only a good idea if the enemy team is garbage.

That being said, finding a good choke point well before the capture point and trying to hold there is generally a fine idea, yes.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

I have opened 8 anniversary boxes and haven't gotten 1 legendary skin. I am sad.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ettin in the Playground

So the new lore thing about the moon colony... are we going to get a second hyper intelligent moon gorilla as a playable character?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

Hi all! I'm here to announce that I officially must eat crow. I've sworn over and over again throughout the last two decades that I would never play an fps, a "Shooter" game and actually enjoy it and want to play more, but this past weekend my best friend insisted I download OW and play it with him. I...love this game. It is so much fun, and it's so much NOT your typical fps. I've played with a majority(but not all) the characters thus far, and while I enjoy Mei and Lucio more, Soldier 76 is clearly my best character, I"m consistently earning 1/2 or more of the gold medals almost every game I play with him(to be fair, I've also had a lot of coaching on how to play and what to look out for from said best friend, who is roughly level 150, and has level 500 friends).

I love the diversity of not just the characters and their backstories, but their movesets as well, it's all so very neat and fun. Sadly the free weekend is coming to an end, and I don't have the money to buy it, but hopefully in the near future I will be able to, which is again, words I'd never thought to hear myself utter in regards to an fps game, lol.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2017-05-30 at 04:05 AM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

The Total Mayhem arcade mode seems to have the side-effect of making Zarya extremely powerful. Lower cooldowns mean she can keep her barriers up almost all the time.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I may just have to resign myself to the fact that I'll never be able to play aim reliant characters like McCree, Hanzo, Widowmaker, and Genji. My son plays Hanzo all the time and has zero trouble getting numerous kills with him. Things move too fast for me to draw a bead on even AI controlled characters.

I have found my favorite mode and I hope it does not disappear. Total mayhem is the bomb. I don't care that matches take extra long. It is super fun.

I play a lot of D.Va, Symmetra, Soldier, Mercy, and a little bit of Tracer. I'm thinking of trying to expand my choices and think that Orisa, Mei, Lucio, and Bastion may be my best options. I've played around a little with Junkrat, Pharah, and Zarya and have yet to find a comfort level with them. I outright dislike Roadhog, but I do realize that he may be someone that I could offer some help to the group with.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

I ended up buying the game (for PC) and have also been trying out more damage characters after giving the 3v3 arcade a try. I feel really conflicted on continuing to try 3v3 though, because on one hand I don't want to be a burden to other players, but on the other I know I'll get better at certain things if I keep on trying.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

I intend to get it for my birthday, which is a long ways away but I don't have sufficient disposable income to justify its purchase currently.

I will say, re-mapping the controls for each individual hero and micro-adjusting the sensitivity somewhat has exponentially increased my capacity to play everyone at this point with the exception of Junkrat, Widow, and Hanzo.

I kind of hate Junkrat as the lack of reliable damage-dealing with his ricocheting grenades makes him obnoxious to play. I feel more lucky that one hits than any sense that I'm engaging skillfully in the battle. Widow and Hanzo would've required too much time to get to satisfactory settings within this trial weekend, I'd need a day to go over each of them to work over the challenges of sniping with a PS4 control stick. Which is kind of a shame because I find Widow's coolly mocking dialogue quite fun on the training grounds.

The one thing I really want to do once I get the game which has been unfulfilled in my weekend's experience with Overwatch, is have a game with teamwork and voice comms. I don't care if I lose, I wouldn't even mind toxicity, just some sense of a plan and basic coordination going in would do wonders for my enjoyment of the game. Winning without that still feels kind of bad, either someone on my team had more skill or someone on the other team had substantively less, in either case it was the vicissitudes of entry-level quickplay matchmaking deciding everything from the beginning.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2017-05-30 at 12:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #555

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Okay, I've played a little more total mayhem and it's still easily my favorite game mode when matchups are close. I've been thrust into a lot of curb stompings though. I try to wait to see some blue faces before heading back into the fray, but I run into way too many instances of me trying to run from three enemies.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, thanks. It is the jump button which is the issue upon reflection. Pressing/holding it while maneuvering the camera is too much to do physically with my right hand. I've seen Overwatch gameplay before but I assumed there was some kind of auto-lock feature for wallriding where you'd follow walls until they physically ended.

I didn't realize Pharah's flight required such specific button-pushing maintenance either. It's rather unwieldy, even before accounting for the accuracy issue with her rockets.

Other than that, I've been trying heroes out in quickplay and feeling rather bad in the process.

Ana needs a defined front-line to survive or she's almost pointless and really quite brittle -- everyone ran ahead of me out of spawn with super speed and by the time I got in position the fight had already been lost and Sombra + Reaper were there waiting for me.

Torbjorn worked reasonably well at first but the other team actually had two players with some skill on it for a change and that pretty much spelled his doom on Anubis defense.

Got to play Tracer for once on Hanamura, and while we won I kept getting annihilated by a turret that could auto-track me through blinks quite easily. That was until a final inevitable push where someone finally took it down for me.

I think you mentioned that you've started remapping buttons for certain characters (which is a wonderful idea). I suggest doing the same with Mercy so that you have her weapon switch on L2 rather than on the D-pad, which is all kinds of awkward. I'd suggest the same for Torbjorn if he didn't already have something on L2.

Also, Torb's turret has perfect accuracy and insta-locks on targets, so outspeeding it with someone like Tracer is unfortunately not an option. The best way is to either kill it from cover (behind Rein, D.Va, or Orisa's shields) or from beyond its range (Pharah, McCree, snipers).

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    The thing is...you WANT to defend close to the enemy spawn. If you defend back by the objective, then you have a lot further to run to get back into position when you die than the attackers do. Remember, the whole idea is to stop them from getting there....if you let them get there before killing them, you've lost already. They are closer to the first objective then you are, so they have the advantage.

If your going to gripe about defending, then you really should be complaining about the team that runs around outside the zone on KOTH and never seems to try to take it.
    I don't agree with this. On maps where there's a defensible choke point like Eichenwalde, that's a good place to defend. But if you're up right in front of the enemy spawn instead, you're not only giving the attackers an easy place to retreat for instant healing, you're also just begging for a Tracer or Sombra to slip behind your lines, forcing half your team to turn around when someone gets on the point. It only works against teams that really suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Hi all! I'm here to announce that I officially must eat crow. I've sworn over and over again throughout the last two decades that I would never play an fps, a "Shooter" game and actually enjoy it and want to play more, but this past weekend my best friend insisted I download OW and play it with him. I...love this game. It is so much fun, and it's so much NOT your typical fps. I've played with a majority(but not all) the characters thus far, and while I enjoy Mei and Lucio more, Soldier 76 is clearly my best character, I"m consistently earning 1/2 or more of the gold medals almost every game I play with him(to be fair, I've also had a lot of coaching on how to play and what to look out for from said best friend, who is roughly level 150, and has level 500 friends).

I love the diversity of not just the characters and their backstories, but their movesets as well, it's all so very neat and fun. Sadly the free weekend is coming to an end, and I don't have the money to buy it, but hopefully in the near future I will be able to, which is again, words I'd never thought to hear myself utter in regards to an fps game, lol.
    The funny thing is that Soldier 76 is the character most similar to regular FPS games like Call of Duty, so if you're good with him then it suggests you'd be good at those too.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    I don't agree with this. On maps where there's a defensible choke point like Eichenwalde, that's a good place to defend. But if you're up right in front of the enemy spawn instead, you're not only giving the attackers an easy place to retreat for instant healing, you're also just begging for a Tracer or Sombra to slip behind your lines, forcing half your team to turn around when someone gets on the point. It only works against teams that really suck.
    You don't defend *right* in front of the enemy spawn, but you don't defend right at the point either. Say your playing Numbani...you start defending at the bottom of that first hill, or maybe just at the top of it but just around the corner so they can't sit in their spawn area and snipe you from behind the barrier (really...that thing should block shots both ways). Sure, they can run back and heal up...but they are running BACKWARDS, not towards the point. This still slows down their advance, which runs down the clock, in the defenders favor. It can also split up a coordinated attack, if some of their team decide to run back into the spawn, while others run forward, not knowing that their backup has backed up.

What you DON'T do, is have everybody camp the point and let the attackers get all the way there (or even just to that last turn) before trying to stop them....you want to control those alternate routs to the point as long as possible to keep from getting flanked. Once they get the option to take 4 different routes to the point, the defenders will have a harder time keeping them at bay.
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2017-06-01 at 02:29 AM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

18. - Top - End - #558
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

I'd suggest the same for Torbjorn if he didn't already have something on L2.
    I have Torbjorn set up as R2 primary, R1 secondary, L2 weapon switch, L1 turret, armor pack L3, and it works great.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

The funny thing is that Soldier 76 is the character most similar to regular FPS games like Call of Duty, so if you're good with him then it suggests you'd be good at those too.
    Heh, that may actually be true, I've watched friends play these games for hours and hours on end(because that seems to be most of my group of friends go to social game), and oddly enough they often ask me to pay strict attention to them to see where they mess up. But, there's a distinct line between being decent/good at something, and enjoying it :).

The last fps game I actually enjoyed when I played it, was Goldeneye 64 way back in the day, lol. Many nights spent playing that at my buddies house against him and his 2 brothers.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

You don't defend *right* in front of the enemy spawn, but you don't defend right at the point either. Say your playing Numbani...you start defending at the bottom of that first hill, or maybe just at the top of it but just around the corner so they can't sit in their spawn area and snipe you from behind the barrier (really...that thing should block shots both ways). Sure, they can run back and heal up...but they are running BACKWARDS, not towards the point. This still slows down their advance, which runs down the clock, in the defenders favor. It can also split up a coordinated attack, if some of their team decide to run back into the spawn, while others run forward, not knowing that their backup has backed up.

What you DON'T do, is have everybody camp the point and let the attackers get all the way there (or even just to that last turn) before trying to stop them....you want to control those alternate routs to the point as long as possible to keep from getting flanked. Once they get the option to take 4 different routes to the point, the defenders will have a harder time keeping them at bay.
    Numbani doesn't have a choke point as easy to hold as Eichenwalde, King's Row, or... most payload or 2CP maps other than Route 66, really. But still, in my experience defending that far ahead usually leads to the defenders having to turn around when a Sombra or Tracer or someone gets on the point, and 20 seconds later you're all fighting on the point anyway, except now the defenders aren't entrenched. By contrast, when I'm on attack the defenders almost always hole up on the point, with either a Bastion or Torb on the upper level guarding the back routes, a sniper on the upper level harassing anyone who takes the frontal approach, and the other four spread out around the point as needed. I find it much more difficult to take the point when it's defended that way, personally.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

Numbani doesn't have a choke point as easy to hold as Eichenwalde, King's Row, or... most payload or 2CP maps other than Route 66, really. But still, in my experience defending that far ahead usually leads to the defenders having to turn around when a Sombra or Tracer or someone gets on the point, and 20 seconds later you're all fighting on the point anyway, except now the defenders aren't entrenched. By contrast, when I'm on attack the defenders almost always hole up on the point, with either a Bastion or Torb on the upper level guarding the back routes, a sniper on the upper level harassing anyone who takes the frontal approach, and the other four spread out around the point as needed. I find it much more difficult to take the point when it's defended that way, personally.
    Yeah, keeping the high ground is very important for the first point on Numbani. Most competitive matches I've played on Numbani, most people on defense will take the upper right area facing attack spawn, most support characters on the high ground on their left closest to the defense spawn, with the occasional peek at the room right below them or the side path on their right. It's natural cover against any team taking the main road into the point, and the stairway into that high ground is very cramped which doesn't offer a lot of movement to avoid defender's attacks. And even if a Tracer or Sombra slips past and starts taking the point, it's a simple jump down to start contesting.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    Yeah, keeping the high ground is very important for the first point on Numbani. Most competitive matches I've played on Numbani, most people on defense will take the upper right area facing attack spawn, most support characters on the high ground on their left closest to the defense spawn, with the occasional peek at the room right below them or the side path on their right. It's natural cover against any team taking the main road into the point, and the stairway into that high ground is very cramped which doesn't offer a lot of movement to avoid defender's attacks. And even if a Tracer or Sombra slips past and starts taking the point, it's a simple jump down to start contesting.
    Right, which is why I'd set up at least one or two defenders there at the start, and have the rest be prepared to fall back as necessary.

I usually play Symmetra on defense, especially in Numbani, so I normally do go forward and defend far ahead like Mutazoia suggests, but only temporarily. I place my initial set of turrets around the attackers' front door to get some quick ult charge, then just behind the bus and the first turn in the road to slow them down and get some more. Once that location is compromised, or if I have my ultimate, I fall back. Everyone looks for teleporters in the hallways behind the point, so instead I put them down the road back the way defenders come (in the low area down the stairs) so that it's still close enough to make a big difference but not somewhere it's often discovered. Then I set up my turret defenses on or near the point, covering the paths that are least protected by my fellow defenders. It works pretty well most of the time.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

So according to a site the easiest heroes for each role are:
    Soldier 76
    Bastion
    Lucio
    and Reinhardt.

My lack of experience leads me to believe the author. But I start to feel that Reinhardt and Soldier are NOOOOOT the easiest characters around. Soldier has rockets and is entirely dependant on his aim. I played a bit with Sombra and I feel her harassing strategy works better for me, although my inaccuracy was still my group's downfall. In addition to that, Reinhardt is a good tank but his shield is depleted quickly if shot at by 4-5 enemies and him being a melee hero makes advancing into a tight chokepoint (example was at King's Row's payload extraction) is nearly impossible because the big dolt is so easy to hit. Lucio worked like a charm but I also feel the immobile turret style of Bastion gets punished too hard. People are really good at shooting at a stationary object.

My question is: Isn't it better for me to pick my heroes like this in a vacuum?
    Sombra (Stealth and picking off weak heroes? can do!)
    Mei (aiming vaguely in the enemy direction plus walling off chokes? can do!)/Torbjörn (my turret!)
    Lucio (if only healer)/Mercy
    Orisa (her suppressing fire and shield feel much better)/idk...Winston? Zarya?
    Last edited by Spore; 2017-06-05 at 03:57 AM.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Troll in the Playground

In a vacuum, that is in a situation where you don't have to consider the composition of your team or the enemy's team, you should obviously always pick the hero you're best with.

Soldier is considered easy because a) many players will already be familiar with his moveset from other shooters and b) he shoots and does nothing else. You aim, people die. Sure, aiming may not be your strong suit, but compare the other offense heroes, most of them require more careful aiming (McCree, Pharah) or being good with the character's gimmick (Sombra, Genji, Tracer). Soldier 76, with his high rate of fire, relatively high damage, and an ultimate which literally does the aiming for you is pretty easy to be reasonably good at.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

In a vacuum, that is in a situation where you don't have to consider the composition of your team or the enemy's team, you should obviously always pick the hero you're best with.
    You missed the point a bit. I am completely new to the game. I have played for *checking player profile* 5 hours. Any proficiency I may have picked up can be easily trained up. Also I don't know about compositions. I can hardly recognize team comps in Heroes of the Storm, and I am playing that game for 2 years now.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

It's not like I'm a master, but I can recognize several things, like taking 76, Bastion or McCree for example to keep the enemy Pharah in check.

And back to your question, sure, pick the heroes you're good at and feel comfortable playing. Don't think that you HAVE to play a certain hero. However, some heroes obviously and not-so-obviously counter other heroes.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    So according to a site the easiest heroes for each role are:
    Soldier 76
    Bastion
    Lucio
    and Reinhardt.

My lack of experience leads me to believe the author. But I start to feel that Reinhardt and Soldier are NOOOOOT the easiest characters around. Soldier has rockets and is entirely dependant on his aim. I played a bit with Sombra and I feel her harassing strategy works better for me, although my inaccuracy was still my group's downfall. In addition to that, Reinhardt is a good tank but his shield is depleted quickly if shot at by 4-5 enemies and him being a melee hero makes advancing into a tight chokepoint (example was at King's Row's payload extraction) is nearly impossible because the big dolt is so easy to hit. Lucio worked like a charm but I also feel the immobile turret style of Bastion gets punished too hard. People are really good at shooting at a stationary object.

My question is: Isn't it better for me to pick my heroes like this in a vacuum?
    Sombra (Stealth and picking off weak heroes? can do!)
    Mei (aiming vaguely in the enemy direction plus walling off chokes? can do!)/Torbjörn (my turret!)
    Lucio (if only healer)/Mercy
    Orisa (her suppressing fire and shield feel much better)/idk...Winston? Zarya?
    As already said, Soldier 76 is really just a point and click interface, so he's really easy to learn/use, and with his AOE healing, he can self heal and/or heal a few team mates when the dedicated healer is busy/dead. His sprint ability let's him re-engage after death fairly quickly, or sprint around a choke and attack from a flank quickly.

Bastion was nerfed a bit not to long ago. His shot spread at range is a lot worse than it use to be, and he can't self-heal in turret mode any more. That said, all he really does in turret mode is wait for people to run into his line of fire. You can't move in turret mode, so your dependent on your team to cover for you as much as possible, but if you set up at the back some where, most people won't realize you are there until it's too late. Once they DO learn, however....

Lucio has that constant AOE heal going, so he really doesn't have to do much besides zip around. He's the only healer that can DPS and heal at the same time, so even if you forget to try to heal some one, your doing it anyway. His big drawback is that he has to be fairly close to you to heal you, closer than Mercy needs to be. Basically, with him you just run around shooting people and healing by proximity.

Reinheardt isn't as easy as most people make him out to be, as he is totally dependent on backup from his team....a Tracer or a Genji, or even a Reaper can zip around him and DPS him down before he can whack them with his hammer. He also has the big temptation to go charging off ahead of his team and/or healer support (if he has any) and try to DPS with that hammer. If he gets caught alone, his shield fails fairly quickly under concentrated fire, so you really have to have your team around you as much as possible to split that fire up.

Sombra is all about backfield harassment...get behind the enemy lines, hack their available health packs, hack that Bastion out of turret mode, hack Mercy so she can't rez her team, etc. and then zip out again. She can finish off wounded enemies, but with the low ammo for her gun, she has a hard time taking a full health foe single handed if she can't get them by surprise. IMHO she's really more of an offensive character than a defensive one, since the defending team will be the one camped up somewhere, needing harasssment.

Mei is always a good choice. Her primary fire stops enemies in their tracks (a bit OP if you ask me) and sets them up for a Coup de grace with her alt fire, and it's always fun to block off your enemy's line of advance/Alt ability at a moment's notice. She's a solid character on offence or defence.

Torborjn's turrets can be annoying to just about anybody, but especially a flying Phara. They auto-lock , never miss, and fire faster than she does. If he camps next to it, Torborjn can repair the turret under all but a concentrated attack from multiple foes. The trick is finding a place to put the turret where it's not easily spotted, but has a clear field of fire over the largest possible area. It's also very vulnerable in it's first stage, so if you get caught setting up, you might as well not bother.

Orisa....I see her either being played really well, or really horribly. On offence, she really should be trying to fire her shield a bit ahead, and then running up to it...constantly pushing forward, while using her alt-fire gravity bomb to pull the defenders back and/or out of position. Too many times I see camping behind her shield and not pressing forward, even when she has a dedicated Mercy healing/boosting her, and not using the grav-bomb at all. On Defence, she should be partnering up with Bastion/Torborjn to provide cover for the turret mode/turret and using that grav-bomb to pull attackers into Bastion's line of fire. She's a tank, so she's not really supposed to move around that much unless she has to (Tracer/Genji/Reaper) so camping a choke or just inside a doorway (to provide cover from Phara) is a decent strategy for her, but like any other tank, she does need the support of her team to survive if she get's targeted by any high mobility opponent that manages to get around/through her shield. If your team is made of of special snowflakes that run around like they're playing a skirmish and don't coordinate, she can drop just as fast as anybody else.
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2017-06-05 at 06:04 AM.

- L. Long

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

It's really fun to use Orisa on levels with holes on them if you happen to be someone that remembers to use Halt! ability. (well it's also just fun to drag people off their perches or out of buildings with it too).

I've kind of settled on Orisa or D.Va for tanking, the other tanks play in a way that doesn't quite mesh with me, or simply aren't appealing...though I still haven't given Winston a try yet. Maybe I should do that. The more kinds of each type one is comfortable with, the better right?

29. - Top - End - #569

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Mei is always a good choice. Her primary fire stops enemies in their tracks (a bit OP if you ask me) and sets them up for a Coup de grace with her alt fire, and it's always fun to block off your enemy's line of advance/Alt ability at a moment's notice. She's a solid character on offence or defence.
    I've been practicing with Mei to join my small stable of characters that I can play and not embarrass myself. My son wanted to give me pointers so I watched him play her for a while. He shot Pharah out of the sky from full health 5 times in 2 games with her. Sigh, I won't be doing that. I'll be happy to wall off ults and freezing a few people.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    It's really fun to use Orisa on levels with holes on them if you happen to be someone that remembers to use Halt! ability. (well it's also just fun to drag people off their perches or out of buildings with it too).

I've kind of settled on Orisa or D.Va for tanking, the other tanks play in a way that doesn't quite mesh with me, or simply aren't appealing...though I still haven't given Winston a try yet. Maybe I should do that. The more kinds of each type one is comfortable with, the better right?
    I've been playing 6 on 6 random matches almost non-stop for the last few nights(my buddy came up and bought the game for me, said he just wanted to play with me, didn't care about the money), which is a great way to get more familiar with the other characters, though it can also be really frustrating if you land several in a row you're not familiar with/good at, because you just die over and over pretty quickly.

I still have pretty much the same impression of the game, it's great, and for all the same reasons I mentioned before, but I'm starting to prefer other characters now over Soldier 76. Tolbjorn is quite fun, as is junkrat(though I didn't realize until last night that his ultimate can be destroyed so you have you use it sneakily ><), and I'm getting fairly proficient with D.Va :)

Still suck with Reaper and Roadhog though, which is annoying because my luck in 6v6 rando's usually stick me with those two(I had roadhog 3x in a row last night, then Reaper, then Mei, then Roadhog again).