New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: (ECL 20 vs Neutronium Golem) Fight!

It's a defense from a magical source, a magical defense. Divine damage penetrates magical defenses. Wall of Force is something specifically called out as being penetrated, so I don't know why it keeps being brought up. But, yeah, it goes through (penetrates) any magical defense on your person and also goes through any magical defense between you and them not on your person (barriers) and destroys the barriers. The troll would probably be fine due to the engine hood not exactly being a magical defense. I don't actually know if warforged with a bunch of templates count as a magical defense or not.
    "Movement speed is the most important statistic in this game."

"Give them no mercy for they give no mercy to us."

"I see one of those I kill it!"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

We have a valid entry for round 3. Someone should make a new thread with a new victim target.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Aegis View Post
    It's a defense from a magical source, a magical defense. Divine damage penetrates magical defenses. Wall of Force is something specifically called out as being penetrated, so I don't know why it keeps being brought up. But, yeah, it goes through (penetrates) any magical defense on your person and also goes through any magical defense between you and them not on your person (barriers) and destroys the barriers. The troll would probably be fine due to the engine hood not exactly being a magical defense. I don't actually know if warforged with a bunch of templates count as a magical defense or not.
    Wall of Force was a round 1 build.

Based upon the examples of magical defenses it lists, I expect it to penetrate and destroy/suppress things like Blur, Mage Armor, Energy Immunity, or Wall of X (because those are barriers to dealing damage). I don't think temporary hp would count as a magical defense in this context because it not does not prevent the damage, it merely allows the person to take that much damage (in contrast to all the example defenses).

So for Round 3 I am going to allow temporary hp.

Quote Originally Posted by shaikujin View Post
    Ah, sorry I was being lazy. I was halfway into detailing the my old re-usable psionic tattoo circuit of wish, but I found myself getting carried away and was constantly adding stuff. Instead of detailing the use of psionic tattoo circuits, demi-planes of timeless repeating magic, Candle of Invocation/chain gating Solars for free wishes etc, I just used 2 temporary auto-resetting Wish traps.

For the sake of brevity, I have 2 temporary auto-resetting Wish traps that are powering the effects in the preparation section. These will be sold off to reduce WBL once preparations have been made. By then the 2 dragons will have sufficient power to cast the spells themselves.

These temporary items will be paid for via Dark Craft gold and XP by using the sacrifice rules in BOVD. (I think in my last build stub, I left out the part about Machoism allowing a boosted skill check that will give several billion Dark Craft Gold and GP)

Final WBL 353,645 gp from the following:
    Sounds good. That is a round 3 victory.

High Initative, Movement, Temp Hp, Saves, Attack, Damage, Con, with the ability to heal the Con damage
    Chance of failure: 1141/8000 (chance of not making the 3 saves)
    Distance to ground zero: Within 20ft(closest)
    Golf Score: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Btw, my six walls can use contingent contingent time stop to go off without a hitch. I do not think you take the golem's damage in time stop, so "timestop as soon as I become aware of a threat directed at me" would allow me to teleport to the golem, trap it with wall of force + quickened wall of force in 3 rounds.
    I realize I never said how my walls got off.

Another way of beating it is to BECOME it. 2 contingencies on each of 1000 copies of yourself using abilities to bypass its immunity to mind affecting and magic then hit it with 1000 scryes and 1000 true mind switches.
    Time Stop does not prevent aura effects. You might even suffer the aura effects per effective round depending on your DM.

Also since round 2 (round 3 now) Wall of Force is broken by the Heat Aura.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2017-03-12 at 10:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    We have a valid entry for round 3. Someone should make a new thread with a new victim target.

Wall of Force was a round 1 build.

Based upon the examples of magical defenses it lists, I expect it to penetrate and destroy/suppress things like Blur, Mage Armor, Energy Immunity, or Wall of X (because those are barriers to dealing damage). I don't think temporary hp would count as a magical defense in this context because it not does not prevent the damage, it merely allows the person to take that much damage (in contrast to all the example defenses).

So for Round 3 I am going to allow temporary hp.

High Initative, Movement, Temp Hp, Saves, Attack, Damage, Con, with the ability to heal the Con damage

Time Stop does not prevent aura effects. You might even suffer the aura effects per effective round depending on your DM.

Also since round 2 (round 3 now) Wall of Force is broken by the Heat Aura.
    hmmm, well if we are simply trying to beat it numbers wise, the only option is infinite cheese. Still, having 1k simulacrums bypass its magic and mind affecting immunities in order to switch minds with it should be valid. It has to roll a nat 1 eventually.

But lets go by the numbers.

Double contingency, one crafted. First activate wall of force blocking line of effect, next activate planeshift to a realm where time is not a factor. Begin cranking out simulacrums of yourself. The goal here is 200 million simulacrums. Craft a portal for each one going to the location of the golem.

Each of your simulacrums stand by their portal and casts summon monster 5 getting multiple lantern archons which fire through the one way portals, bypassing the golems dr, hitting on 20s. 200 million x 1d3 = 400 million lantern archons firing through the portals which should equate to 40 million d6 damage.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Woot!! *Happy dance*

For reference purposes, my first thought was a level 1 DWK Kobold with Epic distance shot using Blood in the Water. Before I posted, you mentioned wanting to avoid the DWK argument :p

The V12 engine thingy came about coz I was recently looking at Gnome contraptions in Races of Ansalon (that's why I asked about that book). Was working on a couple of clockwork steampunk gadgets that have a crit range of 17-20, and also steampunk vehicles that can travel at the speed of light or faster.

Unfortunately, the craft check was the speed of light, so that drove me to look at obscene ways of boosting skill checks (such as the Omnificer). I was trying very hard to stay away from the established TO tricks, but it's so hard to look for another more convoluted method when you already know there's an existing TO method that would do exactly what I want...so most of the tricks I used are elements from TO builds others have posted before (including a couple from my older builds).

Saw this challenge and thought it would be cool to have an unstoppable steampunk'ish automaton with a magical V8 or V12 engine that's powered by a hamster!

Glad I could get it to work, and thanks for posting this challenge :D

Also, if temp HP didn't work, my plan for the next upgrade would be to cop-out and simply have a few thousand construct-turned-dragon minions cast Wish-Awaken (to bring casting time down to 1) every round on 1 dragon. After a million years in a fast time plane, its ability scores will be in the trillions. Then apply Petitioner template and Fusion -> Astral Seed. It's way more efficient than extract gift.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

hmmm, well if we are simply trying to beat it numbers wise, the only option is infinite cheese. Still, having 1k simulacrums bypass its magic and mind affecting immunities in order to switch minds with it should be valid. It has to roll a nat 1 eventually.

But lets go by the numbers.

Double contingency, one crafted. First activate wall of force blocking line of effect, next activate planeshift to a realm where time is not a factor. Begin cranking out simulacrums of yourself. The goal here is 200 million simulacrums. Craft a portal for each one going to the location of the golem.

Each of your simulacrums stand by their portal and casts summon monster 5 getting multiple lantern archons which fire through the one way portals, bypassing the golems dr, hitting on 20s. 200 million x 1d3 = 400 million lantern archons firing through the portals which should equate to 40 million d6 damage.
    1)No mention about initiative? Bypassing initative(say with celerity or contingency) would increase golf score by 1.
    2)Bypassing Heat Aura, Gravitic Aura, and Death Throes results in a minimum golf score of 2.
    3)You would need to expand on the one-way portals. Those cannot be merely handwaved.
    4)Do those castings of simulacrum exceed the 20th level WBL rule? Likewise do you have enough xp to pay all those xp costs? (Remember you must show your work if you use thought bottles).
    5)Bypassing rather than overflowing DR would increase your golf score further.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

1)No mention about initiative? Bypassing initative(say with celerity or contingency) would increase golf score by 1.
    2)Bypassing Heat Aura, Gravitic Aura, and Death Throes results in a minimum golf score of 2.
    3)You would need to expand on the one-way portals. Those cannot be merely handwaved.
    4)Do those castings of simulacrum exceed the 20th level WBL rule? Likewise do you have enough xp to pay all those xp costs? (Remember you must show your work if you use thought bottles).
    5)Bypassing rather than overflowing DR would increase your golf score further.
    Yes, using thought bottles and infinite money engines.

As for the one way portals, I am using the crafting of one way portals described in forgotten realms. The crafting costs a whopping 50k gold, requiring numerous castings of true creation to completely obliterate wbl, although it could be argued that you no longer own the simulacrum or portal once crafted... it becomes stationary. As such, it would be you reacquiring wbl. It would be similar to a mage using true creation to build bridges all over the world and charging for it.

I am well aware my golf score will be the pits, but damnit I just want to kill it reliably.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2017-03-12 at 01:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Yes, using thought bottles and infinite money engines.

As for the one way portals, I am using the crafting of one way portals described in forgotten realms. The crafting costs a whopping 50k gold, requiring numerous castings of true creation to completely obliterate wbl, although it could be argued that you no longer own the simulacrum or portal once crafted... it becomes stationary. As such, it would be you reacquiring wbl. It would be similar to a mage using true creation to build bridges all over the world and charging for it.

I am well aware my golf score will be the pits, but damnit I just want to kill it reliably.
    Rule 2 is still in effect. The Material Components used in simulacrum and the value of the portals are not exempt.

Also if you are using thought bottles, Rule 1 requires you to show your work.

If you don't care about the golf score, you could just tag it as a round 2 build.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Ok, fair enough. I'll chalk that as r2 and figure something else for r3.