New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dragonmarks Elite: Golden Stream of Silver (IC)

"Aww" comments Jack, a bit crestfallen at hearing the answer of the warforged "Changing forms is actually one of my speciaties. Too bad it would be quite hard to improve on what you already have.

Still, I hear you and I think I will be able to help in that regard, though it is far from a complete immunity. As for fire and acid, I could do something for that as well, though today it would be just one or the other. Perhaps we can come up with better ideas in the days to come.
    ". 'Provided I survive the mission' he adds in his head: he has no illusions on who has the best chances of survival in the group.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    I think that these interactions we are a great start, but we should not 'delay' the core of the story. We can keep talking as we do stuff, like in real life.
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

As you move to the fortress, you see the two guards at the gate looking at you: both seem war veterans, bracing their glaives with experience and wearing well crafted and polished armors. One of them, clearly older, bears on his face the scars of numerous fights, while the other have a look on his eyes that tells tales of many battlefields.
    As you come, the older one greets you glancing at Blue with wonder: “Hey, at first I thought people on Argonth were throwing somethin’ away. You must be the craziest warforged I’ve ever met!”
    The other one, younger but more professionally suited, speaks with you in a more serious tone.
    “We were waiting for you, the expedition is working out the details in the central room of the keep.”
    as he speaks, a door in the gate opens, with a third guard letting you enter.

Passing through the courtyard, you see a dwarven sergeant drilling a group of soldiers, ten humans and two shifters; on your left there’s a stable from where you hear the neigh of horses.
    All the structure is practically built, and is perfectly fitted into the mountains delimiting Marguul’s pass.

Entering the keep, you are conducted into a large, austere room. You can see a wooden table with a map stretched on it, at the two sides, an armored man bearing the Blademarks badge is arguing with a female hobgoblin about something like ‘territorial hierarchies’; while the two are hotly debating (and the most feral one happens to be the human!) you can notice other people in the room: three humans wearing leather armors and a black cowl, a man wearing a mail armor over white-blue garments and a mantle spotting the Brelish coat of arms; he’s walking in circles behind the table, waiting for the argument to end.

Alone on the other side of the room, a hobgoblin warrior, wearing a breastplate, with a chain wrapped around his waist and a sword hanging on his back, looks at the scene with embarrassment, and turns to you with the hope that the entrance of newcomers can put an end to what is happening.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Ok, decided to go on with the scene, so you have more interactions if needed.

iTookUrNick: Jack can recognize a quite powerful magical aura coming from the hobgoblin warrior's sword and some minor auras from the hobgoblin woman and the other man discussing with her. All of them are of arcane origin.
    Does this poster have a sign?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

The last thing Sidara had expected to find at the heart of Sterngate's keep was a pair of the same Darguuni hobgoblins whose warbands the fortress had been built to repel. You've got to be kidding me, she thinks to herself as she glances around the room. This day keeps getting better and better...

After noting the presence of the leather-clad soldiers and the man she presumes to be their commander, Sidara approaches the lone goblinoid at the far end of the room. He seems to hold some authority here, whatever sense that makes. The hope in his eyes is met with loathing in hers, a withering glare that perhaps he had not expected. To a Cyran, however, the treachery of his kin is not easily forgotten nor forgiven.

"Eera ir'Jalon sent us," she says shortly. "We're here to meet with lieutenant Harod." She gestures toward the armored man with the Blademarks badge. "That him?"

Assuming the hobgoblin answers affirmatively, and regardless of whatever​ else he might have to say afterwards, Sidara steps away to join the Deneith heir and the female Darguuni with whom he's fervently engaged.

"Hey, you two mind finishing this up another time? We need to speak with the lieutenant." If both are too consumed by their bickering to respond, she slams an open hand on the top of the table and repeats, in a far more forceful tone than before, "Hey!"

Show
    Intimidate check, if needed, for Sidara's more forceful interruption: [roll]d20+18[roll] [25]
    Last edited by rypt; 2017-04-06 at 12:54 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

I hope he survives the mission, thinks Blue in Jack's direction as they take the final steps towards Sterngate's front door. The man doesn't seem all that suited to front-line combat. Then again, he could easily surprise him. Casters, more often than not, tended to change the whole parameter of a battlefield. Either way, the warforged is quiet for the rest of their journey, nodding only at the young man who ushers them into the fortress. As they move through the courtyard, Blue takes the time to survey the state of the yard, the cadets, and the equipment therein. He notes the presence of the shifters with silent approval. It's good to see that some people see merit in all of Khorvaire's races.

Once inside the keep, Blue follows Sidara's lead. Even though he has the most experience with the Elite, she seems intent on being the one to handle the negotiation and speaking. That suits him just fine. Those in the room would see Blue silently looming behind Sidara, his adamantine frame sounding just like a suit of heavy armour. The blue lines of soul energy glow all the brighter for the relative lack of light in the room.

When the man and hobgoblin caught in an argument don't stop immediately, Blue steps forward. It's not a threat, simply a way to acknowledge that there are other people in the room and that the time for quarrels has passed.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Inu follow the group though the fortress, staying ever mindful of her surroundings. She wonders how many were stationed here during the war and what became of them. Upon entering the room, she moves off to her left and simply observes. Sidara seemed impatient and her directness made Inu slightly uncomfortable. She'd been raised to carry herself with a certain discretion, and her duties to the flame had only reinforced that.

As Sidara moves to the table to engage she engages the hobgoblin warrior and in a soft tone. My name is Inuurasha, what is yours? There seems to be some kind of dispute here, what seems to be the problem?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack follows the others through the keep. He holds no particolar feeling towards cyrean troops or for shifters; the time of the crusade is long past in his mind.
    Hobgoblins are a different thing, though. He spent long years in the slave pits in Darguun, fighting for the amusement of an Hobgoblin overlord and his vassals. The experience has left him a bit bitter towards the entire race, despite the Flame's teachings of fairness and equality among all people. The best he can do for himself is keep his composure, letting others take the lead on this. He takes the opportunity to take a look at the map currently on the table. He also manages to take a better look at the hobgoblins 's strongly magical sword without actually staring: he makes it a habit to check most items of significance whenever he can.
    Patiently, he waits to see what the intervention of the two women of the group will bring.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

The Hobgoblin warrior has barely the time to answer "Yes, he and..."; Sidara doesn't wait for his answer and points directly at the war table.
    As she slams her hand on the table, he widens his eyes, looking at her with a mixture of respect and awe.
    He turns to Inu, who seems to be the most amicable of the group.
    "Ah, and to think that some people consider goblinoids as feral! Look at her!" He exclaims, speaking in an accentless common
    "But I forgot my manners! My name is Mahr'k Ghaalrash, Lord-General of Lhesh Haruuc" He says, extending his open hand to the Kalashtar woman.
    "I'm here to protect our... ambassador for the mission, Gheelra Brightcry." as he says the name, he points with his head toward the woman hobgoblin. "I suppose you are the expeditionary force we were expecting?"

At the same time, Sidara's show of alternative diplomatic efforts seems to have had the intended effect, since both the hobgoblin and man arguing with each other stop to look at the yellow-eyed woman, while one of the cowled figures jumps at the thump.

"I am Liutenant Harod d'Deneith of the Blademarks. And you must be Sidara Kell. Finally you are here. We were discussing with our... host, the best course of action for the mission, and how external relations are to be handled."

"You can safely say that you are trying to force us into ignoring every goblinoid we meet!" Answers the goblinoid woman, who speaks with a good common, but with a heavily guttural accent.

"Now, stop it, Gheelra, we have enough things to think about!" Harod gestures the map, showing at Sidara and the others the place. You can see that the map describes Marguul pass in the Darguun side, and you can spot two different mountain ways, which seem to be nothing more than little roads carved into the rocks, leading to east; the northern road is crooked and longer, and approaches the cave you have to reach from the eastern side, after a 180° turn on the road; the southern way departs from Maargul pass and reaches the cave almost directly, but it lies far into a part of the map dotted with question marks.
    The cave where you are directed is marked with a red circle, and lies in a mountain side, not distant from the southern road.

"So, as you can see, here's the place you will have to reach. The southern way passes into an untamed territory, where many sighting of goblinoid bands were reported. The northern road is safer, but it will take you at least a day longer to reach the cave, and approaching it from low, it will be easier to be spotted, if those terrorists are guarding the place. Now, Gheelra here, insists on taking the southern side because she wants to kill some goblin, while I think that our safest bet is to pass from north, possibly using some illusion to cover your passage."

Gheerla interrupts Harod and points at the southern pass, slamming her finger on the map.

"I don't want to *kill* goblins! I'm saying that if we want to move quickly, the southern way si much better! If those Emerald you speak about are as dangerous as you say, the faster we kill them, the better! Besides, the vessel of Lhesh Haruuc protects us, and no independent warband or tribe will have the gut to attack us, unless they desire to taste the fury of the duur'kala!"

Harod sighs and looks at the four of you, waiting for your opinion on the matter.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Blue absorbs all of the information over the course of a few moments. His blue eyes flicker from the Deneith soldier to the goblinoid by the name of Gheelra and back again, and for a moment, they seem to narrow in something akin to concentration as the warforged weighs the various risks of each approach.

"The path to the south will be less dangerous to us. My armor configuration is not suited for stealth. I can move out ahead to trigger any traps and draw out our enemies." Blue then nods at Sidara and Inuurasha. "I will be the anvil, you the hammer. This strategy minimizes casualties. I am not a citizen of any of Khorvaire's nations. By simply walking the path, I am breaking no law. Should I be engaged, you can say you were defending a traveling companion. Anyone who tries to harm us will die. Beyond that, it will not hurt the local goblins."

Distinctly aware that he has spoken more now than since he's met his new team, the warforged falls silent. A soldier such as him does not give commands, only offer suggestions. Whether they accept his strategy or choose a different path is entirely up to them.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2018-03-13 at 11:49 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack, who has remain silent so far, nods at the Warforged comment and answers the implicit question of the Liutenant. "If we decide take the northern road, I can cover our final approach with invisibility spells without too much trouble, though they are only good for a few minutes at a time: it might or might not be enough. I could also use a figment and veil ourselves as a pack of wild animals or something, though I do not know of any beast that would not arise suspicion when used in such fashion.

It might just be worth getting there through the fastest path, even if we risk getting tanged in an engagement with a goblin war band. If the ambassador here thinks her lord's banner can keep away all but the boldest of them, we should make use of it. And if someone does attack us, we'll take the opportunity to rid the region of a threat, however minor. I expect our forces to be more than a match for such an engagement.

Incidentally, I'm not entirely clear on the scale of the map to make an accurate projection of our needs. How long is the trip supposed to take, one way or the other?
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2017-04-08 at 03:43 PM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

"Considering that you have to travel through mountain passes, if you take the short road it will take you one day and a half, give or take. The longest one is going to be three days. I don't think that using horses would be that much useful, considering the terrain. The group will consist of the four of you, our 'notable' ambassador and her bodyguard, and three agents from Breland."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

"So it takes twice as long if we go the long way, right? That's way too much to even consider. We should get on our way as soon as we are ready. comments Jack, becoming even more resolute in his evaluation. He counts the people assigned to the expedition: there might be one too many if he gets the help he is about to ask. If not, they'll manage with what they have.

Speaking of getting ready, do you happen to have a space suitable for summoning? After that, whatever the results, I will need a few more minutes with all of you to set up things for my peculiar way of doing magic to work."
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2017-04-09 at 09:13 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

The captain of the keep, who stayed silent since you entered the room, answers to the question: "We have no arrangement like this at the keep, but there is a Ghallanda safe house in the western side of the walls; I think they should be able to arrange for extra-planar space. But... for what do you need it, if I may ask? Summoning often means trouble, and I don't want even more trouble in my keep!"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

"There will be no trouble." says Jack assuredly, trying to assuage the captain's fears.
    "I will ask the Flame to provide us with a willing helper of pure intentions. We might or might not receive, but either way it will not be disruptive in any way."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

"Three days?" Sidara scoffs. "Yeah, sorry. I don't think that's going to work. We'll take the short road. Traveled long enough and slowly enough as it is." At least there seemed to some consensus on this one. Not that it would change her mind if there wasn't. Having spent nearly a week aboard Argonth, Sidara isn't sure she can stomach another three days on the road with two devotees of the Church and a pair of hobgoblins to boot.

Glancing to the three hooded figures whom she presumes to be the aforementioned Brelish agents, Sidara's eyes linger for a moment on the one who had jumped at the sound of her hand. "You sure these guys are necessary?" she asks, looking back at the lieutenant. "How many claws are we expecting here?"
    Last edited by rypt; 2017-04-11 at 03:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

BarbarianGuy

"A pleasure to meet you Lord-General." Inu replies nodding to the warrior. "We're all eager to achieve swift resolution to this issue." she continues, deflecting from his comment about Sidara.

She listens to Harod lay out the routes and options and to Blue and Jack's comments. "You make excellent points Lieutenant," she begins smiling "I'd wager the northern pass would be the correct call in most situations with most teams. I certainly would like to avoid extraneous conflict if at all possible." She could feel the tide in the room seeming to turn toward supporting Gheelra's idea, and her natural instinct was to make sure the Deneith didn't feel ignored.

"That being said, with this team's particular strengths perhaps the southern route may be better suited to us. Depending on the resistance encountered, it's not inconceivable that we could be in and out and back in the time it would take us to arrive via the longer route."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack appreciates the effort at moderation and civility that Inu is making, though he can't get himself to do the same.
    "Indeed" he says, stressing her latest point "you have to plan according to a team's strengths. And Strength is this team's actual strength, to be sure. Myself not included, obviously, but then I tend not to get too involved with the actual fighting."

"The Ghallanda safe house will do nicely. I'm a quick hand with diagrams, we should be all done and ready to leave within the hour."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

The Blademarks liutenant open his arms and let them fall on his waist, as if resigned to your group's choice "it's decided then, short road it is... Since you are all fresh and ready, departure will be two hours from now, before darkness starts to fall, I'm sure our guides will be able to help you sort the road during the a night march. The first part of the road is the most secure, and it is better if you approach the dangerous mountain pass during day... You can go now."

After your choice, Gheerla smirks and direct herself to the exit. "It is fine, at least this group shows more wisdom that their supposed commander; now, if you'll excuse me, I have preparations to do."
    As she leave the room, the hobgoblin warrior follows behind, and stops a moment to salute the two officiers, then he bows to Inuurasha; "Ma'am" address her respectfully, and leaves.

While the three cowled men enter another room on the left side, Harod answers to Sidara consideration. "They are agents of the crown, and I can assure you that their abilities will come useful in hazardous environments. As for the expected enemy forces, I fear I cannot be very precise: what we know for sure is that the Emerald Claw was setting up a secret base in that little cave since a long time; to pass completely unnoticed, they must be few in numbers, or aided by really powerful magic, but I suspect the former is way more probable then the latter. The problem is that we don't know if they have been able to ally themselves with some of the goblinoid splinter groups residing in the mountains. That's one of the reasons we accepted Darguun offer to send reinforcements."

At the same time, the Captain of the Keep signals Jack, and whoever wants to drink or relax, to follow him outside to the Ghallanda safe house. As you pass again through the courtyard you see that the soldiers are still training and notice Mahr'k Ghaalrash that is concentrated in meditation. Sitting with folded legs and his eyes closed, while his blade is planted on the soil in front of him, with the chain you noticed before now wrapped around the blade, and on the floor another weapon, that Jack immediately can recognize being a Xen'drik boomerang, like those used by the Drow tribes.

You pass through a wooden door in the stone, and find yourself in a comfortable environment, that looks larger and more illuminated than what you expect from the outside. There are three tables for people to sit drinking and at least five rooms for hosts. As you enter, you are greeted by an Halfling that offers you beverages, while another one, at the Captain suggestion, brings Jack into one of the rooms, leaving him enough space to perform his incantations.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack excuses himself from the rest of the group with a bow "I'll be back in a few minutes. And if you hear screaming, do come and see what the fuss is all about" he says half jokingly at the Captain's expenses.
    Once in the room Jack makes sure that nothing shall disturb his preparations and casting, then starts inscribing runes on the floor with a dagger and sprinkle them with silver powder. He figures he'll mend them afterwards, or just put back the rug over them. Finally, he starts the actual casting, awaiting with trepidation for any kind of response from his deity's servants.

Show
    Let's see if I get all the pieces correctly. It's a take 10 Spellcraft check to draw the diagram in 10 minutes (final result 36). At a certain point he stops and casts an Eagle's splendour spell to make himself more presentable. Said diagram is then strengthened with a magic circle vs good spell and a dimensional anchor spell just before the binding. Finally, the actual calling spell takes place.

The Will DC to have someone actually show up when called is 24 (10 + 5 [spell level] + 9 [Int bonus]) and the Charisma check to agree to aid is Cha - (1d20+7)[13] + any circumstance bonus for offering to do good (from +0 to +6).

There. Let's see what we come up with. I'm looking for a Movanic Deva but any good-aligned outsider will do

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #49

BarbarianGuy

Inu listens quietly as the group hashes out the details of their departure. The kind smile remains on her face as she looks from person to person, but her eyes seem expressionless, almost glassy, as if she is lost in thought. She studies the three cowled men for a moment before remarking “Greetings friends, you must be our Brelish support. An honor to make your acquaintance.”

Spoiler: For CozJa
    Show

Using Inu’s at will Detect Evil ability on the people in the room.

After a moment, she turns to Harod, nodding her head. “We will see this done quickly Lieutenant.” Then follows the captain out of the room. As they make their way across the courtyard, she sees the hobgoblin warrior in meditation and smiles to herself, having had the same idea. She calls to her companions “I’ll be here in the courtyard, meditating and making ready for our journey if I’m needed for anything.”

She peels of to the left, finding an unoccupied area for which to prepare. She sets about her routine of meditation, blocking out the sounds of the training soldiers. She whispers a prayer to the Silver Flame, asking for strength and wisdom in the coming days as she is stretching and contorting her body is slow measured movements. When she feels loose, she begins her meditations. She’d been a shadow walker for more than a hundred years, but somehow every time she meditated the dance of shadows she felt as if a young girl dancing for the first time.

She dances now, whirling and looping as she skips along the ground, feet barely making contact with earth before springing again. As she moves, her eyes close, and her mind drifts. She replays the day, taking in everything told to her by Eluvan, Eera, and Harod about their mission. She visualizes each step in the journey and prays they will be able to achieve their goals with a minimum loss of life. She was loath to take a humanoid life, even though she knew it was necessary at time and the will of the Flame.

As she continued whirling, literal shadows seem to bleed from her skin and surround her. She lept and spun in the air, falling into an almost trance-like state. Her mind fell further into meditation and the thoughts of the day and current mission are replaced by the image of her daughter. The face floating before her mind’s eye was still a girl, no more than five, the age she’d been when Inu had left her with her grandmother in Adar and had returned to Khorvaire to answer the Flame’s call. That had been almost seventeen years ago and she wondered what her daughter looked like now. She missed the girl dearly and sadness crept into her heart as it often did when thinking of Inara, she walked with it for awhile, unafraid of the feeling, then turned her heart toward the light of the Silver Flame and felt her spirt lift.

She was sweating when she finally came to a stop, and fell to her knees slowly to complete her post meditation devotions. A contented smile crossed her face and she felt a quiet confidence in her spirit. She was sure the mission would be a success.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

While Inu dances and Jack entreats celestial aid, Sidara tends to her sword. Taking a bucket of water in one hand and her longsword in the other, she sits down on a step along the edge of the courtyard. She rests the flat of her blade against her knee and dips a small gray stone into the bucket. As she runs the stone smoothly and repeatedly from the heel of the blade to the tip, she watches the Brelish soldiers sparring across the way.

Nearest her, an unseasoned half-elf struggles against a much stronger and much more experienced opponent. It is obvious that the young khorovar is aware of his shortcomings, for each contest lasts only as long as his meager defense can hold. Never once does he attempt to strike his attacker, not even when the larger man's powerful but ponderous blows give him an obvious opening to do so.

Sidara tries to focus her attention elsewhere, but the longer the mismatched encounter continues, the more frustrated she becomes. The first time the half-elf's retreat leads him to trip over his own feet, Sidara rolls her eyes. The second time, she grits her teeth. The third time, she nearly crushes the whetstone in her fist, standing so abruptly that her sword clatters to the ground.

"You there, boy!" she calls out to the half-elf, waving him over. "Yes, you! Get over here!"

She paces in place while she waits for the young soldier to approach.

"I don't know if you're tired of making a fool of yourself out there but I'm tired of watching it. You keep tripping over own feet because they're too damn close together." She bends over, grabs his legs, and forcibly positions them into a suitable fighting stance -- left foot forward, right foot back, with enough space between them to pass the hilt of his sword. "Now bend your knees. There. That's better. When you move backwards, you lead with your back foot. When you move forward, you lead with the front." She pulls him towards her then pushes him away to make him practice.

"Now your friend over there, he's got at least 60 pounds on you, but he's slow. He favors cross-cuts from his right side, so keep your guard here." She pulls his hands low and tilts his grip so his sword angles up and to his left. "Keep an eye on his elbow," she adds, speaking more quietly now than she had before. "He kicks it out to the side before he strikes."

Taking a step back, she looks him up and down and sighs. "Well? What are you doing still standing here? Get your ass back out there."
    Last edited by rypt; 2017-04-18 at 01:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack

As the half-giant completes his spells, a figure starts forming into the circle, at first, it is an indistinguishable flickering whit fog that looks like is going to be blown away, then the figure becomes clearer, and the searched creature shows up: a beautiful and bright Deva, with a flaming sword in his hand, appears before Jack. Enraged by that unexpected calling, the creature tries to strike his caller, but discover its inability to do it. Then, he looks at Jack with his burning eyes:
    “What do you want from me, pitiful mortal? Why are you unsettling Shavarath delicate balance of power for your unworthy squabbles?”

Inu

As the cowled men return Inu greetings, she can perceive a faint evil aura around two of them, and a moderate one surrounding the hobgoblin bard. She notices an evil aura even when looking at the hobgoblin warrior, but with more attention it can be ascertained that it emanates from the sword, not the creature.

As she walks outside and starts dancing, her actions don’t go unnoticed, and some of the training troops glance at her movements with interest, even if all of them are too worried by their instructor to pay enough attention to the elegant Kalashtar.

Sidara

As you speak with the perplexed half-elf, the instructor and the other soldiers look at you and him with a mixture of curiosity and ill-conceived arrogance. As the young warrior tries again to fight his comrade. This time, he still struggles, but seem to have caught Sidara’s suggestions: he is able to dodge a couple of blows and, when the bulkier and slower opponent moves exactly as Sidara said, he is able to strike at the elbow, disarming him, while all of the troops cheer for his success. The Khoravar turns to Sidara with a satisfied expression, before the dwarven drillmaster shouts at the two contenders to go back in line, and they swiftly comply at the order.

The captain, who left the safehouse after Jack entered the room, approaches Sidara with a satisfied smile:
    “I never thought I’d seen that recruit doing something different than falling. You must have military training, and a good one too! Care to teach the troops some tricks while you’re waiting, or when you’ll be back from the mission?”

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack

'If patience is a virtue, how comes Celestials are always so wrathful when they appear?' thinks Jack, biting back a stiff retort retort. Instead he bows to the creature and speaks in a calm voice:
    "Apologies for the inconvenience. I do not doubt that the struggle I pulled you from is most important, and I do not ask you to linger one moment more than strictly necessary before returning to join the fight.

However, I want you to remember that the war has many fronts, and sometimes resources have to be made available to prevent further complications down the line. This is such an instance. There are forces at work here on the material plane that wish to plug the world back into the chaos and suffering of war. Forces that include, but are likely not limited to, the Cult of the Emerald Claw. My team and I are trying to oppose said forces, unmaking their members and eradicating them from this world and generally keeping the peace. Specifically, we have located a secret base of operation that might be involved in a series of terrorist attacks, and we are about to raid it. We would welcome your assistance in this matter.

The spell I used to bring you here requires me to specify a contract for your release. I do not mean to keep you here against your will. Thus, I state the following as my offer: that you help us of your own free will for as much time as you deem appropriate in our struggle against the Emerald Claw and whoever else is plotting to bring the nation of Khorvaire back to war. I trust that you appreciate our need and the importance of the mission at hand, and that you will exercise your best judgment on the matter."

Having stated his terms, Jack cannot help but add a side comment "I guess next time I will go ahead and bind a fiend instead. I was cautioned against it by multiple sources, but who am I to argue against the words of a Deva? Not only I will get the help I need, but I will also aid the side of the Light in winning the Battleground."

Show
    Btw, how will we handle the retiring of 3SecondCultist?

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

The flaming sword of the Deva burns with rekindled brightness when Jack speaks of his plans "Destroying those vile mockeries of justice will be a good deed. I will follow you, for now, but do not try to trick me into serving more than is needed. You called me to help in destroying the forces of evil, and I will do it. But I have no interest in the destiny of this plane, or in stopping wars, as you said. The real War rage harder in my home, and not even all the forces of your world combined would be able to be more than a whispering wind, in front of the eternal bladestorms of Shavarath."

As Jack adds his comment, the Deva looks at him with concerned, fiery, eyes.
    "Do not play with demons, and do not act as you know how the planes work. Indeed, you may help us in battle by calling away one of the fiendish denizens, but what if you where to call a demon who is fighting against devils, therefore giving them an advantage in another front against the forces of light? As I told you, the delicate balance of Shavarath should not be undervalued."

Show

Sorry, couldn't help trolling Jack a bit
    Anyway, Jack won by far the Charisma contest and, no matter what he says, the Deva will follow him around to the very end of his mission, considering him his leader. That said, he may not have a very high opinion of Jack as a person, but I'm sure that can change along the way.

As for 3Sec, I'll just have Blue leave for an emergency while you were preparing.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

"I shall keep all that in mind for future reference." answers Jack with a bow, determined to keep the conversation civil despite the disdain of the celestial. "We should get downstairs and gather our party right away. They should be ready by now, and we should not waste even a moment of your valuable time by dilly-dallying."

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking towards the half-elf, Sidara nods her approval of the young warrior's performance. "I'd keep an eye on that one if I were you," she says to the approaching captain. "There's promise there." While she listens to the captain's request, she bends down to pick up her sword, plucking her thumb across its edge. Deeming it suitably sharp, she returns the blade to the sheath on her hip and shrugs. "I suppose I've got some time to kill." She gestures towards the boisterous drillmaster and chuckles. "You sure he won't mind?"

As the soldiers fall in line, Sidara draws a wooden practice sword from a rack at the edge of the training field. Stepping closer to the troops, she studies their ranks, and after a moment's consideration, points first to a broad-shouldered human, then to the smaller of the two shifters, and finally to the open space in front of her. "You and you, here and here."

For the next hour, she provides instruction on a variety of combat techniques, from ways to leverage a blade for throws and disarms, to half-swording, and other less-than-conventional uses of a free off-hand. Few of these techniques could be found in a book in the library of Rekkenmark; most are of Sidara's own formulation, implemented and refined over the course of nearly 20 years of war.

With two of the more experienced soldiers executing maneuvers which she first demonstrates on her own, Sidara makes frequent use of her wooden sword to poke and pull, correcting flaws of form and posture. Though there is no mistaking her ornery disposition, she offers praise and criticism in equal measure, seeming more animated and engaged than she has at any point since boarding Argonth. This outpost's environment is both familiar and comfortable to her, and one she has not often experienced since Cyre's own military force was obliterated by the Mourning.
    Last edited by rypt; 2017-04-26 at 11:38 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Many of the soldiers on the walls are distracted by the newcomers: Innurasha elegant dance seems to have had a relaxing effect not only on her, but even on those who seen her perform: a supernatural calm found its place in the heart of many grizzled veterans.
    In another place, a group of recruits is, instead, feeling a powerful drive to perfect their abilities, and many of them, even their drillmaster, will have a lot to think about during the night, regarding what they have learnt. Looking like a lonely woman, Sidara knows a lot about teamwork, and she has been able to teach a good part of it.

For his part, Jack comes up with a new ‘friend’, ready to help the group in their fight against the Emerald Claw.

As each of you assemble in front of the gate to the Darguun controled side of Marguul pass, the two hobgoblins are already there waiting, the Lord-General, wearing a metalline black plate and mounting a banner over his shoulders, looks like a goblinoid hero of old, or an impersonator who lost a passage for the Carnival of Shadows. The Duur’kala, called seem more relaxed now, and offers a dry but educated smile to each of you, not reacting to the deva presence; as for the three cowled men, each of them has a backpack probably full with their ‘tools of the trade’, some wands, rations, and other instruments. The older one is surely an arcanist, because he brings with him a component pouch, and looks with fascination at the extraplanar creature.
    Sadly, Harod d’Deneith has an unexpected news for the group:
    “We had to relocate Blue, there was an immediate emergency and he had to depart for another destination. I would have preferred for you to have an experienced agent in the mission, but after what I have seen you do here in only an hour, I’m sure you will be succesful.”

Gheerla cannot the resist the opportunity to remark the situation: “So, we still have to start, and we are already down one? Amazing work Harod… at least the less we are the fast we go. Llesh Haruuc wants our relic back as soon as possible.”

This time the liutenant choose to ignore her, and orders the gate open.

“Evening is approaching, but with the help of your guides you may travel during night; the first part of the road is easy enough to permit it; and our ‘ambassador’ said one thing right: faster is better."

As you are passing through the gate, Sterngate's captain calls for you, waving his hands while bringing something to see:
    "Hey, wait a minute! I wanted to thank you for what you are doing, you and the liutenant here may be adventurers, but we are there to protect our country, and I wanted to thank you on behalf of Brelish Army Sterngate regiment. Here's something for you: we haven't got many resources to spare, but those may be useful against the Emerald Claw. I lost four men against a group of those terrorists, and I know their tactics"
    Ha hands you two potions and a bottle of oil, with labels on them: 'Protection from Evil', 'Hide from Undead' and 'Bless Weapon'.
    Last edited by CozJa; 2017-04-28 at 10:23 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Sorry for the late reply. I am abroad and I will be back in about 10 days. I Will post, but maybe less frequently.

Jack thanks the men on the walls for their generosity but asks for no potion; he might make use of one or two later, bit they might be better suited to others.
    As the group assembles and gets ready to set forth, Jack starts doing his magic. He counts ten people, including the Angel, his familiar and himself. He starts weaving astral threads to bind the group together, easing the effort of doing magic on each other. Without breaking stride, he quietly moves from person to person asking about themselves. He only needs a minute with each, and what is being said has no relevance with the magic at work. Still, it is a good time to get to know them, their goals and their preferences. To each he asks their names and provenance (if he does not know in advance), as well as their preferred tactics. He wants to know if they would prefer the protection of the Silver Flame or if they would rather hide in the darkness; if, given the choice, they would rather be bigger and stronger or smaller and more agile, and if there is anything that they fear in particular, or that they could use. He also asks why they are going on this mission, and what they hope to accomplish for themselves: it always pays to know the motives of one's companions.
    Finally, having completed the tapestry of the group in his mind, he turns himself invisible using the power of his ancestors and gets to work as he walks, weaving his spells inside said tapestry.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking over the assembled company, Sidara takes measure of the brave or foolish few who will soon be fighting alongside her. "Did you and your men serve during the war?" she asks of the senior Brelish agent. "If I trust to watch back out there, will I regret it?" The question is forward, her tone is firm, but her intent is not to disparage. If she receives a satisfactory answer, she claps a hand on the man's soldier. "Good."

Stepping in front of the deva, she bows her head in a rare showing of respect. "Bright one," she says in the celestial tongue. "Welcome." She need not question the competence of an angel of Shavarath.

Moving right past the hobgoblins, whose presence here is an unfortunate necessity, she nods stiffly to Jack and Inu before glancing about in search of their warforged companion. "Where's Blue?" she asks with a glance to their Blademarked handler.

The Deneith's answer provokes a string of muttered curses, some in the common tongue but most in orcish. "Well that's great. Thank you, lieutenant. Your vote of confidence is just as valuable to us as a nearly indestructible warforged..."

Rather than hear whatever excuse he has to offer, Sidara turns around and steps closer to the gate. Frustrated though she may be -- Blue was the one she liked, after all -- it's clear she's ready to leave.

Or, at least, she was. Hearing Gheerla's final remark, Sidara turns suddenly on her heels, looking from Gheerla to Mahk'r to Harod. "Wait-- what relic? What in Khyber's darkest depths is she talking about?"

Show
    If possible, I'd like to use the same modified Sense Motive check from before to get a sense of how capable the Brelish troops are. The same goes for the two hobgoblins. I don't need exact builds, just looking for a general sense of their level and whether or not they seem like frontline combatants. Not sure if you'd prefer one check or two, but here's two just in case:

Sense Motive + BAB: (d20+11)[18]
    Sense Motive + BAB: (d20+11)[13]
    Last edited by rypt; 2017-05-02 at 10:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

“I hope you know how to fight better than why you are here!” says Gheerla; before anyone answers, Mahk’r explodes “Oh stop it, now! That’s pushing it too far! We have to work together, and you are supposed to be the ambassador!” He tells her in common, so that anyone can understand. He turns to Sidara and answers her, while the group leaves the gates.

“Two months ago, a holy relic was stolen from one of our ancient ruins: the tears of Laegran. We believe that the culprits were Emerald Claw cultists, even if we ignore the reason. Llesh Haruuc ordered us to find the relic and bring it back to its proper place. And that’s why we’re here. At least until my Duur’kala won’t get us booted out from every group across Khorvaire!”

“And why should that be your problem? You can always go back to your beloved jungles.” answers her.

Commander Harod d’Deneith looks at your group as you start the voyage, with Jack gently conversing with his new companions and Sidara and Gheerla looking at each other like they were going to kill themselves in a couple of minutes.
    “Good luck, and may the Sovereigns guide your way… you’ll need it

As Jack speaks with the group, Sidara observes with care each answer, to better assess what they are capable of.

One of them, who looks like he is the leader of the group (or, at least, the more talkative one) presents himself as Alain Smythe; he explains that his work is that of an expert in trapping systems, and has had more than three years of experience as an adventurer in the Eldeen Reaches, before joining the Dark Lanterns. At Jack questions he answers that he prefers to hide in darkness and to be smaller and agile. Regarding his fears he answers: “Somebody knowing my fears” with a smile, then shows Jack a bunch of alchemical flasks and a Hand Crossbow. “I prefer to keep people at distance. Well… enemies, at least!”
    The youngest one (who startled at Sidara intervention at the meeting) presents himself as Beren Devin. He speaks way less than Alain, and frequently let the other man answer for him: he, too, is an expert infiltrator, even if he doesn’t want to explain where, and for whom, he worked before. His tactical answers are basically the same as Alain’s, even if he spots a shortsword and has no flasks; when asked about his fears, he answers that fear is something no-one should get rid of.

The third man is called Wrogar Bakker. Jack immediately recognize, by speaking with him, that he is a fellow arcanist, and Wrogar, who doesn’t look very amiable, brightens up a bit at the Half-Giant’s mention of its incantations, explaining that he graduated at Arcanix and is now working with the Brelish government with the desire to be part of a group working for something ‘big and important’. At Jack’s mention of size modifications, he offers to discuss what spells they could use and how they could complement each other arsenal.

Gheerla, for once, looks a bit more relaxed after half an hour of walking, and answers to Jack’s questions with less rudeness than expected: she is a bardic enchantress of the hobgoblin tribes, and knows some useful spell to render herself more difficult to hit. She has abilities that can bolster all the group, and obviously prefers to stay away from the frontlines.
    Conversely, Mahk’r is a powerful warrior, and appreciates every help possible in covering the frontlines; at Jack’s mention of ‘tactics’, the hobgoblin’s eyes widen and he starts talking about endless technicalities about troop formations, flanking positions, the best use of terrain and strike forces, and a lot of things specific to military sciences, that become quickly boring for everyone but the more versed in the art of war.

Spoiler: Sidara Checks:
    Show
    Observing her new group of companions, Sidara tries to ascertain their abilities, sure, it is difficult without actually seeing them in action, but her experience in the field gives her a little advantage: Wrogar and Alain seem to be decent warriors compared to the soldiers she helped trained, but leagues behind she or Jack. Beren is probably on par with the recruits, as far as combat prowess goes. Clearly they were not sent to help in battle.
    The heavily armed hobgoblin, instead, looks like he would be a match even for Sidara usual standards, while the female one is “trickier”: she may be on par with them, but looks and moves like somebody who wants to hide her real strenght, succedeing in it.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

As he makes his 'round', Jack quikly comes to realize that his travelling companions are quite the sneaky lot, and would hardly welcome the illuminating protection of the Flame. Still, there are other kind of helps that can be offered. He files the information away for future use.

Finding out about the ulterior motive of the two hobgoblins is... refreshing, at least to Jack. It helps to know what motivates people, especially If you do not particularly like them. "What does this relic do, exactly? It's function might give us a clue on why it was stolen..." he asks to investigate the subject further.

Show
    Listen - (1d20+17)[37], Spot - (1d20+17)[31], Spot2 - (1d20+17)[32]

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika