New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dragonmarks Elite: Golden Stream of Silver (IC)

"Ah, we should be so lucky!" comments Jack. "Still, it is decided. We'll strike with the cover of darkness. Once inside, though, those who want it will be receive the luminous protection of the Flame."
    My day job is killing me. But I will rise again, more powerful than ever!

PbP: Sky Captain (IC|OOC) - The Warlock of Monte Cristo (IC|OOC)
    Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

As you decide the appropriate time to act, you finally reach the cavern; laying on some boulders, you can see the cavern's entrance from a distance of around 50ft. The darkness covers almost every trace of movement, and the rocky outlines lose themselves into the mouth of night.

“Let it be a night attack, then; you two, formation Halas Five, move now!” Says Alain.
    Acting at the appropriate time, the three dark lanterns are the first to take initiative; Wrogar casts a spell on Beren (Jack recognize it as a standard darkvision), while the ranger activates an headband to obtain the same result.
    Alain and Beren advance toward the cavern entrance, looking for traps and possible secret passages.

Mahk'r turns to Jack, adjusting his banner to have it not being an hindrance into the cave.
    "Any help from the Flame would be appreciated, wise man." He says, then extract a large spiked chain and wields it in his hands, advancing slowly; Gheerla casts a couple of spells on herself, and follows in Mahk'r footsteps with a fixed distance; you can't help but feel that the two of them did something similar many times.

After some time, you here a 'whirl' and a 'click', like some system springing, but nothing happens. Beren signals that everything is ok, and all of you can advance into the cave.
    Does this poster have a sign?

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

As they near the cave, Jack takes the Deva to a side and asks it: "I know we might or might not get a useful answer, but I was hoping you could take a few moment and see if you can divine something about what's in those caves. Specifically, I'd like to know where and when we'll be facing the stiffest resistance, so that we might use our resources appropriately."
    He also makes a point to explain to every member of the group where and when he will use magic on them, and to agree on what kind of blessing they will be receiving, to make sure it will aid them rather than hamper them in their efforts.

Right before the final approach, he casts his long-duration buffs for the whole party. He asks the Deva to do the same, as they discussed previously.
    As the signal comes, he turns invisible and proceeds with the others, his familiar next to him and the deva in front of him for protection.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Jack asks the Deva to use one of its Divination SLAs to get that answer. Good result on a 79 or lower, i think: Divination - (1d100)[42].

Buffs are as follow, each one can be given to those who want it:
    Full day:
    - Greater resistance: +3 to saves (resistance)
    - Greater luminous amor: +8 AC (armor), -4 to enemy attacks in melee range. Also functions as a daylight spell (daylight in a 60-foot radius, and dim light for an additional 60 feet beyond that). He uses a charge of Rod of Body Restoration to offset the str damage.
    - anticipate Teleportation

Up to about 2 hours:
    - Heroism: +2 morale bonus on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks
    - Benediction: +2 luck bonus on all saving throws, can choose to reroll a single attack roll, saving throw, skill check, or ability check after seeing the result of the initial roll, ending the spell. Not active on Jack himself. :(
    - Guardian Spirit: when activated (immediate action), for 1 minute +2 insight bonus on Armor Class, Reflex saving throws, Dexterity checks (including initiative checks), and Dexterity-based skill checks.
    - Ironguts; +5 alchemical bonus on Fortitude saves against all kinds of poisons
    - Magic circle against Evil: +2 deflection vs evil, wards from mental control, and from summoned creatures.

On Jack and his familiar only (personal range):
    - Heart of Water
    - Heart of Earth

The deva will provide:
    - Protection from arrows
    - Death ward (9 min duration, just in case we find something nasty at the beginning. as it takes a full minute to buff everyone, later on it will renew it on Jack only, unless a specific, known threat is near, such as the toughest fight if we get that divination working).

Already in the quiescent weave, ready to be cast but not active, are the following (10-12 minutes duration):
    - Cat's Grace: +4 Dex (enhancement)
    - Fly: 60ft (good), 40 ft if encumbered
    - Reduce Person
    - Draconic Might: +4 to Strength, Constitution, and Charisma, Natural armor (enhancement), immunity to magic sleep and paralysis effects.

Jack might be fatigued by the casting (he is if he fails one of the following, DC varies): Fort13 - (1d20+10)[16], Fort12 - (1d20+12)[13], Fort14 - (1d20+12)[16], Fort13 - (1d20+12)[29], Fort11 - (1d20+12)[16], Fort13 - (1d20+12)[13], Fort14 - (1d20+12)[13]. Edit: indeed, Jack should be fatigued. I will have him burn through 1 point of inspiration to avoid that. Adding the two used to cast the cleric spells, it's now at 12/15.

Finally, good old Spot - (1d20+17)[24] and Listen - (1d20+17)[25] for Jack; Spot - (1d20+12)[32] and Listen - (1d20+12)[29] for the Deva.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2017-07-31 at 05:34 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

With final preparations underway, Sidara unsheathes her sword and holds it out in front of her. The weapon is a curious thing -- forged of Flametouched Iron, a rare metal found in only in Thrane, but of a form and design clearly inspired by the orc smiths of the Shadow Marches. Running her fingers along its edge, she intones a spell to imbue the blade with powerful magical energy. A moment later, a second spell summons before her an invisible barrier of force, a wave of displaced air buffeting those gathered nearby.

Once Beren signals that it is safe to proceed, the Cyran soldier follows behind Gheerla, her eyes magically adjusted to the pre-dawn darkness.

It's about damn time, she thinks to herself as she approaches the mouth of the cave.

Show
    Sidara will refresh her casting of greater magic weapon (11 hour duration) and then cast shield (8 minute duration). She will also expend a 2nd level spell slot for 20 minutes of infernal night-vision.

From Jack, she'll happily accept greater resistance, magic circle against evil, heroism, benediction and ironguts. Greater luminous armor would be helpful once a fight breaks out, but I don't think its smart to have a daylight spell active while we're attempting to enter the cave under the cover of darkness.
    Last edited by rypt; 2017-08-01 at 09:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    The Armor will be activated once inside the cave. Since others will light things up anyway then, it would probably be pointless not to get it, unless one means to sneak around.

Reading your post made me realize I did not specify it anywhere, bit that's why I meant.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2017-08-02 at 01:44 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

As the Deva stops for a moment, recollecting some possible divination to help on the task at hand, all of you can feel that the darkness in the cave seems different from the normal darkness of the night, as if it was more... unnatural, in some way...

The Deva breaks the silence after a while, giving you some input: "I perceive an immediate threat, and we should be ready to act as fast as possible. After this, all is lost into an overwhelming sense of evil; I can only feel that something here resonates with the same dark vibration I perceived in the depths of the cave. But I am unable to understand what. Be wary of everything!"

As you enter the place, you feel the darkness around you becoming more dense; with it, a disgusting stench of death and dried blood overcomes everything else. As you try with difficulty to see clearly around the cave, you notice that it is quite large, and it's impossible to distinguish clearly what is on the walls.
    After a while, Jack's Deva companion shouts an alert: "LOOK AT THE CEILING!"

As he says it, three different groups of horrible creatures, attached with slimy tentacles on the ceiling, spread their bat-like wings and start flying around: you can see that they have no bodies, just flying heads that resemble human and goblinoid features; suddenly you realize what happened to the Bugbears who entered the cave!

As the monsters attack you, three other silent figures approach you from distance, seemingly disinterested in concealing their presence: they are similar in form to the disgusting aberrations known as "mind-flayers" legendary creatures considered by many cultists of the dragon below as 'holy harbingers' of the Daelkyr's blessings, but theyr skin, even to a black and white darkvision, looks paler and decadent, and part of theyr limbs show signs of decomposition.

Show

@iTookUrNick: So, Jack doesn't even need to roll his knowledge checks: he immediately recognizes the flying monsters as Vargouilles.
    The other ones are Vampiric Mind-Flayers, and if you want to roll religion and dungeoneering checks to see how much he knows about them it can be done!

@rypt: Sidara is surely isn't the knowledgeable type, but she can recognize the vargoulles too, if you want to try the same rolls for the Vampiric Mind-Flayers you're free to try!

@Both: so, here's the initiative order:

Jack+Deva 34
    Vampiric Mind-Flayers 27
    Hobgoblins 25
    Sidara 11
    Dark Lanterns 8
    Vargouilles 8

There will be no surprise round, since you were expecting an attack and the Deva noticed the monsters.

Here's the map You should be able to edit it, if not let me know. I placed you according to your posts, but if you'd prefer to start in a different position I have no problems with it; just describe your movements IC and (if you want, else I'll do it) directly modify your positioning in the map. Even if the posting order would be iTookUrNick ->me->rypt->me again, for the sake of keeping things going post when you can! I prefer to modify slightly the order of action than to have you wait another two weeks!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Jack is aware of the creatures' locations and, more importantly, the creatures' type as soon as he is in range (100 ft). He will also see any enchantments in place.
    Religion - (1d20+16)[29], Dungeon - (1d20+12)[23] to see what he knows about these things.
    He will use his MOVE action to trigger his quiescent weaving buffs for the whole party.
    He will use his STANDARD action to cast Prismatic Mist on the group of enemies on the right (see outline on the map).
    He uses 3 inspiration points to get an extra STANDARD action to turn the vampires.
    Note that with the buffs, the Hobgoblins jump ahead of the vampires in the initiative order, and the lanterns are before the Vargouilles rather than at the same time.

I took the liberty to add my familiar to the combat grid. It might be more of a burden than a resource, but all the spells in place might give it a chance (say, against a varguille or something). Plus, I might polymorph it at one point, though probably not this fight.
    For the time being, the familiar READIES an action to intercept anything closing on Jack. Its damage is pitiful (1!) but it's meant to be defensive.

The Deva will use her FULL ROUND action to charge one of the vampire mind flayers. She will charge the one in the top-left quadrant. She has the speed to reach and then some.
    Attack - (1d20+20)[37], Damage - (2d6+8)[17], AndFire - (1d6)[6], IfCrit - (1d20+20)[38] (19–20/×2)

Jack is the first to sense the enemies in the cave, but it is the Deva that spots them first and warns the others. With a few quick words, he completes the spells that he had previously laid to rest in his weave. An explosion of light and magic descends upon the party and spreads outward, illuminating everything as if the sun had gone up. Scarcely a moment has passed that he turns on he offensive, conjuring a fine mist in the thick of the enemy forces. That''s a bit of a gamble on Jack's part, as it might become ineffective or outright dangerous. He warns the others: "Stay out of the mist on our right!"
    Finally, with a decise gesture, he brandish his holy symbol and declares: "Begone, foul creatures!"

The celestial wastes no time and charges one of the creatures with a single leap, aiding herself with her powerful wings and bringing her flaming sword to bear. As she does so, she hollers "For the Silver Flame!"
    Tail, the familiar, circles Jack and watches for incoming dangers.
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2017-08-15 at 11:30 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

When Jack uses his holy power, the nearest vargouilles explode into a bright light, releasing a disgusting greenish pus on the floor; as the mist appears, some of the cratures start shrieking horribly, and one of the Mind Flayers appears from it, with some trace of an electric charge still releasing from it. The creature let slip a inhuman cry, then a guttural noise that could be considered... a laugh... and starts communicating into your minds. "You think you can control us? You think you can scare us? See what real power IS!"
    As he speaks telepathically, a cone of sonic energy comes forth from his mouth. blasting everyone in its path. The hobgoblins are able to resist it's effect, and Beren shrugs it off without problems; Wrogar and Alain, instead, are affected by it, and they seem incapable to react at what is happening around them.

Spoiler: Mind Blast
    Show

The Vampiric Mind Flayer releases a Mind Blast, DC 16 or stunned for 8 turns... good luck

On the other side of the cave, the Deva runs as a ligthing bolt toward the other Vampiric Mind Flayer, as a storm of Vargouilles tries uneffectively to scratch it; he is able to hit the undead abomination with his fiery sword. the aberrant creature shouts for the pain, then tries to stun the celestial warrior with the same tactic used by the other one.

Spoiler: Mind Blast, again
    Show

Only for the Deva, DC 16 Will or stunned for 6 turns

The third Vampiric Mind Flayer, affected by the mist, tries to use it as concealment and gain some distance from the group.

At the same time, Gheerla and Mahk'r prepare themselves for the fight: the capable warrior moves toward the other storm of Vargouilles, as to protect the left side of the group, and extracts a spiked chain, waiting for the monsters to attack.
    The Dirge Singer starts chanting a strange litany in goblinoid, using its effects with the goal to protect the group against the Vargouilles shrieks.

Show

Mahk'r moves to R25, while Gheerla starts using a countersong, her perform is (1d20+15)[18]

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Sidara tightens her jaw and narrows her eyes as she gazes across the cavern. She is equally disgusted by what she does see -- a throng of abhorrent and unnatural creatures -- as she is irritated by what she does not -- even a single knight of the Emerald Claw. She knows that these reanimated vargouilles and mind flayers cannot possibly be the whole of the Order's presence here.

When the consciousness of the nearest mind flayer touches her own, Sidara wheels to face the tentacled monstrosity. Leaning into the wave of psychic energy it unleashes, she scoffs at the creature's boast of "real power."

With little more than a thought, she invokes a spell to hasten her own movements and those of her nearby companions. It's a spell that most of them are likely to have experienced many times before, yet not only does Sidara elicit its magic with unusual ease, but she also seems to realize its effect with unusual potency.

In the heartbeat's span that follows, Sidara moves with such astonishing speed that to those looking elsewhere, it's likely not immediately apparent where she's moved to, only that she's no longer standing between Wrogar and Gheerla. The whistle of her blade announces her position behind the isolated mind flayer, and heralds a blow delivered with enough force to shatter bone and stone alike.

Show
    Swift action: Sidara casts haste (quickened by way of the Swiftblade's Sudden Casting class feature) on everyone but Jack, Jack's familiar and the deva. Sorry, Nick!
    Unforunately, Mahk'r and Jack are more than 30 feet apart and I figure it's better to get Mahk'r.

Move action: Sidara moves to AF26.

Standard action: Sidara attacks VM2. She will Power Attack for a -4 penalty to attack and a +8 bonus to damage. If the attack hits, the Knockback feat will grant her a free bull rush attempt with a +8 bonus on the Strength check. She does not move with this bull rush attempt. Her aim is to force the mind flayer to collide with the wall at AC29 (or AD29?).

Attack: (d20+17)[27]
    Damage: (1d8+18)[19]
    Crit confirm: (d20+17)[21]
    Crit damage: (1d8+18)[24]

Bull rush (on hit only): (d20+28)[41]
    If the mind flayer hits the wall, it takes an additional (8d6+15)[46] damage due to the Dungeon Crasher Fighter ACF.

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HP 88/88, DR 10/magic vs ranged, Speed 130 ft., 90 ft. fly (good)
    AC 27 (29 vs. evil), Touch 14 (16 vs. evil), Flat-footed 24 (26 vs. evil), Fort 18, Ref 17, Will 14
    Last edited by rypt; 2017-08-16 at 04:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    You can have that guy reroll his Will save, but at the cost of expending the benediction. It might be worth it.
    WillJack - (1d20+16)[29], WillDeva - (1d20+17)[24], WillTail - (1d20+17)[20]; all good.

Shielded by the power of the Light and unshakeable faith, neither Jack nor the Deva are hampered by the blast. "Go get them!" exults Jack as Sidara attacks.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Sidara attacks catches the monster by surprise, and the sheer momentum of her launch sends the Vampire crashing into the wall. Surprised, but still alive, the revolting creature loses a couple of peaces of dead skin, and two of its tentacles dislocate from his mouth, dangling on the left side and giving him an even more grotesque appearance;

the Vargouilles in the cave start storming toward the group, while others on the left side try to distract the Deva from his fight.
    As one of them tries to charge into the stunned Dark Lanterns, Mahk'r attacks it while it passes, immediatly destroying it, and the others decide to take a safer approach.

Beren, who is the only one left reactive, unsseathes his shortsword and puts himself between the Vargouilles and his companions, attacking one of the flying heads

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Mahk'r attack on the Vargouille (1d20+13)[20] Damage (2d4+7)[10], the monster dies
    Beren attack on another Vargouille (1d20+3)[9] (1d6)[4]
    Jack Deva must roll 3 Fortitude saves at DC 12 to overcome the Vargouilles Shrieks or suffer paralysis for (2d4)[4] round

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    the Draconic might spell makes all of us immune to paralysis.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    well, clearly the vargouilles don't Know it :P then state the Deva's actions!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

The Deva continues his assault with her sword on the vampiric creature, slashing repeatedly and ignoring the varguilles.
    Almost on the other side of the cave, Jack decides to get his hands dirty with the Flame's work and proceeds to stab the other vampire with a well placed thrust. Tail zips near Jack, aiding him and distracting the creature.
    Show
    Deva, full attack:
    - [roll=Hit1]1d20+18[roll], [roll=Dmg1]2d6+8[roll],[roll=FireDmg1]1d6[roll], [roll=Crit1]1d20+18[roll]
    - [roll=Hit1]1d20+13[roll], [roll=Dmg1]2d6+8[roll],[roll=FireDmg1]1d6[roll], [roll=Crit1]1d20+13[roll]

Jack, charge (with reach, spending 1IP to add Int to dmg):
    - [roll=Hit1]1d20+13[roll], [roll=Dmg1]1d6+10[roll], [roll=Crit1]1d20+13[roll]
    Tail, aid another
    - roll[Aid]1d20+21[/roll], to get +2 to hit for Jack. He might provoke an AoO from the vampire, but against a 39+4 effective AC.

Edit: I'll roll OOC
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2017-08-19 at 05:41 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

The Vampiric Mind Flayer fighting against the Deva, now cornered, decides to lash out his rotting tentacles against the holy creature and, at the same time, the one between Jack and Sidara, who looks badly injured, and spots a lot of fresh purple cracks on his dull-grey skin, tries to get the opportunity to hit Jack familiar, then moves to attack Sidara with a desperate move.

Meanwhile, Gheerla keeps singing, and moves closer to the center of the battle, while Mahk'r charges one of the Vargouilles attacking Beren, felling it with one attack of his spiked chain.

Show

Mahk'r attack vs the Vargouille (1d20+15)[19]

Mind Flayer 3 full attack: 4 tentacles: (1d20+6)[8] damage (1d4+4)[8]; (1d20+6)[18] damage (1d4+4)[7]; (1d20+6)[8] damage (1d4+4)[5]; (1d20+6)[25] damage (1d4+4)[7];
    Slam (1d20+4)[11] damage (1d6+6)[10]

Mind Flayer 1 attack: Tentacle (1d20+6)[9] damage (1d4+4)[7] and Energy Drain of 2 levels if hits.
    Last edited by CozJa; 2017-08-24 at 03:00 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Sidara darts forward to cut down the wounded mind flayer before turning her abyssal gaze to the north and west. With Mahk'r's chain making short work of the swarming varguilles, she races across the cavern floor to assist the embattled deva.

Show
    As a full round action, Sidara will use Spring Attack. She'll move 5 feet to AE27, attack and kill VM2, and then move 125 feet to M13.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

As Sidara fell the horrible creatures, all the Vargouilles start shrieking in agitation, and their flapping becomes more hectic;
    Beren decides to take advantage from the openings left by Sidara and Mahk'r actions and attacks one of the Vargouilles, killing it with one blow; unfortunately, one of the flying heads is fast enough to attack him, but thanks to Jack's magic, he is able to resist the creature's poisoned bite.

On the other sides, three Vargouilles flank Sidara, trying to distract her from the Battle between the Deva and the Vampiric aberration, but the warrior is to fast for them, and they aren't able to land a blow on her.

Spoiler: Jack's memory
    Show

When he sees the Mind Flayer fall, destroyed by Sidara blow, Jack remembers something he read years ago in a boring, forgotten book somewhere in Flamekeep library: Vampiric Mind Flayers are considered a rare and dangerous kind of creation, and it's not true if they are vampires twisted by the Daelkyrs, or Daelkyrs creations turned by some vampire lord; there's still an advanced debate between the proponents of the two theories, but both groups agree on few things: since the Mind Flayers lack many of the abilities traditionally given to vampires (like the ability to become gaseous or turn into swarms) and they lack some of their needs (like the need to rest at night and the weakness to sunlight and stakes) they are decidely a different species.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack moves forward, trying to get around the cloud he created, looking to get at the other vampire on the right side of the cave. As he does so, he takes the opportunity to try and skewer one of the varguilles. His familiar flies protectively next to him. Meanwhile, the Deva continues to brutalize the other vampire, slashing and stabbing with her fiery sword in a perfect example of divine wrath.

Spoiler: Info
    Show
    Does Jack remember if they need something in particular to stay dead? Like, a stake in the heart or having their head cut off? If so, he will communicate it to the others.

Jack attack: Hit - (1d20+11)[30], Dmg - (1d6+10)[11] using inspiration, Crit - (1d20+11)[18]

Deva's attack: Hit - (1d20+18)[32], Dmg - (3d6+8)[14], Crit - (1d20+18)[30]
    Hit - (1d20+13)[29], Dmg - (3d6+8)[19], Crit - (1d20+13)[22]

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Grunting in displeasure as the swam of vargouilles move to intercept her, Sidara digs her boots into the cavern floor, kicking up a shower of broken rock as she slides to a halt. Ducking nimbly beneath the first of the fiend's attacks and sidestepping the second, she leaps clear over the third, hurling her sword forward as she propels herself backward. A flick of her rest sets the blade spinning as it flies and a word of power guides it unerringly -- cutting through through two of the vargouilles on its way to the mind flayer behind them.

Show
    Move action: Sidara will move back to P12, automatically succeeding on the Tumble check to avoid provoking attacks of opportunity from the 3 vargouilles.

Standard action: From P12, Sidara will cast whirling blade along the line between rows 12 and 13. With a 60 foot range, the spell reaches column D. The vargouilles in M12 and L13 are affected as through struck normally in melee, as is VM3. Sidara will power attack for -4/+8 and will attempt a free Knockback bull rush attempt on VM3.

M12 Vargouille:
    Attack 1: (d20+17)[22]
    Damage 1: (1d8+18)[22]
    Crit confirm 1: (d20+17)[33]
    Crit damage 1: (1d8+18)[20]

L13 Vargouille:
    Attack 2: (d20+17)[35]
    Damage 2: (1d8+18)[25]
    Crit confirm 2: (d20+17)[18]
    Crit damage 2: (1d8+18)[26]

VM3:
    Attack 3 : (d20+17)[25]
    Damage 3: (1d8+18)[20]
    Crit confirm 3: (d20+17)[31]
    Crit damage 3: (1d8+18)[20]
    Bull rush: (d20+28)[47]
    If it hits a wall, Dungeoncrasher damage: (8d6+15)[44]

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Assaulted by the combined forces of Jack's Deva companion in Sidara arcane fury, the other vampiric mind flayer is tore down to pieces. The angelic creature is able to open multiple wounds, and its attack start to more overcome the high regenerative ability of the undead aberration; when Sidara casts her spell, however, everything happens in a moment: the two Vargouilles on the path of her whirling blade are cut into pieces, with their black, disgusting blood spraying around with screams of agony, while the Mind Flayer is hit on his left flank and smashed by the momentum of her spell into the cave's wall, part of his upper body almost vaporized by the impact.

Mahk'r goes to help Beren and attacks the Vargouille near him, putting it down; Beren crosses him and charges the other Vargouille, exposing himself in the hope of bringing it down immediately; luckily, his effort yelds the expected result, and the young Dark Lantern kills the flying bugbear head.

Meanwhile, Gheerla follows Jack, searching for the remaining vampire. As the Half-Giant and his familiar circle the magical fog and look into the direction the vampire was last seen they notice... nothing. The monster is not there, and there are not traces of him turning invisible or casting some spell. It simply disappeared

Show

Mahk'r attack: (1d20+15)[22]

Beren charge: (1d20+6)[26] damage (1d6)[4] , critical hit confirmed.
    Last edited by CozJa; 2017-09-09 at 04:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wrath!" curses Jack, disappointed at the disappearance of their remaining enemy. "Look around, people, there must be a way forward where the last vampire escaped! You in the back, check on your comrades."
    He tries to stab one of the remaining Vargouilles, without too much ardor. The missing creature is bothering him.

On the other side of the room, the deva converges towards Jack and the missing vampire, stabbing another flying head on her path. Her ardor is undiminished, if not heightened, by the situation.

Show
    Jack (charge): Hit - (1d20+13)[22], dmg - (1d6+1)[4], Crit - (1d20+13)[28]
    Familiar: AidToHit - (1d20+21)[27]
    Deva's charge: Hit - (1d20+20)[25], dmg - (3d6+8)[18], Crit - (1d20+20)[40]

Can we look around or something? Shall we finish the vargouilles first?
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2017-09-11 at 08:45 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Sidara's whirling blade is yet to return to her hand as she shifts to her right and bounds towards the isolated vargouille to the north. Extending her arm as though she might strike the creature empty-handed, her sword arrives in her readied grip at the moment of her swing.

"Shadows and ash!" she mutters through gritted teeth as she considers the consequences of their missing vampire. "We need to find out where that thing went and we need to find out now!"

Show
    Sidara will use Spring Attack as a full round action. She will move to Q6 (30 feet) and attack the vargouille in R5. If it dies, she will then move to AH11 (remaining 100 feet). Can see she see any obvious escape route?

Attack (Power Attack -4/+8): (d20+17)[37]
    Damage: (d8+18)[24]
    Crit confirm: (d20+17)[36]
    Crit damage: (d8+18)[20]
    Bull rush: (d20+28)[41]
    If it hits the wall in row 1, dungeon crasher damage: (8d6+15)[41]
    Last edited by rypt; 2017-09-11 at 03:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

While Jack and the Deva dispatch two of the Vargouilles, Sidara attacks the remaining one with more than enough force to cut it in half, sending the two parts against the ceiling and one wall, where they splatter on them, leaving almost no tangible trace of the monster.

"I'd be happy if the Mind Flayer disappeared in the same way" says jokingly the Bugbear warrior, who is now approaching Sidara.
    "Anyway, I think you are right: It doesn't feel safe to stay here without knowing where that creature went."

Meanwhile, Beren looks for his companions, that are still stunned by the other undead abomination mental attack. Gheerla joins him, commenting on their state. "Those creature's attack require a great force of will to resist, I'm surprised that you where able to stand against it, young fighter. Perhaps you humans are more resourceful than I thought."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Sidara has already begun to examine the cavern wall when Mahk'r approaches. "We're losing the advantage of surprise," she says cheerlessly. "That thing is going to warn its masters, and they're either going to fortify their defenses or flee this place through some other unseen passage." Far more concerned with the latter possibility than the former, she begins to tap the pommel of her sword against different areas of the stone, listening for any differences in the sounds of the impacts.

Show
    Sidara isn't particularly good at any of these, but she'll try nonetheless.

Spot: (d20-3)[16]
    Listen: (d20-3)[0]
    Search: (d20+1)[4]
    Last edited by rypt; 2017-09-14 at 03:49 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Searching with all the attention she can muster, Sidara, who may still be angry for the creature escape, find it difficult to concentrate on what is in front of her: the continuos movement of the dispersing colored mist is distracting to her sight, the Hobgoblin's clanging armor and weapon cover everything of notice, and Gheerla insufferable voice is more annoying then ever...

Still, for a brief moment, the Cyran veteran catches something out the corner of her eye, a glimpse of something that is not where it ought to be; it may be something meaningful, or not, since the luminous aura of the deva sheds a strange light around, unnaturally distorting every shadow...

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

"Allright gentlemen, and women." goes Jack, as things are not actively trying to kill them anymore "we do this with method. Everyone takes a corner of the cave and start looking for hidden passageways, or illusions, or whatnot. Go in half circles and spread toward the center. And, most importantly... what's that?" he asks, pointing towards the swirling mist as something catches his eye.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Familiar: Spot - (1d20+18)[31], Listen - (1d20+18)[29], SearchAidJack - (1d20+1)[2]
    Deva: Spot - (1d20+14)[23], Listen - (1d20+14)[33], Search - (1d20+5)[22]
    Jack: Spot - (1d20+19)[39], Listen - (1d20+19)[30], Search - (1d20+12)[17]

Oh, and the mist stays for 10 mins...
    Last edited by iTookUrNick; 2017-09-17 at 10:55 AM.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

As you look through the room, you have difficult in finding relevant features, apart from rocks, remenants of sliced undeads, and the occasional broken weapon of would-be attackers.

Jack, using his keen senses, is able to notice two places where the natural rocky walls seem to disconnect, forming conveniently medium sized stone shapes, similar to secret doors. He spots one on the eastern side of the wall, and his familiar one on the northern side.
    With the rumors of battle now died out, the Half-giant is able to hear a faint echo of steps coming from the eastern wall, right next to the mist. Apparently, the monster passed through this wall, but there are no traces of an opening mechanism.

The other think that chaught Jack attention, is a small, sharp piece of dark blue crystalline material lying on the floor under the mist; with all the prismatic colours it is difficult to understand what exactly it is.

Show

Well, the mist is not going to be annoying. I hope...
    Anyway, I'm assuming that all follow Jack advice of looking thoroughly around the room and walls, but if Sidara has another suggestion/idea, rypt, feel free to interact in a different way.

The possible secret passages are in purple.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Sidara exhales an irritable breath as she steps away from the eastern door to allow Jack and the others an opportunity to locate the means to open it.

Spoiler: If they can't...
    Show
    Her patience is already strained, and if more than a minute or two passes without any meaningful progress, she begins to dig the toe of her boot into the cavern floor. She clears out one small divot and then another, the second spaced-apart and slightly staggered from the first.

"You're all going to want to take a step back," she says to those gathered near the door. Her tone offers little room for negotiation. Setting the front of her left foot into one of the divots, and the front of her right foot into the other, she draws a holy symbol from beneath her tunic -- a ring of woven flame -- and lowers herself into a sprinter's stance. She takes a deep breath, and speaks softly in the orcish tongue, "let the fire of Kalok Shash burn in my blood." With the final word, she launches herself toward the door with all the considerable strength she can muster.

Show
    Sidara's only going to try to break the door down if Jack and the others can't figure out a way to open it. It just seemed simpler to post this at all once while I've got the time to do it.

Her holy symbol is that of the Binding Flame, the spiritual force worshiped by the Ghaash'kalan orcs.

She'll cast kord's power surge using the Southern Magician feat. She gains a +10 enhancement bonus to Strength applicable only to skill and ability checks. The spell lasts for 1 minute, and she will be fatigued for (1d4)[4] minutes thereafter. Those with knowledge of magic will undoubtedly notice the peculiar nature of the spell, as it appears to be a blend of both arcane and divine magic.

Dungeon crasher gives Sidara a +10 bonus to the Strength check and she will expend a charge of her Torc of the Titans for another +5. Her Armbands of Might grant +2 bonus as well. She'll also use an action point.

Strength check: (d20+25)[31] + (2d6b1)[6] = [37]
    Last edited by rypt; 2017-09-21 at 11:33 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

"Go, fetch!" Jack points at the shiny blue crystal and gives orders to his familiar to retrieve it. He trusts his enchantments to protect it in the mist. Meanwhile, he warns the others about the passages. "I can hear the vampire getting away beyond this slab of rock. Uhm, it's quite solid, unfortunately. Now, we might be able to get past it through strength alone..." he continues, glancing at Sidara "... though if we could just find the latch, it would surely makes things easier.". He knocks and prods, looking for a switch or a similar mechanism.
    Show
    Jack has trap finding. He will try to find the mechanism. He will use 1 IP to add a bonus to the check. Search - (1d20+21)[36]
    Whether or not he succeeds, he will make space for Sidara to go through (one way or the other). The Deva and the goblinoids can follow, then Jack (invisible). Lanterns in the rear, I guess.

Homebrew|Avatar by Ceika

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Jack familiar is able to enter the mist and leave it with the stone without suffering any ill effect. At first glance, it looks like a normal dragonshard, without any magical abilities, but it has been worked to take the actual form.

Spoiler: DC 25 Knowledge (Arcana)
    Show

The dragonshard is one of a pair composing the Shadow Eye, a special scrying implement used by the elven dragonmarked houses to spy on their enemies.

Finally, the other two Dark Lantern snap out of the stunning effect, and are able to reach the group; Alain seems quite annoyed by his poor performance in the fight, but is satisfied to see that Beren has been more helpful than expected. "Good work, rookie!" He tells him, while he starts to help Jack in searching for mechanisms.

After a while, as Sidara grows more and more restless, Jack and Alain notice the presence of two panels, one on the floor in front of the passage, the other one on the left side of the wall. Unfortunately, both of them seem blocked; Alain propose to try and press them alternatively, or to stand on them, but it is difficult to understand how the Mind Flayer was able to do it in such a brief time.

Gheerla, who is studying each one's actions, proposes to help: "I could use an inspiring song of the caveriders to help you, or we c..." Before she can complete her sentence, Sidara, who lost her patience, interrupts her telling everybody to take a step back, uses her magic abilities, and launch herself against the passage, cracking it in half.
    The impact is more than enough to let part of the hidden door fall down and give way for a crooked passageway carved into the stone; it's large enough to let two medium persons walk side by side, but it's not very high on the ceiling.
    Mahk'r decides to walk with Sidara on the front, looking for possible traps, and the other follow in Jack's suggested order. "Your way of dealing with secret doors is one of the most effectives I ever seen." the hobgoblin says jokingly to Sidara, "But a hidden passage should be dealt with more circumspection."