New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: White Wolf? Onyx Path? What's Going On?!

Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    While the book may say that, any examination of the material for 2ed will show vast a profound changes in the lore/rules that invalidate large swath of 1st edition books. So I wouldn't recommend buying 1st edition books, I'd even recommend ignoring them almost entirely.
    Note that they don't blanket encourage you to buy 1e supplements; they recommend specific supplements, ones with a very high fluff:crunch ratio.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghanjrho View Post
    Note that they don't blanket encourage you to buy 1e supplements; they recommend specific supplements, ones with a very high fluff:crunch ratio.
    They recommend the clan books, an anthology and damnation city. That makes 8 books. Of those, 5 are a terrible idea, the clan books.
    It's rather sad, but not unexpected, to see that the writer for the game seemingly have no clue as to how much the changes they made to the clans invalidate large swath of the clan books. They would have been vastly better off recomending books about the covenants.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    I honestly don't like the beat system at all, I'd probably just scrap it all and at some point just say "okay everyone gets an advance" and be done with it. I generally never give XP of any kind individually.
    While not quite this drastic, I don't know why "Group Beats" wasn't the standard.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elderand View Post
    They recommend the clan books, an anthology and damnation city. That makes 8 books. Of those, 5 are a terrible idea, the clan books.
    It's rather sad, but not unexpected, to see that the writer for the game seemingly have no clue as to how much the changes they made to the clans invalidate large swath of the clan books. They would have been vastly better off recomending books about the covenants.
    Could you elaborate, perhaps?
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well let's see. Mekhet, Gangrel, and Nosferatu are mostly unchanged. Ventrue are heavily changed from "those who go mad" to "those who lose touch with humanity". So a lot of references to Madness in the Ventrue book is invalidated. And Daeva went from "cant resist following my vices" to "become infatuated with mortals they feed on repeatedly". The Daeva change isn't as hugely prominent in the fluff, but the Ventrue one is. And all 1e fluff has the old predators taint and fog of ages, which aren't things anymore, so anything with that is dated. Overall, having read them recently, they are overall still useful. Tbh, I think the Covenants have changed focus more than the clans have. Even the histories have changed. The Circle especially used to be considered a pagan constant, with any pagan vampires called "Acolytes" even in the Ancient Mysteries books set way in the past. Now it's a more modern creation.

Edit: oh and obviously any crunch for any book needs to be updated. So the crunch heavier books are trickier to use, while fluff ones just require you to remember the handful of major fluff changes i listed above.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2017-04-01 at 07:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

There was an oWoD demon edition, The Fallen. It is absolutely different lore (actual demons vs matrix style robot angels,) so they're completely different games.

I still want my Demon: the descent PDF for backing the Beast Kickstarter. Did the PDFs ever go out?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trampaige View Post
    There was an oWoD demon edition, The Fallen. It is absolutely different lore (actual demons vs matrix style robot angels,) so they're completely different games.

I still want my Demon: the descent PDF for backing the Beast Kickstarter. Did the PDFs ever go out?
    Looking back through the KS updates, Rich said in Update #24, Dec 2015 that they would be sending out the core book PDF add-ons with the Beast PoD link. So you should have gotten it then, I would guess.

Any specific questions there (if you didn't get your PDF for whatever reason) should probably go to Rich, through the email on Kickstarter, I would imagine.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    CoD has its fluff issues with crossover too. Do the Exarchs control existence, or does the God Machine?
    Why not both?

Where does Duat fall in the Underworld?
    It doesn't. It's a Lower Depth. See Dark Eras Companion

Is changeling and mage Arcadia the same place?
    No.

But those are presented mostly as mysteries to be solved if you do run a crossover with that issue.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    So basically they're thinking short-term and have never saved enough money from their glory days to reinvest in their current company.

Got it.

(As someone who works in finance - losing that much margin makes me twitch.)
    It's more than made up by no longer having to give a Distributor a cut.