New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Mouse Guard Roleplaying game

As someone who enjoy the Mouse Guard comics and like the idea of playing a little mouse against the wild, I found the will to play the Mouse Guard RPG.
    But is the oficial system any good? I passed my eyes over the rules, and as a veteran of D&D I'm not sure how good the game actually plays. Anyone who played it can give me some review, comment on the good/bad things or give tips for a GMing the system?
    Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mouse Guard Roleplaying game

It's a rock solid game, and while it will take some getting used to from a D&D background it's not that much of a learning curve.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Mouse Guard Roleplaying game

Quote Originally Posted by Marcloure View Post
    As someone who enjoy the Mouse Guard comics and like the idea of playing a little mouse against the wild, I found the will to play the Mouse Guard RPG.
    But is the oficial system any good? I passed my eyes over the rules, and as a veteran of D&D I'm not sure how good the game actually plays. Anyone who played it can give me some review, comment on the good/bad things or give tips for a GMing the system?
    Thanks.
    It's pretty awesome, and does a good job of producing a game that feels like the comic, and though I feel like some bits are a little unnecessarily fiddly, that's usually not a problem for people coming from modern editions of D&D, which are DEFINITELY unnecessarily fiddly for me. ;)

Things that Mouse Guard does that are interesting:
    Beliefs, Instincts, and Goals: You define these things about your character, and are rewarded when you play them. Your character's Belief is something fundamental that they ...uh, well, believe and act upon. It's a driver for RP and conflict. Your character's Instinct is something your character does automatically - you always have the option to do it if has mechanical impact, and it also serves as a roleplaying hook. Goals are things your character wants to do - they change session to session.

Nature: All creatures in Mouse Guard have Nature, but each creature's Nature depends on what it is. Mouse Nature is escaping, climbing, hiding and foraging. You can use your Nature (in place of a skill) to do these things, and you use your nature for other things by spending some resources.

Resources, Circles: You don't really track much inventory in Mouse Guard, partly because you can't carry very much. If you need a thing, you make a Resources test to try to get it/find it/buy it. Circles is similar, but for contacts/people.

Conflict System: It's sortof a complicated Rock/Paper/Scissors/Wolf game, but it adapts pretty nice to any 'style' of conflict - Chase, Fight, Argument, etc.

It's pretty straightforward in a lot of ways, but some of the fiddly bits take getting used to.