New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Further Adventures in New Ganthar (IC)

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry guys, my subscription to this thread vanished for some reason - thought I was waiting on you.

Spoiler: Theo
    Show
    Spoiler: layout
    Show
    Theo is with the Crusaders, who prior to events below have two vampires left. They are bunched close together, with 15' between Theo and the vampire.

The Lifewardens are 30' away.

Trusting Lothrain's skill to deal with his opponent, the other Crusaders gang up on the last of their vampires. Weapons flash; holy power flares; but the undead remains in the fight - and surprises you all with the ferocity of a cornered animal, lashing out with its claws alone to wound one of the priests of Relath. With its touch, some of the vigour seeps out of its foe.

Lothrain's opponent leaps to attack him, supernaturally swift - but the Arbiter sidesteps with practised ease, blade searing through the vampire, turning it to mist even before it lands.

The Lifewardens and Lydia surround their foes, maces and halberd striking repeatedly; although the blows do not seem mortal, the vampires choose the better part of valour, turning to mist and floating away.

The elder mage nods with satisfaction, ignoring the last of the undead. "It appears we are no longer needed here. Come, Vanguard - Sir Theo, lead the way."

With a casual flick of his hand, he sends five shrieking spheres of violet force from his hand, darting and weaving over and between the combatants to strike the last vampire. A stench of burning flesh fills the air, and the vampire vanishes into smoke.

Spoiler: Yara
    Show
    Taking advice from a being of unbridled evil, you decide against charging to the rescue. Instead, you go looking for the scattered remnants of the Crimson Fists.

There is no sign of survivors, although you find only four corpses. You can only assume they have been totally routed by the dragon.

You find several sets of masterwork half plate armour and assorted weapons of the same quality. All the suits of armour have the distinctive red-enamelled gauntlets.

Show
    Search check to see if you find anything else please.

Looking at the stars, you note the lateness of the hour. With the adrenaline of recent events fading, you are starting to feel weary. Chances are it is too late to join the assault on the vampires’ lair, unless you had some way of teleporting back…

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yara bends over to search the corpses. She could take her time. If the dragon came after her then she couldn't outrun it.
    Take 20 for total 26
    Noting how late it was, Yara conjures up a sack. Sticking everything she had found in it to take back, she sets off back to the city.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo details for the leaders of the various gathered groups the location of the vampire nest as told to him by Nathalia. I am unfamiliar with the city, he begins, and so I do not know what kind of building it is, how densely packed the buildings and people are, so we will scout the perimeter when we arrive unless someone here has an idea of what to expect. Looking to the Vanguard members gathered. Do you wish to search any remains of the vampires? I know at least one of them, Calartes, was an arcanist. I would not begrudge you from doing your duty to prevent his magics to fall into the wrong hands.

If they do not need that time, Theo points onward with his hammer as a sign to all that it is time to go. Heal your wounds, Theo said in his commander voice, for we march on to the enemy's lair!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Taking your time to go through their possessions carefully, you find various other items a cursory inspection would have missed.

Each had a little gold hidden on their person; in all, you find 415gp.

Two of them were carrying a potion each; from the odour and tasting a small sample, you recognise them as potions of cure critical wounds.

Finally, you come across an object hidden in the folds of another’s tunic: a sparkling rose-cut diamond, perhaps stolen from the dragon’s lair or dropped by the beast when it flew overhead. You will need to get it appraised, but you guess it must be valuable.

This done, you make your way wearily down the mountain. On foot, it takes almost an hour to get back to the city; arriving there, you find its gates shut, a pair of weary guards visible ahead of you. They do not look thrilled with the assignment; but whether that will make them sufficiently uninterested to let you in without quibble, or bored enough to spend hours interrogating you, you can only speculate.

Show
    Lydia shakes her head. “Calartes won't perish for a couple of hours. The rest took their belongings with them when they turned to their gaseous form. Still… Marwen, will you stand guard over Calartes please?”

“Hardly necessary,”
    the old mage grumbles, as the Vanguard officer heads back into the building. “It would take a mighty wizard indeed to undo my work - and what will she do against such a foe?”

“Sound the alarm,”
    Lydia retorts. “You may work alone, but we Vanguard stick together.”

The arcanists lapse into silence as the clerics set about healing themselves. You catch some uncomfortable glances being exchanged among the clerics; finally, one of the Lifewardens coughs awkwardly and speaks up.

“The Seven Sinful Stars… that's a whorehouse, Sir Theo. A classy one, as well. Now, I've never been there myself, but a friend of a friend tells me they're quite popular among the nobility and the wealthier merchants. I don't think burning it down will win us much goodwill.”

“Steady, son,”
    Arbiter Lothrain rumbles. “Evil must be confronted, wherever it lies, whatever form it takes. If this illegal enterprise is a haven for these monsters, doubtless preying on its patrons, then it is our duty to bring it to an end.”

“Hah!”
    the old wizard barks. “Things are looking up, then. If you have to fight evil, do it where there are beautiful girls to oggle.”

Lydia looks affronted, but swallows her objections - no doubt remembering the way this crotchety old lecher turned the battle into a rout.

Even so, she looks at you warily.

“Using magic to destroy a business with a legitimate public face - and the high-price brothels all portray themselves as something legal - that's going to open a can of worms. Even without that, there will be innocent customers - I use the term loosely - and perhaps even employees who know nothing of the true face of their employer.”

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

What I would give to have Gunn here, he'd have a good idea for a plan. Theo takes a moment to consider the words of Lydia. We form a perimeter in the night and monitor. Come morning, when I suspect they will have fewer... patrons... we evacuate the building before tearing it down in the daylight. Unless anybody has a better idea?

We should send a messenger to the Palace to keep everything straight with the Prince and his Chancellors, but I do not see them taking issue with tearing down such an establishment that is owned and operated by a vampiric enemy. The only aggrieved that we would give second thought to are the living employees, and it is best that they are away from the vampires anyway.

When we get there, we rest in shifts. I must prepare new spells before I sleep, but other than that I do not care where I fall in the order of resting. We turned enough vampires to mist that they will not be in full force, and they have no cause to believe that we know of their lair. Does that sound good to everyone?
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

6. - Top - End - #126

"Hey there! Can I be let in?" Yara calls out as she approaches, not hiding the weariness in her voice. She stops a few metres away, wanting to see how they would act.
    Last edited by Timble; 2017-05-16 at 01:16 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    The guards seem about to let you pass without comment, but you hear someone address them from just outside your line of sight. You feel like the voice is familiar - and a moment later, the elderly priest of Charis, Father Michel, hobbles into view.

Your imagination treats you to a vivid flashback: the Trial By Faith, with this man as mouthpiece of Charis, sentencing you to death - and suspending that sentence only temporarily, for three months if you remember rightly, to give you time to win free of the demon.

Abruptly, irrationally, a surge of fear and a desire to attack Michel comes over you. Your instincts, or the demon?

His hands are clutched around a steaming mug of hot coffee, and his face shows signs of fatigue and strain. He eases his way past the guards and addresses you with a faltering smile.

"Ah, young Yara. You kept me waiting. It's well past my bedtime, you know! Hah. They tell you such things as bedtimes are behind you when you become an adult. Let nobody fool you, girl - childhood has nothing on senility."

Turning, beckoning to you as he walks away, he heads back into the guardhouse.

"You might as well come talk, Yara. The guards won't let you in unless I say it's okay. Watchmen have a healthy respect for the Sentinel and Her clergy, as a rule.

"Now, I imagine you know what brought me out of my nice warm bed at this hour of the night. Do you want to tell me about it?"

Show
    The Lifewardens exchange a long look, and their commander speaks up. "Sir Theo, the vampires will reform in two, maybe three hours. If you want to keep the pressure on them, we need to strike now."

Lydia scowls at that. "Damn it all. I'm not losing the chance you've made, Theo. If you are willing, we can proceed with the attack on my authority as a Vanguard officer. We'll give every chance to the customers to vacate the building before we tear it down."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo did not realize how urgent this would be. His experience as a commander did not prepare him for vampire dens in an urban establishment, but he was determined to not let the situation become bigger than him. In a nonverbal sign of approval, Theo lifted his hammer and pointed it forward and nodded. Looking around at his soldiers, and letting his gaze rest with Lothrain and Lydia, he boldly declared: We strike. We strike now, we strike hard, and we take no prisoners. The customers concern me not one speck, we will force them to leave if they are in the way. Our foe is a threat to the living, preys on the weak, and can not be afforded a window to survive.

Spoiler
    Show
    I presume that Theo will not have the opportunity to pray for his spells before the attack?
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Show
    I believe he normally prays at dusk? Since you missed that opportunity (and largely because I didn't point out the time until it had passed), feel free to pray and regain spells now.

Following your lead, the motley band of priests and arcanists makes its way through the darkness of the city.

The streets are quiet, at this hour. Those few who are out are mostly drunken revellers stumbling from tavern to tavern, or shady-looking figures who withdraw into the side streets as you approach.

The Seven Sinful Stars looms ahead of you, garish light blazing from every window, luring in patrons with its pretence of sanctuary from life's drudgery. A pair of men, drink- or drug-addled and giddy, stagger from the door; catching sight of you, they peer owlishly at your weapons before they pale and stumble off into the alleys.

Quietly, Lothrain dispatches a trio of Crusaders to check for other exits. He then moves up beside you.

"Useful though the advantage of surprise is, we need to get the humans out. The last thing we want is for them to be used as hostages, or worse, living shields."

10. - Top - End - #130

Yara wonders whether or not she should just teleport into the city so she can just get to bed without dealing with this.
    Deciding against it, she smiles tiredly and follows him.
    "Well this hour is late for me as well. I just managed to get back from a three-way fight between the Templars, the Maltur cult and a dragon."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Father Michel sighs heavily, laying down his coffee on a small table and awkwardly sitting himself in the hard wooden chair opposite you.

"I wouldn't go spreading that around too much, Yara. After all, if it were known that you had crept in and stolen the prize both sides were after, I imagine you would have more than just the angry dragon after you.

"And I am more concerned with what happened before that. I am concerned because you gave yourself over - willingly - to the demon inside you. You let it run riot through the surrounding settlements. You let it brutally murder a priest of Charis. And you let it tear its gleeful way through a whole family of farmers. Men, women and children who will never see another sunrise, because you bartered your body to a creature of utter evil - to say nothing of your soul."

He seems to see something in your expression, and laughs mirthlessly.

"Perks of being High Priest of Charis, girl. The Lady of Many Paths sees all that passes within Her portfolio. Since the Trial, that has included you. And She talks to me. For a little while longer, anyway."

Abruptly, the demon manifests itself, next to the elderly priest.

"He knows too much. We have no choice. He must die."

Michel looks at you with sadness in his eyes.

"She cares about you, Yara. Poor, lost soul, cursed with a demon through no fault of yours. She wants to see you redeemed. Please, I beg you: let Her help you."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

As Theo finishes praying to Charis for new spells, he responds to the Arbiter. Then we shall use our advantage to get everyone out, swiftly. Now is not the time for diplomacy. When your crusaders get back from their search for other points of exit, we will go in en force and demand that everyone evacuate at once.

When the time comes, Theo casts Bless when his allies are all within range and walks in behind the Arbiter. Looking as determined and gruff as ever, Theo keeps his eyes peeled for any sign of the undead foes they were pursuing. Theo points to direct different members of the group in different directions, and focuses on the image of a coffin as he casts Locate Object.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+6)[17]
    Spot: (1d20+3)[15]
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    The Crusaders soon return, reporting that there is what appears to be a delivery entrance around the back, but otherwise this is the only visible access to the building.

Lothrain divides his Crusaders into two groups, sending one to secure the rear and ordering the other group to hold this entrance. Catching your eye, he explains:

"By Relath's grace, they will know if those escaping are alive or dead - and the dead, they will stop."

"Very reassuring,"
    Lydia mutters, "leave most of our soldiers on guard duty..."

Forcing herself to stop, she joins you and enters the main body of the building.

The entrance hall of the Seven Sinful Stars is a vast, open space, with statues spaced evenly around the room - predictably enough, seven of them, all beautiful female forms engaged in one of the classical deadly sins. The floor is green and black marble, the vaulted ceiling mirrored and blazing with reflected light from flickering red lamps hanging around the room.

A blue carpet is laid from the door to a mahogany reception desk, behind which a handsome older woman in a demure blue silk gown waits to greet you. She raises an eyebrow at the appearance of so many armed and clearly dangerous figures.

Before she can speak, Lydia calls out in a stentorian bellow:

"I am Commander Lydia of the Vanguard! By the authority vested in me by the Crown and the Arcane Fellowship, I command all here to leave immediately. Those who interfere with the Vanguard in the course of our duties will suffer the consequences. Out!"

There is a commotion upstairs, and a mob of people - mostly men - in varying states of undress starts to struggle past you. The Lifewardens eye them carefully, and you sense the presence of divine magic as they do so, ensuring that none of your targets escape.

So far, so good. Focusing your attention on a prayer of divination, you mentally scour the building for the coffins of your foes. You soon find them: forty feet below you, through solid stone.

The woman behind the counter sighs, eyeing Lydia with displeasure.

"This is an outrage, Commander. This is persecution of my business, to no good purpose. You think there are wizards here? Rogue magic? My girls are courtesans. The only enchantments they use on these men are the ones the gods give to all women."

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 23
    Show
    She is lying. She knows something of what goes on here - and she does not appear to be under duress or compulsion.

As the room begins to clear, one of the Lifewardens looks up the stairs. Several stunningly attractive women stand there, dressed in scanty lingerie or nothing at all.

"Undead," the Lifewarden pronounces.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Before entering, Theo adds to the comments between Lothrain and Lydia: The vampires can escape through other means, not just a door. Once we get the living out of the building, I would have you order your men to enter the building. No sense watching an exit that wont even be used.

And then they enter. Lydia shouts out her commands and Theo begins his magical search for the vampiric den. They are beneath us, Theo concludes, makes sense, they wouldnt hide where sunlight could enter through a crack in the walls. Theo relays the location to Lothrain, taking the precaution to whisper to keep their intentions as secreted as possible in case the vampires had guards among the prostitutes. The keeper of the establishment begins to protest at the intrusion, but Theo does not pay her much heed. They had no time to explain the nature of their entry; Stand aside and leave, or face arrest, he says briskly, this does not concern your courtesans.

Undead, the Lightwarden says, and Theo looks up to the woman at the top of the stairs. He draws his hammer before realizing that it is a single woman, dressed in the uniform of a prostitute. Or maybe it does concern them, Theo adds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling initiative, if I go first, please post in here so I can roll some dice on my turn.

Init: (1d20+5)[15]

Rolling for my maneuvers: (1d7)[4] and (1d6)[1]
    1. Charging Minotaur
    2. Foehammer
    3. Mountain Hammer
    4. Battle Leader's Charge
    5. Cloak of Deception
    6. Revitalizing Strike
    7. Divine Surge

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    The divine grace of Charis fills you, making you react faster than your fellow priests, faster than the Vanguard, even faster than the supernaturally quick vampires.

But, swift though your combat reflexes are, the madame behind the counter by some fluke proves quicker. Perhaps this is because she has used this conversation to maneuver into position; perhaps it is because all she does is seize an object from behind the desk and strike it against the wall.

The object is a glass statuette, shaped into a skull, and decorated with a pattern of sinister symbols. There is no time for a full inspection: the statuette shatters into innumerable pieces on impact, letting loose a wail of very human anguish.

In clouds of smoke, accompanied by the stench of decay, four figures appear in the room.

Three are dark-robed, hooded figures bearing staves of carved bone. Their bodies are wreathed in sinister purple flame, and their faces hidden in shadow. They begin to chant, their sonorous, foul-sounding incantation causing your hair to stand on end.

The fourth figure, you recognise with a shock of memory - or, more accurately, you recognise the suit of all-concealing full plate armour the hulking figure wears: blackened steel, wrought with silver filigree; grey cloak; bronze helm with two sweeping horns.

Drawing a greatsword from his back, the armoured colossus pauses, seeming to recognise you in turn.

"Roost?" he demands in a deep, terrible voice that reminds you of steel and tombstones. "This cannot be. Shroud burned you to cinders."

Show
    Your initiative when you're ready, or feel free to talk - within reason,
    I'll treat it as a free action.

16. - Top - End - #136

Yara couldn't speak for a while.
    "I didn't mean for anyone to die..." she managed eventually. Killing just for the sake of it, wasting so much potential seemed so horrible.
    She wondered how much Charis knew. Did she know what the demon had told her?
    "No demon, I think your the one who needs to go," she whispers when it shows up.
    She was angered by his pity. She didn't need it. She couldn't trust what the demon had told her but if it was true then she wasn't the only one manipulated by evil. Unsure what to say, she just stayed silent.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Michel appears to understand what is going on, from the denial to the whispered words. He smiles with gladness, but tinged with sorrow.

"The demon is closely bound to your soul, young Yara. The exorcism is beyond human magic. But it is not beyond the power of my Goddess.

"Forswear the demon, Yara, and this burden will be lifted from you. Turn from chaos, and the Lady of Law will welcome you."

The demon snarls, and abruptly draws itself up to its full height, expanding and transforming into a hideous blend of hairless ape, crocodile, and pure monstrosity. The room seems to burst into flame, and smoke fills your vision, hiding Michel from sight.

"INSOLENT, UNGRATEFUL MAGGOT! HAVE I NOT DONE ALL YOU ASKED OF ME? BUT IF YOU WOULD CALL ME YOUR ENEMY, YOU SHALL LEARN WHAT THAT TRULY MEANS!"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    DC 20 Will save vs possession please.
    Last edited by ilinares; 2017-05-20 at 01:45 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll do a short talk for the free action. I am having trouble finding the post, is this one of the people I saw in the vision of Theo's father's last day?

Shroud? Theo murmers to the armored opponent. Then raising his voice to a more audible tone: I do not know anyone called Shroud. How do you know my name?

And then the realization comes to you. This is the man who rode down with those to kill his family, so many years ago. But I know you, you are the one called Nagor, arent you? Charis Herself showed me who you are. You were among those who murdered my family, trapping them in our home and setting fire to it!

Theo took no time awaiting him to respond, and sprung into action. He steps into his swing and lunges at the hulking mass of armor with his hammer. And Shroud must have been the mage with you, and there was a dwarf as well. Where are your old friends, so I may destroy them when I am finished with you? Theo demands, focusing on Nagor and allowing his allies to team up on the others
    Last edited by gallagher; 2017-05-20 at 12:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    The demon seizes control of your body, and you feel a sense of terrible, claustrophobic nausea, your vision contracting, a sensation of falling into an infinite abyss.

The last thing you see before the darkness takes you is a strange hallucination. It seems as though Michel's face is contorting, elongating, becoming oddly canine...

Then, nothing.

You float in an endless abyss, aware of the passage of time but utterly unable to judge the rate at which it has progressed.
    Lightless, silent, this vast emptiness could be a momentary limbo - or your tomb for all eternity.

Light erupts, filling your vision, overwhelming your senses. Blinking against it all,
    you force your eyes to focus, your racing heart back down from your throat.

There is a terrible pain in your chest - and that agony takes on a new texture, a jagged lancing wrench, as you see a blood-soaked blade being torn free of your sternum.

Blood is everywhere. The two guards you saw earlier are in the room; one is clearly dead, half his face ripped away, while the other is staring at you in horrified dread.

As for Father Michel, he kneels over you, hand radiant with holy light, as he heals your wounded heart. He carries grave injuries of his own... fatal injuries, surely, for his intestines lie beneath him, one arm has been bitten clean off, and his face is a battered mess.

He tries to speak to you, but his jaw has broken; he reaches feebly towards the pouch at his belt, but as he does so, he topples sideways, the old oak falling in the forest.

As you watch, his body ripples, contorts;
    a jagged blade erupts from one fist, then falls away; his head becomes misshapen,
    horned, then canine again. His fist rises, strikes the ground; he gives a roar of unearthly hate, then a piercingly clear cry of triumph. He looks at you, eyes going black, then turning into orbs of blazing light - then, at the last, they clear, and the High Priest of Charis smiles at you.

And dies.

You feel a terrible burden has vanished,
    as though only now noticing by its absence the weight you have been carrying. The sickly, unfaltering hatred that lurked at the back of your mind has gone; and in its place, like a river flooding through a broken dam, raw, boundless psychic power.

Your mind expands, comprehension filling you; all the secrets of the multiverse lie revealed before you; and the challenges you have faced seem suddenly trivial, as you know with absolute certainty you could overcome them with a thought.

Your mind, your body, your very soul burns in that transforming power, becoming something new - on its way to becoming something else entirely.

Your mortal nature balks; it is too much, too soon. Instinctively you throw up a new dam, a new barrier between you and this infinite power.

But the barrier is different, now - letting more of the power through. And it is now a barrier made of your own will.

In time, you may no longer need it.

Show
    Nagor's heavily armoured form absorbs the blow effortlessly, and he turns his faceplate towards you, following your movements.

"Ah - not Roost, but his son. So much for the thoroughness of dwarves.

"No matter. You will be dead soon enough, and the prophecy with you."

The armoured figure raises one gauntlet, clenching it abruptly into a fist. At the gesture, a torrent of crimson flame - familiar to you from your last duel with a Knight of the Eternal Vigil - erupts in a 40' circle in front of Nagor, encompassing the Lifewardens, Lothrain, and the Vanguard - and you. Innocent men and women in the process of fleeing are caught as well, screaming as their bodies turn to ash. Even the proprietress does not escape, her life snuffed out in a callous instant by the creature she called to defend her.

Spoiler: Abyssal Blast
    Show
    27 damage, Reflex DC 17 for half. Damage is 50% fire, 50% untyped.

All but two of the junior Lifewardens fall, crying out as the fire burns their flesh. A swift response by Eldan, their commander, sees a third survive, his burns healing as quickly as they form; Eldan himself is quick enough to avoid the worst of the flames, but still has blisters over half his body. Eldan wastes no time, however, bounding past you to confront the vampire courtesans on the stairwell, healing himself as he goes.

Lothrain raises a hand in a gesture of denial, and the fire parts, flowing around him; but a sickly cloud of black energy seeps over him, causing him to grimace with pain and distaste. Hefting his sword, he rushes one of the enemy mages and attacks, dealing a heavy blow; the mage falters in his concentration briefly, but drags the spell back under his control.

Of the Vanguard, Lydia manages to duck beneath the worst of the flames, although still suffering from the heat. Althazan seems initially untroubled by the blaze - but, like Lothrain, soon learns that there is more to this attack than fire alone.

They each focus on the enemy mages. Althazan barks a counterspell, and one of the trio staggers, clearly feeling the magic he was gathering dissipate. Lydia attacks another, sending a pair of fiery lances towards him from her free hand; one misses, but the other proves to the mage that it is not just the undead who can play with fire.

Even injured, the mage continues his incantation.

Atop the stairs, the three vampire courtesans smile in predatory fashion at Eldan. No visible sign marks the ensuing struggle, which takes place solely in the mind - but, a few seconds later, Eldan sinks to the floor.
    Last edited by ilinares; 2017-05-23 at 02:24 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Prophesy? Theo thinks to himself, knowing nothing of prophesy (and, having never put much faith into prophesy, it was odd for it to be mentioned here). All the same, this foe was strong to absorb Theo's mighty strike...

And then Nagor uses a burst of magical fire, one he had seen before. Theo looks around briefly to see many of his allies fall to the blast, and Theo is harmed as well by it. But the fire inside him burns hotter and brighter than the burst of his enemy, and Theo commits to the fight.

Theo channels the determined fury of his Goddess and swings at the helm of Nagor. Charis's light will burn you to the ground! Theo exclaims.

Spoiler
    Show
    54 HP with 5 in the delayed pool, swift action for Animal Devotion (strength bonus) for a total strength of 22. +1 atk for the delayed damage pool, +1 from bless, +3 from law devotion, so my total attack bonus is 20.

I am using Divine Surge, so I will not power attack at this time to maximize my chances of landing a hit. (1d20+20)[35] for (1d8+10)[13] in base damage, (1d6)[2] for Sacred damage, and (8d8)[38] from divine surge.

2nd of 10 rounds of law devotion, 1st of animal devotion, several minutes of Bless to go
    Last edited by gallagher; 2017-05-23 at 12:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    This time, your powerful strike lands home, winning past Nagor's defences. He stumbles a step, then brings his greatsword up in a powerful counter-attack, the blade wreathed in shadow and rimed with frost.

The blade lands with exquisite precision, carving almost contemptuously past your defences and delivering a terrible blow to your side. Agony erupts through your body, as unholy power tears through your flesh and soul.

Spoiler: Smite Good Power Attack Critical Hit
    Show
    61 damage, and DC 15 Fortitude save vs death from massive damage.

The mages finish their incantation, and a pair of ghouls spring into being, quickly becoming embroiled in battle with the Crusaders by the door.

Althazar, cursing, barks a spell and abruptly teleports you and Lydia, so that you exchange places. The Vanguard for her part strikes at the death knight with a lightning-coated halberd, but finds her blow slapped aside with the flat of her enemy's sword.

Lothrain, his attention wholly on you, calls on Relath to save you from your injuries.

Show
    Delay Death and CCW for 18 HP restored
    Last edited by ilinares; 2017-05-24 at 04:44 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Yara was too shocked too move for a few seconds. She could feel the demon gone for which she was grateful, but it had caused so much death. She could feel much change within her, some things lost and others gained. She could see along her arms that her Feronaxian blessing had progressed, her previously barely visible scales were much more prominent.
    Shakily standing up, she looked around the room to see what it was like. Too unstable to remain standing, she knelt down by the body.
    "It's over," she says to the survivor, still too shaken to emote."Do you need help?"
    She slips a hand into the pouch, trying to see what Michel had been reaching for before he died.
    Spoiler: Edit
    Show

Forgot to ask:
    Health: Do I reroll it all?
    Last edited by Timble; 2017-05-24 at 05:47 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo tasted blood erupting into and out of his mouth at the strike, but almost as quickly he was teleported back and healed by the grace of Relath. That strike was nearly my end, Theo explained. I need more healing, else I will be out with another strike, regardless of Relath's blessing he said to Lothrain, and looking around to see if another cleric were unoccupied.

Looking back at the enemy, Theo realized that Lydia would be outmatched against the undead knight. He had spells that might finish the Nagor with some luck, but his aim would need to be better than the last time with Lydia in the way. All the same, Theo emitted a quick prayer for Charis's blessing of protection upon him and his allies and shot a bolt of holy light at Nagor.

Spoiler
    Show
    21 HP right now, with 5 more coming off at the end of the round. If there is no cleric close enough to slap some more healing on Theo, then he asks it to Lothrain. I also gave a +4 sacred bonus to AC for myself and all allies within range.

Searing Light, including my bonuses to attack (+5) and penalty for firing into melee: (1d20+8)[16] for (7d6)[23] (it does not appear that he is an undead that would be sensitive to light). Fingers crossed for a high roll, or a low touch AC.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Show
    Yes, reroll health please.

The soldier, looking terrified and clearly not convinced the demon is gone, holds the spear pointed at you with shaking hands.

"Stay where you are! Oh gods... I... I place you under arrest in the name of the Crown. You will surrender your weapons and come quietly."

He looks around, wide-eyed, clearly conscious he has no allies, no support, no one to send for help.

For the moment, you focus on Michel's last actions - the pouch at his waist. Looking inside, you find a hastily written note addressed to Theo, and a second addressed to you.

Spoiler: The note to Yara
    Show
    Yara

If you are reading this, I am probably dead.

Know that I go to my death willingly, knowing what awaits me beyond this world - and what awaits me if I survive. I do not court death, but I know it is a possibility. It is a price I am willing to pay, for your soul.

I enclose a note to Theo which explains more - I have no time to repeat myself - but know this. All your life you have been lied to, used for the purposes of evil beings. Your past is a darkness not of your making - but the future is yours to choose.

Redemption is real, and within your grasp. If I have died, it is so that you can seize that chance - perhaps your last.

Charis bless you, child. Farewell.

Michel.

Spoiler: The note to Theo (if you open it)
    Show
    Theo

Our Goddess has answered my prayers, and granted me a day of clarity, free of this foul senility. That being so, let me put pen to paper and say some final words to you - because, one way or another, the man I have been will not exist after today.

I have been shown many things, Theo, but I want to tell you about just three of them, for time is short.

First, I go now to confront Yara and the demon within her. Charis tells me that the demon convinced Yara to give it full control, that it used that control to commit various atrocities. Matters have passed the point where I am prepared to wait patiently for her to choose to be free.

The demon is closely linked to her, so that I cannot expel it without killing her - but Charis tells me that, if it senses Yara is on the brink of death, it will flee her body into the closest available host - for otherwise it dies with her.

I believe I can overcome the demon if it tries to possess me - but, if that fails, I will not let it escape me, or control me.

Know that I believe in Yara - that she can, and will, turn from this dark path. I am willing to die for that belief. I ask you to give her that chance.

Which brings me to the second matter: why I write to you. You are our Lady's Champion, of whom the Lost Prophecies of Aenar spoke - but, more than any prophecy, I have seen who you are. Your character, your courage and integrity, are what this Temple so desperately needs. You are the one I hope will take up my yoke, now that I can no longer bear it. I would offer advice, but you do not need it: be who you are, seek the will of Charis, and you will succeed.

As to the third matter - the last - Charis has let me glimpse what lies ahead in the next few days. I don't wholly understand what She has shown me, but I know that the Daughter is going to rise again. You must save Her. And you're going to need help.

No more time - Yara is outside. Goddess be with you, Theo.

May She bless you and watch over you always.

Michel

Show
    The blast of light strikes home over Lydia's shoulder, hitting the death knight's faceplate. Although a corona of crimson light shows that this foe is warded against magic, your Charis-given power is strong enough to cut through those defences, drawing a cry of surprise and pain from a being who thought himself immortal.

The undead warrior is not down - not yet - but he is clearly injured enough to give him pause.

Yet it is only a moment's pause, as Nagor strikes at Lydia twice with his two-handed sword; yet perhaps your attack has spoilt his vision, for both are evaded easily enough by the spell-slinging warrior.

The Lifewardens rush up the stairs after their fallen leader, raising their holy symbols and seeking to drive the vampires back. Sadly, their faith proves wanting; one vampires turns its foul attentions to Eldan, drawing heat and life from his body with a caress, while the other two attack the Lifewardens with open-handed ferocity.

Althazar focuses on the enemy mages, snapping off a spell and raising his hands. A sphere of intense, crackling lightning five feet in diameter flashes into being in front of him, then leaps forward to swallow up one of the mages with a sizzling sound.

Lothrain grimaces at you. "Relate knows I'm a warrior, not a healer," he mutters. Placing a hand on your shoulder, he prays, "Mighty Sword of the Righteous, heal this bravery soldier, that he might fight on for your cause!"

Spoiler: Cure Critical Wounds
    Show
    35 hp healed

He smiles wolfishly, then turns to menace one of the mages.

The mage in question steps back, looking alarmed, and hisses a spell that sends a ray of dark energy at Lothrain. The ray strikes him full in the chest, and some of the indomitable strength visibly seeps out of him.

The other mage looks at Althazar, lashing out with a spell of his own - but whatever it is, it fizzles into failure.

25. - Top - End - #145

Yara pockets both messages and turns to face the guard. She mentally reaches out to improve the guards disposition.
    "I've been freed from the demon, I tried to stop what happened here."
    Show

Telempathic Projection: DC14 will
    7 minutes duration, improves attitude by one step, +4 to diplomacy, bluff, etc.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Relath may have made you a warrior, but you're a hell of a healer as well! Theo says in gratitude to Lothrain. He looks at the death knight Nagor as if he was a prize buck that has been shot, awaiting to be finished off. Seeing that Lydia has managed to keep him at bay, Theo rushes in to bring his might hammer down on the helm of their foe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Battle Leader's Charge, +10 to damage and prevents any AoOs from taking place due to the charge. He has a bunch of armor and I havent been rolling well, so I am going to not PA this time.

(1d20+21)[27] for (1d8+20)[21] plus (1d6)[1] sacred damage.

For my maneuver this turn: (1d4)[2] (1 Foehammer, 2 Mountain Hammer, 3 Revitalizing Strike, 4 Divine Surge)
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Nagor lifts his head as you strike, trying to interpose the reinforced steel at his brow between his skull and your hammer.

It is not enough.

Flaring with eager flames, the hammer given to you by Thuril Drakeslayer cracks through the helm and fractures the skull beneath. With a plume of white fire, Nagor's head abruptly vanishes from sight.

The sword - your true enemy - falls from the abruptly limp fingers of your foe, who folds like a broken marionette, armour ringing as he crashes down.

The enemy mages give up a dismayed wail. One lifts a hand, and a jewel at the pommel of the fell sword glimmers with golden light; the blade soars through the air and into the mage's grasp.

Althazar seems to guess what comes next. His ball of lightning lurches in response to a curt gesture, aimed for the sword-bearer.

By a heartbeat, it is too slow. The mage vanishes in a cloud of sulphur and smoke, taking Nagor's cursed sword with him.

Completing its motion, the lightning swallows up the last mage, too slow to utter his own spell.

With his other hand, Althazar calls up a second spell, a blast of force that throws the vampire looming over Eldan clear out of sight.

Lothrain reacts to the disappearance of his enemy with trained precision, turning his attention immediately to the vampires pressing his Lifewarden allies. "Relath! Be with Your Arbiter this day!"

Your senses ring with a surge of divine energy, which manifests itself in a torrent of white fire engulfing Lothrain's sword. It is not unlike the energies of your own hammer; and as the Arbiter leaps into battle, a joyous grin on his face as always, you sense he will use it to similar effect.

Seizing the distraction of Lothrain's arrival, the two Lifewardens still up and fighting strike out at their foes, both landing telling blows; but the vampires seem no longer interested in Berun's priests, turning their attacks on Lothrain. For now, he seems more than equal to the task of holding them off.

Lydia, finally reacting to the death knight's destruction, flashes you a conspiratorial smile and turns to the ghouls behind you. Weaving a spell, she sends a pair of searing rays across the intervening distance, one striking each ghoul. One falls immediately; the other is swiftly overwhelmed by the crusaders, now joined by their companions from the rear entrance.

"Guessing it's a bad thing he got away with the sword?" Lydia shouts over the din of battle.

Show
    The soldier's bearing softens slightly at your words, and as you mentally curb his fears.

"Well, perhaps you are a victim here too," he says dubiously. "Still, I can't just let you go. There are questions to be answered. But... maybe I need someone who knows what to ask."

His eyes flicker to Michel's body, and he seems to make up his mind.

"I need to take the Father back to his temple. You will come with me, and let the priests there examine you. If they say you're innocent, that's good enough for me. If they don't, or you try to run, I take you in."

Now you know the demon must be gone: if it were still there, you know it would be mocking this feeble guard, trying to face down a being he cannot hope to overcome, if not outright urging you to murder him.

28. - Top - End - #148

"Yes, we must take him back. He saved me from the demon, I at least owe him this." Yara says. "But we can't just drag him. Do you have a cart?"
    She waits to see if he will leave her alone in the room before she acts.
    Show

If she is left alone she uses some of Michel's blood to censor the letter to Theo. She covers up the part about giving the demon control, specifically the words 'convince' and 'to give it' to disguise what had happened. She splatters some more blood on the page but doesn't aim to cover anything else up. After that she investigates the sword that was pulled out of her quickly before moving on to arrange the body to be more presentable. Kneeling before it she recites the Feronaxian prayer for the dead and should be doing so until the guard returns. When he is back she will help with the body.
    Last edited by Timble; 2017-05-25 at 06:30 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Terrible, actually. The sword is what keeps his soul bound to existence. So long as it remains, Nagor can return, and next time he will be better prepared for us.

Seeing that the ghouls were outnumbered and soon to be defeated, Theo went to fight at the Arbiter's side next to the Lifewardens. He goes after the one farther from Lothrain, so that the focus of the vampires would be split amongst the group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mountain Hammer for +2d6 and overcoming DR. Power attack for 5

Attack: (1d20+14)[31]
    Damage: (1d8+20)[27] plus (2d6)[8] and (1d6)[3] sacred damage.

Law Devotion: 5/10 elapsed
    Animal: 4/10
    Protection: 3/10
    51 HP, 24 AC
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    You ease past one of the Lifewardens, and with your enchanted hammer, you swiftly mete out justice to the undead parasite before you. She falls, her spine shattered, and turns to mist - a mist that moves to an unremarkable vent in the floorboards, seeping through and down.

The other vampire, facing terrible odds, chooses to flee - as does the one Althazar had flung across the landing. Both transform themselves into mist, and leave through a window across from you.

The two Lifewardens turn their attention to the downed Eldan, who soon regains his feet, if rather shakily.

Lothrain looks around, and Althazar and Lydia soon join you.

"Is that all of them?" the Arbiter asks.

Althazar shrugs. "Might be more upstairs, but I don't think so. They would have thrown them all at us together, I think."

Lothrain nods. Turning to the Crusaders, he orders: "Search the building. Reconnaissance only - if you find anything, withdraw and notify me. No foolish risks."

They salute, then make their way upstairs, splitting off to search in pairs.

Turning to the grate, the Arbiter gives a pensive grunt.

"Got anything to get through stone, wizard?"

Althazar chuckles. "Oh, I should think I could manage that!"

Turning to you, he asks, "Ready, Sir Theo?"

The Crusaders start to return, one by one reporting that the building is empty. From start to finish, the whole search took half a minute.

Show
    Use those five rounds to heal, buff, or whatever you wish.