New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Further Adventures in New Ganthar (IC)

Theo takes it to heart that Ember has written a letter of support for him, knowing that she was further risking her career and standing in the church for supporting him. He then takes the letter from Michel and hands it to her, not knowing if she had read it while it was in her possession.

As you can see, it appears that Father Michel did nominate me. I feel that because of this, I can act as a nominee would without impugning my stance of not seeking the office for myself. I expect Niall will challenge that this is an official nomination, but I think it is clear what his intent was. We should consider this his final will. Nonetheless, Niall also knows that Michel had suffered from bouts of dementia, and will challenge it on those grounds as well.

And I appreciate your support, but did your demotion from Niall amount to removing your good standing? To that I cannot say, but that will also be an argument that the Lord Commander will lean on. To combat all of these challenges, can you arrange for letters of support from anyone who you would suspect would support my ascension? The plan is to overwhelm the Church Leadership with the amount of raw support that I can muster. All the while, I can not appear to be trying to be acting on my own ambition, so I need you to propose that Michel was the one who nominated me, and turn this letter over.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am kind of regretting now that I let it slide that I never handed Niall the letter from Michel. Oops! Oh well, I guess it makes this more of a challenge now.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Yara
    Show
    You take your leave of Asoryala, uncomfortable perhaps with this line of questioning, and decide to make your way into the Merchant District.

The miserable weather has not stopped a bustling crowd from forming in the streets, jostling one another in their haste to get to their destination and out of the rain. Covering your head, pulling your outer garment close around yourself, you pass through them in silent thought, a stranger in a foreign land - if much less foreign than it was even a week ago.

There are several places which you might seek out.

The Merchant District is full of vendors, as is the Trade District, but vendors with a supply of magic items seem rarer. The last time you went shopping, it was at Ambrorun's Arcane Emporium or some such pretentious name as that. Of course, you then had to run out to stop the assassination of Kharheim's delegates, which somewhat marred the experience.

Or you could seek out the black market, the smugglers and the fences of stolen goods, who make their home in the docks.

Another option would be to approach one of the Temples, or perhaps the Arcane Fellowship.

That's assuming you can get anywhere through these crowds...

Spoiler: Gunn/Perseus
    Show
    Garrote shudders visibly at the lack of discretion when you speak of killing Stazia, but he nods curtly.

"We approached you because you seem well placed to preserve the infrastructure of the organisation and ensure a smooth transition to our control. Killing Stazia is not the difficulty; doing it without starting another messy gang war is. So I trust to your judgment. When all is in readiness, let us know.

"In the meantime, I have been instructed to keep an eye on things here, and ensure you have no nasty surprises. So far, it has worked to our mutual advantage. I would suggest that arrangement continue. And having me on staff means that you do not have to devote your full time to the business, of course."

Spoiler: Theo
    Show
    Spoiler: Belated Knowledge (Religion)
    Show
    You know that there have been prophets in the service of Charis in the past. She, more than most deities, is associated with a knowledge of the future, and as such Her servants are sometimes blessed with that dubious gift.

Yet the Temple has a policy of not making the contents of any prophesies public knowledge, restricting them to the High Priest and Lord Commander of each region. That has not always been true, however, and it is believed that, when the Knights of the Eternal Vigil raided the Temple, they stole several works of prophecy.

As to the specifics of these prophecies, and the moniker "Daughter" in this context, you have no information.

Ember looks the letter over. "I read it briefly, but I hadn't thought of it like that," she says distractedly. Getting to the end, she smiles. "Ha! I like that. Good old Father Michel, getting the last word in after all.

"But I don't know how good I'd be at canvassing for votes - particularly not at hiding that we've talked about it. If you want me to, though, I'll try."

Thinking it over, she then adds, "Any chance of you speaking with Cren or Micah? They are wary of Niall, and respect the office of the Champion; they may listen to you. But they probably won't listen to me.
    Last edited by ilinares; 2017-06-13 at 11:57 AM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

You need not talk about how we have discussed this. Theo began. You read the letter through Yara before I had even seen it. You know of Michel's wish completely independently. Maybe there are a pair of priests you can talk with that are distrustful of Niall to begin with, or are particularly fond of me, so that they will have little reason to spread rumors.

As for Cren and Micah... I told Niall that I was not actively seeking the role, but would go forward if nominated. The only way I can think about it honestly...
    Theo paused for thought, stood up and walked over to the wall, staring at it blankly as if inspecting artwork. I think I could go talk with them about the events that had occurred last night, and in so doing inform them of what Michel had wished without insinuating that I will stand for his office. If you came around after to talk about my candidacy, the seed would already be planted to support me. I'll even mention how you have been very dutiful in assisting me with my duties as Champion. I am sure that you will be able to get letters in support from them that way.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Ember nods uncertainly.

"Very well, Sir Theo. I know a few priests like that. Leave it with me."

So saying, she takes the letter and leaves to start her election campaign on your behalf.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Fine." Gunn says with an almost dismissive wave of his hand. Another vestige of his old life he will need to shed before he is truly reborn; however, the Wyverns may serve him well. He had already envisioned an organized takeover of Stazia's holdings by someone else not named Thomas Gunn; that person could as easily be named Garotte as Lora or Larry. On that subject, Gunn turns to Lora. "Get Snakehands here at his earliest convenience. Perseus and I are going to track down Theo. Did he get Carbuncle Street set up as his fortress yet, or is he still at the Temple of Charis?" Once he finds out where the most likely place to find Theo is, he and Perseus head there, along the way, the two talk openly about what has transpired, and share opinions, with Gunn receiving Perseus's wisdom and valuing it, and Perseus finding the strange lawyer much less intrusive once he has his own body to operate, adding bricks of true friendship and understanding atop the foundation of telepathic compulsion.

Later, when everyone is at the office, Gunn will share his plan for Stazia's demise; a plan that may include Theo or Yara, if they are willing.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo leaves his room as well, in search of Cren and Micah to brief them on the important events that had happened in the past 24 hours.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Gunn/Perseus
    Show
    Lora hardly has to think who you mean: a strong memory is one of the many assets that make her invaluable as a receptionist and secretary.

"Latest reports are that he still spends the bulk of his time at the Temple. The Knights of the Soaring Eagle are converting the Carbuncle Street property to a base of operations, and are recruiting frenetically, but Mr Roost is an occasional visitor rather than an active part of that."

You soon find yourself making your way through the city, Perseus following Gunn placidly, seeming to take suggestions of intrigue and assassination without comment. Just how strong Gunn's influence is over him, and how far it will affect his behaviour and worldview, remains to be seen.

The Temple District is unchanged - though why it should be, you do not know. Still the same array of piety and hypocrisy; the same melting pot of fractious and irreconcilable faiths, waiting to spill over into real conflict.

As for the Temple of Charis, it seems a somber mood is affecting the priests you see. The boy at the gate - Pel, you seem to recall - looks like he recognises Gunn from your previous encounter, when you swept Alan out from their custody. He greets you warily, his unease only increasing as he takes in the hugely muscular dwarf warrior.

"Welcome to the Temple of Charis. How can we be of service?"

Show
    You find Brother Micah fastening his clerical vestments, a pair of black bands showing that he prepares to carry out the last rites for one of the many fallen from last night.

"Hail, Champion," he says with half-hearted enthusiasm. "Forgive me, I am rushed off my feet today - but I can spare a minute or two for you."

8. - Top - End - #218

"Ho, Pel. I'm looking for Sir Theo. Can you tell him Thomas Gunn is here to see him? I don't mind waiting out here, though obviously we'd prefer to meet someplace private."
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo held his hand up, as if to dispel whatever honorary titles were owed to him as Champion. You needn't call me by any title, I was born named Theo, I will die named Theo, Charis will call me Theo when she brings me to my final duty by her side. I am glad that you can spare a couple minutes. Theo said kindly, an easy smile resting on his face as he made himself comfortable. I dont know if anyone had told you what went on last night with Father Michel, outside of whatever gossip might have spread, and I wanted to make sure you were kept informed. I dont want you to feel out of the loop just because your role isnt that of a soldier.

Theo gave him a brief recount of the fight against Calartes and the Vampire den. And as the battle was soon to end, Yara reappeared to us, free of her demonic parasite. She told me that Father Michel sacrificed himself to help save her soul. I wanted to tell you that, because while Yara is to be judged by Charis, not by us, and to hold it against Yara lessens Father Michel's voluntary sacrifice. I cannot help but think some will be bitter towards her for losing Michel.

Theo went to lean against the wall in Micah's office, looking to the ground as if in contemplation. He wrote me a letter, you know, explaining why he gave himself, and encouraging me in the fight forward. He even said he thought I'd be a fitting replacement for him, can you believe it? Theo gave out a laugh, letting Micah think that one over for a moment. Well, here is to him. Theo said, holding up his hand as if holding a glass. I wish we still had him, we need a man of his inspirational leadership right now. But I guess that will be resolved later today. He mentioned some cryptic prophesy in his letter... You wouldnt happen to know anything about an entity named "The Daughter" would you?

Spoiler
    Show
    making a diplomacy roll in case that helps anything. [roll]1d20+10]/roll]
    Last edited by gallagher; 2017-06-15 at 03:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yara decides to keep to the more honest parts of town for now, not wanting to be disturbed by thieves. In the merchants district she tries to find buyers for the armour and weapons taken from the Malturites. She sells off the miscellaneous stuff from the vampires lair and picks up a chain to which she attaches the Lens and wears it on her neck, slipping the Lens beneath her clothing and out of easy sight. She tries to find a buyer for the Dorjes hoping that it's rarity in this part of the world would make up for it's uselessness. With that out of the way, she then goes to find a jeweller to appraise the diamond, all the time wondering what to preach once she was done.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Stopping here in case the diamond is special
    Spent the last few days getting ready to move/moving, I'm finally back home for the next few weeks.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Brother Micah looks thoughtfully at you.

"Imagine that," he murmurs. "Michel always was a good judge of character, in the main. He saw who people were, and who they could be at their best, and treated them accordingly. He lifted people up to the level of his ideal of them. It didn't always work, but he never gave up."

He falls silent, thinking over what you have said. Glancing once at the water-clock trickling quietly on the wall, he sighs.

"I don't agree with Niall calling for nominations so quickly. We should be giving people time to come to terms with their loss, allowing space for mourning and for careful, prayerful reflection on who Charis is calling to take up this office.

"But what's done is done. With an hour left to get nominations in, I should be considering whom to support. Even if my schedule allows little time for it.

"Brother Theo, there is time for me to ask you one question, I think. I believe the greatest division facing our religion today is between those who look for a return to Charis as She once was - to the days of the Shield of the Righteous - and those who believe we must abide by Her choice to set aside Her inherent goodness. To those who believe the latter, it is only right that we should be impartial between the powers of good and evil, focusing only on our shared opposition to the many hosts of chaos.

"I do not ask which you believe - that is between you and Charis. But how, if you were High Priest, would you address that division?"

As you contemplate your answer, there is a knock on the door. Opening it slightly, a young acolyte you do not recognise pokes her head in.

"Sorry to disturb you, Brothers. There is a Thomas Gunn and companion to see Theo. He is waiting in the guest's meditation room when you are ready for him."

She leaves, and Micah smiles slightly.

"It seems that you, too, have demands on your time - and I see my service is due to start. Well, think on my question, Theo. We will speak of it again, before this business is done."

So saying, he hurries off, his face settling into the sober expression of one conducting a funeral.

Spoiler: Gunn & Perseus
    Show
    Pel nods enthusiastically, a marked contrast with his earlier wariness.

"Oh, yes, of course! Any friend of Theo's - I mean, Brother... Sergeant... Sir Theo - is welcome here. Come sit through here while you wait."

Tripping over his own feet, Pel stumbles to guide you to a side room. Inside, two long benches line the walls of a softly decorated chamber, a single painting on the far wall depicting an angel with sheathed sword upon a green hill, beneath a clear blue sky. The angel's arms are open, welcoming. Several thick rugs have been placed on the floor at regular intervals, seemingly for the comfort of those kneeling on prayer.

Pel leaves you alone, shutting the door behind him, and you hear him speaking with someone to send word for your friend.

Show
    You make good use of your time, finding buyers for everything. Some pay a little less than you hoped; others, slightly more. On the whole, it evens out.

The jeweller, satisfied after inspecting the diamond that it has no magical properties -
    benign or otherwise - cheerfully offers you 1,500gp for it.

At Ambrorun's, you produce the dorje, which he examines with a hiss of indrawn breath.

"Ah, my beautiful flower, what is this that you offer me? Magical, yes, but not the kind of magic I can use - nor any here, I'd wager. What am I to say to my children, to my poor starving children, hmm? That I bought some baubles for a prince's ransom, and now they must go hungry?

"No, if you wish to sell them, I can give you a price - but it must take account of the risk that I take, for to whom shall I sell them? At best, I might find a trader going to distant lands, where such things are marketable.

"I will pay you 900 gold for it. There, I am practically cutting my little daughter's throat, my petal, but I like you, I will be kind. Maybe some ignorant noble will take a fancy to hanging it from his chandelier, hmm? It is a pretty enough crystal, in its own way."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo thinks hard and is about to respond before they are interrupted by one of the acolytes, which requested Theo's presence with Gunn. He is back so soon? Theo pondered. Go in peace, Brother Micah. Theo says and, clasping his hands together, bows gracefully. Well, it is my hope that that is one person who I can count on.

Theo walks over to the acolyte. Will you take me to him? He asks, addressing the young woman directly. He keeps to the side of the acolyte instead of having her lead, allowing her to feel that Theo holds her in equal esteem instead of a servant. On the way, he strikes up pleasant small talk with her. I apologize, but we are not yet familiar. As you know, I am Theo. What may I call you?
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223

Yara considered the man's offer. 900 was less than she wanted but it was money that she could use. Though after selling the others, she wasn't sure whether she would need it.
    "Thank you, sir. I will consider your offer but I can't spend too much longer here. If I decide to sell I will come back later."
    She turns to leave the shop. The man was probably honest in what he was saying, there wasn't much call for psionics here. However if he thought there might be a market he may be more insistent in her staying or coming back.
    Once she had left, she finds a spot bustling with people to begin her next sermon.
    Show

Getting really late, so I'll post again tomorrow

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    From the girl's expression you can see she is pleased, and slightly surprised, to see you treat her as a peer, an equal. Does that say something about the attitude of most priests to acolytes? Or is she specifically expecting the Champion of Charis to take an aloof stance? Questions you cannot answer.

"I'm Fai," the girl answers you. "Guess my mum didn't realise what the Fey are, when she were thinking up names.

Emboldened by your familiarity, she sucks in a quick breath for courage and asks:

"Brother Theo... Do you know what's happened to Father Michel?"

She listens to your answer, and by the time you've finished, you find yourself at the door of the prayer room where Gunn waits.

Spoiler: Theo, Gunn & Perseus
    Show
    The door opens, and Theo is ushered into the small, tranquil room where his guest waits. The acolyte who showed him in gives him a quick, bashful smile and leaves, shutting the door behind her.

Thomas Gunn, by all appearances, is unchanged; there is something about his eyes, however, which hints at dramatic change within. There is a hint of compassion, a touch less calculation; he seems to have witnessed much in a short time, and come away changed by his experiences.

His choice in travelling companion is certainly a surprise, a dwarf warrior built like a fortress, who looks like he could cheerfully take on a dozen foes single-handedly.

As for Theo, he too seems physically no different from the last time Gunn saw him; but perhaps he is a little more confident in his surroundings, a shade more at home in this Temple than before. To Gunn, judging his mind and body together, there are hints of loss, of battles hard fought and won, and of a simmering anger, long denied and recently stoked, tightly controlled beneath a layer of duty, discipline, and righteousness.

Show
    Ambrorun does call after you, to your mild satisfaction:

"All right, all right! Maybe I was too hasty. Perhaps twelve hundred would be a fairer price. But don't think I'll go higher than that, my thorny rose! No, let's not think that at all."

After consulting your negotiations, you soon find a bustling crossroads, with many people rushing too and throw, and no guards in sight to question a street preacher. Time, at last, to bring the glory of Feronax to these benighted heathens.

15. - Top - End - #225

Gunn smiles broadly, and extends a hand to Theo in warm greeting. "Well met, Theo. What is the proper honorific now?"

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

It's my pleasure, Fai. I think that is a perfectly fine name.

I haven't seen you around here, but I am rather new to New Ganthar. I am afraid that I do know what happened to Father Michel.
    He says in a conciliatory tone. I don't know what stories are going around, but he has gone on to join Charis's side. And at such a terrible time. They continue walking down the hallway on the way to Gunn.

They enter the guest study to see Gunn and a strange dwarf. Gunn looked much the same, on the outside. The eyes that looked back at him felt... aged, like an old man with a whole lifetime of experience behind him. Had the mission gone so wrong?

Gunn, I didnt expect you back so swiftly. Nor did I expect that you'd bring company. Greetings, Master Dwarf. I don't recognize you as one of those who I had met a few days ago. I hope you have found your stay here comfortable so far.

Turning back to Gunn, he continues. I am still Theo, no titles. Can I assume by the fact that you're back that your mission was successful? Is Rosalind at her clinic?
    Last edited by gallagher; 2017-06-16 at 05:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227

"No, far from it. Sister Rosalind is still in Kharheim; she had not yet made her plea before we left. This is Perseus, of Clan Ironshield." Gunn introduces his companion, "Perseus, this is Theo."

"Well met, Theo." Perseus says, then looks to Gunn for him to continue speaking. Gunn takes the baton seamlessly.

"The Runewardens are the magic authority of the dwarves," Gunn explains, "Their intelligence indicates that the Cult of Maltur, as well as two other organizations, are orchestrating events to perform a ritual here, in New Ganthar. Perseus volunteered to come to New Ganthar, and I am here to guide him, I suppose. In truth, I had died, but some part of me still lingered here, and that part, which occupied Perseus for a time, was separated from Perseus at the time he was magically brought to New Ganthar. That is the part of me which stands before you. I still do not know the circumstances of this experience--the dwarves, for all their wisdom, could not adequately explain it to me. Perhaps that is something we might study, later. In nine days, the antagonistic conspiracy I have spoken of intends to open a portal between our world and the plane inhabited by demons. For obvious reasons, this can not come to pass."

Gunn reaches into his satchel, and removes the items he had taken from Yara. "There's plenty of blame to go around for what happened in the past," he says, placing a Headband of Intellect +2, Cloak of Resistance +1, Ring of Protection +1, Pearl of Power (1st level), Potion of Cure Light Wounds, Potion of Sanctuary, and Greater Psionic Restraints, as well as a "fairly full" spellbook that had belonged to Calartes, on a nearby surface--a pew, if there is no table or altar. "Perhaps if I'd been more honest, things would have gone differently. These belong to Yara; except the restraints, which I encourage you to keep, should her demon take control of her and need to be restrained."

"The truth is, the whole operation that brought you to occupy that fortress, that cost so many lives--it was for selfish motives, for greed. And for the worst kind, for power over of the lives of those too weak to control their own destinies. I have not been entirely honest with you, Theo," Gunn says, glancing at Perseus as he shows his metaphorical hand. "I have been in the service of a powerful criminal in this city, and it was on her behalf I arranged for a rival gang to be uprooted. After what I have been through, however, I can no longer rationalize my continued service to her. Regardless of what she has done for me, she is evil; not demonic, nor undead, but the most treacherous kind of evil: mortal. Already forces are at work to end her control, but those forces will in turn seek to occupy her place. They will be at their weakest the moment after they have achieved their aim. More than that, I am bound by... well, I suppose it would be honor, as strange as it sounds to hear that from my own tongue." Gunn looks again at Perseus, his well-trained face expressionless despite the bewilderment behind it. "I am bound by honor, whatever honor exists among thieves, not to name names. Beyond that, I intend to offer as much support as I can.
    The criminal element will seek to capitalize on whatever state of emergency precedes the Conspiracy's Ritual. If Sister Rosalind fails in her mission, they will seek to capitalize on the war that Kharheim will bring. If this happens, the innocent people of New Ganthar will suffer, more so than otherwise. This, too can not be allowed.
    "

He looks earnestly at Theo. "With your help, and the help of your organization, I would seek to eliminate the criminal element in New Ganthar wholesale. Leave no stone unturned until all who would profit from suffering are kept from the power to do so... by any means necessary. Will you help me?"
    Last edited by esorscher; 2017-06-16 at 06:30 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

That's... certainly a lot that you have been through. Theo said bluntly. That's... he started to repeat and thought better of it. Whatever sins you are regretting are in your past. Charis sets her gaze upon a man's honor when he stands for her final judgment. We saw to it that a young man in the Black Wyverns be given a chance to repent for his crimes, I do not see why I cannot put my concerns with your past behind me as well. We have work to do, little time to do it, to save the people of this city. If what you say is true, then now we know what their end-goal is. Or at least I know; Niall has his own information sources that he does not much care to share.

Speaking on the church leadership, though, there are some things going on internally that will have to make me wait to see what can be committed directly to uprooting the criminal element in fewer than nine days time. But I can tell you that we have a group of ourselves and other temples, deputized by the prince and his counselors to deal with the Malturite threat. Because of the nature of your information, I suggest that we be there when you get debriefed on your mission at the palace.

Theo moved to sit down and poured himself a glass of water, and offered to pour another for Perseus and Gunn. Yara can be found elsewhere, you will be happy to hear that her demon has been removed from her person. She was here this morning, at least, but I have not seen her since. You will be happy to hear that the vampiric enemy has been dealt a serious blow, I cannot say if they have been uprooted entirely, but Calartes is gone for good as well as a great number of his friends.

Theo sits back and takes a long drink from his glass, giving himself a natural pause to think before continuing. So, Theo begins, what is your next move? What do you think you can do to help destroy these criminal empires that are warring inside the city?
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229

Gunn nods earnestly, as he sweeps Yara's items back into his bag, minus the psionic restraints, appreciative of Theo's mercy. He raises an eyebrow at the mention of the vampires. "Could you go into greater detail? The vampires operating out of the Seven Sinful Stars were one of the criminal elements in New Ganthar. They were weakened in our assault on the Carbuncle Street Fortress, and now you have dealt them another blow. We may be able to topple them easily, first." On the subject of Yara, he asks, "Where has she been sleeping? Is she expected to return here?"
    Last edited by esorscher; 2017-06-26 at 09:28 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Yara was here when I last saw her, on her way to talk with our resident arcane researcher. If she isnt here, I expect she would be off looking for some way to read up on some of the objects she claimed when we toppled the Seven Sinful Stars. As for the fight itself, Theo continued. You could say it was in defiance of half of our plan.

Theo began to explain what he meant by that. We tracked Calartes with some of our allied temples to his old school, where Yara was overcome by her demon and vanished into thin air. I destroyed Calartes, and several of his undead allies were defeated there as well. We chased their misted forms back to their whorehouse base, defeated a dragon from the shadow realm, and staked the bastards in their coffins.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231

Gunn nods, understanding. "If that was the motivation she needed to make a change, I am glad she found it." If she can be redeemed, so can I, he does not add, but thinks silently to himself. Perhaps, if the telepathic bond they share functions in ways Gunn does not expect, Perseus hears those thoughts as well, as his mind and person is now included in Gunn's conception of "himself," or at least, some memory of their inclusion remains. If so, Perseus does not betray any hint of having heard these thoughts, but catalogs it away for future consideration, when his duty to save the world is fulfilled. Whoever this Thomas Gunn is, he seems to be earnestly working toward the same goal as Perseus, which helps Perseus to like and trust him. His honesty and remorse are two more points in his favor, were now the time for such determinations. As it is, duty demands he work efficiently toward his goals, and the help of this smooth operator is welcome at this juncture. However noble the cause, Gunn's goals of ridding New Ganthar of its criminal element are not shared by Perseus.

"It sounds like they pulled out all the stops in defending their headquarters. Did you see any sign of the leader of the coven fleeing, or can you otherwise confirm that you staked the leader of the coven?" He pauses, not sure how to identify the subject of his next question. "The undead that inhabited Ronnie's body: did you stake it as well, and if so, are there any remains with which Ronnie might be resurrected?" he asks, inquiring about the employee he sent to his untimely demise and subsequent affliction with vampirism. "Either way, it seems unlikely they will be in a position to threaten our plans, for the time being."

Now, then, what should those plans be? Gunn thinks to himself, then begins thinking out loud. "With the vampires dealt with, that leaves two organizations: the Widow's, and the Mandrakes. Already the Mandrakes are positioning themselves to take out the Widow, and seize control of her assets. I can make them believe the takeover will be smooth, when in reality it will be anything but. In the ensuing chaos, we take out the Mandrakes leadership. Without heads, there will be a vacuum. Before new powers rise to take their place, we need to address the systemic causes of crime: poverty, and lack of educational and economic opportunity that keeps people trapped in generational poverty. Take it from someone who grew up on these streets: the poor are not poor by choice." He taps a finger on his chin, considering. "The Guard would no doubt want to arrest and prosecute the low-level criminals, but among them there may be some worth redeeming, who could be useful in our coming fight against the aforementioned Conspiracy," Gunn says, using the same placeholder term until they learn which organizations are in league together. "Could your Knights outfit, train, and employ them toward that end? How many of Jaurthen's men were you able to convert to your cause? There are another hundred business ideas I can think of, but they all require capital--unless you know of any wealthy benefactors, I imagine I'll need to talk with someone else to make those plans a reality."

He pauses. "None of this is set in stone--I'm processing information as fast as I can acquire it, but there's always the possibility I might learn something today, or tomorrow, that might change what needs to happen if we're to be successful." He smirks, considering the nigh-infinitesimal likelihood of actually and permanently eliminating crime in this city, especially while also addressing the impending catastrophe. Perhaps the best he could hope for was to walk away when it was all done, with the Mandrakes in charge. But why would they be any more willing to let him off their leash than Stazia had? No, he thinks, they must all be eliminated.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2017-06-17 at 06:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232

"Fine, perhaps you can find some use for it," Yara says, not wanting to waste time bartering. She finishes the transaction before finding a spot to preach.

Before she starts, she reaches out her mind to sense the thoughts of those around her, changing her tone and words to match the mood of the crowd.

She decides to stay from the sermon she had used through her travels, but to start it out the same way.
    "The most powerful thing a man can have is knowledge and the god Feronax knows all."

"The god Feronax doesn't ask much of most of his followers, only that they stick to the cause of knowledge and learning. The champions of Feronax are often chosen in times of ignorance and barbarism to lead civilisation back to a state in which it can learn."
    "There are many rewards for those who preserve the path of knowledge. The ultimate reward is the Grand Library, accessible to the loyal dead. Filled with tomes that grant great power to those who read them, even the secrets of life and death."
    She ponders whether to speak about St Hean, who was the third and final to find the book on life and death. He returned in time to save the Isle from invaders with unbelievable power, but afterwards felt that life felt empty and returned to the grave. But that would be a better story for followers rather than potential converts.
    She pauses here, checking the minds of those around her to see how they are reacting.
    Show

Manifested empathy:
    Sense basic needs, drives, emotions. Stuff like hunger, fear, rage, hatred, uncertainty, curiosity, friendliness and similar things. Also + 2 to diplomacy, bluff, sense motive and diplomacy on the turn concentration ends.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

For the vampiric host, I do not know who their leader is specifically, so I do not know if we finished them off for good, and I am sorry but I do not know who Ronnie is and cannot help you there either. But Calartes was encased in a box of force and left to meet the sunrise by the Vanguard. As for Jaurthen's men, we were only able to gain the faith of one who took up the sword against our common enemy, the vampires. But I had arranged for him to train alongside the Knights, and pay for his years of unlawful behavior with service to the public. He seemed genuine in his desire to turn over a new leaf, so to speak. I cannot speak for Lieutenant Ilyen and the resources at her disposal, but anyone that we have the ability to train at arms and the desire to be Knights, I will see to it that they get that opportunity.

Gunn's sudden interest in the well being of the poor was certainly touching, and it melded well with Theo's desire to end the scourge of gang warfare in the streets. All the better, Gunn likely knew every bad actor in the state. That he was coming up with plans that would help Theo's goals was refreshing; after butting heads with Niall for so long it was good to find another ally who was willing to work with him.

I do not know about wealthy benefactors, but I do know someone that may be open to your plans of improving the lives of our poor. Are you familiar with Lady Zinetra? She was a candidate to be an intermittent Chancellor. Later today I will be arranging to have my team meet with Chancellor Rithelm at the palace; I am sure that I could have Chancellor Clauth summon Zinetra at the same time to discuss your intended plans.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234

Gunn nods as Theo is unable to say with certainty whether any of the vampires he is interested in has died. Even Calartes--it is possible that, somehow, he escaped the sunrise. Until he has confirmation otherwise, he continues to consider those threats as ongoing.

"Yes, I would like to accompany you to the palace. I should go in disguise, however, and not make my identity widely known." Touching the buckle on his belt, his attire shifts to a hooded acolyte's robe of Theo's own faith. "I hope this is not presumptuous," Gunn says apologetically, "But I figure the ruse is easier to pull off, this way." He draws the hood up over his head, hiding his face. "How long do we have until the meeting?
    And who are the Chancellors you named? What is the state of governance in New Ganthar at present?
    "

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a Temple affair to attend at noon, and have not set up any other meetings as of yet. Since you are already in disguise, would you mind going to the palace in my place to set up the appropriate meetings?

At present, there are still two co-chancellors, Lord Rithelm and Ambassador Clauth. If you can arrange for Lord Rithelm to summon the leaders of my team, including Niall, at sundown, I am sure you could wrest the same amount of time from Clauth to discuss... domestic affairs.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236

"Understood. While Lord Rithelm meets with your team, I will meet with Ambassador Clauth. Please arrange for the Lady Zinetra to be summoned as well--or, better yet: write out these instructions, and I will act as your courier to deliver them." Gunn suggests, proposing a simple solution to the matter rather than one that would require him to potentially betray his identity.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo nodded in assent, took a piece of parchment from his pack and wrote down Gunn's suggested message, putting it in his own words.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Scratch the surface in a city like this, and you never know quite what you will find - but some themes are universal.

Many of those around you are on business, minds full of the daily stresses of their lives. A few simmer with resentment; others feel the weight of guilt, or a dull ennui.

In this more affluent part of the city, few experience the crippling hunger or debilitating physical pains of the poor quarter. Instead, their sicknesses are of the soul: stress, anxiety, depression.

There are pinpoints of sharper emotion. One is consumed by frustrated lust; another, gaping grief. One is almost serene, desires focused on holy matters; in these surroundings, the brightness of that mind is bittersweet, making the turgid emotions that swill around it all the more base.

And there is one mind that is absolutely focused on you, with clarity and chilling resolve, and an urge to end your life - tempered with surprise. Eyes scanning the crowd, looking for the face that matches the thoughts, you settle on a man in the doorway of a shop opposite, tall and slender, wearing unremarkable tan robes over something with hard planes suggestive of armour.

There is something about his face, about his eyes. It is hard to make out from here, but his eyes appear to be black orbs, and the ridges around them slightly scaled.

There is a large crowd between you and him, and some at least are listening to what you have to say. Four, in all, are focused on you, their emotions ranging from mild curiosity to genuine interest, with one plainly in a contentious frame of mind, looking for an argument.

So far, no one says anything to you.

29. - Top - End - #239

Once he has the notes for the chancellors, Gunn bids Theo farewell, promising to debrief the results of their meetings after they take place. Disguised as an average looking, nondescript male human, in the aforementioned robes, Gunn heads to the palace, Perseus in tow. "Wait outside the palace, if you don't mind." Gunn suggests as they walk. "Not sure how they'll respond to a dwarf among them."

30. - Top - End - #240

The prescence of someone who wanted to kill her caused her to pause a bit longer than she wished. Refocusing on her task, she commands the psicrystal to keep an eye on him and follow him if he leaves. Was he connected to the dragon or to Maltur? She would need to find out what he was after, but later.
    Show

Accidently lost the original, so this is what I can remember. Got lost when I posted, I had forgotten to make a copy.

"A follower of Feronax lives in service to his community no matter his station," Yara says, deciding that she shouldn't say that the communities role was to serve Feronax. "Ignorance, poverty and anything that harms human progress is to be opposed in all it's forms. Any one whose work aids society is to be respected."
    "Feronax is one of the youngest gods, he formed himself shortly after the creation of the world. He is the god of magic and knowledge who we honour with treasure and magical artifacts. But our greatest sign of faith comes from the Great Libraries, collections of knowledge within each city dedicated to Feronax. Each library is only a pale imitation of the Grand Library which is the seat of his power."
    She looks at each person who was interested.
    "Do any of you want to know more on the Feronaxian faith?"