New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Please tell me we are not going to have to deal with getting the sword back again

As title states
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Please tell me we are not going to have to deal with getting the sword back again

We are not going to have to deal with getting the sword back again.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Please tell me we are not going to have to deal with getting the sword back again

It is bizarre to me that one plotline that ended over seven hundred and fifty strips ago is apparently being remembered by a number of people as multiple recent plotlines.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    It is bizarre to me that one plotline that ended over seven hundred and fifty strips ago is apparently being remembered by a number of people as multiple recent plotlines.
    Yeah, even Elan noticed that only happened once.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

We are going to have to deal with getting the sword back again.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe they are getting it confused with the two (three?) times Elan has broken his rapier?

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-03-09 at 04:34 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

We are possibly going to have to deal with getting the sword back again.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

We are probably going to have to deal with getting the sword back again.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

V has sufficient divination magic to quickly retrieve the sword; it could be performed off-panel (unless a giant picks it up)
    I don't read the forum anymore
    It's not like I could have possibly picked a number that would please everyone anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I think people tend to forget that Banjo giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other. He might well have voted with Hel to get puppets a better deal in World 3.0.

10. - Top - End - #10

I really wish the thread had ended with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Done. Problem solved.
    Last edited by Tyrannosaurus; 2017-03-09 at 05:19 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

It is within the realm of possibility that we may or may not have to spectate a series of events that will be focused on the retrieval of the Greenhilt sword once more.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, what other incentive would Roy have to learn 'summon ancestral weapon'?

13. - Top - End - #13

Here is what's really going to happen:

They'll leave the sword behind, denying Roy of his advantage against Durkon*.
    Roy will have to use his talky-man powers to save or defeat Durkon*
    They'll magically be teleported north to the portal.
    The Order of the Stick and the paladins there will start to fight against Xykon and Redcloak.
    Just in time, The Monster in the Darkness will use his reality-bending powers to summon Roy's sword, thus "using powers he never knew he had" in fulfillment of Rich's prophecy.
    Roy will use his magnetic personality to summon the sword from the Monster in the Darkness's hands (or tentacles or psi-pseudopods or teeth or fins or whatever).
    Roy will block Redcloak's attack that was about to hit them, knocking the magic spell back at Xykon.
    Redcloak will reveal his Final Form.

*little mental asterisk
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

My guess is that Belkar is going to find and grab it before he meets back up with the rest of the order.
    "Nod. Get treat." ~Greyview the Wise

"Should always expect head rub. Safer that way." ~Greyview the Wise

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if there's any chance of Roy finding a couple of Tome of Battle in the ship or the Dwarf Homeland and using that to not NEED the damn sword anymore instead?
    "I Burn!"

16. - Top - End - #16

Spoiler: Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales
    Show
    No. He told 4ed-Roy that the reason he isn't a warblade now is "Dad would never have paid for a PhD program"; it's not that he doesn't know the class exists. And on a Doylist level, the chances of Rich suddenly introducing "the protagonist is now not a fighter but something called a warblade that uses anime combat moves" when he's concerned about his comic being accessible to non-D&D players is nil.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm guessing we'll find out in short order exactly what Roy intends to do about this problem.

Peelee’s Lotsey

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales
    Show
    No. He told 4ed-Roy that the reason he isn't a warblade now is "Dad would never have paid for a PhD program"; it's not that he doesn't know the class exists. And on a Doylist level, the chances of Rich suddenly introducing "the protagonist is now not a fighter but something called a warblade that uses anime combat moves" when he's concerned about his comic being accessible to non-D&D players is nil.
    Spoiler: Counter point.
    Show
    That was running with the fighter college joke. At this stage in the game, retraining and/or Multyclassing wouldn't cost "Dad" anything.

As for D&D rules access, "ok, theres this other more powerful class then fighter called a Warblade. Think of it like a Delux fighter that get's to pick special attacks from a list."

That's it, that's like, 1-2 panels for that much. A page, 2 tops, and the audience is caught up on all his new stuff, at least as much as they know what V, Elan and Durkon can do with there classes and spells.

Hell, doing it would even make sense in character as he'd be sticking it to his dad. "There, I got the equivalent of a PHD program, on my own, and got better with purely extraordinary abilities. Wonder how your Scrying kept failing? IRON HEART SURGE!" Oh, and Anti-magic fielding Xykon to finish him was SOOOOOO worth it!
    "I Burn!"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist_Fire View Post
    V has sufficient divination magic to quickly retrieve the sword; it could be performed off-panel (unless a giant picks it up)
    This or H/V/B will find it just trying to catch up with where the airship went.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    Well, what other incentive would Roy have to learn 'summon ancestral weapon'?
    Why learn "Summon ancestral weapon" when he could learn "Summon bigger fish"?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Please tell me we are not going to have to deal with getting the sword back again

/thread

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist_Fire View Post
    Yea, I'm kinda expecting V to effortlessly reclaim it, either off-panel or with very few, or otherwise for the foot soldiers like Belkar to just stumble upon it. ;)
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

23. - Top - End - #23

AssassinGuy

We may have to deal with getting the sword back, but it may be done in such an offhand and effortless way that it will come as a pleasant surprise to you. Or not. Too soon to say.

V just might come zooming up with it and drop it into Roy's waiting hands two comics from now, just in time to spit the Giant like a doner kebab. That would be both dramatic and satisfying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oh you hilarious literal people.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeliren View Post
    It is within the realm of possibility that we may or may not have to spectate a series of events that will be focused on the retrieval of the Greenhilt sword once more.
    Clever, very clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    I wonder if there's any chance of Roy finding a couple of Tome of Battle in the ship or the Dwarf Homeland and using that to not NEED the damn sword anymore instead?
    Why would that make him not need the sword anymore? As far as I remember ToB classes still use weapons to do their things, other than unarmed swordsage (and I don't really feel like Roy would take that particular path).

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin_Priest View Post
    Yea, I'm kinda expecting V to effortlessly reclaim it, either off-panel or with very few, or otherwise for the foot soldiers like Belkar to just stumble upon it. ;)
    I think it will either be V, or Roy recalling it to his hands with his new Legacy abilities. I hope it is the latter, that will be more dramatic and exciting.
    Spoiler: Sigs about the Internet and Life
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Yeah... even if it's a fairly friendly place by the internet's standards... it's still the internet. A certain level of pedantic bickering is to be expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The forums can't universally agree that the sun will rise in the east. Disagreement is what we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacior
    If I can get a pet dinosaur, I totally will. My low wisdom means a raptor looks like a great guard dog.

Awesome Holy Knight Haluesen avatar done by the uber skilled Grinner!

25. - Top - End - #25

Flumph

It fell into a cwm. YwkYwk will retrieve it.
    Curated Thread: Gazetteer of the Stick

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

The sword is lost forever. From now on Roy will be taking levels in Monk.

27. - Top - End - #27

Warblades can switch their weapon-specific feats to other weapons.

Not that that would make, "Oh well, I lost my +5 undead-killing greatsword of legacy which my family was named after; easy come, easy go, I guess" a reaction Roy would ever, in a billion years, come close to having.

28. - Top - End - #28

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    From now on Roy will be taking levels in Monk.
    He does have the traditional shaved head.... there might be something to what you say here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

. . . is Elan still dangling off the bottom of the airship?

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    In a perfect position to catch, say, falling heirloom swords?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

We are n—
    Godsdammit!

Quote Originally Posted by Zulwarn View Post
    My guess is that Belkar is going to find and grab it before he meets back up with the rest of the order.
    bonk
    "Ow! What the hell hit—ooh, free sword."

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    . . . is Elan still dangling off the bottom of the airship?
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    In a perfect position to catch, say, falling heirloom swords?
    "Ow! What the heck hit—ooh, Roy's gonna definitely be my friend now!"

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Spoiler: Counter point.
    Show
    That was running with the fighter college joke. At this stage in the game, retraining and/or Multyclassing wouldn't cost "Dad" anything.
    As for D&D rules access, "ok, theres this other more powerful class then fighter called a Warblade. Think of it like a Delux fighter that get's to pick special attacks from a list."
    That's it, that's like, 1-2 panels for that much. A page, 2 tops, and the audience is caught up on all his new stuff, at least as much as they know what V, Elan and Durkon can do with there classes and spells.
    Hell, doing it would even make sense in character as he'd be sticking it to his dad. "There, I got the equivalent of a PHD program, on my own, and got better with purely extraordinary abilities. Wonder how your Scrying kept failing? IRON HEART SURGE!" Oh, and Anti-magic fielding Xykon to finish him was SOOOOOO worth it!
    Roy multiclassing hasn't been remotely foreshadowed, nor would multiclassing into a ToB class make sense.
    Look at the closest comparable example—Elan multiclassing into Dashing Swordsman. What did that give him that he didn't have before? An excuse to pun more often, I guess. It fit in perfectly with his character, and with the sorts of things he'd already been doing (e.g, poking things with rapiers and acting dramatic). On the other hand, what about warblade-ey-ness has Roy embodied? They both fight things better than normal people should be able to? Not to mention that Roy, who's derived some amount of pride from sticking to his own physical abilities like Grandpappy, would need some strong incentive to break away and learn some de facto magic...especially since it's a type of magic which would be entirely new to the comic's world.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.