Default Cleric in need of advice

Right now I'm a running a cleric with the following stats
    Str:12
    Dex:10
    Con:13
    Int:8
    Wis:17
    Cha:14
    He's a 5th level cleric and just hitting 6th, and I was thinking about taking levels of sorcerer and going for the mystic theurge prestige class. Is this a good idea or a really stupid one? If it's a bad one, can you suggest either a feat or a class that will help me make use of my high charisma score.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cleric in need of advice

People are probably going to come and tell you that no, this is not a good idea and the mystic theurge is not very powerful.

I'm going to agree with them, though for slightly different reasons. Until you're reasonably high-level, playing a mystic theurge-esque character is simply not much fun. At this level, it will be another 5 levels before you actually get into the prestige class. Until then, you'll be using two different types of spellcasting, neither of which will be very powerful.

As for feats, divine feats strike me as useful, to make use of your turning attempts. I've always liked Divine Spell Power (Complete Divine), and the Player's Handbook 2 has some good ones (Divine Armor, the one that improves saves, etc.)
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I would stick with Straight Cleric, definately better than multi into Sorcerer. Just look into divine feats that let you trade Turn attempts into bonuses.

Edit: ninja'd Yeah, what Snark said.
    Last edited by rollfrenzy; 2007-07-25 at 02:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    "Hands in, lets-all-be-heroes on three."

After a long break, I am back and forget who was nice enough to create the zombie ninja avatar for me. If you did it, or know who did, PM me so I can give proper credit.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Mystic thurge is a bad idea from a mechanical stand point (as I have recently discovered trying to play one). I would not recomend this at all if your only reason is using your high Cha. score. If it is for a roleplaying reason, it can be fun. I use it for some NPCs when I DM, because their realitive power level can lower and not be a big deal, or I can make them any level I want and it still not be a big deal.

Now, to use your high Cha. score, try checking out the Divine feats in Complete Warrior, especially if you are not using your turn undead that often.
    They have a range of abilities. Some of my favorites let you get your Cha to AC and your Cha to attack and damage.

Edit: Guess they beat me to it.
    Last edited by BardicDuelist; 2007-07-25 at 02:31 PM.
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Yeah... I'm pissed at the DM who kept throwing wave after wave of undead at us in the begginning, which is why I raised my charisma, and now he is making become an ally of the person who controls all of those undead, making my charisma useless. I think I'm going to take leadership first and then take divine metamagic at 9th....

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Mystic Theurge is a trap. You'll weaken yourself horribly by taking it.

Stay cleric.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

a good Cha is never useless, (alright maybe sometimes but not when you're interacting with NPCs) diplomacy, perform (oratory), intimadate and bluff make you a one cleric tornado once you hit town.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

The problem is that with your charisma of 14 you're limited to 4th level sorcerer spells.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

For Feats... Sanctify Martial Strike from BoED. It requires CHA 15, though, and you might not want to bump up your score any more.

Sacred Healing and Sacred Purification from Complete Divine are nice. Grants a healing burst for a time modified by charisma.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lukelightning View Post
    The problem is that with your charisma of 14 you're limited to 4th level sorcerer spells.
    that's so far away (at least ten levels before it becomes an obsticle) that by that stage you can just get hold of a cloak of Cha and it's all bunnies and daisies
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.