New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Do you consider a hamburger a sandwich?

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    French stick
    Is it a Southern thing to call these baguettes? Because my parents (from the North) call them French sticks, but I (born in the South) prefer baguette. Or is it more of a class thing - do posh Northerners use the French too?
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I'm inclined to agree with Keltest (I seem to be saying this a lot at the moment). A burger may technically be a sandwich and if asked to classify it in terms of food taxonomy I would probably group it among the sandwiches. But given that food taxonomy is not really a thing that exists, in a practical context I can't imagine a situation arising where this would come up. When sandwiches are mentioned I do not picture a burger.

To a lesser extent, the same would go for bagels and filled baguettes, although I think each of those would be closer to what I think of as a sandwich than burgers are. Paninis, filled rolls and ciabatta are borderline. Croissants I think are a bit of a stretch, as mentally I group them with pastries rather than breads.

I grew up calling toasties "toasted sandwiches" and so while I would not consider an unspecified sandwich to be toasted by default, I don't think toasting it causes it to lose its sandwich status.

As to why one might make the distinction? Well, if you expand the everyday definition of sandwich to include all of the above, what do you call a normal sandwich? (i.e. two slices of bread with filling between them). You have to come up with a new term and then you've really gone off the deep end.

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Wie gefällt Ihnen diese Freiheit?

Oh sorry, I figured I should speak to you in the language you would have been speaking if it weren't for us.
    Standard Yankee hyperbole . Not only is the premise questionable, but conquest doesn't always result in linguistic change, and in the mooted situation, almost certainly would not have.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2017-03-13 at 06:03 AM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Is it a Southern thing to call these baguettes? Because my parents (from the North) call them French sticks, but I (born in the South) prefer baguette. Or is it more of a class thing - do posh Northerners use the French too?
    I wouldn't know, not being either posh or a Southerner? (Well, technically I was born in Northampton, but it's north of Watford Gap Services so it's still Northern as far as you Southern types are concerned ).

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just to note, when the hamburger was first made, it was served between two slices of bread, from a loaf. The place that first made them still serves them this way, and I know some people make them with slices of bread. Not bad, but also not as good at absorbing juices from what's inside as a bun is.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Wie gefällt Ihnen diese Freiheit?

Oh sorry, I figured I should speak to you in the language you would have been speaking if it weren't for us.
    Huh. I must have missed the day in history where Hitler planned his invasion of Canada!

Besides, if not for you, the whole continent would still be flying under the Union Flag, and the war would've been over by teatime!
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Banned

Not really what I think of when I hear 'sandwich', but I suppose it is a kind of sandwich, consisting of a non-bread food between two pieces of bread.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    As to why one might make the distinction? Well, if you expand the everyday definition of sandwich to include all of the above, what do you call a normal sandwich? (i.e. two slices of bread with filling between them). You have to come up with a new term and then you've really gone off the deep end.
    If you're getting into technicalities, we sometimes call them "cold cut sandwiches." True, it starts falling apart when you have warm-hot fillings, but then people say "hot sandwiches". Which apparently excludes burgers for some reason. But people also consider Arby's food for some reason, so I think we've left the edge of the deep end far behind.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

8. - Top - End - #38

So, based on people's reactions and explanations, can we assume that "sandwich" is a term that has a different sort of connotation based on region? American English tends to lump a lot of different things under one umbrella, and it looks like "sandwich" is no exception. For what it's worth, "burger" can be used to describe any sort of filling between two vertical buns. Hot dogs seem to be an anomaly at first glance, but once you look into the regional variants, they sort of wind up being their own category.
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    So, based on people's reactions and explanations, can we assume that "sandwich" is a term that has a different sort of connotation based on region? American English tends to lump a lot of different things under one umbrella, and it looks like "sandwich" is no exception. For what it's worth, "burger" can be used to describe any sort of filling between two vertical buns. Hot dogs seem to be an anomaly at first glance, but once you look into the regional variants, they sort of wind up being their own category.
    Not any meat makes a burger. Off hamdedly I would say it has to be of the beef variety. A chicken "burger" doesnt sound right. A chicken sandwich does though.
    Last edited by Anderlith; 2017-03-13 at 12:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    Not any meat makes a burger. Off hamdedly I would say it has to be of the beef variety. A chicken "burger" doesnt sound right. A chicken sandwich does though.
    Off hamdedly, you say? Please tell me that was intentional.

If it was a typo, please don't fix it.
    Dioxazine purple.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    Turkey burgers are absolutely a thing. As are chicken burgers, for that matter, though making patties out of ground chicken is uncommon.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #42

A tomato is a fruit. A watermelon is a berry. A hamburger is a sandwich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

I do not consider Hamburgers to be sandwiches. It doesn't matter if one could roughly classify a hamburger as a sandwich, because I would never say I want a sandwich when I want a hamburger, same as I would never ask for soup when wanting dry cereal with milk, same as I wouldn't put tomato in a fruit salad.

So when you say baguette, do you mean a small/skinny loaf of bread (what a baguette is), or a long skinny bread stick type thing? I'm not sure I've ever heard the term "french stick" personally, but it sounds like its trying to describe breadsticks to me. But I've also never heard of breadsticks being called baguettes (even in the south) because a breadstick is not a baguette, one is much skinnier and often (but not always) crunchy, while the other is still a loaf.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Standard Yankee hyperbole . Not only is the premise questionable, but conquest doesn't always result in linguistic change, and in the mooted situation, almost certainly would not have.
    You say that with the language we saved for you on your tongue. Revisionist history if I've ever heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Huh. I must have missed the day in history where Hitler planned his invasion of Canada!

Besides, if not for you, the whole continent would still be flying under the Union Flag, and the war would've been over by teatime!
    The whole of the continent never flew under the Oppressor's Flag. The Netherlands, Russia, Spain and France all owned land over here. It wasn't until we threw off your cheese covered, boiled until it's gray chains that we decided to save this country from all other weird speaking countries. And the Native Americans.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    So when you say baguette, do you mean a small/skinny loaf of bread (what a baguette is), or a long skinny bread stick type thing? I'm not sure I've ever heard the term "french stick" personally, but it sounds like its trying to describe breadsticks to me. But I've also never heard of breadsticks being called baguettes (even in the south) because a breadstick is not a baguette, one is much skinnier and often (but not always) crunchy, while the other is still a loaf.
    I mean the loaf kind. Anything from these mini ones to these full-size ones. My parents would call both a 'French stick'.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2017-03-13 at 01:42 PM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean the loaf kind. Anything from these mini ones to these full-size ones. My parents would call both a 'French stick'.

I'm not sure that's a northern thing, the last time I saw a baguette (up here in Ohio, with in-laws from New York) it was a loafy kind of thing, and it was called a baguette properly.

I wonder why your parents call them french sticks...

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Is there anyone here who would, in casual conversation or when ordering a food item, call a hamburger by the term 'sandwich'?

In general, I find myself agreeing with this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest
    If somebody asked me directly, as you are doing now, I would answer yes. If somebody asked me if I wanted a sandwich, then came back 20 minutes later with a hamburger, I would be very confused, and possibly annoyed.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm not sure that's a northern thing, the last time I saw a baguette (up here in Ohio, with in-laws from New York) it was a loafy kind of thing, and it was called a baguette properly.

I wonder why your parents call them french sticks...
    Psst. Different country. England, it seems.
    Dioxazine purple.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Merriam-Webster comes down as hamburgers being a sandwich, a sandwich being 2 or more slices or a split roll, and thus by extension hot dogs in buns are sandwiches. I find no fault in their logic.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    A watermelon is a berry.

You've lost me sir.
    Last edited by Some Android; 2017-03-13 at 02:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post

You've lost me sir.
    Watermelons are scientifically a berry. So are pumpkins, bananas, tomatoes, and avocado. A berry is "a fleshy fruit produced from a single ovary." This also means peppers are a berry as well. What aren't berries? Raspberries, Strawberries or Blackberries. They're called Accessory Fruit or Aggregate Fruit.
    Last edited by Razade; 2017-03-13 at 02:57 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

You've lost me sir.
    From wikipedia, not as the sole definition but as one of the more concise explanations I've found of the definition of a berry in Botany vs. typical conversation:

"In botanical terminology, a berry is a fleshy fruit without a stone produced from a single flower containing one ovary. Berries so defined include grapes, currants, and tomatoes, as well as cucumbers, eggplants (aubergines) and bananas, but exclude certain fruits commonly called berries, such as strawberries and raspberries."

Watermelons qualify.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

23. - Top - End - #53

You've lost me sir.
    It's true. The fruit of the watermelon plant is classified as a specific sort of modified berry, known as a pepo. Definitely not something most people would expect, but that's science for you.

Edit: Wow, everyone pile on the berry-denying heathen, am I right?
    Last edited by Delicious Taffy; 2017-03-13 at 03:10 PM.
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    Psst. Different country. England, it seems.
    Well that would explain why I've never heard anything being called a "french stick"!

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Well that would explain why I've never heard anything being called a "french stick"!
    I've heard of it here in america.

But I can't disclose due to board rules.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Merriam-Webster comes down as hamburgers being a sandwich, a sandwich being 2 or more slices or a split roll, and thus by extension hot dogs in buns are sandwiches. I find no fault in their logic.
    Just because there's no fault in their logic doesn't mean we can go around saying it's right. They could define a sandwich to be any food with bread in it and it would hold up just as well to logic, but would be just as wrong.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Merriam-Webster has as much linguistic authority in the Commonwealth as the OED has in the US, which is to say none. And to be honest the OED is increasingly modish and unreliable even for British use, though obviously still superior, because we've got to argue about something, right?

I stand by my original verdict. A hamburger is a sandwich in a similar way to how a Victoria sponge is a sandwich. It is indeed technically a sandwich, but for any practical purpose in real life, its membership of the sandwich family is irrelevant.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

I have always considered the hamburger a sandwich, and will generally order it as such. "I would like a #2, small size, lemonade, with no onions on the sandwich please." is my normal order at my local fast food place. I never questioned it, nor have I been asked for clarification.

I can't conceive of calling a hot dog a sandwich, though there is not that much of a difference between them.
    "The error is to be human"

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Spojaz View Post
    I can't conceive of calling a hot dog a sandwich, though there is not that much of a difference between them.
    A hot dog is a wrap - there is one piece of bread that is wrapped around the ingredients.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Victoria sponge
    OK, now you're just making things up.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2