New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Do you consider a hamburger a sandwich?

Quote Originally Posted by Anderlith View Post
    So you would go to Subway & eat a "roll" with swiss & ham on it?
    Generally something like that would be called a roll, but when it comes from Subway it would be called a "Subway" (or perhaps a "Subway roll") because that is how Subway brands it here.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    OK, now you're just making things up.
    If being sweet and sugary means it's not bread, then most American bread is disqualified. Wonderbread? More like Wondercake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #63
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

No, he's quite right--in the UK at least, a traditional Victoria sponge (e.g. two round sponge cake layers with jam and cream in the middle) can be referred to as a Victoria sandwich. See the section on "Victoria sponge" on the Wikipedia article about sponge cakes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponge_cake

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I'd say a proper Victoria sponge is more of a sandwich than a hamburger is. At least, I can conceive of calling it a 'sandwich cake'. Especially because I frequently use the Victoria recipe for non-sandwiched cakes (I made some butterfly cakes with it literally yesterday), so a distinction would need to be made.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    No, he's quite right--in the UK at least, a traditional Victoria sponge (e.g. two round sponge cake layers with jam and cream in the middle) can be referred to as a Victoria sandwich. See the section on "Victoria sponge" on the Wikipedia article about sponge cakes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponge_cake
    Oh, I did before I commented. I just like joking on the Brits for their (admittedly kind of awesome) names for things.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Is KFC's Double Down a sandwich? ...okay, apparently whoever put it in the title of the Wikipedia article thought so. But it doesn't have bread, it uses chicken fillets to hold the bacon and cheese filling.

So is it "actually" a sandwich? Or is it a food item arranged in the style typically associated with sandwiches? Or is the word "sandwich" being adapted, or has it been adapted, to encompass food items arranged in the style typically associated with sandwiches?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Is KFC's Double Down a sandwich? ...okay, apparently whoever put it in the title of the Wikipedia article thought so. But it doesn't have bread, it uses chicken fillets to hold the bacon and cheese filling.

So is it "actually" a sandwich? Or is it a food item arranged in the style typically associated with sandwiches? Or is the word "sandwich" being adapted, or has it been adapted, to encompass food items arranged in the style typically associated with sandwiches?
    I don't know what it is, but it's delightful.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    If somebody asked me directly, as you are doing now, I would answer yes. If somebody asked me if I wanted a sandwich, then came back 20 minutes later with a hamburger, I would be very confused, and possibly annoyed.
    Yeah, exactly - there's technically not much of a difference, but I tend to think that a sandwich is
    a) a cold meal, unless it's grilled cheese.
    b) flat, not like a hamburger bun.
    c) not involving beef

By the way, I am Canadian, so this American regional use thing does not apply to me.

On another note, I am amused by the fact that there are multiple pages of forum argument about this when we mostly seem to be agreeing with eachother. GiantITP in a nutshell!
    Last edited by AuthorGirl; 2017-03-13 at 05:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    Yeah, exactly - there's technically not much of a difference, but I tend to think that a sandwich is
    c) not involving beef
    Not a big Reuben fan, I take it?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Or a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    c) not involving beef
    !
    Not a big Reuben fan, I take it?
    Yeah, salt beef sandwiches are definitely a thing. As are (usually cold) roast beef sandwiches. With horseradish, they're hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Or a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich?
    That, on the other hand, is just an unholy abomination.

On doing some research to try to find out what the specific type of meat was in the "original" (i.e. eponymous) sandwich, which I suspect was beef or mutton, but may not have been, I discovered that in the US at least there is a legal definition for sandwich and it appears that two discrete pieces of bread are required. Which would disqualify hot dogs and other filled rolls where the bread remains joined.

Edit: So here's one for the thread in general. Is a croque monsieur (or a croque madame, no need to be sexist on this point) a sandwich?
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2017-03-13 at 06:12 PM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

A hamburger is a sandwich the way a lion is a cat: yes, by definition, but no one refers to one that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Balderdash ! As any good student knows, the Philly sleez cheese steak is one of the few items that taste as good at 1am as it does at 1pm!

So here's one for the thread in general. Is a croque monsieur (or a croque madame, no need to be sexist on this point) a sandwich?
    Only if can be eaten with your hands.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Certainly isn't even close.

On doing some research to try to find out what the specific type of meat was in the "original" (i.e. eponymous) sandwich, which I suspect was beef or mutton, but may not have been, I discovered that in the US at least there is a legal definition for sandwich and it appears that two discrete pieces of bread are required. Which would disqualify hot dogs and other filled rolls where the bread remains joined.
    Not...sure where you got mutton from, like at all. The original meat used for the cheese streak was ribeye beef. The sandwich was invented in the 1930's.

Edit: So here's one for the thread in general. Is a croque monsieur (or a croque madame, no need to be sexist on this point) a sandwich?
    Of course it is. Why wouldn't it be? Also, a Croque Monsieur and a Croque Madame are different. Not just a naming convention. So is the Croque Mademoiselle. The Madame has an additional poached egg added on top and the Maemoiselle is without the ham with chives and other vegetables.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Berries so defined include grapes, currants, and tomatoes, as well as cucumbers, eggplants (aubergines) and bananas, but exclude certain fruits commonly called berries, such as strawberries and raspberries."

Watermelons qualify.
    Everything I have ever been told is a lie! What is this Orwellian nightmare I have woken up to?!? Ignorance is strength! War is peace! 2+2=5!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Not...sure where you got mutton from, like at all. The original meat used for the cheese streak was ribeye beef. The sandwich was invented in the 1930's.
    Not a cheesesteak sandwich! What is your obsession with that monstrosity?! The original sandwich, as invented by the Earl of Sandwich in the 18th century.

Having done a bit more research, it appears that the (possibly apocryphal) "original sandwich" did indeed contain (salt) beef.

Of course it is. Why wouldn't it be? Also, a Croque Monsieur and a Croque Madame are different. Not just a naming convention. So is the Croque Mademoiselle. The Madame has an additional poached egg added on top and the Maemoiselle is without the ham with chives and other vegetables.
    I know they're different, but the objection to the sandwich status of both would be the same: i.e. that the filling isn't just between the bread slices but also on top of them. It seems to run counter to the generally agreed rule of sandwich-dom in the thread so far that the filling is in the sandwich*. It also means that, while you can eat it with your hands, you can't eat it without getting your hands greasy, which is a betrayal of the whole purpose of sandwiches (see the "original sandwich", above).

*I am aware that the same objection could be raised for a sandwich cake, but that's an oddity anyway.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Not a cheesesteak sandwich! What is your obsession with that monstrosity?! The original sandwich, as invented by the Earl of Sandwich in the 18thcentury.
    To be fair, you went from "that monstrosity" to "the original sandwich" without any kind of mention that you were talking about two separate things.

I know they're different, but the objection to the sandwich status of both would be the same: i.e. that the filling isn't just between the bread slices but also on top of them. It seems to run counter to the generally agreed rule of sandwich-dom in the thread so far that the filling is in the sandwich*. It also means that, while you can eat it with your hands, you can't eat it without getting your hands greasy, which is a betrayal of the whole purpose of sandwiches (see the "original sandwich", above).

*I am aware that the same objection could be raised for a sandwich cake, but that's an oddity anyway.
    See, I don't think sandwiches are just finger food though...we have sandwiches in the U.S that aren't. The Kentucky Hot Brown for example, not one you'd really want to eat with your fingers. One could argue that the French Dip isn't a sandwich if all ingredients have to be "on the outside".

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, you went from "that monstrosity" to "the original sandwich" without any kind of mention that you were talking about two separate things.
    "Eponymous" was a pretty good indication, IMO.

A croque monsieur is certainly a sandwich. Many of the things people are talking about as "edge cases" are clearly sandwiches. And we're about one mention of Pineapple on Pizza from me believing that Zamasu did nothing wrong.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Conceivably, you can pile lots of other things on top of sandwiches, up to and including other sandwiches. A sandwich doesn't suddenly become less of a sandwich because you stuck a toothpick with an olive on top of the bread.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Anything can be a sandwich these days. So in my opinion yes a hamburger can be a sandwich. Which included a cheeseburger and veggieburger. Speaking of hamburgers, I which I have a Big Mac by now. Mmm, delicious.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    As a Brit, I agree. I would never consider a hamburger to be a sandwich. If it wasn't cooked, it'd be a bun or a bap (or maybe barm) depending on where in the country I was. And yes, the things in Subway are definitely rolls. Or paninis if they're on crusty/French bread. Though I would add that the influence of the Subway chain has led to most people calling their products 'subs'.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, a sandwich can't be cooked. It becomes a toastie if you cook it.

How do you yanks get by with only one word for all these different foodstuffs?
    You see, we differentiate our amalgamations of bread and non-bread things by the stuff inside it, and possibly the kind of bread; the actual style of bread occasionally comes up, but since most places that make sandwiches all make the same style of sandwich (McDonalds has burgers, but no subs or paninis, Subway has subs and wraps, but no burgers, etc), there's basically not ever any need to specify the style of bread. The actual ingredients are what matter (and oftentimes, the kind of bread you get will usually set the style as well, but that's neither here nor there).

A much shorter answer: we don't get by with one word, we have many words for "non-bread inside bread(s)", it's just that we don't pretend the group of things that are non-bread ingredients contained by bread ingredients can't have some kind of blanket term.

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Is there anyone here who would, in casual conversation or when ordering a food item, call a hamburger by the term 'sandwich'?
    "I'd like a Big Mac sandwich" is something I heard with enough frequency while working/eating at McD's that it's virtually interchangable to me with "I'd like a Big Mac burger" (other variations include things like my earlier example "I'd like a #3 meal, just the sandwich/burger").

If somebody asked me directly, as you are doing now, I would answer yes. If somebody asked me if I wanted a sandwich, then came back 20 minutes later with a hamburger, I would be very confused, and possibly annoyed.
    True, but while all burgers are sandwiches, not all sandwiches are burgers. If your friend asked "you want a burger?", and you said yes, and they came back and handed you a burger while saying "here's your sandwich", it'd be a **** move to lecture them on the technical definition dating back to when the style of bread in a sandwich was more important than the ingredients, and they'd be well within their rights to tell you "just shut up and eat your sandwich".

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

See, I don't think sandwiches are just finger food though...we have sandwiches in the U.S that aren't. The Kentucky Hot Brown for example, not one you'd really want to eat with your fingers. One could argue that the French Dip isn't a sandwich if all ingredients have to be "on the outside".
    I think this is the language gap again, but really the "can you eat it with your hands" thing is more of a theoretical than a practical distinction. Obviously, many sandwiches are too big to be eaten with one's hands in practice. (As an aside, I'm always baffled by people who eat burgers with a knife and fork, especially if it's a non-formal setting. In a quasi-formal setting it's just amusing).

The French Dip, I think, is a dish which contains a sandwich. It's hard to argue that the whole thing counts as a sandwich, I think; it's not like a Happy Meal is a sandwich. The Hot Brown seems like it's a sandwich only by name, but then I don't really hold with open-faced "sandwiches".

Conceivably, you can pile lots of other things on top of sandwiches, up to and including other sandwiches. A sandwich doesn't suddenly become less of a sandwich because you stuck a toothpick with an olive on top of the bread.
    That's a garnish, though, rather than an integral part of the sandwich. A reuben sandwich, say, doesn't become or stop being a reuben sandwich depending on whether it has an olive-toothpick on it, whereas a croque monsieur without cheese on top is just a cheese and ham toastie. The croque is kind of a hybrid between a rarebit (not a sandwich) and a sandwich, so it could be argued as a sandwich or as a "hot bread-based dish", I think.

I am being excessively pedantic, obviously, but then that is basically the premise of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Anything can be a sandwich these days. So in my opinion yes a hamburger can be a sandwich. Which included a cheeseburger and veggieburger. Speaking of hamburgers, I which I have a Big Mac by now. Mmm, delicious.
    Yeah, I think if you accept the premise that a burger is a sandwich, you can change the nature of the burger itself or add extra toppings/fillings and it's going to remain a sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "I'd like a Big Mac sandwich" is something I heard with enough frequency while working/eating at McD's that it's virtually interchangable to me with "I'd like a Big Mac burger"
    Seems like both of them are wasting a word there; I just go with "I'd like a Big Mac" and they seem to understand.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2017-03-13 at 09:41 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm one of those odd Americans I guess that don't see a burger as a sandwich. For me, a sandwich is between two pieces of "normal" bread(ie: two slices of bread you'd get from a grocery store). If it's between a roll or a bun, it is it's own thing.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Seems like both of them are wasting a word there; I just go with "I'd like a Big Mac" and they seem to understand.
    A fair point, but neither is wrong just because the go into more detail.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

So if a burger is not a sandwich because it's in a bun, what would you call a chicken "sandwich" that is in the same bun?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    So if a burger is not a sandwich because it's in a bun, what would you call a chicken "sandwich" that is in the same bun?
    A chicken burger?
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

A chicken burger?
    Or a McChicken

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Or a McChicken
    That's their cheapest one, but they also offer a Buttermilk Crispy Chicken Sandwich and an Artisan Grilled Chicken Sandwich.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I think this is the language gap again, but really the "can you eat it with your hands" thing is more of a theoretical than a practical distinction. Obviously, many sandwiches are too big to be eaten with one's hands in practice. (As an aside, I'm always baffled by people who eat burgers with a knife and fork, especially if it's a non-formal setting. In a quasi-formal setting it's just amusing).

The French Dip, I think, is a dish which contains a sandwich. It's hard to argue that the whole thing counts as a sandwich, I think; it's not like a Happy Meal is a sandwich. The Hot Brown seems like it's a sandwich only by name, but then I don't really hold with open-faced "sandwiches".

That's a garnish, though, rather than an integral part of the sandwich. A reuben sandwich, say, doesn't become or stop being a reuben sandwich depending on whether it has an olive-toothpick on it, whereas a croque monsieur without cheese on top is just a cheese and ham toastie. The croque is kind of a hybrid between a rarebit (not a sandwich) and a sandwich, so it could be argued as a sandwich or as a "hot bread-based dish", I think.

I am being excessively pedantic, obviously, but then that is basically the premise of this thread.

Yeah, I think if you accept the premise that a burger is a sandwich, you can change the nature of the burger itself or add extra toppings/fillings and it's going to remain a sandwich.
    Yes all you have to do is to get some bread,add condiments, add meat. And you have yourself a sandwich. I believe a chiliburger is part of the sandwich family as well.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Yes all you have to do is to get some bread,add condiments, add meat. And you have yourself a sandwich. I believe a chiliburger is part of the sandwich family as well.
    So if I have a giant pile of vegetables between two pieces of bread, plus various condiments (lets say mustard and mayo), that's not a sandwich because it doesn't have meat? This seems like a pretty unique definition.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    So if I have a giant pile of vegetables between two pieces of bread, plus various condiments (lets say mustard and mayo), that's not a sandwich because it doesn't have meat? This seems like a pretty unique definition.
    It still a sandwich meat or no meat.