New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361

Default Re: GrrlPower III: Crisis Of Infinite Filler Comics

Yes, it would, if Sydney had any SAN to take damage. She's been on the internet for years at this point, so her SAN score is a negative.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Yes, it would, if Sydney had any SAN to take damage. She's been on the internet for years at this point, so her SAN score is a negative.
    Don't you stop taking SAN damage once it hits zero?
    Mostly because there's nothing left but worshipping oversized calamari that think they are smart, meaning you are immune to it the same way someone who's out of HP is immune to damage, but immune is immune.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #363
    Colossus in the Playground

So we learned what the big problem was. Though now we have to learn WHY the vault being robbed is such a huge deal. And geez max, please keep in mind there are council members who have been leading things longer than america has existed. Maybe dont try to act like you are more than a newcomer here. While keeping archon in the loop is important, I dont think that includes the minutiae of everything they do. Unless it becomes an issue, and as soon as it did, they notified you. So cool your jets.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #364

You know, the more we deal with the Council, the more I start wondering if maybe we should let Sciona rip them a new one before we obliterate her.

5. - Top - End - #365

Yeah they are only now realizing the sheer depth of their ineptitude dealing with this situation. And even then its only because max and sydney are making them think about whats going on.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

It's bad when Sydney says "That's something stupid that I would do." She at least recognizes she has a problem.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #367

Sydney has a very very good point. The instant they said it took a quorum of senior council members to open the vault the alarm klaxons began screaming in my head. This is very much so an obvious prelude to a trap. Yeah its POSSIBLE sciona already looted the place, but im still picturing a swarm of goons sent to delay them while sciona or whoever dashes in, loots what she wants, and dashes out, probably setting off a trap on the way to try and kill them all. Or they enter the room, and she shuts them in, or a dozen options really. Sydneys com orb may be classified, but its not like she has to announce what she is doing. She should totally casually fiddle with the yellow orb and take a subtle look around. Glamours, magic auras, whatever she can scan, just to see if she spots anything. Then text maxima again to avoid triggering the ambush until the boss lady wants to. There, no analysis paralysis. Just a simple reasonable action to quickly confirm danger or lack thereof. Also, sydney, stay out of the vault. Again easily justified. "She has the ooh shiny bug. Its safer if she isnt in arms reach of anything explodey" That way if there IS a trap, at least sydney will be outside it. Again, reasonable precaution, no paralysis involved. The what if game can totally get out of control, thats true, but that doesnt mean taking a few basic steps for the sake of caution arent warranted.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Sydney has a very very good point. The instant they said it took a quorum of senior council members to open the vault the alarm klaxons began screaming in my head. This is very much so an obvious prelude to a trap. Yeah its POSSIBLE sciona already looted the place, but im still picturing a swarm of goons sent to delay them while sciona or whoever dashes in, loots what she wants, and dashes out, probably setting off a trap on the way to try and kill them all. Or they enter the room, and she shuts them in, or a dozen options really. Sydneys com orb may be classified, but its not like she has to announce what she is doing. She should totally casually fiddle with the yellow orb and take a subtle look around. Glamours, magic auras, whatever she can scan, just to see if she spots anything. Then text maxima again to avoid triggering the ambush until the boss lady wants to. There, no analysis paralysis. Just a simple reasonable action to quickly confirm danger or lack thereof. Also, sydney, stay out of the vault. Again easily justified. "She has the ooh shiny bug. Its safer if she isnt in arms reach of anything explodey" That way if there IS a trap, at least sydney will be outside it. Again, reasonable precaution, no paralysis involved. The what if game can totally get out of control, thats true, but that doesnt mean taking a few basic steps for the sake of caution arent warranted.
    While I mostly agree, a couple of big nukes would solve that, and are probably part of the "normal" defences of the vault.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I kinda hope Sydney's right.
    Triggering something you know could very well be a trap without taking any precautions is beyond stupid.
    Sure, considering for any action wether or not the enemy anticipated it can paralyse you, but that's no excuse for knowingly walking into a trap without preparing any countermeasure.
    At least order the girl with the shield to keep it ready.

Even Obi-Wan and Anakin in Episode III did better.
    Okay, they didn't.
    But that's cause their „countermeasure” for the obvious trap was springing it.
    That mightn't be the best plan to deal with it, but at least they acknowledged the trap and (kinda) prepared for it.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

10. - Top - End - #370

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    While I mostly agree, a couple of big nukes would solve that, and are probably part of the "normal" defences of the vault.
    Yeah but as we saw with the council attack, sciona is well aware of the normal protections, combat methods, abilities, etc of the council and countered pretty much all of them. Without sydney and maxima, that attacks would have been a horror show. So expecting the vaults protections to do anything useful is wishful thinking to me.

And Kantaki, agreed. Its one thing to go the whole, "But what if they know we know they know we know and are counting on us knowing they know we know they know?" and something else entirely to go, "Hey, she has been ahead of us this whole time, maybe consider this is just as much of a setup as the last three moves she made were." And take some simple precautions. Sydney staying outside the vault with her shield up and com orb handy alone would provide a margin of safety.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Yeah but as we saw with the council attack, sciona is well aware of the normal protections, combat methods, abilities, etc of the council and countered pretty much all of them. Without sydney and maxima, that attacks would have been a horror show. So expecting the vaults protections to do anything useful is wishful thinking to me.
    Yeah, I know. However, unless at least one of the artifacts is/are nukeproof, they're missing a very obvious trick in not installing one as a tamper keyed destruction device. There is no vault that survives vaporisation. Failing nukes, literal kilotons of high explosive make a close approximation.

And Kantaki, agreed. Its one thing to go the whole, "But what if they know we know they know we know and are counting on us knowing they know we know they know?" and something else entirely to go, "Hey, she has been ahead of us this whole time, maybe consider this is just as much of a setup as the last three moves she made were." And take some simple precautions. Sydney staying outside the vault with her shield up and com orb handy alone would provide a margin of safety.
    Or Maxima staying out, since our POV is based on Sydney, and we want to see.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

As an aside, it's refreshing to see the story moving along without Sydney herping the derp every other panel like a bad case of hiccups.

13. - Top - End - #373

But it is worrying when she's playing the role of the smart one.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    But it is worrying when she's playing the role of the smart one.
    Not really. It's her knowledge of tropes coming to play. That's actually one of the reasons Max keeps her around despite her being a pain at times.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

15. - Top - End - #375

True, when sydney is being the voice of reason then she is generally right. Though the part i like is, even if nothing happens, she is still coming up with reasonable comments. She isnt running off on strange mental tangents right now. She is seeing the potential for trouble here, bringing it up in a logical way, and not getting mouthy about it either. Maybe she is finally learning what it means to be military? Even a fairly relaxed one like arcswat you can bring up your concerns, then let the commander decide what to do and go with it. Arguing out in the field is a bad thing no matter how much the commander likes you. We dont need another obama comic day scenario after all. :p

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Sydney is getting better with the orbs. She didn't go and reach for it. It flew into her hand. And yes a bit much on the skull motif.

17. - Top - End - #377

And once again the council is mostly useless against the threats they face. Seriously, how did they survive this long? I mean sure the werebadger did some serious damage and krona wasnt useless, but for the most part, every time sciona makes a move against them, its like they are superman, and magical kryptonite is sold on every street corner. They are just countered and shut down.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

And once again the council is mostly useless against the threats they face. Seriously, how did they survive this long? I mean sure the werebadger did some serious damage and krona wasnt useless, but for the most part, every time sciona makes a move against them, its like they are superman, and magical kryptonite is sold on every street corner. They are just countered and shut down.
    Yeah, but she saw them coming.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, this isn't like kryptonite being sold on the street corner. This is like that one storyline where the bad guy steals Batman's secret plans to target every other superhero's weakness and puts them into action. Sciona knows everyone on the council, how to counter them, and she's been planning this for a while apparently. As much as seeing the Council repeatedly Worfed is silly, it'd far stranger if she wasn't pre-prepared to neutralize their abilities.

20. - Top - End - #380

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yeah, this isn't like kryptonite being sold on the street corner. This is like that one storyline where the bad guy steals Batman's secret plans to target every other superhero's weakness and puts them into action. Sciona knows everyone on the council, how to counter them, and she's been planning this for a while apparently. As much as seeing the Council repeatedly Worfed is silly, it'd far stranger if she wasn't pre-prepared to neutralize their abilities.
    Yeah but my point is, why hasnt this happened SOONER?! Its not like the supernatural does a great job of hiding their strengths and weaknesses, and thats from the people who think they are fables. How have they lasted thousands of years when its clearly possible to shut down EVERYTHING, and not just say, vampires? Aside from the grenade launchers none of the stuff she has attacked them with has even been modern. And even those are replaceable as explosives are a thing that has existed in weaponized form for a very long time. 500 years ago they could have tossed a crude pipe bomb full of that potpourri of anti supernatural material and had the same devastating effect.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Yeah, but she saw them coming.
    Agreed. What makes Maxima and Sydney useful in this situation is that they are rogue variables going up against a meticulous planner. Sciona knows every letter of the Council's policies, every quirk of their representatives, every strength and weakness of their constituent members, and the flaws of infrastructure that keeps them afloat. Every piece of this plan was designed to exploit the hell out of the known variables, but supers are much more difficult to prepare for since each one brings a different set of advantages and quirks to the table and they're too new for reliable norms to have established themselves yet. Maxima's powerset is intentionally left unexplained (Dabbler worked it out on her own), so she's a rogue variable even among supers, and Sydney is... a special case, in so many ways. Even plans to deal with supers would be ineffective against these two.

The thing to keep in mind, here, is that Sciona's strategy isn't focused. Probably specifically because of the presence of supers. She has plans within plans with a large number of contingencies to take advantage of the situation. The lycanthropes are a strong faction with a strong bias towards coexistence, so Sciona's strategy involved taking a pot shot at them. If it worked, it worked, and a stabilizing factor in the Council would have been silenced. If it didn't... well... who cares? Whatever stopped it would have to tip its hand somewhat to achieve the feat, informing her future strategies. This shotgun approach means that interference from supers can disrupt small portions of the plan without derailing the whole, while at the same time obfuscating the actual goal. After all, every step of the way so far, we've been misled as to what outcome she's playing off of.

Very likely, the guardian is like the silver grenade. If it killed a few Council leaders, that would be a nice payoff. Its destruction, on the other hand, could easily give Sciona enough forewarning of their entrance into the vault that she can get the next stage of her plan into play before they can figure out what it was, much less stop it, and therefore an acceptable sacrifice. The end result is that while the supers get to look good due to being rogue variables, their actual impact on things is minimal. Heads, I win. Tails, you lose. The game of a proper villain.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

I understand that Scions is a special case, that she specifically studied and planned for this. The problem is that it doesn't read well. Thus is our first and only encounter with the Council, so seeing them get thoroughly shut down like this just makes them look pathetic and worthless. This is a story that needs to come far, far down the line. We get introduced to the Council, but they aren't they main focus of the story. They're the backup when all other backup fails, the nuclear option. They're guaranteed to win against whatever Archon comes up against, but the supers don't like using that help. Build the Council up as these incredible badasses and then bring in Sciona. It would work exceptionally well. Plus, it would also be an opportunity for table turning as now, it's the Council who depends on the heroes for help. This is yet another case of Dave jumping head first into the deep end without regard for adequate buildup. You gotta set the foundation before you can put up the 20th floor.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I understand that Scions is a special case, that she specifically studied and planned for this. The problem is that it doesn't read well. Thus is our first and only encounter with the Council, so seeing them get thoroughly shut down like this just makes them look pathetic and worthless. This is a story that needs to come far, far down the line. We get introduced to the Council, but they aren't they main focus of the story. They're the backup when all other backup fails, the nuclear option. They're guaranteed to win against whatever Archon comes up against, but the supers don't like using that help. Build the Council up as these incredible badasses and then bring in Sciona. It would work exceptionally well. Plus, it would also be an opportunity for table turning as now, it's the Council who depends on the heroes for help. This is yet another case of Dave jumping head first into the deep end without regard for adequate buildup. You gotta set the foundation before you can put up the 20th floor.
    Only if they are supposed to be incredible badasses. But for all their arrogance, all their special powers, and all their combined years lived it's humanity ruling the roost. There's a reason for this and it simply might be that they aren't skilled, adaptable, or powerful enough to handle complex threats that target their weaknesses. They hide from the world because if they didn't humans would murder them all.

I mean Sciona is basically a vampire troll. That's it. She's smart, but her personal power seems to be pretty damn limited, and besides the regenerate aspect, humans could pretty much do everything her golems have done so far.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Only if they are supposed to be incredible badasses. But for all their arrogance, all their special powers, and all their combined years lived it's humanity ruling the roost. There's a reason for this and it simply might be that they aren't skilled, adaptable, or powerful enough to handle complex threats that target their weaknesses. They hide from the world because if they didn't humans would murder them all.

I mean Sciona is basically a vampire troll. That's it. She's smart, but her personal power seems to be pretty damn limited, and besides the regenerate aspect, humans could pretty much do everything her golems have done so far.
    Okay. That does nothing to contradict my actual point. Even if it's exactly ad you said, it still doesn't read that way. We haven't seen the status quo for the Council, so this change means nothing to us. The only interpretation we can make is that the Council is simply too weak to adequately defend itself, and that raises the question of how they've survived for this long.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

25. - Top - End - #385
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think that Maxima is there makes the effects worse, because the threats aren't a threat to her it seems less like extraordinary danger and more like them (the council) just being small fry.
    Last edited by Ibrinar; 2017-09-01 at 05:26 AM.

26. - Top - End - #386

Admittedly, it does sort of take the teeth out of the arc's antagonist. We're told that the Council is tough and scary. So in theory, seeing Sciona outplan them and incapacitate them so easily is a psudo-Worfing to build up her villain cred. But this being their first appearance ever, and watching them get creamed repeatedly while the superheroes clean house, makes Sciona a lot less impressive than I think she's intended to be.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

I got to agree on how its getting a little grating with the council repeatedly being worfed like this.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    I think that Maxima is there makes the effects worse, because the threats aren't a threat to her it seems less like extraordinary danger and more like them (the council) just being small fry.
    Honestly I think Maxima's presence makes most scenes worse. Especially scenes that are meant to be the least bit threatening.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

29. - Top - End - #389

The good Maxima scenes are the ones she can't punch to a solution, like press conferences or Omar mashing her FEMINIST RAGE buttons.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly I think Maxima's presence makes most scenes worse. Especially scenes that are meant to be the least bit threatening.
    Hard to argue with this. At least regarding the scenes that are meant to be any sort of threatening.

The good Maxima scenes are the ones she can't punch to a solution, like press conferences or Omar mashing her FEMINIST RAGE buttons.
    Unfortunately press conferences are not even that big of an issue when you can just blow something up and fly away in the stunned silence. Did like the inclusion of the guy that got stronger from being punched though

Also, after a little thinking i figured out why this page in particular is annoying. Its not enough that Max casually kill steals the robot. We first have to see how the entire rest of the council is more or less useless.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar