New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default GrrlPower III: Crisis Of Infinite Filler Comics

Thread dedicated to discus the still popular webcomic Grrl Power, where we follow/tries to tolerate the antics of the at times scatterbrained Sydney in a wide and diverse cast.

The discussion about what actually constitues filler will no doubt soon begin, but the voices of the people have spoken.

links to the past
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...on-Super-Power
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...414-Grrl-Power
    Last edited by lord_khaine; 2017-03-21 at 12:38 PM.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GrrlPower III: Crisis Of Infinite Filler Comics

Filler is the stuff from Twinkies, right? #NailedIt

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Filler is what you do after the date.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Filler is what you do after the date.
    If the date is good your to tired for much of that though

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

I actually disagree with dave here. So long as noone dies, I dont think max would be too upset with sydney. A bit disappointed maybe, but not angry. Yes she did really well in the early fights, but she is still an incredibly under trained and inexperienced person who just got caught with her pants down and had no way to protect herself. Freezing is a natural response. I just figure they might put her through some sort of training designed to help her react better. Probably give her dodge training where she isnt allowed to use her orbs and they ambush her at random times until she learns to think clearly with or without the orbs in place. Helps her get used to the shock of sudden combat and teaches her she has other options available if the orbs arent.

She really isnt supposed to be here. She is a freaking recruit and max wasnt happy about it in the first place. But so far sydney has been doing really well in combat situations and her power set DOES make her really effective against everything they have faced so far, so it was a gamble to take but one with less than terrible odds. Well, now we see why it was a risky bet. A partially trained recruit tends to not always react in the best way under stress.

New prediction. She has had trouble with the ppo before. It doesnt work right, it doesnt work through the shield, the new ability is something unfortunate. Her backup plan is to hold the shield up, and use her com orb to teleport to pixel. Basically, try to regroup with everyone under her shield and either hunker down, or make a new plan. Why teleport instead of fly? Because the robot would be able to follow her flight easier than her teleporting and since a teleport is instant, she can get into position easier.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I honestly think both of the listed reasons are BS. Noone has any right to tell Sydney about how to spend her upgrades, because for all we know they are locked lifechoices.

And well, yeah i guess in theory you should yell at bet at someone for freezing up while a teammate is getting mauled on general principle. But as it were mentioned Sydney is a raw recruit. You can just about expect her to not shoot any teammate. Especially when you have been straight up WASTING training time on making someone who can fly run laps and play with guns.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know if Maxima would be pissed or not, but I have to say I'm glad we didn't have another month's worth of comics of Sydney freezing up and not doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    If the date is good your to tired for much of that though
    *You're

*Too
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2017-03-16 at 10:03 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I honestly think both of the listed reasons are BS. Noone has any right to tell Sydney about how to spend her upgrades, because for all we know they are locked lifechoices.
    Since she more or less is in the military, yes they can.
    Last edited by HandofShadows; 2017-03-16 at 10:40 AM.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Since she more or less is in the military, yes they can.
    Especially since the whole POINT is an attempt to figure out how the tree works. Right now its raw guesswork, but if they can put together a theory and test it, maybe they can figure out how it works so future upgrade choices arent so random. *EDIT* As for wasting time training, even tank operators have to be able to run a couple miles in a certain time frame. Just because your job involves driving everywhere doesnt mean you get to skip getting into a basic level of shape.
    Last edited by Traab; 2017-03-16 at 11:19 AM.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Especially since the whole POINT is an attempt to figure out how the tree works. Right now its raw guesswork, but if they can put together a theory and test it, maybe they can figure out how it works so future upgrade choices arent so random. *EDIT* As for wasting time training, even tank operators have to be able to run a couple miles in a certain time frame. Just because your job involves driving everywhere doesnt mean you get to skip getting into a basic level of shape.
    Which is probably why they wanted her to pick what they thought were flight speed points. They already know her top speed and could find out how much it increased as a result. Instead, they'll have almost no idea what it will do, unless she gets something new with point she spent.

I expect Maxima to be upset about the panicking, but in a reasonable way. Like a sort of 'I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but now that it has I have to empthasize exactly what you should do in a fight so it doesn't happen again.'
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Which is probably why they wanted her to pick what they thought were flight speed points. They already know her top speed and could find out how much it increased as a result. Instead, they'll have almost no idea what it will do, unless she gets something new with point she spent.

I expect Maxima to be upset about the panicking, but in a reasonable way. Like a sort of 'I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but now that it has I have to empthasize exactly what you should do in a fight so it doesn't happen again.'
    Agreed, maybe even blaming herself a bit. "I may have pushed you too far too fast with all this active duty stuff. From now on anything short of an all hands situation, you are remaining with the other recruits until you finish training." Its understandable really, none of this has been intentional on max's side. Sydney goes to the post press release dinner, they get attacked by almost three dozen enemies. She decides to show sydney a relatively boring meeting with the supernatural? They come under attack by an old enemy. Normally she wouldnt get called in to help, but since she is already there and has shown she can contribute in a big way, max gets pressured into letting her help. So they gave her a low priority location to investigate so they could focus on the more likely ones. Of course thats where the big bad is/was.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Nice to see Sydney finally stop derping (for now, anyway).

I'm thinking the PPO upgrade will allow it to bypass her shield, which she'll forget to drop.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    Nice to see Sydney finally stop derping (for now, anyway).

I'm thinking the PPO upgrade will allow it to bypass her shield, which she'll forget to drop.
    So far, things generally needed an upgrade to work inside her shield. Like when she had to improvise a jump-rope for Dabbler because the lighthook only manifests outside the shield.

What I think might happen, is that the PPO will fire in the direction she's aiming, but from some offset point on the shield, causing her to miss the target and hit something else, or just fail to destroy the target with this shot.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I on the other hand fear that Sydney's now even more special ball will turn the murder puppet to ash

15. - Top - End - #15

I on the other hand fear that Sydney's now even more special ball will turn the murder puppet to ash
    Im thinking the two options are, misfire where it doesnt work for some reason, (remember, she has had problems using it in the past) or option two, its monstrous overkill and does huge damage to whatever is behind the robot. Causing some sort of incident. PR is a big part of this whole thing, and sydney obliterating a block of warehouses in an incident they cant talk about wont look good for multiple reasons. "Hey, arent you the girl who just joined like, a week ago? What were you doing out here on assignment?"

Or she destroys the factory, thus losing all the evidence they needed to figure out scionas plan. "Great job syd. We have no robot to examine, her entire headquarters was demolished leaving us nothing to search for clues, and we have no idea where she went because all traces have been obliterated. You're on kp duty."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Instead, they'll have almost no idea what it will do, unless she gets something new with point she spent.
    Hopefully, at least, Krona can figure out something. Maybe.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

For all we know, it was a nonlethal option. She had noted the problem where it didn't have a lower setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to hedge my bets on the Anime cliche where is IS a super-powerful blast...and the doll walks through it like it was nothing.
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2017-03-18 at 09:48 PM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey that was actually very useful. Now she doesn't have to totally drop her Shield to use the PPO. Unfortunately the murderbot has it's own shield.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

She already could use the energy beam from inside of her shield, we have seen her do so once before.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

When Sydney says that Sydney needs more training, you know things are bad.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

22. - Top - End - #22

I guess none of us were right. While my theory of her destroying the surrounding area is at least close, it wasnt through some sort of super overkill upgrade, just from her inability to aim 600 rounds per minute and some scatter hit the surroundings. Cool upgrade though. Maybe want to switch back to beam as it looks like the beam is stronger. Those shots deflected into the roof arent slicing through them like butta after all. And a beam might work better on a shield than a few dozen random impacts on random locations.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I just don't see the benefit of the rapid fire mod. Sydney's original beam was powerful and precise. Now, she can fill a room with blasts with far less precision. Maybe if it's smokey or the enemy is invisible?

Oh, and her opponent now magically (appropriately enough) has a force field and can deflect her attacks, and so can continue to fight.

Props to Sean Mirrsen, who was right about it already operating through her shield. (I wonder if that's what the filled pip between the Shield orb and PPO does.)

Same issues as always with the comic. Great art and concepts, decent dialog, plot advances like molasses flowing in January.

24. - Top - End - #24

You dont always want to use tank obliterating levels of power, and there may come a time when she is fighting off a large force. But in general, yeah, this looks neat, but is kinda less than optimal. As for the shield out of nowhere, I give it a pass. This robot is being built by someone who is quite clearly going the borg route. Highly adaptable, assimilating every strength other races have into her own, etc etc etc. So of course her robot would have magical shielding of some sort.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    I just don't see the benefit of the rapid fire mod. Sydney's original beam was powerful and precise. Now, she can fill a room with blasts with far less precision. Maybe if it's smokey or the enemy is invisible?
    Or mooks. It's why tanks still have machine guns.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

26. - Top - End - #26

The low-power rapid-fire mode is for when you have to worry about overpenetration more than missed shots. Like, say, fighting inside a building or any kind of populated area. Putting out a few dozen small fires and repairing a whole lot of blasted masonry is a lot of work, sure, but it doesn't really compare to having to rebuild a strip of city just because the only way to save the day was a star-powered killbeam.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So the new upgrade is a energy shot gun? Nice.

And even if it wasn't useful right now having more options than the tankslicer can't hurt.
    Might even tell them something about the skill tree assuming Sydney can roughly remember where she put the skill point.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    So the new upgrade is a energy shot gun? Nice.

And even if it wasn't useful right now having more options than the tankslicer can't hurt.
    Might even tell them something about the skill tree assuming Sydney can roughly remember where she put the skill point.
    PPO has a relatively simple upgrade grid; one loop of dots, each with an attached dot of its own, one line of 5 connected dots, and a single orphan (plus the interconnects to other orbs that they all have.) The line is presumably its power rating; it's at 3, which matches with Sydney's dossier 'blast' rating of 3. The orphan would cause the PPO to do something completely new but kind of related, going off what it did for the telepresence orb; it could be what she put that point in, but given the author comment on this latest comic it's unlikely. "When Sydney gets that branch completely filled out.." so she almost certainly put it in that ring of spaces, the one that already has its entry point and the attached inner space filled. So.. yes, I guess it tells them something - that ring is mode of fire options. No idea what the inner points represent. They could be something different for every alt-fire the PPO has.

Unrelated at the moment: The Lighthook orb has no fewer than 4 of those 'level of effect' lines. They're all at 1, bar the single that is at 3. Weight limit/strength of the hook is a safe guess for one of them.. any ideas on what the other ones represent? Maximum length of tentacle? Number of simultaneous tentacles allowed (Sydney already likes the lighthook, imagine how much fun she'll have if she can go all Doc Ock with them!)
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2017-03-20 at 01:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

For the ppo options, im thinking full contra. Spread attack, homing, ray, machine gun, flamethrower, crusher missiles, (Short range exploders) that sort of thing. We now have ray and machine gun, im hoping she unlocks homing soon as aim is going to be an issue.

30. - Top - End - #30

The PPO is star-powered, apparently. So it'd make sense for all of its "fire modes" to literally involve fire, or plasma and heat, in some way.

We know there's a "tank confetti maker" exploding laser setting. There are now rapid-fireballs. I think other modes will include a "firebomb launcher", a "plasma sword", perhaps an actual flamethrower, and maybe a guided plasmaball thing.
    ---------------------
    ---------------------
    ---------------------