New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GrrlPower III: Crisis Of Infinite Filler Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    You dont always want to use tank obliterating levels of power, and there may come a time when she is fighting off a large force. But in general, yeah, this looks neat, but is kinda less than optimal. As for the shield out of nowhere, I give it a pass. This robot is being built by someone who is quite clearly going the borg route. Highly adaptable, assimilating every strength other races have into her own, etc etc etc. So of course her robot would have magical shielding of some sort.
    She didn't have nearly as much difficulty controlling it, or firing it. I think it's a pretty good upgrade. Remember she took careful aim with the Pew Pew Orb, and she still could barely control it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
    The PPO is star-powered, apparently. So it'd make sense for all of its "fire modes" to literally involve fire, or plasma and heat, in some way.

We know there's a "tank confetti maker" exploding laser setting. There are now rapid-fireballs. I think other modes will include a "firebomb launcher", a "plasma sword", perhaps an actual flamethrower, and maybe a guided plasmaball thing.
    Since when is it star-powered? I thought that was just a metaphor.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    She didn't have nearly as much difficulty controlling it, or firing it. I think it's a pretty good upgrade. Remember she took careful aim with the Pew Pew Orb, and she still could barely control it.

Since when is it star-powered? I thought that was just a metaphor.
    Thats true enough. But it clearly has a lower damage cap than her laser beam does, going by the environmental damage which could be a big problem in a lot of fights. And too be fair, that was only the second time she has ever USED the ppo, probably the first time on purpose, so having bad aim with it is understandable. I just hope she at least TRIES the original ppo blast before giving up and going on to plan b, but im not holding my breath.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Thread dedicated to discus the still popular webcomic Grrl Power, where we follow/tries to tolerate the antics of the at times scatterbrained Sydney in a wide and diverse cast.

The discussion about what actually constitues filler will no doubt soon begin, but the voices of the people have spoken.
    First, I'm complaining about no links to the previous threads. Should be included, please.

Second, I disagree with the "filler" title. There haven't been much filler comics in here, it seems like forever. Unlike the many other comics that regularly update with their "happy own-birthday/merry christmas/yeah-100-pages/convention!/illness"-fillers.
    - There is a different definition of "filler" = "comics that happen outside the normal story line and/or are just silly gags". Which I also can't see here.
    - Finally, there is the definition that "filler" = "comics that are perceived by some disappointed readers as hindering the main plot" - which is a very subjective thing. If the readers are disappointed with pacing and the story arcs, they are calling each and every update a filler. The prolonged council session and the introduction of a bazillion weres, supers, vampires, were-bunnies and super-jaguars? A filler. The Godsmoot that introduced an entire pantheon for no reason but to stop Roy from directly battling Xykon? A filler. The annoying struggle between Sydney and ADHD? A filler. The pointless battles with ice giants? A filler. Krona's checkpoint? A filler.

I strongly disagree with that last definition. It's arbitrary and very snarky, not to say insulting the author. Grrlpower has been discussed here with much less contempt than Deegan/Starpower, and in my opinion it's not bad enough to deserve that contempt and constant snarking.

That said, in my opinion too, Dave is making poor choices in his storytelling. But that's a personal opinion which I expressed in the previous thread already. If this new thread is, per the title, just dedicated to snarkers who vent about Dave's "fillers", then count me out.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

First, I'm complaining about no links to the previous threads. Should be included, please.
    Really? has anyone ever done anything whatsoever with those links? i left them out because it seemed like it were a pointless tradition noone actually did anything with.

But yeah, other than that then i agree with the fillar part, the pacing might be glacial at times, and perhaps waste to much time on Sydney spassing out. But you can set your clock after the update scedule, and we are getting a full comic every single time, with no breaks or stuff from outside the comic universe for a year or so as far as i recall.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #35

Honestly, the only issue I have with the pacing is that with a twice a week update schedule, it takes forever for events to play out even when they are fairly straightforward. Lets use the super brawl as an example. That was not filler by any means. It was an epic battle and quite honestly, most of the fights took a comic or two at most to resolve and move on to the next. But because it only updated twice a week, it took a very VERY long time to finish, the better part of a year in fact. Had this been a normal comic book that would have been like, two issues. One for the general brawl and to introduce vehemence, and one for that fight and the wrapup, and noone would have complained about the pacing.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Traditionally, webcomic thread titles on this forum are just stupid jokes or puns.

It's not an indication of what direction the thread is intended to go in. It's just for fun.

Also: I use the links to previous threads in the OP sometimes, so I think they should still be there. It's Tradition™, just like the dumb joke titles.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2017-03-21 at 09:13 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Had this been a normal comic book that would have been like, two issues. One for the general brawl and to introduce vehemence, and one for that fight and the wrapup, and noone would have complained about the pacing.
    Untrue. I've binge read the entire comic twice now. It's still super slow.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Unrelated at the moment: The Lighthook orb has no fewer than 4 of those 'level of effect' lines. They're all at 1, bar the single that is at 3. Weight limit/strength of the hook is a safe guess for one of them.. any ideas on what the other ones represent? Maximum length of tentacle? Number of simultaneous tentacles allowed (Sydney already likes the lighthook, imagine how much fun she'll have if she can go all Doc Ock with them!)
    Looking closely, the Lighthook has a line connecting it to each other orb. Each line has a socket, none of which is filled. The 'hook also has three socket arcs with 5-6 sockets each. One six-socket arc has three sockets filled. Lastly, there's an unfilled single socket node. Aesthetically, the three arcs and the single node somewhat resemble a claw and a thumb. At a guess, the three arcs represent different physical capabilities of the 'hook. Raw power is probably one of these. Number of 'hooks could be another, and perhaps reach would be the final arc. The single socket likely represents a completely new function, although I've no idea what that may be.

The sockets on lines connecting the orbs would probably be synergistic powers using both orbs. For instance, Shield + Lighthook might allow Sydney to project a shield around anyone being held in the 'hook.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Fine! fine.. the people have spoken, and more than one are using the past threads.
    Links have been installed, but i were lazy about it.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

No good deed goes unpunished.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Really? has anyone ever done anything whatsoever with those links? i left them out because it seemed like it were a pointless tradition noone actually did anything with.

But yeah, other than that then i agree with the fillar part, the pacing might be glacial at times, and perhaps waste to much time on Sydney spassing out. But you can set your clock after the update scedule, and we are getting a full comic every single time, with no breaks or stuff from outside the comic universe for a year or so as far as i recall.
    I think part of the point is for finding those archived threads long after they've disappeared from the normal sub-forum for most people, if you want to see discussion surrounding a particular comic before bringing it up in regards to something recent (or even just to quote old discussions). It's not a huge problem for this particular comic, since this is only the third thread, but tracking down stuff in old Girl Genius threads will be hard enough searching the previous 20 threads for it without adding the extra steps of tracking down each thread using google.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Untrue. I've binge read the entire comic twice now. It's still super slow.
    Thrice for me (for various reasons). I think the stuff pre-big fight was paced just fine, since the "world-building exposition" stuff is more appropriate for "still setting up the story and it's world" parts of the story, and the fight itself was, for the most part, very well-paced (it seemed to drag near the end, but after reading the whole fight from beginning to end, the end of it doesn't drag as much as I recall, and I blame the additional dissatisfaction on the update schedule as well). Since the fight, though, there's been a lot of mini-arcs showing off new aspects of the world, building it up more; some of them have been weaved into the ongoing plot well enough, some...were not. No individual arc is uninteresting, to be sure, but there's enough of them that it gets grating, and the update schedule doesn't help.

As far as definitions of filler goes, the epitome of it for me is stuff like the multiple comics dedicated to introducing a dude who can make small amounts of liquids and explaining why his power isn't total BS, or the time when the character's attempts to continue the conversation was interrupted twice in the same comic, with one interruption being the fixing of a low-level wardrobe malfunction. Viewing that single comic on its own, it seems like it's attempting to cutely hang a lampshade on how the big international meeting is being delayed to explain the backstory to the one new person present, but coming after the tons of exposition that this council meeting has been preceded by, it comes off as going quite slow. This stuff isn't considered filler because it's not interesting on its own, but because it's on the table of "things that could be inconsequentially cut if it seems like the comic is dragging too much when it gets made into a graphic novel".

12. - Top - End - #42

New update and good work sydney! She is delaying it just by creating this impasse. Though i think she just pissed off the robot somehow. Nice choice too, you dont let it reassemble its weaponry if you can stop it. Makes me wonder if she should try to wrap it up in her lighthook. Basically, keep it busy without trying to actually destroy it.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Thats true enough. But it clearly has a lower damage cap than her laser beam does, going by the environmental damage which could be a big problem in a lot of fights. And too be fair, that was only the second time she has ever USED the ppo, probably the first time on purpose, so having bad aim with it is understandable. I just hope she at least TRIES the original ppo blast before giving up and going on to plan b, but im not holding my breath.
    I like how in this comic she's explicitly told they don't trust her to not mess up using the cutting beam of the PPO.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Hey, SHE dosen't trust herself not to mess it up with the cutting beam. She's learning.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

15. - Top - End - #45

Uh oh, things may get a bit more tricky now. Time to see if her shield can continue to hold up, or if there is some sort of weakness to it. Keep a hand on that com orb sydney, you may need to teleport in a hurry. She may need to teleport in a hurry anyways if the robot decides to go after the others. I think right now only her and harem are in fighting trim, and harem cant do diddly against the robot.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

Actually Harem can combine her bodies to be almost as strong as Anvil. She doesn't like doing it because she values the ability to experience and act on 5 different things at once far more than physical strength. Very sensibly most of the time since that's a unique asset nobody else can do and ArcSwat already has plenty of superstrong bricks that are more skilled at using said strength.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Maxima in 3, 2, ...

Max is mach 4 capable, the Osprey which is mach 0.5 or less is almost there.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    Actually Harem can combine her bodies to be almost as strong as Anvil. She doesn't like doing it because she values the ability to experience and act on 5 different things at once far more than physical strength. Very sensibly most of the time since that's a unique asset nobody else can do and ArcSwat already has plenty of superstrong bricks that are more skilled at using said strength.
    She is roughly 16x stronger than a regular human with one body. Thats pretty strong and all, but lets face it, if they need physical strength, sydney is a better option, seeing as her lighthook can lift 15 tons. Which is WAY more than what 16 teenagers could lift. Harem couldnt even lift 1 ton by that measurement. (Basically, im assuming an average 19 year old girl cant lift 140 pounds easily.) Anvils real strength is her kinetic absorption ability.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Sydney is the best option there because she is very safe inside of her shield, unlike people who need to grapple with murderbots.

I am still disapointed that all of Harem are not there as backup right now though, this is a freaking emergency. Especially with the last upgrade, this nicely ups the ante, and explains a little further what makes this golem so special. Just god forbid it getting more samples.

20. - Top - End - #50

Todays update is fun, its like a female achilles. "Oh so you are going to try to bury me in rubble? Thats neat. Wont work, but its a nice try. Oh too bad your whole adaptation thing was also useless. Ah well. Stick around and keep trying, im sure it will work eventually." Honestly, I would have totally used the flight orb to just hover right where the floor used to be. Let it drop from under me and be like, "Ok. . . now what?" Because now she has to blast free of rubble and hope the robot didnt wander off towards the injured and NOT functionally invulnerable party members.

21. - Top - End - #51

Next update, hmm, looks like the a team is showing up. Lets see if this turns into a master class of casual super bot destruction. Or if Anvil gets neutralized. Im honestly hoping for casual destruction just in an effort to show that vast suite of awesome powers and genre savvy or not, sydney still has a lot to learn about how to use them properly.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Well the strategy is good enough, using a distraction to land a kinetic missile on top of the Husk. Im just not certain if its a wise choice after it mimiced pixels powers. The laser mace could hurt Anvil really bad as her main defence is absorbing kinetic energy.

Else, im divided on if i want the battle to end swiftly myself now. On one hand i like the idea of it getting shown that Sydney still has a lot to learn, as well as of this fight getting wrapped up.
    On the other hand i dislike the idea of the Elite Husk being taken down so easily. Until now it has only thrown a Arc-light agent though a building and plinged ineffectively at Sydney's shield.

23. - Top - End - #53

Well the strategy is good enough, using a distraction to land a kinetic missile on top of the Husk. Im just not certain if its a wise choice after it mimiced pixels powers. The laser mace could hurt Anvil really bad as her main defence is absorbing kinetic energy.

Else, im divided on if i want the battle to end swiftly myself now. On one hand i like the idea of it getting shown that Sydney still has a lot to learn, as well as of this fight getting wrapped up.
    On the other hand i dislike the idea of the Elite Husk being taken down so easily. Until now it has only thrown a Arc-light agent though a building and plinged ineffectively at Sydney's shield.
    In its defense, it has knocked pixel, harem, and krona out of the fight in various ways. Sydney seems incapable of destroying it without creating massive amounts of havoc and destruction to the surrounding area, (If it would even work) so it has stalemated sydney. I mean, its no Vehemence, but thats not bad overall. And yeah, the laser spiked mace thing could be bad for anvil. The kinetic damage from the mace hitting her is fine, the lasers? That could be problematic.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Well.. it certainly did give Pixel a nasty surprise, but Krona is not worth much in a straight up fight, and she did more or less take herself out by falling off a building. Harem has then meanwhile been occupied playing babysitter for the rest of the team, and we have not even seen more than 1/5 of her.

it should also be commented it has newer had to deal with more than one heroine at the time. So no, i would not call it directly bad, but in no way impressive either.

25. - Top - End - #55

Well.. it certainly did give Pixel a nasty surprise, but Krona is not worth much in a straight up fight, and she did more or less take herself out by falling off a building. Harem has then meanwhile been occupied playing babysitter for the rest of the team, and we have not even seen more than 1/5 of her.

it should also be commented it has newer had to deal with more than one heroine at the time. So no, i would not call it directly bad, but in no way impressive either.
    Admittedly, aside from sydney the only heavy hitter there is pixel, so its hard to judge just how powerful it really is, but I suppose in the end it may come down to, is this meant to be a single ultra bot? Or is it the prototype for a small army of this thing? While max could probably feed any dozen of these bots its feet and make it swallow, a solid squad of these would be pretty lethal for most of the council folks at the very least. As for harem, she is of very VERY limited value in this fight. She has no offensive arsenal that could be applied here, her physical might, even with one body only is 1/15th of what sydney could manage using her light hook. Her extra inertia drop kick skill is a bad bad idea, because physics man. She will be slamming into a solid metal robot body at high speeds, im pretty sure her bones will crumple before its framework.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

The battle golem itself is probably a distraction intended to allow Sciona to get away. It'd sure be refreshing if Maxima went off and took her out while the golem fight took place.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Could the 'bot be Sciona in armour?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Im not even certain if i would call Pixe a heavy hitter, medium at best, while Sydney can barely be considdered a hitter until she has gotten some experience.
    As for Harems Inertia kick, then we got to assume her bones get a boost along with her muscles. Just like every other hero with super strenght, who otherwise would not have been able to use their power.

The battle golem itself is probably a distraction intended to allow Sciona to get away. It'd sure be refreshing if Maxima went off and took her out while the golem fight took place.
    Why do one thing when you can do two? Its most likely both a distraction and a field testing of the thing.

Could the 'bot be Sciona in armour?
    Kinda unlikely, we have seen it under construction, and it hardly fits with the tentacle arms the Husk has.

29. - Top - End - #59

Im not even certain if i would call Pixe a heavy hitter, medium at best, while Sydney can barely be considdered a hitter until she has gotten some experience.
    As for Harems Inertia kick, then we got to assume her bones get a boost along with her muscles. Just like every other hero with super strenght, who otherwise would not have been able to use their power.

Why do one thing when you can do two? Its most likely both a distraction and a field testing of the thing.

Kinda unlikely, we have seen it under construction, and it hardly fits with the tentacle arms the Husk has.
    I more meant on the team sydney was with. She is clearly the most effective fighter on the team, her laser claws sliced through the bot like butta, and she had the reflexes of an experienced fighter even if she took a nasty shot at the end there. And yeah harem gets tougher im sure, I still think she would take more damage than the robot from a terminal velocity drop kick. Even in a single body she ranks pretty low on the super strength scale compared to everyone else on that ladder.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Even in a single body she ranks pretty low on the super strength scale compared to everyone else on that ladder.
    It still leaves her decently placed as one of the strongest members on the team. And she is the third most skilled fighter as well, only surpassed by Math and Dabbler.

Else, well played to Dave, this was a twist i did not see comming. That its not a robot kinda changes everything.