New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default What are some mystic builds y'all have cooking up?

As the title ask what kind of mystic are y'all building. I had a character leave the party last game because of reasons of how he was treated. So my DM was encouraging me to roll up a mystic. Which is cool but I can't settle on any orders​, disciplines​, talents. And was looking for inspiration.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: What are some mystic builds y'all have cooking up?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    As the title ask what kind of mystic are y'all building. I had a character leave the party last game because of reasons of how he was treated. So my DM was encouraging me to roll up a mystic. Which is cool but I can't settle on any orders​, disciplines​, talents. And was looking for inspiration.
    Quick question, is a mystic something you want to play or are you making your new character a mystic because the DM encouraged you to do so? Only reason I am asking is play what you want don't worry about what people want you to play ;).

"Fear and intimidation, mostly, though a little torture here and there helps" Comic #817

Avatar drawn by: Honest Tiefling

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JobsforFun View Post
    Quick question, is a mystic something you want to play or are you making your new character a mystic because the DM encouraged you to do so? Only reason I am asking is play what you want don't worry about what people want you to play ;).
    I'm rolling up a mystic because I wanted to try it out. My stat rolls are and yes I rolled in front of my DM 12,12,17,17,17,17. Any race besides a human I always play one and want to change it up a bit.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Ok, so I actually did just try to make the super-skrull mystic and was a bit surprised by how much I liked the end result:

I assumed 3rd level (level of campaign I am currently running).

I selected Order of Wu Jen, disciplines of:
    Mastery of fire
    Mastery of force
    Nomadic Chameleon
    Brute Force

He can do powerful punches, mighty leaps, and feats of str.
    He can go invisible (even as a cantrip),and hide in plain sight.
    He can push characters and move things with telekinetic force, erect a telekinetic barrier, and grasp stuff.
    He can kill things with fire.

All staying below the 3 PP limit (for each not total).

With the mastery of fire focus and fire based energy beam talent can shoot enemies at 1d8+2 all day long, and if anyone is fire resistant just switch to different damage type.

he can't fly yet, but can pick that up with another discipline at 5th level or arcane dabbler for it at 6th level.

I also note that of his 13 different discipline/spells, only 3 use the bonus action (step from sight, brute strike, and feats of str) and I don't see myself getting conflicted much on which to use when.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Mystic build I've been looking at is Mystic 1/Kensei 5/Mystic 5/Kensei 9.

With those stats?

High Elf

STR 12
    DEX 19 (17 + 2)
    CON 17
    INT 18 (17 + 1)
    WIS 17
    CHA 12

ASIs: DEX +1/WIS +1, Resilient (CON), then whatever you want.

Go Order of the Soul Knife and name your Soul Knife a Kensei weapon. For your Disciplines, I went with Beastial Form, Nomadic Step, and Psionic Weapon.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

We're doing a Planescape one shot soon, and we can play a character from any non science fiction universe, and I'm considering being a Witch from Terry Pratchett's Discworld. Being a witch on the Disc is like 90% attitude; if everyone is terrified that you are going to hex them, you don't actually have to do a lot of hexing. I see her as using Occlude Mind a lot to make people believe things that are (mostly) true anyways, like: "Could make you a frog and wouldn't break a sweat."

In my dreams, I get to, at some point, ask the DM "Is that building sentient?"(This is Sigil, it very well could be) and then proceed to intimidate it into getting out of my way.

7. - Top - End - #7

DruidGirl

I've been messing around with a build aimed at max survivability. Notes copy-pasted below. Sorry about the lack of explanation and formatting; I'm on my phone so it's hard to rewrite it. Hoefully it makes some sense. Might come back and edt for clarity when I'm on my laptop.

Invincible Mystic

Bump con, int, dex...vhuman with res con, lucky, warcaster, dex, dex

Wu jen for L14 immunitiesans wiz spells:, shield, mirror image, counterspell

Intellect fortress for reaction saving throw boosts
    Wood and Earth focus for +1 AC and concentration resistance to b/s/p
    Diminution turn hits into misses as reactions, or conc for +5 AC
    Bestial form+2 AC and flight
    Cloak of air conc for disadv on attacks
    Precog for conc d4 bonus to attacks, checks, throws

(Adaptive Body for elemental resistances, Mastery of Force for Inertial Armor, Mastery of Ice for temp HP, mastery of Light and Dark for shadow beasts)

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

Try my Jedi build

Favorite Race for this is Eladrin, Feral Tiefling, and High Elf. Go Order of Soul Knife and have fun. Reflavor tiefling as Twi'liks or Nautolans

Disciplines by 10
    Mastery of Force (because its the FORCE and also YOU CAN FORCE CHOKE IN D&D NOW)
    Mastery of Air- for when you need to dive off buildings or AOE Force Push mooks.
    Mastery of Wood and Earth- for focus since im not grabbing iron durability, and MINDSABER THROW via animate weapon.
    Psionic weapon- because you always take this. +7 is coolio and smiting is coolioer.
    Brute Force- for when you want to combine attacking and pushing people back 140 feet into a wall, or force jump.

Take Energy beam for force lightning, Mystic Hand for manipulating things with the force, Beacon because your mindsaber glows in the dark and you can choose its color or mystic charm for the jedi mind tricks.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

I am really keen to try a Soul Knife build. With your stats you could pull off a beast of one too.

17 Wis, Int, Dex, and Con.

Taking the Immortal Diminution: You can be tiny and still do the same damage!
    Immortal Brute Force: You can leap onto enemies from up to 140ft away!

That is enough! You end up being a tiny bouncing murderball and you still have heaps of options to play with as you like:

Immortal Celerity: Crazy movement bonuses
    Wu Jen Mastery of air: Fly up to 140, also at no cost, so you can run-leap-fly for 310 movement in one turn! (while tiny)

I find the best builds (unless you are looking for min-maxing, in which case everyone here will have you well covered) reach their fantasy early and then become more flexible or give you options to specialize as you progress.

Have fun! I hope I get the chance to test Mystic myself soon.

10. - Top - End - #10

Think of a Druid 2/Immortal x, wild shape and psionics = no problem, with casting, or communicating via telepathy.

the immortals dex+con could be useful, but doesn't improve by much...
    psionics female Steeder spiders seem good.

AC 14 (15 with Immortal Durability)
    HP 30 (+ Mystic level hp with Immortal Durability + int mod temp hp/round with Psionic Resilience(@3rd levelMystic))
    Speed 30/climb 30
    STR15/Dex16/Con14
    Stealth 7
    DDark vision120
    Spiderclimb
    Leap : 90 ft vertical or horizontal
    Bite: +7 d8+3 plus 2d8 acid Con DC 12 for half
    Sticky Legs: Recharges when no one is grappled, +5 to hit, reach 5ft, target is stuck to leg, escape grapple dc 12

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I was thinking in some "more control, party help and out of combat options, less damage".

lvl 7
    Mystic - Order of the Avatar
    Forest Gnome:
    observant
    Str 8
    Dex 14
    Con 14
    Int 18
    Wis 12
    Cha 10
    Skill: Perception + Arcana
    PP: 19
    IP: 19

AC19 (or 18 without desadvantage in stealth)
    Minor illusion
    Darkvision
    Gnome Cunning
    Speak with Small Beasts
    Mystical Recovery
    Telepathy
    Strength of Mind - keep at Con
    38 PP - 6 disciplines

Talents: Mind Thrust, Mystic Charm

Disciplines (you can retrain your avatar discipline, dumb, but you can):

Mastery of Light and Darkness:
    combat focus on Light and Darkness, cast darkness first turn for 1 pp, stay inside. Be attacked with desadvantage and with Gnome Cunning, there is few options that can scare you.
    Shadow Beasts is good action option. Radiant Beam ins't good, but is a radiant option.

Nomadic Mind: focus is just to good to pass, now with one bonus action, you can have prod in any discipline.
    much non combat stuff here

Telepathic Contact: Much non combat options here, but Occluded Mind, Broken Will and Psychic Grip can handle BBEs, as Psychic Domination later.

Psionic Restoration: Save the party!

Mantle of Command: depends of your party, but movements are always great, Coordinated Movement is cheap and bonus action. Command to Strike ans (later) Overwhelming Attack can be really good with the right allies.

Psychic Disruption: Your AoE came from here, Mind Storm is great if your party (and you later) have good ST effects. Coordinated Movement can help to get allies out of AoE.
    Distracting haze is great but need conc, daze is a good option too.

You don't have much damage options other than psychic, but have plenty of effects or let party attack for you.

Other good disciplines:
    Mastery of Weather: whirlwind can change the entire table, you and your allies can auto fail (1d6 damage) and this can move you up to 40ft.
    Hungry Lightning and Lightning Leap bring some non psychic damage. Wall of Thunder can be great after whirlwind or Coordinated Movement. Thunder Clap for stun.

Nomadic Step: teleport is good, Defensive Step too There and Back Again with your movement options too, Phantom Caravan and Nomad’s Gate with Wandering Eye or Phasing Eye can break any dungeon

Psychic Phantoms: Distracting Figment is great for your shadows and if your party is melee heavy. With Mantle of Command too.
    Phantom Betrayal is great.

Psychic Assault: damages are all good, but Psychic Crush is great.

Psychic Inquisition: just for Hammer of Inquisition, if your party have nasty Wis ST effects

Diminution: Stealty!

Bestial Form: just to get no concentration flight and Tough Hide for 1h, or some "if I need it" (like breathe air and water)

Crown of Rage: Primal Fury is a good battlefield control, great with someone with polearm master (and warcaster, maybe). Punishing Fury is bonus action, great with shadows and melee party

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Porting over my 2nd ed Psionicist (psymetabolic) who had seriously good roles for 2nd ed in primary stats. He skipped 3.x and 4e. But he does have associations with Sigil factions, without the hang up of being part of them.

Psychas (shut up, I like it)
    Standard Human

Immortal Mystic lvl 5
    Acolyte (psionic temple, religionarcana/insight)

Stats
    16 Str 14 Dex 18 Con 20 Int 20 Wis 15 Chr (Int and Wis receive the ASI bump at 4th level)

Passive Wisdom: 18
    HP:54 PSP: 27 (I know it is PP, but honestly I prefer Psionic strength points over peepee)

Class Skills:
    Perception +8 Arcana +8 Insight +8 Medicine +8

Weapons: Mace, Baatorian steel short sword (2nd ed, short swords were allowed, and I stole it from a demon camp outside the Blood War)
    Armor: Hide armor, round shield (see note above)

Class features:
    Immortal Durability, Mystical Recovery, Telepathy, Psionic Resilience, Strength Of Mind, 1st ASI (Int & Wis)

Talents- Mystic Hand, Mind Slam

Disciplines- Adaptive Body, Mastery of Force, Psionic Restoration, Psionic Weapon, Third Eye

Found while he was young by a Half-giant psionic master, Psychas was extremely talented and powerful for his youth. As a pupil, Psychas was resourceful and creative, but also highly self-reliant. At the completion of his initial training, his master decided to kicksend him out across the planes to learn and grow. Where he was quickly found by a group of adventurers and joined them in course of their careers.

The elf wizard let him board with her in Sigil, mostly because of his quiet contemplative lifestyle, minimal footprint, and his culinary inventiveness in creating a breaded pie topped with sauce, cheese and various other toppings that was nearly unheard of in Sigil at the time. Otherwise, they were completely platonic (no seriously). Now the rest of the party, yeesh.
    Last edited by Typhon; 2017-03-17 at 03:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

I actually thought a Bladesinger/Soul Knife would be interesting. Haven't done too much planning into it, but another Int. based caster provides a lot of multiclass opertunities for wizards, especially with as much stuff as Mystic gets to choose from, with 6 traditions and what's essentially a separate spell list.
    Spoiler: My Favorite PC's
    Show
    Malik Hammerson-VHuman- Ranger (Hunter) 4/Cleric (War) 4: "MY LIFE SUCKS!"
    Valicus Pyr'Ticosta-High Elf-Wizard (Bladesinger) 9: "You killed my father! And Sister! And a few of my guards! Prepare to die!"
    Zarkelthore Surfacekin-Half Drow-Ranger (Hunter) 6: "What's a Sun? Why are you laughing?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

A new campaign we are starting soon will have Svirfneblin/Urchin/Order of the Awakened Mind Mystic in it, with a heavy focus on stealth and sensory abilities to serve as a pseudo-rogue. Starting Talent: Mind Thrust; Starting Disciplines: Psychic Inquisition, Precognition, Diminuation

I also know another group that is planning on having a 'blastery' Fire Gensai Wujen, but I don't know the details of the character in full

15. - Top - End - #15

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by joaber View Post
    Psychic Assault: damages are all good, but Psychic Crush is great.
    And Psychic Blast is some of the only truly unavoidable damage in the game.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I was contemplating an Awakened Mystic who believes he comes from a broken future world. Taking precognition and psychic phantoms and Crown of Despair, so he can 'share' glimpses of what he sees every day with others.

I was thinking High elf, but only because the influence for the character was Xan from Baldur's Gate.

'Onward, to futility!'
    Part-time DM, part-time player in 5e. I aim to be reasonable.
    Homebrews on the stove (5e):

Wizard School: Black Magic
    Druid Circle of the Many
    Druid Circle of the Silver Moon
    Bard College of the Chord

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    IMO you need to decide what STYLE to play and go from there.

I want to play a 'caster' style, and being the smartest person around, I want people to KNEEL before me. So I'm talking Mastery of the Wind. Using Wind Stream to knock people prone as I declare myself their new GOD!*

*I'm going to die pretty quickly, I think.
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2017-03-17 at 09:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Worked up the level 20 version with the player (though subject to change through play of course):

Svirfneblin/Urchin/Mystic
    Order of The Awakened Mind

Talents: Mind Thrust (1), Mind Meld (3), Blind Spot (10), Mystic Hand (17)
    Disciplines: Psychic Inquisition, Precognition, Diminution (1); Telepathic Contact (3), Third Eye (5), Nomadic Mind (7), Nomadic Chameleon (9), Aura Sight (12), Psychic Assault (15), Mastery of Air (18)

ASI: +2 INT (4), +2 INT (8), Svirfneblin Racial Feat (12), Skulker (16), (?Alert/Lucky/Observant?) (19)

Skills: Insight, Investigation, Perception, History, Stealth, Sleight of Hand; Thief's Tools, Disguise Kit; Common, Gnomish, Undercommon

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Mystic/Ranger(archer based) Multi Class

Disciplines: Light & Darkness, Force, & Nomadic Arrow

Force for the Armor, Light/Darkness for magic darkness sight & self Magic Darkness Area, & Arrow for nice bonus damage.

Order: Nomadic or Wu Jin work.

20. - Top - End - #20

BlackDragon

VHuman, Mystic (Order of the Nomad), Guild Artisan (Just a crafter really)

STR 8
    DEX 16
    CON 14
    INT 16
    WIS 12
    CHA 8

Skills:
    Stealth
    Persuasion
    Arcana
    Perception
    Insight
    Tinkerer's Tools

Feat: Weapon Master (+1 Dex, Shortsword and Pistol, Pepperbox
    and Musket from Matthew Mercer's Gunslinger).

Talents: Mind Meld

Disciplines: Nomadic Arrow,
    Nomadic Chameleon, Psionic Weapon.

The thing about this guy is that he can shoot you from up to 800ft without disadvantage...
    Last edited by DragonSorcererX; 2017-03-17 at 10:00 PM.
    Pardon me for any weird things, I have schizophrenia.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis_Elrod View Post
    Try my Jedi build

Favorite Race for this is Eladrin, Feral Tiefling, and High Elf. Go Order of Soul Knife and have fun. Reflavor tiefling as Twi'liks or Nautolans

SNIP

Mastery of Wood and Earth- for focus since im not grabbing iron durability, and MINDSABER THROW via animate weapon.
    Even though RAW it works, consider how weird it is to manifest a weapon out of yourself and somehow be able to animate it to attack. Just a consideration. I'm sure it can be fluffed away easy :P I mean especially since you are considering them to basically be lightsabers.

Anyway personally I was looking at Order of the Nomad and start with Wood and Earth, Nomadic Chameleon, and Nomadic Step. Basically being a Rogue without being a rogue. Wood and Earth specifically for "throwing" daggers and having them return, to be like a knife master. Would eventually also take Corrosive Metabolism, Celerity, and Psionic Weapon for sure, anything else would be based on how the character feels when actually playing as by this point that is a 7th level Mystic worth of disciplines. Could even consider multiclassing out into actual Rogue for sneak attack damage, I'd do that personally if no actual rogues in the party, maybe even take the 1st level dip sooner to start on Expertise.

22. - Top - End - #22

GnomeWizardGuy

The other one I'm toying with is a Mystic Cockroach/insect.

Immortal with Crown of Disgust, Bestial Form and Diminution at level 1, followed by Psionic weapon, Corrosive Metabolism, Master of Wood and Earth, Celerity (for scattering), Precognition, Adaptive Body and finally, when I go full Mothra - Giant Growth.

If Thri kin was playable I'd do that; failing that I think I'll make him a really ugly, uncharismatic stout halfling. Last bug standing.

Druid Circle of the Many

23. - Top - End - #23

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Beechgnome View Post
    The other one I'm toying with is a Mystic Cockroach/insect.

Immortal with Crown of Disgust, Bestial Form and Diminution at level 1, followed by Psionic weapon, Corrosive Metabolism, Master of Wood and Earth, Celerity (for scattering), Precognition, Adaptive Body and finally, when I go full Mothra - Giant Growth.

If Thri kin was playable I'd do that; failing that I think I'll make him a really ugly, uncharismatic stout halfling. Last bug standing.
    Hobbit Stout Halfling and Cockroach... the two things I hate the most (after a specific kind of people who are part of a movement in real life)... KILL IT WITH FIRE!
    Last edited by DragonSorcererX; 2017-03-17 at 10:15 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSorcererX View Post
    Hobbit Stout Halfling and Cockroach... the two things I hate the most (after a specific kind of people who are part of a movement in real life)... KILL IT WITH FIRE!
    So the Crown of Disgust is working, then? [Turns on Adaptive Body Energy Immunity...]

Druid Circle of the Many

25. - Top - End - #25

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Beechgnome View Post
    So the Crown of Disgust is working, then? [Turns on Adaptive Body Energy Immunity...]
    If we are talking aboult builds... I will shoot the disgusting insect goo out of ya! NOMADIC ARROW GUN!

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGuy

Here's something i found to be cool.
    Requires 14th level.

Bugbear Guardian Conclave Ranger 3/Immortal 11.

Take Giant Growth and Diminutive.
    Start stealthed, in tiny form. Find target.
    Psychic Focus on GGrowth.
    Go into Guardian Form.
    Use Psionic Mastery to Concentrate on both Ogre Form and Giant Form.
    Wield a reach weapon. Like a Glaive.

Become a Huge tree and smack someone 40 feet away.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis_Elrod View Post
    Here's something i found to be cool.
    Requires 14th level.

Bugbear Guardian Conclave Ranger 3/Immortal 11.

Take Giant Growth and Diminutive.
    Start stealthed, in tiny form. Find target.
    Psychic Focus on GGrowth.
    Go into Guardian Form.
    Use Psionic Mastery to Concentrate on both Ogre Form and Giant Form.
    Wield a reach weapon. Like a Glaive.

Become a Huge tree and smack someone 40 feet away.
    That is entertaining as all hell!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

I don't have everything stated out, but a Soul Knife assassin with Diminutive powers & the awareness invisability trick

29. - Top - End - #29

PaladinGuy

I tried my own thread, but got no responses after one day. Thoughts on this character? I know i want to play order of the awakened mind, just not sure what disciplines to take with it? Something to increase stealth. Master of air seems cool
    I enjoyed psionics when it was around in 2nd ed, and 3.x. right now i play a cool paladin, but if something unfortunate were to happen to him, then i will want to have a backup. No I'm not going to kill the paladin....plus the group needs a tank way more than a mystic. But, I'm gonna make one just in case.

Shortened backstory: born homeless with mom as only parent (father either killed, or raped mother...havent gotten it). At age of 4 or 5, a noble started kicking the crap out of my character (cause begging). Mom tried to intervene and noble killed her. This was jn an urban area and nobody jumped in (cause noble vs begger). Character let out a psychic scream (mental trauma), and was found huddled near dead mom and dead noble. City constable didnt know what happened and sent girl to slave mines. She had more tragedy there, for 4 years, and another psychic scream...she fled and stumbled into a monastery of mystics and monks....who all took a vow of silence.

They raised her, trained her, and took care of her as a child raised by a caring village. At 16 she sets off:

• V-Human, female.
    • Assume level 5
    • Background Urchin
    • Feat: Tough
    • Skills: V-Human (Perception); Background (Slight of Hand, Stealth); Class (Insight, History)
    • Awakened mind seems appropriate.... what else?

She will want to keep her powers hidden as long as possible. If people confuse her for a low lvl monk or fighter (she will wear robes and have a spear) great. She will know hand gestures, to speak....though most will have bo clue. Clearly she can use telepathy, but wont share that for a bit.

Id like her to be able to do some fun destructive stuff, but overall....supporting the group could be fun... or debuffing the enemies.
    Last edited by furby076; 2017-03-20 at 06:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
    I tried my own thread, but got no responses after one day. Thoughts on this character? I know i want to play order of the awakened mind, just not sure what disciplines to take with it? Something to increase stealth. Master of air seems cool
    I enjoyed psionics when it was around in 2nd ed, and 3.x. right now i play a cool paladin, but if something unfortunate were to happen to him, then i will want to have a backup. No I'm not going to kill the paladin....plus the group needs a tank way more than a mystic. But, I'm gonna make one just in case.

Shortened backstory: born homless with mom as only parent (father either killed, or raped mother...havent gotten it). At age of 4 or 5, a noble started kicking the crap out of my character (cause begging). Mom tried to intervene and noble killed her. This was jn an urban area and nobody jumped in (cause noble vs begger). Character let out a psychic scream (mental trauma), and was found huddled near dead mom and dead noble. City constable didnt know what happened and sent girl to slave mines. She had more tragedy there, for 4 years, and another psychic scream...she fled and stumbled into a monastery of mystics and monks....who all took a vow of silence.

They raised her, trained her, and took care of her as a child raised by a caring village. At 16 she sets off:

Human, female. Assume level 5. Spy or criminal background (stealth, pick locks)
    Awakened mind seems appropriate.... what else?

She will want to keep her powers hidden as long as possible. If people confuse her for a low lvl monk or fighter (she will wear robes and have a spear) great. She will know hand gestures, to speak....though most will have bo clue. Clearly she can use telepathy, but wont share that for a bit.

Id like her to be able to do some fun destructive stuff, but overall....supporting the group could be fun... or debuffing the enemies.
    I finished my mystic last night. I went with Awaken my disciplines are psychic assault, intellect Fortress, Mastery of force, psychic disruption, nomadic mind.

Other disciplines that are on my list to grab are.
    Nomadic step, mantle of awe, giant growth or nomadic Arrow, mastery of ice or fire, mantle of command.