New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Breaking a hard Caster Level cap (Su)

Or, how to make Thrall of Jubilex's Polymorph Self ability better then it already is?

Basically. I'm trying to find out if there is any way to do so. I would guess that basic CL boosters, such as the orange ioun stone, would work (maybe?) But given that it is a Supernatural ability, (as opposed to the summon abilities being Spell-like,) it seems quite difficult to give any boosts to...

So yeah; that's the crux of the question: is there any way to make ToJ's 8th level, CL8 polymorph self any more disgustingly powerful? (Anything that helps here would also help the 4th level Alter Self, but that can only really benefit from 1 level of boost.)

Thanks!
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Breaking a hard Caster Level cap (Su)

Does Reserves of Strength work with SLAs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    Does Reserves of Strength work with SLAs?
    Good question... I honestly don't know...

After reading up on the feat, from the DM side I really wouldn't have any problem allowing it to work with SLAs, or with SUAs that have any effect from caster level. It tops out at three, and there is the stun (or damage,) a horrible feat tax, and no variation of Talented to offset it (that I have found).

Spoiler: S-Blocked for space
    Show
    Also, I wouldn't necessarily be against homebrewing a version of Practiced X for SU abilities, either. There's already Practiced Spellcaster (CAr; spells) and Practiced Magic (Dungeon 116; SLAs) that are functionally identical except what they boost.

There's also this little "gem*," which (as I understand it) as written does nothing, but with a little re-write to properly address caster level (durations, area, SR, etc.)... maybe do a version for each of spell, spell-like, and supernatural abilities, each with a prerequisite of the type of "Practiced X" (Basically, turn it into an "Improved Practiced X," which would take the "+4 up to HD," and turn it into "up to HD."

Again, though, the proceeding 2 paragraphs are all about homebrew. Which, from a DM perspective, I don't see much problem with. From a player perspective, however, are there any other methods of improving a static caster level (particularly for SU)? (When I DM, I like and even encourage a certain amount of homebrew, with the expectation that what the DM gets the players can have, and vice versa. From the players side, I prefer to find what I can legally from the books, first.)

Spoiler: S-Blocked for space
    Show
    Yes, I know the source of this thing... the rest of that paragraph seems like it could be pretty reasonable, particularly since the two currently available "Practiced X" feats already target a single source of spells/spell-like abilities. They both state that if you have multiple sources, you have to choose which one it can be used with; so adding one for SU, and even a secondary level feat boosting the "+4, max HD" to "=HD" doesn't seem too bad.
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

There is an interpretation of Reserves of Strength that says that it lets you break the cap past 3 levels. For example, a Wizard 15 casts Fireball and uses Reserves of Strength to boost it up by 1 CL. Depending on your interpretation, he either does 11d6 of damage or 16d6.

Someone else can probably explain that better than I can, but that's the gist of it.
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2017-03-20 at 07:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.