Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What do you lose if some players don't take Perception proficiency?

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Indeed. I think it is a testament to the community that true trolls are notoriously hard to get rid of on the forum because they are so rare and the practices that normally help find and get them banned are prohibited so that you can't just accuse legitimate posters of doing so. It is frustrating because you can't just brush them off like in most forums because here everyone is given the benefit of the doubt.
    I generally brush them off with the ignore function. It works beautifully.
    Fudge Assistant in the Playground.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I generally brush them off with the ignore function. It works beautifully.
    I have a few that I have tried that with, but you run into threads where you simply have to listen to them because the contributions from actual posters are responding to said posts and it is best to establish context. Also that if I don't read the posts, then how will I spot the ones breaking forum rules so I can report them? Reporting is unpleasant, but a necessary evil to make sure the forum remains the idealistic bastion it sort of is.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair14 View Post
    Guides are made by min-maxers trying to eeek every advantage out of a class/race. Not sure why people do that since we are not playing a competitive game. I actually had one of my players bitching about us doing a PF game when I said it only takes like 20 minutes to make character and he complained it took far longer as you have to plan the character out over the long term and so on. Dude, the average campaign only lasts 5-7 levels from start, what long term are you talking about and since when is anyone concerned over who is out damaging who?

Yes perception is a useful skill, but lets face it, in 5e everyone can do everything. The skill set(which I am very vocally against) allows anyone to roll perception whether they are proficient or not, usually its only a minor modifier. Its why I have gotten to the point of making DCs higher for non-proficient characters but I am sure most people don't do that.

So what will a party lose if everyone doesn't take it? Not a whole lot. Someone will take it and there's your scout. Not taking it means the character is simply better at something else maybe that no one else took.
    Well said. Agree with all of that. If people start obsessing about Perception checks etc, just DO something to keep things moving.