New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Cutting Early Access Garbage Off At The Knee

Because seriously, screw that stupid garbage. The only "early access" effect you should have access to are stuff like Precocious Apprentice, where that's actually the point.

=---=

• Any feature or effect that grants you a bonus spell slot cannot grant you a spell slot of a level higher than what is indicated on the relevant "spells per day" table for that particular spellcasting class.
    • Similarly, any prerequisite that says "able to cast spells of Xth level" now instead reads "knows and is able to cast spells of Xth level".
    • Items and temporary effects cannot be used to meet prerequisites.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Cutting Early Access Garbage Off At The Knee

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Because seriously, screw that stupid garbage. The only "early access" effect you should have access to are stuff like Precocious Apprentice, where that's actually the point.

=---=

• Any feature or effect that grants you a bonus spell slot cannot grant you a spell slot of a level higher than what is indicated on the relevant "spells per day" table for that particular spellcasting class.
    • Similarly, any prerequisite that says "able to cast spells of Xth level" now instead reads "knows and is able to cast spells of Xth level".
    I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. Could you give an example? Also, is this a Homebrew/Homerule, or just a general complaint? Are you looking for RAW ways of telling a player no instead of just saying no? I guess what I'm asking is, "What are you asking with this post?"
    "I'd like to cast Feather Fall for when my team lets me down."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to. Could you give an example? Also, is this a Homebrew/Homerule, or just a general complaint? Are you looking for RAW ways of telling a player no instead of just saying no? I guess what I'm asking is, "What are you asking with this post?"
    I think that since it is in the homebrew design it means that this thread is about fixing it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    I think that since it is in the homebrew design it means that this thread is about fixing it.
    Bingo - I saw someone crash a thread with "well, Wizards get 9th level spells at 1st level", and I thought that that was just not on. Not on at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

How about "able to cast spells of Xth level by virtue of class level and feature"?

I'm guessing an example for the above can be Ring of Evasion.
    I prefer a rule that says "items don't grant features. Ever".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Bingo - I saw someone crash a thread with "well, Wizards get 9th level spells at 1st level", and I thought that that was just not on. Not on at all.
    Did they only make the claim that Wizards can cast 9th level spells at 1st level; or, did they back it up somehow? Because, Wizards are only able to cast 1st level spells at first level. And, yes, I know there's a feat that allows first level characters to cast a second level spell a day, that eventually gets turned into a regular spell slot once they get high enough, but second is far from 9th.
    "I'd like to cast Feather Fall for when my team lets me down."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    Did they only make the claim that Wizards can cast 9th level spells at 1st level; or, did they back it up somehow? Because, Wizards are only able to cast 1st level spells at first level. And, yes, I know there's a feat that allows first level characters to cast a second level spell a day, that eventually gets turned into a regular spell slot once they get high enough, but second is far from 9th.
    Its following that path that leads to 9ths at lvl 3. I cant remember where it was, I'm fairly certain it was on ye olden wizard boards on exactly how to do it but it takes flaws and VERY RAW interpretations.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's all good fun in character optimization exercises, which tend to play on the cutting edge of the RAW. I wouldn't object to any DM telling a player no though.

Personally, most of my custom system homebrew that uses features like this tends to function on a Character Level or Class Level requirement, or makes a hard delineation between class spells and "bonus" spells. It does make this a lot easier to handle.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

In Pathfinder, up until like a year ago, people used to take racials that granted spells to qualify for Theruge prestige classes because it counted as a 2nd or 3rd level caster class and caster level.
    Last edited by Almarck; 2017-03-22 at 10:12 AM.
    I possess the Addicted to Editing flaw. I have edit my posts 3 seconds after posting them for 10 minutes.

Current Projects:

Backing Dragon: the Inheritance - World of Darkness Fan game where you play a dragon
    Mutant - Be a horrible abomination of a player character. Comes in a variety of flavors.
    Proprietor - Bring a House to a Sword fight! Be the adventuring interior/exterior decorator. Use siege weapons, customize your hour.

Extended Signature