New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Eberron: Winter [IC]

Winter

The lightning rail cleaved through the falling snow as it shook and rattled down the trail of conductor stones. Each stone passed sent up a jet of electricity to touch the reinforced wagons as they sped above it, propelling it through the frozen, silent countryside. Ice crystals stuck to the heated windows and slowly melted, only to be replaced by more ice and snow.

"...and there were always some that wanted to open a station house at Traelyn, though mostly for vanity's sake. Land route through Sigilstar, ships through Flamekeep...no profit to be found in Traelyn." The well-dressed man sitting next to one of the windows pauses his lecture to look outside but not for the view. He squints at the weak reflection and pushes his black hair out of his face again. "Of course, that's one debate that's finished once and for all. Not much left of Traelyn that's fit for one not born of ice." He glances back at you all and nods to himself before droning on again about the Lighting Rail. Kellian d'Orien, short of stature and charm but well-versed in Orien House lore, is the man caught in between the three forces that brought each of you to be sitting in a jostling lighting rail coach, just hours outside of Flamekeep and more hours to go until the stop at Sigilstar.

The Cardinals of the Silver Flame - the first force - put increasing pressure on House Orien - the second force - to damn well do something about the third force, the group of elementals and fiends that have repeatedly and successfully attacked the Lightning Rail in Thrane. Years ago such intervention by the Church would have been unnecessary as House Orien vigorously defended it's routes. The frostfell changed that, as it's changed many things, and as long as the train keeps rolling the House doesn't seem to care too much about what happens to those on it. Whether the attackers knew of that attitude or had some other reasons for doing so, each attack only temporarily disabled the train, and enough were left alive to get it running again to safe station.

Kellian stops his lecturing mid-sentence and looks up, eyes wide. "Ohhh...maybe that's where these fiends are hiding out!" He says, then looks around and regains his composure. "Well, it's an abandoned town not far from the stones rail. As good a place as any." Kellian's shared many such 'insights' with you since you boarded the train at Flamekeep. Your respective contacts in the Church and the House told you that Kellian would provide your intelligence briefing en route, yet you've found it to be lacking in actionable intelligence and the opposite of brief. What conclusive information he has told you just barely confirms some of the rumors that were being shared about the attacks. Four attacks in the past two weeks, each successive attack happening 4 days after the previous; today would be the day for the fifth attack if the pattern holds true. The manner of attack has been different each time, though their target has always been the cargo holds in the rear of the train. First they blockaded the stones route with ice walls, forcing the train to come to a stop. The second time they flew onto the train as it traveled, not bothering to stop it while they searched the holds. The third time they laid a magical trap on the stones that overcharged the conductors and shorted them out briefly, forcing the train to coast to a stop. The fourth attack they appeared out of thin air into the cargo hold, apparently via teleportation.

The attackers so far haven't said a word to anyone, though some of them are likely capable of speech. The ice creatures ignored anyone not attacking them as they tore up the holds while the fiends seemed to kill at random among the unlucky passengers and guards in the nearby wagons. They escape each time under the cover of the swirling snow, heading eastward. "...so I told him I'd meet him in Sigilstar, and then my Aunt sent for me asking me to meet you all here, which lucky for her..." Kellian pauses as he realizes that he's rambling on. "Ahem. What was your question about, again?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Lighting Rail picture. It's a 16 hour journey from Flamekeep to Sigilstar. It's currently 8 in the morning and you've been traveling for an hour and a half.

"We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron: Winter [IC]

One of the larger figures, though surprisingly not the largest if one took more then height into account, watched the man known as Kellian d'Orien with a mix between feigned interested and sleep. Baash was reminded of one particular teacher he had learned under back when he was an acolyte, a man who was capable of such long speeches in such empty tones that the Dragonborn had never been more rested then after classes with him. Unfortunately for all listening Kellian seemed to have a bit more energy then Baash's old teacher and sleep seemed more difficult, at least for Baash.

Baash once more turned to look at those assembled. It was an eclectic group to say the least. Half of them Baash knew well, having either served with or under them many times in the past. The other half Baash had never seen before arriving at the station and he already had an impression of competence and strength from each one. They were strange but, if anything, that only lent to their presence. Still, it could be for show. He was happy that there were two others here he knew he could rely upon.

Only one being was missing, as far as Baash's sensibilities went, and he was almost grateful that Yun had decided to stay in the stable car instead of in this one. It would have been very cramped otherwise.

The Dragonborn shifted in his seat as he glanced out the glass windows. The speed at which they were traveling had always astounded him. He knew something of magic, or at least the shaping of it, but this mechanism was far beyond what he understood. He might have been more interested in what Kellian was saying if he talked about how the train worked. Instead the most interesting thing about the trip thus far, aside from the strange mercenaries, was the view outside.

It wasn't a happy view but that didn't necessarily make it uninteresting.

He turned back to the wagon's interior soon enough, having had his fill of the bleak world outside. "I asked," Baash began again, now that Kellian had finally settled down for a moment, "If you would be willing to wear one of these..." For the third time since coming onto the train Baash offered the man a small insignia bearing the symbol of the Silver Flame. He had offered one to each of the group in turn, explaining their purpose, but each time he tried with the man before him another tangent would begin.

Baash respected that Kellian was trying to be helpful. He even respected the man's obvious, if rambling, knowledge about the area. With all that said Baash had dealt with patients who were missing limbs that were less noisy and more coherent. And those people Baash could always give medicine to help them sleep. Before Kellian could go off on another tangent he quickly explained to the man, for his benefit, what it did. "If you are wearing it and within a quarter mile of me, some of my healing will still be able to reach you. It is a precaution. I hope you do not have to get involved in the fighting to begin with. All the same, just in case..."

The small insignia was a pin of silver crafted in the shape of a single flame, the kind one might see from a candle. Despite that there was clear value in the craftsmanship of the piece.

Spoiler: OOC/For Party Members to Read
    Show
    As mentioned in the post, Baash has offered an insignia to everyone in the party. You can take it or leave it, it is a religious symbol, but if you're wearing it then one of Baash's mass healing spells will be able to affect you. If you want an extra one for a mount feel free to ask so I can note it on my character sheet.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Braventooth

The shifter stood near the window. Senses tingling and hair standing on end as they whizzed over the stones. He looked more savage than he was, wild hair held back in crude braids framing a weather beaten face with piercing golden eyes staring out of a web of dark ink tatoos. The rest of him wasn't much cleaner, heavy winter clothes (same as everyone) and strange armour made of thick leather leaves concealed the strong muscular frame and a knobbled wooden club hung at his waist.

The rail represented much of what he disliked, the use of magic as convenience, the tearing up of the land and the loss of the wild edges. But he knew now with Irisien causing havoc how important it was to keep them running to keep people safe. He ignored the conversation for the most part keeping watch. Only shaking his shaggy head politely to the scaled Thranite. "A kind offer. But with the history between that symbol and my people, a history that haunts us still I will not wear that. Please do not be offended, you have shown every courtesy". Musing on the companions he glides over to the warforged a nod and a smile. "I hope this is not a wild chase and comes to naught my friend. But don't get used to this, next time we try and hunt down the hands of Angorork I'll be running in the snow. It is a shame Rock could not join us. I'd feel calmed with his adamantine bulk. He is busy, an order from a Cardinal no less, a three foot crystal flame to inspire the people." the inflexion from the shifter at the end was deliberate, he often found the church nobility confused between what they wanted and what the common person wanted - usually food!

Spoiler: @Peaceful Oak
    Show

Hope you don't mind. I assumed you'd know a warforged gem smith I had included in my background

Looking back to the warforged he shrugs. "If nothing happens today I'm planning on heading to the fields tomorrow. Another standing bringing warmth and food, but to concentrate company to guard would be helpful. "

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

He sometimes cruises farms with control temp to make it warmer and plant growth to help people growing crips in barns with glass roofs

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Barricade

The tall metallic figure stands at attention, gleaming white in the natural logarithm guy from the windows. Adorned in little beyond a serviceable belt, the warforged makes obvious the combative purpose of the trip (particularly given the large black pole arm held at attention in its hands). At the moment, it's steady gaze is fixed on the representative of house Orien.

"Thank you so much for sharing your story and insight with us, I'm sure that this will be invaluable to our coordinated efforts to resolve this current misfortune. I do wonder, how do you suppose the fiends will attack this time?"

Turning slightly to include the White Flame healer, he nods and gestures to the pin on his belt. "Yes, Mr. D'Orien, you should really take one of these fine pins. I'm sure the healing will be of even more use to you than it will be for me."

Barricade claps a hand on Braventooth's shoulder as he approaches, gently enough to not hurt (having learned that lesson in the past). Though the warforged face cannot show expression, his voice warms slightly and becomes slightly less polite. "I'm happy you decided to come on this venture, Braventooth, even if Rock couldn't. With luck, we shall defeat and capture the fiendish bastards responsible. Did I say that right? In any case, if we have nothing else to do I'd be happy to guard your back while you make things grow. At the least, this could serve as a decent plowshare. I must say, the process of growth fascinates me."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    His voice is a cross between C3P0 and that murder-bot from the KoToR games.

I'm taking 10 on Spot and Listen, always focused on the task at hand. My metallic mount is waiting inactive in the stable car.
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2017-03-22 at 08:54 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Drego

The old man sat reclined in one of the cushy seats. His eyes were closed, but he listened to Kellian d'Orien drone on and on. He had every intention of sleeping or feigning sleep until they either reached their destination or found themselves under attack. He opened one eye just enough to see d'Orien carrying on and silently wished for an attack.

For his part Drego was quite relaxed. There was a certain degree of nerves that usually came with this sort of mission, too many unknowns, but he'd made peace with being left in the dark long ago. Surely once they met the fiends some member of this motley crew could identify them and then they'd know as much as they needed to get the job done. Though something did cross his mind.

"What, exactly, is being transported and stolen?" He spoke without opening his eyes or sitting up, but his voice cut loudly into the conversation.
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2017-03-23 at 06:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

The heavily armored half-orc accepts the pin with thanks. "If nothing happens today, I should be able to learn something with the Flame's aid tomorrow morning," he rumbles. He briefly considers whether to try to address Braventooth's words, but quickly decides silence is the best option in these awkward circumstances.

7. - Top - End - #7

Lightning Rail, Thrane

"Oh, that's what you were talking about." Kellian says, accepting the insignia with a gleeful smile. "I do so love religious trinkets, I've managed to keep hold of my collection since the war ended." He leans forward, excited to talk about another of his hobbies. "I've got this dull little gear that some say - " He cuts himself off as he glances up at the warforged, moments before he blurbs out about the Becoming God. "Well, it's just a bit of odds and ends. Thank you." He says and pockets the insignia.

"Attack?" He asks and looks at Barricade. "Today?" He says and turns to Braventooth. He waves a hand and shakes his head. "No, I've got a pretty good feeling that they're done with all that business. We're here as moral support, I suppose, since the real threat is over. A show of force to reinstill confidence in the paying traveler." He says, nodding to himself. "Ah, yes." He says to Drego and holds up a finger. "When Auntie told me...I mean, when the House told me of the mission, I requested a copy of the inventories for the days of the attack." He says and digs into his nearby satchel. "Managed to get today's as well, though there's no more danger of course. Here. I looked through them, nothing worth stealing on any of them."

He hands the sheaf of papers over to whomever wants them and turns back to the window, fixing his hair again. Fifteen pages in total, each report is 3 pages long and describes that particular day's freight and steerage for the trip from Flamekeep to Sigilstar. The inventory shows common trade goods and expected luxury items, and nothing on any of the pages would be worth enough coin to entice such dedicated robbers.

Spoiler: Spot DC 15
    Show
    Each paper has the page number and number of pages in the daily report; each report is missing the 4th page.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2017-03-22 at 07:11 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

8. - Top - End - #8

"Why would they have stopped?" Matai asks. He'll look at the report, but not immediately unless no one else reaches for it.

9. - Top - End - #9

Lightning Rail, in Thrane

"Because my Aunt said that they had stopped." Kellian answers without looking away from the window. "I just happened to be headed to Sigilstar myself so that's why I'm chaperoning this goodwill mission from the House." He says and you can almost see him roll his eyes in the windows reflection. The wagon is jolted with a rough force and the shock from the conductor stones is brighter than normal for a moment before the wagon settles back down to it's normal jostling.

"Missing conductor stone." Kellian says. "The adjacent stones discharged extra energy to cover it's absence. Normally we'd have it repaired quickly, but..." He says and gestures out the window to the fields of snow and ice.

Spoiler: Sense Motive 15
    Show
    Kellian really believes that there's no danger anymore. You also get the sense that he doesn't seem concerned about the attacks, as they happened to other people and have been a minor annoyance at best to himself.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2017-03-22 at 07:58 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Baash raises a brow but says nothing, at least not right away. Creatures of evil were never things to underestimate, in his experience, but insulting yet another noble and for no reason at all would not help him in the long run. He had the feeling that this one was less malicious and more ignorant. Some might argue that that was worse but Baash had always held that intentions counted for something. They did not forgive mistakes, but they still mattered a little.

Instead of immediately speaking, he turned to look around for anyway to get outside and get a better look. Even if the noble was right this time there was no harm in checking. Unused to the train itself and unable to find anything easier then the doors, he quickly turned his attention back too the man. "Be that as it may," Baash began, his tone polite and diplomatic "It would hardly do for mercenaries of any sort to shirk duties. And we of the church are much the same in that regard. Patrols from here to the Cargo and back and checking on any sorts of strange noises is our job. Is there a way to easily access the outside?"

Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+20)[40] to be polite and diplomatic.
    Last edited by M. Arillius; 2017-03-22 at 08:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Kheldarath had, very shortly after their lightning rail departed Flamekeep, found a place to sit as far away from Kellian as was possible, where he had remained quietly for most of the hour since. In short order, he found that the man’s droning and the rattling of the wagons and the echoing howl of the wind whipping past were indistinguishable as he rested his head against the glass window. The rhythm of it braced him against every mention of “my Aunt” or “my House” that he overheard in spite of himself. Each time, it drew the slightest wince that he was glad no one else could see, even if it really was too warm in the private coach to keep his hood raised and his scarf wrapped around his face just for the sake of politeness. Yet the clothes and the conversation were not the only reasons for his discomfort, not the only reasons that his hair was standing on end. ‘Something wrong?’ Only the quiet drone of the lightning rail answered him.

Noting then that Kellian had stopped talking (finally), Kheldarath stood up and stretched languidly, as if waking up, before moving to attend the others in the wagon. Amidst the storm of sudden and spirited conversation, he noticed the collection of silver pins that many of them wore — some more proudly than others. ‘How barbaric,’ was his immediate reaction, automatic and unbidden, and he continued striding down the aisle without sparing more that brief moment’s thought. A few steps more and he faltered. Surely he needn’t still hold their altavars gods in such poor regard? ‘And yet,’ he thought, ‘the shifter has refused one, as well. Curious.

As soon as he had rejoined the group, he seized the opportunity to continue not talking to, or otherwise much acknowledging, the existence of his employer(’s representative): he took the proffered sheaf of papers and began to examine them. At first look, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. The question of what these things were worth was beyond him, but neither did anything strike him as being overtly valuable to the thinking creatures of Risia or anyone acting on their behalf. It was only when he was sure that he had missed something that he started to read more closely, and it was only when he found two pages stuck together that that something caught his attention. Though he doubted the man would appreciate it, given his dismissiveness and otherwise total lack of regard for what was surely a serious matter, Kheldarath nevertheless offered the bundle back to Kellian and said, matter-of-factly, “Your reports are missing every fourth page.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2017-03-23 at 11:13 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

"There's the doors, of course." Kellian says with a smug smile. "As authorized agents of House Orien, albeit temporarily, you are allowed to travel through the other wagons if you wish to inspect them or cheer up the passengers. The conductor and guards have been briefed on your presence and will open the doors for you, save for the House and Conductor's wagon." Kellian glances up at the ceiling. "If you meant the roof, there are ladder rungs at each doorway..." He says and chuckles. "Though I don't think you'll find the roof of a speeding Lightning Rail to be very interesting, especially given the weather conditions."

"Missing pages?" Kellian says and frowns, then digs into his satchel. "I thought that was all of them..." He searches through his bag and frowns again, then shrugs. "I guess the station agent forgot them when he gave them to me. He did seem a bit in a rush. Still, poor behavior. I'll be sure to inform my Aunt of his lack of attention to details."

Spoiler
    Show
    Train Layout.

There are 13 wagons on this train, plus the engine.

Wagon 13. Caboose/Freight.
    Wagon 12. Freight.
    Wagon 11. Private Car [Current Location].
    Wagon 10. Stable.
    Wagon 9. Second Class Dining Car.
    Wagon 8. Second Class.
    Wagon 7. Second Class.
    Wagon 6. Guard/Armory.
    Wagon 5. First Class Freight.
    Wagon 4. First Class Dining Car.
    Wagon 3. First Class.
    Wagon 2. House Orien Private Coach.
    Wagon 1. Conductor's Wagon.
    Engine.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Barricade

The gleaming warforged reaches out and pokes the House Orien representative with a heavy finger.

"Funny, I've never seen such a life-like automaton before! Truly marvelous invention." The words are spoken sincerely and in a cheerful voice. He turns summarily and faces Braventooth and the rest. "I will go and look to the roof and outside. I'll report back should anything of note occur." That said, he strides to the door and opens it, stepping through.

Once outside, he glances around and will climb up the ladder so that he can see the top of the train.

14. - Top - End - #14

Matai stops himself from laughing. While he is, without letting it show, thoroughly annoyed with the fool, he sees little to gain in being undiplomatic about it. "How long has the conductor stone been missing?" he asks, primarily as a distraction.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Drego nodded to Barricade as he headed to the door. "If you see anything urgent stomp on the roof and we'll come running." Finally done feigning sleep, the old man sat up and rifled through the papers.

"So... Missing pages. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they aren't colluding with the fiends, but it seems likely something is being shipped that somebody wants kept quiet. Do we have today's manifest? We should go look for unlisted cargo."
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Braventooth

the shifter stands at the window watching the snow roll past. Sad about the loss of the people, their livestocks and the rich farmlands that had covered this area. Although he and his kind had not been welcome - indeed, his clan had been paid by Aundair to scout out the Thranish lines and armies and do battle against them. Then, with the coming of the winter they had needed help so he had to step in and help. The missing conducter stone leaves him lurching slightly as he grins a long toothed grin at the warforged. "I'd be smoother on my own wings eh Barricade?"

Looking around he speaks up loudly. "If they've not attacked any of the cars in particular may as well wait here. When we hear the screams we can respond. Better than guessing wrong. If not we should be one per carriage to allo us to blunt the attack. But, if we do best get ready to fight along for a minute or two eh?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Baash nodded at Drego, agreeing with his assessment. "The ways of the Houses can be... mysterious. It could also simply be a matter of smuggling as well. A few bribes to the right person and a page goes missing."

His attention turns to the shifter and he shakes his head slowly, "They target at least the cargo holds each time." He knew that Kellian's rambling was hard to listen too but he had hoped for at least a little professionalism from the mercenary. This one in particular had refused the pin as well. Thankfully he hadn't refused Baash's ward as well, or he would have been further exposed in any battle they had. It was difficult working with people outside the church. Hopefully the man would make up for that fact in other ways, when the time came.

He turned to Kheldarath and held his hand out for the sheets. "With those, we can try and guess which cargo is not listed." Whether Kheldarath offered them to Baash or turned to join them, the Dragonborn creature, with his white plated scales, would turn toward the door that lead to the cargo hold, assuming it was the freight section. With the warforged checking the roof it seemed like the best place for Baash to be, and it sounded like Drego would be joining him.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Kheldarath matched Kellian’s frowns with a wry one of his own, but said nothing as the man shuffled through his satchel and produced nothing else of value. This was going to be a long trip to Sigilstar, made even moreso because of his fellow traveling companions. The warforged headed up to the roof, where the poor conditions couldn’t be making visibility very good; and the shifter made a very loud remark that implied he hadn't paid attention to the briefing; and the lizardman(?) made an ill-considered comment about the ethics of their employer’s operations, while in earshot of a representative of said employer. He sighed quietly and offered no resistance to the cargo records being taken out of his hands, mostly because he had taken a moment to memorize today's first-class freight manifest while the others were talking.

We’re already near the rear of the train,’ he thought, ‘and now we know that we don’t have a complete accounting of the cargo.’ But since it seemed that the lizardman was going to search the freight wagons, Kheldarath decided to act on his instinct and head towards the front of the lightning rail. “I will question the guards at the armory wagon,” he said quietly, and to no one in particular. “Perhaps one of them has survived a previous attack on this route,” he reasoned, “and we ought to coordinate a defense with them should the worst happen.
    Last edited by Failed Phantasm; 2017-03-27 at 10:08 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Kellian jerks back from Barricades touch as if he'd been shocked. He glares at the warforged and narrows his eyes. "That's truly amusing coming from someone who had to be told they were free." Kellian sneers at Barricade as he passes. The door slides open and a blast of freezing air rushes in and sweeps through the wagon before Barricade closes it. Though the metal rungs of the ladder are slick with ice, Barricades traction claws make the climb easy. Rising his head above the top of the wagon he's assaulted by the frigid air rushing past him but his hardened construct body is resilient to the weather.

The western view is a never-ending cascade of snowy hills that stretch as far as he can see. No towns, no roads, no animal life visible, just miles of frozen snow and ice shining bright with the reflected glare of the sun. No one else is visible on the roofs of wagons. The arc discharge from the conductor stones seems more dangerous viewing it outside the safety of a wagon but the arcs stay beneath the floor of the train. The eastern view is more interesting; the burned and abandoned city of Shadukar, across the finger of Scions sounds, is faintly visible through the falling snow. The city is too far away to make out any details but the outline of the city on the hill is enough to recall the terrible battle and slaughter that took place there in 961 YK when Cyran and Karrnathi forces locked the gates and set the city to the torch, killing thousands of civilians.

The southward line of conductor stones is mostly hidden by the snow until they're activated by the approaching train and energize. As Barricade watches the flashes he sees a different flash of light, this time reflected off an airship flying high, coming from the south. The airship is northbound and appears to be following the line of conductor stones. If it holds true to it's speed and direction it should intercept the train in a few minutes.

"That stone?" Kellian asks Matai in return. "Who knows." He says and waves a hand. "Could be a day, could be a month, we just don't have the manpower to - colluding with the fiends? Are you serious?" Kellian asks and stares at Drego in disbelief. "Can't imagine where they dregged you all from..." he says under his breath and then shakes his head. "You've got today's list, by all means, stick your nose where it doesn't belong." He says and braces himself for the impact of freezing air as Drego and Baash leave the wagon.

The door handle to the freight wagon is frozen solid but the door opens after a few hard tugs. The wagon has shelving installed along the walls and large boxes chained to rings set into the floor to keep the cargo from shifting. The temperature control is not as pleasant inside the freight wagon as it was inside Kellian's private wagon but it's enough to ward off the worst of the cold. Cargo manifest in hand, the pair quickly manage to identify everything from the list, a task made easier by the light shipment today. The freight wagon is only half-full and everything they find matches with the list, everything except for the small crate crafted of soarwood that Drego found hiding behind a stack of heavy blankets. Small and light enough to hold in two hands, the crate has no serial markings on it, nor stamps of postage or address.

Kellian sighs. "Like I keep telling you..." he says to Braventooth. "There's no more attacks. It's all finished. My Aunt said - " His last remarks are cut off by the blast of cold as Kheledraath leaves the wagon. "Nevermind." He says and throws his hands up in defeat, then pulls his cloak tighter around him.

The stables hold only two inhabitants as Kheldarath passe through, one celestial, one mechanical, neither one appearing to be much interested in him. The Second Class cars are a different story, filled with travelers, both families and businessfolk. The people are clustered together in their own groups and keeping to themselves. While a ride on the lightning rail is normally be a pleasant opportunity to trade stories and meet folk, the people here are much more reserved, eyeing Kheldarath as he moves between them and waiting for him to pass before resuming their hushed conversations. The tension and apprehension in the passengers is made even more clear by the stark contrast of the paired House Guards that keep watch in each wagon. Dressed in the livery of House Orien and armed with sheathed swords, the guards seem totally unaware of the attitude of their passengers and rest easy at their posts, smiling and waving at Kheldarath as he passes.

Passing through the third such wagon of anxious passengers and carefree guards, Kheldarath feels a tingling at the base of his neck. Something isn't right with the guards behavior, almost as if they were under an enchantment of some kind. The guard at the door of wagon 7 puts his hand on the door and shakes his head. "Sorry friend, the armory is off-limits to passengers. The dining car is open if you haven't had your fill. Back that way." He says and nods back the way Kheldarath came.

"Well, aren't you two going to go somewhere also and let even more warm air out?" Kellian says to Braventooth and Matai. "Just wait til my Aunt hears about this horrid trip." He mumbles before reaching into his satchel and pulling out a well-thumbed book.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wagon 13. Caboose/Freight.
    Wagon 12. Freight. [Dregos, Baash]
    Wagon 11. Private Car. [Kellian, Braventooth, Matai. Barricade on roof.]
    Wagon 10. Stable.
    Wagon 9. Second Class Dining Car.
    Wagon 8. Second Class.
    Wagon 7. Second Class. [Kheldarath]
    Wagon 6. Guard/Armory.
    Wagon 5. First Class Freight.
    Wagon 4. First Class Dining Car.
    Wagon 3. First Class.
    Wagon 2. House Orien Private Coach.
    Wagon 1. Conductor's Wagon.
    Engine.

Barricade: Right now you're basically still on the ladder, poking your head up. If you want to gamble about on the roof we'll need to start making Climbing and Balanced checks.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Braventooth

The shifter glanced at the strange House agent. He couldn't put his finger on it but the man was "odd". Ignoring him the shifter continued to wait, staring out the window as he looked at the white world beyond. The ruins of Shadukar now lumps in the snow hiding that shame. An event in the war he was glad to have played no part in.

Spoiler: Braventooth
    Show

Spot (1d20+16)[19]

Hps 108/108 Saves +12/9/11
    AC 25 (Touch 18, FF25*)

Effects
    Cold res 5, Uncanny dodge, Spirit totem (+2Str), Reroll Will vs Enchant, lowlight
    Shifting (0/22 used)

Spells
    P.Hunter (+5 climb/jump/swim)
    P.Instinct (+5 survival, initiative)
    Endure elements

21. - Top - End - #21

"Good idea," Matai replies, his tone suggesting that he didn't hear the sarcasm. Being diplomatic will be less unpleasant if there's more space between me and this idiot while I'm doing it.

He'll go to join Baash at the freight wagon.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

"Five silver says they picked that kid for this specifically for his naivety," Drego said as he pushed heavy blankets out of the way to get to the unlisted soarwood crate. He pulled a dagger as he sidled up next to the crate. "I think we have an obligation to know what we're dealing with, don't you?" With some effort he set to prying the crate open.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

"No bet. With our luck, he also pissed someone off and they're hoping he meets a fiend on this voyage." The ways of nobles were mysterious and horrible in equal turn, as far as Baash had seen. Certainly there had to be a few who were actually noble, lest the name itself be a lie, but even then it was possible the first batch just called themselves that to trick people. "I wish I could say he was harmless but even ignorance has a price..."

Baash sighed as he began the search and it wasn't until Drego dragged out the strange box that anything of note seemed to happen. When the man made his point about the inside of the box, Baash did not argue against it. He did hold out a hand though. "Before you do that, give me a moment. It may be trapped... or at least secured... by some magical means."

The Dragonborn knelt down beside the box opposite Drego and cast his spell. Hopefully if there was magic he would be able to discern what it did.

Show
    Baash will cast detect magic to try and see if there's... magic.
    Spellcraft (1d20+14)[23] if there is to identify it.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Men like him make me wonder if the Lord isn't right. At the least, this cold has lifted us up... and yet still they hate. Barricade makes the sound of a sigh, as he has heard others do when thinking heavy thoughts. He focuses his gaze on the airship, looking for any signs of who might be crewing the vessel. An airship -would- explain how things get on and off so fast...

He gives the wall of the train a heavy kick, hoping to gain the attention of those within.

25. - Top - End - #25

The approaching airship offers up no secrets to Barricade. He can't make out through the thick falling snow what flag it's flying under or even if it is flying any colors at all. Kellian winces as the wagon thuds, stares at the ceiling and turns to Braventooth. "Would you please go find out what that metal hunk is doing to my wagon?" He says before returning to his book.

Baash's divination reveals no magical aura of any kind upon the box and Drego picks open the lid as Matai comes in, accompanied by a blast of frigid air. When the box opens Baash's magical vision is overwhelmed by the sudden intensity of power radiating off the fist sized stone sitting in the box. All the insides of the box are lined with a thin sheet of lead though now with the top removed Baash can sense the immense energy captured within the stone. The stone itself is a rough chunk of amber, shot through with veins that pulse with a purple light.

Spoiler
    Show
    Baash can determine no schools of magic for the stone. It's aura strength is Overwhelming.

Spoiler: Knowledge Arcana, Nature or Dungeoneering DC 15
    Show
    The stone is a Khyber Dragonshard though you don't know why there are veins of purple light (that feature is not common to Khyber Shards).

Spoiler: Knowledge Arcana or Nature 20
    Show
    The purple veins in the stone are reminiscent of an aberrant dragonmark. How or why a stone is displaying evidence of an aberrant dragonmark is unknown to you.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2017-03-30 at 06:26 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Baash quickly moves to cover his eyes, as if he were protecting them from a glaring sun. It does nothing to prevent his magical senses from overflowing with power however and he spends a moment simply staring at the stone in the box in awe. His mind quickly catches up, however, and he shakes himself free of his stunned silence. "I'd suggest closing the box immediately. Whatever it is, the lead in the box keeps it shielded, and I don't think I want anyone else seeing this until we can confirm with the rest. Maybe one of them can tell us what it does."

The veins running through the stone did not give Baash a good feeling but, unfortunately, his training in the areas of magic was on of a more traditional kind. His voice lowers considerably with his next line. "This is definitely worth hiding though... and worth stealing for that matter. It's... overwhelming magic. I can't even tell what kind."

Show
    Hahahaha.... knowledge checks... Not for Baash, unfortunately.

27. - Top - End - #27

"Huh. That's a strange-looking thing, whatever it is," Matai comments on seeing the veiny rock. "It greatly decreases the likelihood that the missing pages were a coincidence. If we had a mage, I'd say we should get them to look at it, but as it is..." he shrugs.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

As Kheldarath made his way to the armory car, he was not unaware of the suspicious and skittish attitudes of the passengers, nor of the strange behavior of the guards. Neither was surprising to him, but the latter was eerily familiar: he had seen this before in the blithely contented smiles of recalcitrant ogres whom the Inspired were taking away for correction. At least they seemed to be moving and acting of their own accord, which was some consolation; perhaps they would still protect the passengers. ‘So much for this being a simple job.’ With that in mind, he didn’t so much as arc an eyebrow at being challenged by the guard at the door, even though it took a second to fight back the «Stand aside!» that he nearly ordered out of habit. ‘Best approach this cautiously,’ he thought; ‘Who knows how the guards will react?

He reached up and loosened his scarf so that the guard could see his face, and then he flashed the kind of broad, enthusiastic grin he’d seen for decades on the faces of peasants who’d had the “great pleasure” of meeting him. “Actually, I was hoping I could ask you something?” he said, in a tone that implied he wasn’t going to give the man any choice in the matter. Lowering his voice somewhat, he continued, “Rumor has it House Orien hired special forces for this trip. You would know if that’s true, wouldn’t you?” Kheldarath slouched forward a bit and rubbed the back of his neck nervously, his smile becoming ever-so-slightly more sheepish. “It would make my little boy so happy if he found out he was on the same train as a Sentinel Marshal.” A bit more somberly, he added, “Hasn’t been much cause for that lately, has there?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Braventooth

Lost in thought watching the snow covered terrain the shifter takes a moment to realise Kellian is addressing him. With a curt nod he heads for the door and braces himself for the freezing weather that greets him despite his magical protections.

Heading out he climbs the ladder and reaches Barricade. Shouting due to the wind and crackling stones "What is it?" before the airship is pointed out and Braventooth grins, action at last!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Barricade

Noting his friend's approach, the heavy warforged squeezes to one side on the ladder to allow the shifter to climb. He points towards the approaching airship.

"Airship approaching, friend. It appears to be attempting to overrun the train, and will likely reach us shortly. This may explain the sudden nature of the prior attacks."

He keeps his vision on the ship, ensuring that on its arrival he can spring into action.