New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Sword World

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Sword World

So it seems I have been obsessed with the Sword World setting for at least a decade and a half and didn't even know it. I'm sorry by the way if this is in the wrong spot, but I need to know. So to continue explaining, Sword World is a Japanese table top RPG that has many animes based off of it. Such animes include "Records of the Lodoss Wars" and "Rune Soldier Louie", as well as "Dragon Half" and I am pretty sure "Sorcerer Hunters" but I cannot be sure on that. So what i am asking is if there is any good 5e conversions for Sword World (even homebrews) or should I just hang my head low in defeat. Thank you for the time and sorry if this is in the wrong area.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sword World

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnalynna View Post
    So it seems I have been obsessed with the Sword World setting for at least a decade and a half and didn't even know it. I'm sorry by the way if this is in the wrong spot, but I need to know. So to continue explaining, Sword World is a Japanese table top RPG that has many animes based off of it. Such animes include "Records of the Lodoss Wars" and "Rune Soldier Louie", as well as "Dragon Half" and I am pretty sure "Sorcerer Hunters" but I cannot be sure on that. So what i am asking is if there is any good 5e conversions for Sword World (even homebrews) or should I just hang my head low in defeat. Thank you for the time and sorry if this is in the wrong area.
    From what I can see it's basically a D&D knockoff. This isn't an area where you need conversions, a tiny bit of homebrew gets you most of the way there.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3

NecromancerGirl

The only problem I am having with that is I can't find a source giving the English translation for classes and races, otherwise that probably would be my option.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The Sword World English wiki has a fan translation page is that helps at all: link.

Otherwise Google Translate (or the app if you can't get a digital copy of the rulebook) would be the next step.

5. - Top - End - #5

NecromancerGirl

Thank you, this helps a lot!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I did look into it a bit further, and while Sword World is incredibly traditional it went from a pretty standard D&D knockoff to a very traditional fantasy game that is built differently than D&D. Still, it's a rules light fantasy game with nothing special about the mechanics, where the most revolutionary thing about it is a bit of class blending that's ubiquitous in the Japanese RPG scene (according to my research, it's the Anglophone stuff where I have an actual personal familiarity). Build new mechanics for the setting from a system you like and call it a day.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.