New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Retiering the Classes: Adept, Aristocrat, Commoner, Expert, Magewright, Warrior

As a side note, looking at the aristocrat they get automatic proficiency in exotic armour and shields.

Still not enough to push them up a tier though...

Aristocrat tier 5.5
    Magewright tier 5
    Expert 5.5
    Warrior 5.5
    Adept 4
    Commoner 6

Although from the definitions of the tiers in this thread it gives Aristocrats as the default upper end of tier 6

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Retiering the Classes: Adept, Aristocrat, Commoner, Expert, Magewright, Warrior

I'm going to repost a post from Jormengand's tiering thread. I probably should have done so earlier, sorry. I'll also note that Craft (Alchemy) could probably have some good uses, but I haven't looked into it so I couldn't say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GilesTheCleric View Post
    I'd like to point out a few overlooked skills. I don't think they change the tiering for these skill-based classes, but they're worth acknowledging.

Profession: Executioner (BoVD) lets you have a flat DC 18 to succeed on your CdG attempt (using an Executioner's Sword). Combined with Death Blow (CAd), you can be a valuable finisher in combat without any other combat ability necessary.

Profession: Siege Engineer (HoB) with an eg trebuchet allows you to target a square, using your int mod for your to-hit, and you only need to hit a flat AC 15. Trebuchets deal 5d6-14d6 of damage (with several rounds to prepare to fire), and are pretty impractical in a lot of situations. But they can be used without a whole lot of skill in combat.

Knowledge: Warcraft (Dark Sun 3) lets you buff your allies' AC or to-hit, and it runs off cha, which you probably had pumped for diplomacy anyway. The bonus is equal to your cha mod; the DC is 15+number of allies affected, so low and fixed.

Warcraft (Birthright Campaign Setting) lets you pick where you end up engaging with your foes. It's meant for mass battles (both strategy and tactics), but if your GM will let you use it against foes that are chasing you, it's a neat way to get some free terrain bonuses. Runs off int, so you're golden.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TIPOT View Post
    Although from the definitions of the tiers in this thread it gives Aristocrats as the default upper end of tier 6
    I think it's useful information, the general guidelines of what a reasonable comparison point for each tier looks like, but it shouldn't necessarily be taken that seriously. If you think that a class I have listed as central to a tier doesn't fit that tier, then you can tier in accordance with that, and if folks agree with that to the extent the result is different from what I have, I'll just wind up switching the definition to some other class. Comparison testing is critical, so having something to compare a class to in a vacuum is critical, but we're becoming less and less a vacuum as time goes on. Long as the things you think are tier three are better than the things you think are tier four and such, you can't go too far off course.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    2a) One of the premier Expert builds, Knowledge Devotion, is comparable to what the Tier 6 Aristocrat can do; the Aristocrat loses some fringe skills and a feat (UMD Apprentice) but is using martial weapons to apply their damage bonus.
    A feat is a big deal, while the Aristrocrat is using a feat on apprentice, the expert can be using a feat on Shape Soulmeld to get a bonus on saves, skills, attacks and damage or hidden talent for minor psionic creation

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

The Aristocrat is already starting out with what are effectively bonus feats in the form of extra proficiencies and a larger hit die. It would cost the Expert more feats to match that than it would cost the Aristocrat to get a couple extra class skills.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

Almost missed this one.

Adept is a T4, I think, thanks to spells (and familiar).

Magewright is probably T5 and the Commoner T6.

The other 3 are somewhere in between, so I guess T5.5 would be fair.
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P