New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The New Power Rangers Movie

Billy was always my favorite (until Tommy showed up), so it's good to see he got love in this movie.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I read a review by someone who got an early screening, and he confirmed Bulk and Skull do not appear in this film at all.
    Maye Bulk and Skull will get their own solo film so they can build up a cinematic universe.

I'm not even sure if I'm joking or not given the current climate of films.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skitterbug View Post
    Maye Bulk and Skull will get their own solo film so they can build up a cinematic universe.

Well, having an eye out for that sorta thing is never really a bad idea. I mean, look at how some things have taken off in recent years.

In any event, i was on the fence about seeing this, but now i totally will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skitterbug View Post

Buddy-cop comedy with rebooted versions of Bulk and Skull!
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2017-03-24 at 03:31 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

If anyone is a fan of nostalgia critic, he reviewed the film. Minimal spoilers in the review, but I was honestly impressed by what I heard. Like, the dialogue is a bit shaky but the acting itself is GOOD. The main characters all get arcs, get development, and it makes sense. He is NOT a fan of power rangers, he admits it, its a bit after his time, he wasnt the right age to get sucked into it basically, though he acknowledges why it works as a series but yeah, he was genuinely impressed by how good a power rangers movie was. It wasnt a great film as such, but it was a great power rangers film if you understand the difference. So if anyone is still on the fence, it sounds like its worth a view. Even if it isnt a 5 star oscar fest, it sounds like a decent flick worth the cost of admission. Also, apparently there is some dunkin donut plugging, so be prepared to buy donuts after leaving.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

That's unexpected, given his appraisal of the other two movies (he didn't even give the first one a stamp of "Terrible, in a fun way", he just thought it sucked). That's the most compelling review I've seen yet.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

I was really really young when I watched Power Rangers Series for the first time. However, now I am afraid I'm too old for this movie But I'm certainly going to see it!
    It’s all about where you going no matter where you’ve been

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

OK I saw Power Rangers Movie tonight and this is what I think about the movie. That movie is pretty good. Lots of action and fighting. Good storyline. Good special effects. It was a good movie. I'll rated this movie a four out of five stars.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I read a review by someone who got an early screening, and he confirmed Bulk and Skull do not appear in this film at all.

He also said we don't get to see the Power Rangers actually be Power Rangers (that is, in their suits with their zoids, etc.) until 92 minutes into the film (the film is 124 minutes long...)

So my hopes are not high.
    This is accurate, but it's not really a flaw. The film is very much a cinematic expansion of Day of the Dumpster. It's similarly deliberately paced as the 2014 Godzillla film, but unlike that film the leads aren't incredibly dull. As a teen dramedy with some action at the end, the film works pretty well. It's also not very gritty beyond some minor teen angst though Rita gets a bit more explicitly creepy than campy.

The rangers are all handled well enough, and Alpha is reasonably updated. All in all one I thought it was a decent time and my baby sister was smiling from ear to ear throughout the whole movie.

Nitpicks- Not enough Bryan Cranston. He had enough implied backstory that a little more exploration would have been welcome. Similarly, while Banks is alright chewing up the scenery she comes off pretty flat compared to arcs several of the Rangers get. A scene of them meeting in the present to play off each other would have been excelent. Also the finale with the megazord is a bit underwhelming.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Nitpicks- Not enough Bryan Cranston. He had enough implied backstory that a little more exploration would have been welcome.
    To be fair, this is pretty in line with the source material. Seven seasons involving Zordon and we learn four things about him: His name is Zordon, he's a giant floating head, his home planet is Eltar, and if you kill him he explodes in a giant wave of evil destroying energy powerful enough to kill or cleanse all evil in the known universe.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    To be fair, this is pretty in line with the source material. Seven seasons involving Zordon and we learn four things about him: His name is Zordon, he's a giant floating head, his home planet is Eltar, and if you kill him he explodes in a giant wave of evil destroying energy powerful enough to kill or cleanse all evil in the known universe.
    To be fair the source material is also not that good.
    My Steam profile

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    To be fair the source material is also not that good.
    fite me IRL kid

ill backflip u

Seriously though it's really good for what it is (a kid's show), it has some pretty solid action, and some of the seasons ARE legitimately good entertainment that holds up pretty well (like In Space).

There's a lot of really bad, and a lot of "does not hold up well", and a lot of "this was not made for anyone above the age of 13", but the show itself isn't bad.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2017-03-27 at 07:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

So I just say the film.

It was okay. I liked the first hour and the last half hour, but between those it just didn't seem as good. I loved Billy, and think that he's one of the most realistic depictions of autism I've seen in recent media (while I personally have a sense of humour I have had exactly the same problems trying to explain how it effects me). Trini was also a personal favourite, I think the only one I found boring was Jason, and I don't think the film would have worked as well with a 'more interesting' Red.

I have to say the best part was the soundtrack. I still dislike the suit and zord designs, but I can look past that.

I can tell they want a sequel, and they'll probably get it. My guess is that it's going to feature a new Green Ranger who picks up the green power coin (on that note, I was disappointed the ship only had five spaces for Rangers, it's obvious that Green is meant to be part of the team in this continuity from the first scene). It'll likely be the same case as with this film, I'll see it with friends if I get the chance but otherwise bypass it.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    So I just say the film.

It was okay. I liked the first hour and the last half hour, but between those it just didn't seem as good. I loved Billy, and think that he's one of the most realistic depictions of autism I've seen in recent media (while I personally have a sense of humour I have had exactly the same problems trying to explain how it effects me). Trini was also a personal favourite, I think the only one I found boring was Jason, and I don't think the film would have worked as well with a 'more interesting' Red.

I have to say the best part was the soundtrack. I still dislike the suit and zord designs, but I can look past that.

I can tell they want a sequel, and they'll probably get it. My guess is that it's going to feature a new Green Ranger who picks up the green power coin (on that note, I was disappointed the ship only had five spaces for Rangers, it's obvious that Green is meant to be part of the team in this continuity from the first scene). It'll likely be the same case as with this film, I'll see it with friends if I get the chance but otherwise bypass it.
    I heard they basically were just waiting for opening weekend results to greenlight the sequel and they have the plans for a full series of films. Its looking like, while it didnt even come close to beauty and the beast, its still on the fast track to making a good amount of cash worldwide. So chances are good it will happen.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

I gotta say, I thoroughly enjoyed this one :)

Yes there was a lot of horridly predictable stuff, but it struck the right chord of serious vs camp (I referred to it as hitting the "Stargate" level of seriousness about itself) and it was really really nice to see an actually *diverse* cast, and dodge so many of the tropes associated with that
    Spoiler: minor character spoilers
    Show
    (the Asian guy isn't the 'smart guy' or the 'magical kung-fu guy', the cheerleader isn't a damsel in distress, the 'jock who destroyed his career' isn't a 'brooding ******** who laughs at nerds and has to learn the power of tolerance', etc

It may not have been an "OMG!" super movie that blows you away at everything, but it was a good, solid action movie with actual diversity and surprisingly grounded (and non-angsty) depiction of screwball teens.

And Kim was most definitely my favourite.
    Super cute Catgirl Avatar by Kymme

16. - Top - End - #46

So, how many people do you think will riot if the sequel doesn't cover the Green With Evil arc?
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    So, how many people do you think will riot if the sequel doesn't cover the Green With Evil arc?
    If I had to guess, these movies are going to be following a rough outline of major events of MMPR. So, as we saw with the mid-credits scene, the sequel is going to be the Green With Evil arc, much like how this reboot was a re-imagining of "Day of the Dumpster". Then the third movie would conclude Rita's tenure as villain, so we'd get an reimagined version of "Doomsday" or something. That, in turn, would lead to a new trilogy of movies that would feature Lord Zedd as our new bad guy.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Armaius View Post
    If I had to guess, these movies are going to be following a rough outline of major events of MMPR. So, as we saw with the mid-credits scene, the sequel is going to be the Green With Evil arc, much like how this reboot was a re-imagining of "Day of the Dumpster". Then the third movie would conclude Rita's tenure as villain, so we'd get an reimagined version of "Doomsday" or something. That, in turn, would lead to a new trilogy of movies that would feature Lord Zedd as our new bad guy.
    I wonder how they will handle covering the reception of the power rangers and such. I mean, the giant battles keep taking place here, and its great the rangers are stopping it, but they have to wonder, are the fights happening here because thats where the rangers are? Or are the rangers here because for whatever reason thats where the monsters get sent? Thats a lot of damage every time a monster attacks. Probably a lot of death too.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I wonder how they will handle covering the reception of the power rangers and such. I mean, the giant battles keep taking place here, and its great the rangers are stopping it, but they have to wonder, are the fights happening here because thats where the rangers are? Or are the rangers here because for whatever reason thats where the monsters get sent? Thats a lot of damage every time a monster attacks. Probably a lot of death too.
    Well there are two explanations:

1.) This IS Power Rangers, the monsters always happen to attack Angel Grove's abandoned warehouse district.

2.) In at least one point in the show the military is shown rapidly evacuating the town when a monster attacks. The Power Rangers have been around a while (our MMPR group is not the first) and seem to be trusted implicitly as the protectors of the city and Earth by extension. So there's a good chance there are regular "monster drills" and everyone is practiced at evacuating.

Side note: I would love to see big budget Lord Zedd.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by Armaius View Post
    Really?

I rather assumed that going forward, the role ita had in the green with Evil arc would just be transferred to Zed. I can picture him being involved in Rita's fall as a Ranger, so them having him do the same play with a new Green Ranger makes sense.

(Plus... I mean, I know she survived millions of years at the bottom of the ocean, so clearly we don't know the limits of Rita's powers. But getting slapped into space by the Megazord is not only hilarious, it sound's like the kind of thing that ought to kill a villain.)

I do have to wonder if recasting Tommy is a good idea though. On the one hand, Tommy is THE most recognisable and famous Ranger, the de facto face of the franchise.
    On the other hand, Tommy is the most popular Ranger, and Jason David Frank is still actively involved in the fandom. It would be like recasting Wolverine; it's not that no one can follow Hugh Jackman, but it's such a hard act to convincingly pull off and get fans on board with, you have to wonder if it's worth the bother.)
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

Rise of the Runelords -Ely
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars - Jean/Saber

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    The mid-credits stinger sure seemed to suggest that is what they plan to do.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    I do have to wonder if recasting Tommy is a good idea though. On the one hand, Tommy is THE most recognisable and famous Ranger, the de facto face of the franchise.
    On the other hand, Tommy is the most popular Ranger, and Jason David Frank is still actively involved in the fandom. It would be like recasting Wolverine; it's not that no one can follow Hugh Jackman, but it's such a hard act to convincingly pull off and get fans on board with, you have to wonder if it's worth the bother.)
    As a huge fan of Tommy (who isn't?)...I could go either way. It would be awesome to see Jason David Frank on the big screen, maybe playing more of a mentor "older, wiser Ranger" figure kinda like he did on Wild Force and Dino Thunder, but at the same time I don't think doing Green with Evil with him again would work as well, he's just so much older than the rest of the cast it would feel off. Given how well the new Billy has turned out (not that David Yost would have come back even if they were trying to reunite the old cast), I'm perfectly willing to give a new Tommy a fair shake.

On a third hand, it's really damn hard to manufacture that kind of popularity, and attempts tend to end in cringe inducing failure, so of all the characters a new Tommy has the most potential to be disappointing (by being perfectly fine, but not living up to expectations) or really, horrendously, franchise killing-ly bad (by them trying way too hard to recapture lightning in a bottle).
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2017-03-30 at 02:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

In all seriousness though, WHY was he so popular? I think it was less him being some sort of amazing once in a lifetime actor, and more the storylines he was given. His character was basically the go to guy for rallying the troops with a new power ranger to turn the tide. He got some great stories out of that and that made him this larger than life figure. I honestly think that if they just repeat the type of stories and the character himself they will do just fine with a new actor. Lets face it, there will always be a certain subset of people who think everything is sexually assaulting their childhoods that will never be happy no matter what the studio does. Best to forget about those loudmouths and aim at interesting the newcomers and those who arent so ludicrously obsessed with nostalgia.

24. - Top - End - #54

I think part of the reason he's popular is just the sheer number of episodes he was in. Everyone else went on to other things, and he was always there.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post

Are Bulk and Skull there?
    As an archetype yes, as themselves no.

Can we talk about the new Bull (bulk +Skull)
    Spoiler
    Show

The Pink Ranger was a total jerk. So I understand the two not liking her. But bad things happen to them. I count at least three times.
    Now Bulk and Skull had a similar theme, but at least they deserved it.

It seems like the story is making like "just Deserts" but they weren't the bad guys. She did the bad thing posting that indecent picture on her phone. I can understand them being made at her.
    She even admits what she did was terrible.

26. - Top - End - #56

RogueGuy

So I watched it tonight.

It was a pretty good movie.
    Spoiler: Spoilers
    Show

Yeah, it didn't have the power rangers in it for a long time. I honestly didn't really care though. I knew as soon as they summoned the suits it would go to feeling silly. Not that feeling silly is a bad thing.

What I was worried about, was given them all this bleak woah is me, that makes it so I am a very bad misunderstood teenager. I ended up liking them though. Except for Trini, they tried making her to much of the loner misunderstood type. That that I didn't like her. I just felt that they were pushing that angle a little hard.

The thing I liked about it, they made them all understandable. I was so worried they would feel like students from Degrassi High. They weren't though, all of them had reasons for acting up. I like how human they ending up being.

I didn't expect to like the movie and some of the characters as much as I did. When Billy died, and that song played as they were carrying him away. I was kind of surprised how much it affected me. I knew he wasn't going to stay dead. It still made me tear up a little.

That being said, I was actually wanting to see these guys in something more then a Movie, but less then a series. I would have loved to see this as a Netflix series. I was kind of conflicted. I wanted to see them kicking putty, yet I was enjoying the whole aspect of them training.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2017-04-06 at 10:07 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

...Spoiler tags. Quickly.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2017-04-05 at 07:39 PM.
    My Steam profile

28. - Top - End - #58

Agreed. So far, I've been happy with the amount of spoilers people have been avoiding. Let's try to keep it that way.
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Definitely. Spoilers without a warning are really not cool.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    Spoiler: SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER!!!!!!!!
    Show
    I didn't expect to like the movie and some of the characters as much as I did. When Billy died, and that song played as they were carrying him away. I was kind of surprised how much it affected me. I knew he wasn't going to stay dead. It still made me tear up a little.
    Seriously, have some concerns for those who haven't watched the film yet, the bit I've quoted is a massive spoiler from near the end. Do you mind spoiler tagging it?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.