New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Best ToB School for an Unarmed Monk?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    That's what I said/asked. Why limit only on objects? And about what "drastically reduced damage" are you talking about? Max hardness (Adamantine) is 20 as far as I know. Again, why not focus on pure damage for 3 digit dmg numbers?
    Why not charge the stupid door/lock for 100+ dmg? The Adamantine door still takes over 80+ dmg.
    Not everyone wants to play an uber-charger, a big part of that build is pounce and the easiest way to get pounce (barb 1 with spritual lion totem ACF) isn't that good on a monk (lose rage, unarmed damage isn't a two-handed weapon).

Of course you can just increase your damage.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    I like to use the mountain hammer/stone dragon belt as a universal key.
    I know this is part of the swordsage handbook and part of our collective cultural knowledge when it comes to tob, but in actual practice, does this come up that often?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    That's what I said/asked. Why limit only on objects? And about what "drastically reduced damage" are you talking about? Max hardness (Adamantine) is 20 as far as I know. Again, why not focus on pure damage for 3 digit dmg numbers?
    Why not charge the stupid door/lock for 100+ dmg? The Adamantine door still takes over 80+ dmg.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see your point.

edit: even if yo don't have 100+ dmg. even with only 21dmg, unless you are short in time, you will smash it.. . So if you wanna get in faster, get more dmg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Not everyone wants to play an uber-charger, a big part of that build is pounce and the easiest way to get pounce (barb 1 with spritual lion totem ACF) isn't that good on a monk (lose rage, unarmed damage isn't a two-handed weapon).

Of course you can just increase your damage.
    I feel a bit like you're talking past each other.

I think the central issue is when are you going to be in a scenario where you need to:
    1) destroy an object
    2) have a very limited amount of time to do it
    3) still be able to destroy that object in the time limit with the piddly damage mountain hammer does?

if it's just 1, any source of damage works
    if it's just 2, mountain hammer's damage is too low to do it for anything where its hardness in the first place (such as adamantine) would be an issue
    I don't know that 3 would really ever come up

if you really need to smash through some rocks or whatever and get to a secret room and dig a tunnel, it's going to take so long, even with mountain hammer, that you're going to drop out of round by round actions anyway. in this instance, just using an adamantine hammer would have pretty much the same effect (it might even be faster if the party brute was swinging it)

mountain hammer's ability to penetrate enemy DR is undoubtedly useful, but foe hammer replicates that, plus you can use it while flying, which is vital past mid levels.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Hey all, just give you all an update: Spent the weekend looking up the recommended styles and I'm really digging the options Shadow Hand, since I can get a solid Damage buff with Shadow Hand, lots of utility there so probably going to go with them so thanks for all the help!

Follow up question though, what's the deal with initiator levels? It only matters for stuff with variable effects/saves correct? I saw that under level it said that I could learn any maneuver I want via the martial study feat regardless of class, but I still have to meet the prerequisites. So if I wanted to be clear that I could take an 8th level stance like Balance on the Sky, I would still have to have 3 manuevers(or stances), but I wouldn't need to be level 16 for instance? Just want to make sure I'm doing it right.
    Last edited by Darth Grall; 2017-03-27 at 03:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Grall View Post
    Hey all, just give you all an update: Spent the weekend looking up the recommended styles and I'm really digging the options Shadow Hand, since I can get a solid AB buff with Shadow Hand, lots of utility there so probably going to go with them so thanks for all the help!

Follow up question though, what's the deal with initiator levels? It only matters for stuff with variable effects correct? I saw that under level it said that I could learn any maneuver I want via the martial study feat regardless of class, but I still have to meet the prerequisites. So if I wanted to be clear that I could take an 8th level stance like Balance on the Sky, I would still have to have 3 manuevers(or stances), but I wouldn't need to be level 16 for instance? Just want to make sure
    You absolutely need to meet the minimum initiator level in order to take a stance.

Initiator levels provide 1 level. Non-initiator levels provide 1/2 level rounded down.

a 12th level non-initiator has an IL of 6.

It follows wizard progression so multiply by 2 and subtract 1. (you get 1s at 1, 2s at 3, 3s at 5, etc)
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    You absolutely need to meet the minimum initiator level in order to take a stance.

Initiator levels provide 1 level. Non-initiator levels provide 1/2 level rounded down.

a 12th level non-initiator has an IL of 6.

It follows wizard progression so multiply by 2 and subtract 1. (you get 1s at 1, 2s at 3, 3s at 5, etc)
    Ah, okay, well that makes sense though. Is there any way to boost your Initiator level outside of taking an adept class then? Cause while I can wait till I'm level 16 I'd prefer to do it sooner. Plus for RP reasons I can't Multi-Class.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, okay, well that makes sense though. Is there any way to boost your Initiator level outside of taking an adept class then? Cause while I can wait till I'm level 16 I'd prefer to do it sooner. Plus for RP reasons I can't Multi-Class.
    You mean to get more than 1 IL/level? And without taking any initiator levels? No. Just to clarify, you need an initiator level of 16, not just a character level of 16. If you never take any initiator levels, the highes IL you can ever have is 10

Iron Chef Medals!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

You mean to get more than 1 IL/level? And without taking any initiator levels? No. Just to clarify, you need an initiator level of 16, not just a character level of 16. If you never take any initiator levels, the highes IL you can ever have is 10
    Ah, you're right! That stinks, but I think I definitely can still benefit from some of the low level maneuvers in shadow. Definitely put some stuff out of reach for now though, but good to know for the future and thanks for the help and clarification all.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, you're right! That stinks, but I think I definitely can still benefit from some of the low level maneuvers in shadow. Definitely put some stuff out of reach for now though, but good to know for the future and thanks for the help and clarification all.
    If all you need is a maneuver or two, you might just use the items in the back of the book.

Iron Chef Medals!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

If all you need is a maneuver or two, you might just use the items in the back of the book.
    Thanks, I'll give that a look also.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The ToB prestige class shadow sun ninja can advance some of your monk abilities and increase your IL on 1-for-1 basis (as opposed to 0.5 for 1 for your monk levels).

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!