New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Weird Food

1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Weird Food

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I always thought it's a reference to italian flag, but then I realized there's no brown (chocolate) at Italian flag.
    When I was young, Neapolitan ice cream had mint in it as well. I suspected therefore that originally it had been mint, strawberry and vanilla, forming an Italian tricolour, and then chocolate had been added because people like it, with mint removed.

Then I discovered that in fact this wasn't the case, and the chocolate-vanilla-strawberry combination was probably just because they were the three most popular flavours when it was invented. I don't know what mint was doing in there in my youth.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Mint at least makes more sense than strawberry

EDIT:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYSBPo_mAD0
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-08-07 at 11:36 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Neapolitan was originally pistachio, vanilla, and cherry for the green, white, and red tricolor of Italy.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    And you can't just buy chocolate ice-cream, it's just not as special!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

Campbell's chicken noodle soup with rosemary, paprika, and cinnamon. Weird as heck. Delicious.

This may be just me.

Spoiler: Additional Information
    Show
    This may also be just because I'm sick, but I can easily imagine wanting to eat it while healthy.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

I always thought it's a reference to italian flag, but then I realized there's no brown (chocolate) at Italian flag.
    You're not far wrong. Originally there were a great many different varieties of Neapolitan ice cream, all with three flavors (which is a reference to Italy's tricolor flag), but the version that combined the most popular ice cream flavors in the US is the one that lasted instead of one that matched the colors. A shame, since a mint-vanilla-strawberry/cherry/raspberry version would be quite nice.

7. - Top - End - #187

I actually wonder if that's Neapolitan at all. Looks more Italian-American to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #188

You know what's funny? Calzone. I always thought it's Italian-american, the sort of deep fried improvement of immigrant food that America is best at

Imagine my surprise when I found relatively recently it's actually traditional Italian food. And it's pronounced Cal-zo-ne instead of Cal-zon
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

You know what's funny? Calzone. I always thought it's Italian-american, the sort of deep fried improvement of immigrant food that America is best at
    But...a calzone isn't deep fried. They're baked, in a pizza oven. Also it's got several pronunciations. Cal-Zone is the correct one in the United States.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    But...a calzone isn't deep fried. They're baked, in a pizza oven. Also it's got several pronunciations. Cal-Zone is the correct one in the United States.
    Yes and no. Technically they do exist, but are called panzarotties (think I spelled that correctly). Same concept as a calzone, but it is fried instead of baked. Started in southern Italy I believe.

It's easy to mistake the two, and over here some places even call them fried calzones.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

11. - Top - End - #191
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Kraft dinner and root beer. KD just wasn't popular in the UK when I grew up before moving to Canada. As for root beer, we had a tooth paste that tastes exactly like it. I almost gagged when I tried it for the first time.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

biggrin Re: Weird Food

One of my guity pleasures (from when I was a kid) is peanut butter, cheese and salami (or Strasbourg) on a sandwich. Everyone I've met thinks it's really odd.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    One of my guity pleasures (from when I was a kid) is peanut butter, cheese and salami (or Strasbourg) on a sandwich. Everyone I've met thinks it's really odd.
    ...Not just people you've met.....

But if it works for you, great!
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

14. - Top - End - #194
    Pixie in the Playground

Yes!!
    I am foodie
    Love to eat abd hate yo share my food :P

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leaf Games View Post
    As for root beer, we had a tooth paste that tastes exactly like it. I almost gagged when I tried it for the first time.
    It's so bubbly and cloying and happy... but you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it, you begin to like it.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Pixie in the Playground

Ketchup Bagels
    Tomato Pancakes

there another add food
    Last edited by kedirimakmur1; 2017-10-20 at 11:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Sushi. Yes, shock and awe, but if it's not at least moderately heat or salt-sterilised I don't want it in my mouth.

Holodets, a Russian dish. I'm Russian so in theory I should like it, and my parents certainly do. But like... imagine Jell-O. Imagine a dish of jello with, like, bits of fruit inside and stuff. Pretty nice, right? Now imagine that instead of fruit, it's a savoury dish and it has MEAT inside. Inside the (likewise savoury) jello. Yeah.

.............I've never actually tried it, will report back if I will. I love "slimy" food (pudding, jello, what have you) but only if it's sweet.
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

18. - Top - End - #198

Beholder

There is a special place in hell for people who just boil potatoes and mash them up without adding anything else.

I will never understand sea salt & dark chocolate. Speaking of Salt, my family down in Texas puts salt on everything: Fried Chicken, Pizza, Watermelon, Grapefruit, Everything! It's disgusting.

No a huge fan of Peanuts+Lime+Cilantro Combo you get in some cuisines.

90% of Cake frosting in the states skeeves me out. I'd rather have fruit/berry topping or better yet, pie.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    Sushi. Yes, shock and awe, but if it's not at least moderately heat or salt-sterilised I don't want it in my mouth.
    Unagi is fully cooked if you ever find yourself stuck in a sushi restaurant. American rolls can offer a plethora of cooked fish, but I doubt Germany has many of those available.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I think I can top this, I once sickened my entire DnD group by eating strong mustard on cheetos. And by strong mustard, I mean strong enough to make your eyes water. Another one I enjoy is lavender in desserts, wonder how many people find that one strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

I know a lot of people find my fondness for salted lemons to be a bit odd.

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Another one I enjoy is lavender in desserts, wonder how many people find that one strange.
    For me at least, it's mostly just weird because it's a taste/smell that's more associated with soap than food. And I don't like eating soap.

(I've only had lavender... mint-things, though. For all I know it could be delicious when it's not on its own.)
    Last edited by rooster707; 2017-10-21 at 08:26 PM.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

22. - Top - End - #202

Beholder

Another one I enjoy is lavender in desserts, wonder how many people find that one strange.
    I like it. I also like Earl Grey with Lavender tea, Lavender Soda, & Lavender Lemonade. I did think it was weird the first time I saw it though.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I know a lot of people find my fondness for salted lemons to be a bit odd.
    Salt will counteract bitter and sour flavors. It's why a teeeeeeeny bit of salt might be added to lemonade. The American lemonade, not what you weirdos in other countries call lemonade.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

All food. You're taking bits of what were parts of plants, animals, fungus and other organism and taking them into your body and turning them into you. How freaking weird is that?!
    But for something in particular. . . . I made wheat toast with margarine and Vegemite, topped with garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, and, because sour enhances umami, home pickled carrots and green beans.
    It was a dynamo of rich, meaty flavour, super scrumptious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

That sounds interesting! Do you have a recipe for the pickled carrots and beans?

26. - Top - End - #206

Salt will counteract bitter and sour flavors. It's why a teeeeeeeny bit of salt might be added to lemonade. The American lemonade, not what you weirdos in other countries call lemonade.
    Some application of salt also makes sweet things taste sweeter by contrast. I believe that's the reason why some people use salt in watermelon, that's actually the default way to eat watermelon in japan, I believe.

Talking about nice hidden taste, I ate a nice sweet dessert recently where they put a small salty, crunchy, flower looking-decoration on the slice. When I eat it, it's sweet, but then I bite the crunchy decoration and it gives a nice contrasting moutfeel and taste that makes the dessert tastes better.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

That sounds interesting! Do you have a recipe for the pickled carrots and beans?
    No, I am afraid; they were a gift from a friend. But they were pickled in a dilly, garlic pickling solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Some application of salt also makes sweet things taste sweeter by contrast. I believe that's the reason why some people use salt in watermelon, that's actually the default way to eat watermelon in japan, I believe.

Talking about nice hidden taste, I ate a nice sweet dessert recently where they put a small salty, crunchy, flower looking-decoration on the slice. When I eat it, it's sweet, but then I bite the crunchy decoration and it gives a nice contrasting moutfeel and taste that makes the dessert tastes better.
    I've tried it, it actually does make the melon (I had it on cantaloupe, however) taste sweeter. I've heard this is a common practice in the American South as well. I wonder if it has anything to do with both places getting muggy and hot in the summer, leading to dehydration?

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Weird Food

We had our first anniversary dinner on Sunday evening, and as well as having a very awesome steak, tried escargot for the first time.

I really liked it (served on a bed of spinach and other veggies, seasoned with garlic etc.). My wife had tried escargot previously (in France), and said the one at our restaurant (in Highett, Australia) was better than the French version!
    Last edited by Thurbane; 2017-10-23 at 10:14 PM. Reason: typos

30. - Top - End - #210

You know, on using salt on sweet things and such, I now remember the concept of "hidden taste" in cooking, basically things that are used to enhance the taste you want to pronounce. I don't know any specific, I'm not a cook, but I think a cook would know more, even if they know it from experience or folk wisdom. Something like, making spicy curry sweet will make people able to take the spiciness more, or bitter vegetables that makes savoury part of the dish more pronounced, that kind of things.

Spoiler
    Show