New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Question Making Clerics' Casting and Turn Undead INT- or CHA-based from Level 1

Greetings, all!

I'd like to play a (Cloistered) Cleric1/WizardX with PrCs (or, much less preferably, a Cleric1/SorX with PrCs), but wanted an official way (in WotC or "Dragon"/"Dungeon" magazines) - very preferably via class feature swapping - to get Turn Undead daily uses based on INT instead of CHA. This is meant to reduce MAD. It's very important for this character to get this ability at Cleric1 and without feats since this character's level 1 feats are already taken.

The second issue is how to get INT-based or CHA-based Cleric casting. The feat Academic Priest helps with casting, but it's a feat and the effect is not so important now. Going Favored Soul or another CHA-based class probably misses the point because Cleric1 gives full prepared access to the Cleric list, 2 domains (3 with Cloistered), and Turn Undead.

Thankee!
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Making Clerics' Casting and Turn Undead INT- or CHA-based from Level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    Greetings, all!

I'd like to play a (Cloistered) Cleric1/WizardX with PrCs (or, much less preferably, a Cleric1/SorX with PrCs), but wanted an official way (in WotC or "Dragon"/"Dungeon" magazines) - very preferably via class feature swapping - to get Turn Undead daily uses based on INT instead of CHA. This is meant to reduce MAD. It's very important for this character to get this ability at Cleric1 and without feats since this character's level 1 feats are already taken.

The second issue is how to get INT-based or CHA-based Cleric casting. The feat Academic Priest helps with casting, but it's a feat and the effect is not so important now. Going Favored Soul or another CHA-based class probably misses the point because Cleric1 gives full prepared access to the Cleric list, 2 domains (3 with Cloistered), and Turn Undead.

Thankee!
    There is no such mechanic in first party sources. I'm not sure if one exists in the magazines.

what is your end goal? from the sound of things, you're working toward a particular milestone. perhaps if we knew that, we could fine an existing way of getting you all the powers you need.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Making Clerics' Casting and Turn Undead INT- or CHA-based from Level 1

I'm pretty sure you're asking the impossible, but Archivist may be a suitable Int-based alternative, and it can learn any divine spell in the game.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I wanted to reduce MAD for going Cloistered Cleric1/Conjurer1/Ruathar2/Mystic Theurge2/Incantatrix4/Full CastingX.

A doubly-flawed Strongheart Halfling gets 4 feats. This Cleric worships an ethos and has the domains of Time and Undeath. The feats are Heighten Spell, Divine Metamagic: Heighten Spell, Extra Slot (for a level 8 slot), and Summon Elemental (to prepare - but not cast - [i]summon monster VIII to fuel Summon Elemental).

I like the Cleric/Wizard idea, but dislike needing to have INT, WIS, and CHA high at level 1 for this to work. This character majors in Wizardry and minors in Priesthood. He needs a high INT for Wizard spells, 16+ initial CHA to qualify for this combo, and enough WIS to make Cleric casting worthwhile. He may also need 18+ WIS for the level 8 Cleric slot.
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Extra Slot in Complete Arcane requires a caster level of 4th, which you don't have at 1st level.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit
    I remembered Player Handbook II's Cleric ACF which allows Clerics to spontaneously convert spells into those of a certain domain (Summoner in this case), thereby removing the need for Extra Slot. This also reduces the required CHA to 14+ from 16+ for purposes of summoning a Large Elemental since I only need to Heighten to level 8 spells instead of level 9 spells.

Previous Post
    And I'm reminded of why I previously took the Summoner domain instead of Time.

Let's assume this char starts with Undeath and Summoner domains. Undeath gives Extra Turning. Summoner gives +2 caster level for calling and summoning spells. Summon Elemental gives +1 CL for summon spells. If need be, also take the Spellgifted (Conjuration) trait for +1 Conjuration CL but -1 CL for all else.

This Extra Slot feat is only needed if we need it for Summon Elemental; else, scrap it.
    Last edited by Endarire; 2017-03-26 at 04:20 PM.