New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Othniel's Ironfang Invasion I

Jocasa

"Leave him." Jocasa faux-cheerfully chirped from down the hall, near the safe. "If he wants to make it on his own, that's his right. Of course, we're looting the building, so staying behind will mean he doesn't get his fair share, but that seems a fair price for him slowing everyone down and not contributing to the evacuation effort."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+3)[19]
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Ulva

Looking around at the others as they tried to convince this man to come along, Ulva said nothing, and proceeded to clean the tip of her spear off with her hand while staring at Clidon with her one good eye.

Spoiler: Aid Another
    Show

Intimidate:(1d20-2)[13]
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

The Taproot

"It's risky, but we should make the attempt." Aubrin sighed. "Might be something there to replenish our meager healing supplies. Those few potions are all we have to spread amongst however many survivors we can round up," she explained. "We should visit the other locations mentioned as well, in whichever order you think best, but more than that is pressing our luck, and Cayden knows we could use more of that." The cleric unscrewed the cap from her holy symbol flask and took a small sip. Replacing the cap, she closed her eyes and sighed. "What a night. If we can link up with the Chernasardo Rangers, we can survive, and might even have a fighting chance. In the Fangwood, anything's possible." Those within earshot knew what she was referring to. The Fangwood, while providing dangers of its own, was long the preferred refuge of the people of Nirmathas when invaders came knocking at their doors. Up until now, it had always been Molthuni troops. Hobgoblins were something new for most of the townsfolk.

"...so staying behind will mean he doesn't get his fair share..."

That gave the man a jolt, as did the stare down from Ulva. "Fine!" replied Clidon. He grabbed his pack and clutched it to his chest. "But you better not get us killed," he grumbled quietly.

Down the hall before Jocasa was the Taproot's "vault," which was more of a glorified closet with a locked door.

Spoiler: Provisions
    Show
    Each of the traders' packs provide 5 Provision Points.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Aidan

The elf grunted as Torg and Aubrin brought up the shrine. Of course they'd want to save whatever refugees fled there. As would his sister, no doubt.

"We can skirt the edge of town towards the shrine from the smithy. Anything to avoid that tower at the center of town. From there, it's a short sprint to the bridge. We can regroup at my cabin before proceeding to the Fangwood."

Looking up from the map, he turned his attention to the group of refugees by Jet.

"There's armor and weapons on the bar, there. Any of you who can use a bow, take one. We don't want to start a fight, but if we're backed into a corner better to die taking one of them with you."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Torg Stone

Torg nodded to the proposed plan of action, along with a soft grunt.
    "We ought to get moving then. I'll stick with Aubrin; my legs ain't as long as you taller folk, which can't be helped, but you can load me up like a mule and it won't slow me down any. I'll shoulder that keg'o water, and anything else besides. Let's get to it."

Show

Light, medium, or heavy load makes no difference to Torg's dwarven 'slow and steady' speed trait. He can carry up to 200 lbs. of crap and still fight.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

The Taproot

Several of the refugees stepped forward and armed themselves, all looking rather nervous at the prospect of going up against trained hobgoblin soldiers. Meanwhile, the vault was opened upstairs.

Spoiler: Contents of the "Vault"
    Show
    In the “vault” sits an oak chest with a silver clasp and finishings [17 gp]. Inside are four pieces of green silk [10 gp each], each wrapped around an object. Inside the first is an enormous ancient-looking book, bound in rich leather and stamped with golden runes that title it “Clerical Alchemy” in the Dwarvish alphabet* [55g]. Inside the cover of the book is nestled a small wand with dwarven runes engraved in its length, clearly describing it as a Wand of Cure Light Wounds (18 charges) [270g]. The second piece contains a small cedar box inlaid with painted ceramic tiles [6 gp]. The box holds six linen handkerchiefs embroidered with a script L [1 gp each]. Inside the third piece are five daggers, balanced for throwing [12 gp each]. Each one is set with a small black obsidian stone in the pommel. There is also a used but serviceable whetstone [2 cp]. The fourth length of silk is wrapped around a small jewelry box [3 gp], which holds a jewelry set consisting of a gold ring [22 gp], bracelet [37 gp], and necklace [54 gp]. Each is set with blue-green stones [turquoise]: one in the ring, three in the bracelet, and seven in the necklace. Under the silk-wrapped bundles are three belt pouches [1 gp each]. The first holds copper [187 cp], the second contains silver [141 sp], and the third has some gold with a smattering of platinum [7 pp, 54 gp].

*The book is worth 60g on its own, and also provides a +1 Circumstance Bonus to Craft (Alchemy) checks to craft balms, medicines, and tonics; as well as Heal checks while treating deadly wounds, poison, or disease. It is written entirely in Dwarven.

Show
    Heads up, my internet is wonky today, so posts may be slower. Also work this evening.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2017-03-29 at 03:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Jocasa

"Tell ya what, Clidon, if I get you killed, you're welcome to go do your own thing and you won't have to listen to us anymore. How does that sound?" Jo quickly scooped up the goods and tucked the daggers away - she could use those, and figured she would be by the end of the night.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Septimus emerged from a bedroom with empty pillowcases and passed one to Jo for quick looting of everything except the wand. Still visibly irritated that they were lingering, he trotted downstairs and passed the wand to Torg without a word. With an expectant look to Aidan, he tied a stolen blanket in to a makeshift cloak. Assuming they were sleeping in the woods tonight, he at least wanted to be comfortable.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Aidan

Seeing the others return with further refugees in tow, Aidan quickly outlined the plan of action.

"Once we leave, we'll be trusting to the darkness and confusion to conceal out movements. Jocasa and I can take point and try to eliminate any stray hobgoblins. Are you all ready?"
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2017-03-29 at 04:40 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Veric

Veric spoke up as he listened to their plan.

"My parents farm is on the way to the shop. I need to stop there first." He set his face in stubborn lines, ready to go alone if he had to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Phaendar Outskirts

With a plan agreed upon, the band of desperate refugees set out, Kael siblings leading the way. It was a few tense moments of creeping through the darkness as the group passed by the bridge, and then through the (relative) safety of the edge of town to the building Veric and Septimus called home. The barn was on fire and the doors were open, the animals having run to safety. Out front, they beheld Veric's father, Torin, holding a pitchfork above the body of a fallen hobgoblin. "Do it, human!" slurred the creature, blood flowing from several holes in the creature's chest. "But you're just as dead as I am." Then it laughed, a terrible gurgling sound. The creature's eyes widened as the group came into view, and Torin turned to see his son and nephew safely alive. "Boys! Am I glad to see you lads unhurt!" he said. "I was just about to dispatch this monster. Caught him setting fire to the barn. Managed to set the animals free after I felled him, but...things look bad."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Veric

"Pa!" The relief in his voice was unmistakable as he ran up to his father, skirting the felled creature on the ground.

"We took care of the three of these things that attacked the inn." He gestured to the group to encompass them in his "we".

"Aubrin knows a safe place in the woods. Where's Ma?"
    The tension that had eased upon seeing his father unhurt returned to sit in his chest and he held his breath unconsciously as he readied himself to hear the worst.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Torg Stone

Torg knelt next to the wounded hobgoblin, keeping his axe at the ready.
    He spoke in the Goblin tongue, having mastered it long ago as a younger dwarf.
    <Goblin> "Name and rank, soldier."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Phaendar, Outskirts

The hobgoblin sneered at Torg and spat. The dwarf then heard the click of the creature's teeth as he firmly shut his mouth, giving the dwarf a look of pure hatred.

Spoiler: Torg
    Show
    You spot the dull glint of a hidden weapon in the folds of the hobgoblin's uniform.

As Torg knelt by the hobgoblin, Torin stepped back and over to Veric, embracing the young man wordlessly, and beckoned Septimus over. "Your ma's in the house," he replied to Veric, "Gathering supplies quickly before we hit the Fangwood. If you could urge her to hurry things along..." The farmer cast a glance toward the center of town where many small tongues of flame danced on the rooftops of the village.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    You spot the hobgoblin's light steel shield, longbow, and longsword laying off to the side. His quiver with 20 arrows is still on his back. He also has trail rations and a waterskin worth 1 provision point together.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2017-03-30 at 01:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Septimus smiled wanly and clapped his uncle on a shoulder. "I can't believe you beat a hobgoblin soldier with a pitchfork. Get his weapons. I'll go hurry Aunt Alma along before she tries to make us all sandwiches."

He made a few steps towards the house, then paused with a look back to Torg and their "captive". "Stuff a rag in his mouth, then break a kneecap." He continued in <Goblin>, "They'll give you a clean death if you tell them what they want to know. Otherwise they're just going to hurt you and leave you here."

Spoiler: Intimidate
    Show
    (1d20+10)[12]

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Ulva

Watching the familial gathering, Ulva tilted her head slightly before walking over to the leading pair of elves. Her feet shifted weight frequently and her eyes darted towards her distant home and farmstead. She couldn't make out any fires from here but she didn't exactly have clear line of sight either. Her gut wrenched and churned at the uncertainty before finally it gurgled forth into a stunted sentence "Farmhouse. Mine. Not far from Oreld's..." She looked towards Jocasa and then over to Aidan, a handful of gold pieces cradled in her upward facing palm extended towards them.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Veric

Veric silently relented to his father's hug before his eyes moved to follow his father's and he turned and quickly moved to the house.

"Ma! We're leaving now!" He entered through the back door, anxious but wary as he called for his mother to hurry.
    #Notallinfluencers

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Torg Stone

"Watch it, this one's got a trick up his sleeve."
    Torg made a grab for the hobgoblin's hidden weapon; if the injured soldier tried anything foolish, he had a meaty dwarven fist itching for some goblinoid face to dissuade any resistance.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Phaendar, Reid Residence

Veric's mother was in sight, hurriedly shoving items she couldn't live without into a knapsack. "Just one more minute..." She paused, seeing the look on Veric's face and nodded. "Very well, this will have to do."

Show
    You recover (1d6)[3] Provision Points from Alma's expert packing.

If the hobgoblin was in any way intimidated by Septimus, he showed no sign of it. He made a grab for the dagger Torg extracted from his gear, but the dwarf was a half-second quicker. The hobgoblin looked around him sullenly and then closed his eyes, awaiting his fate with stoic determination.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Jocasa

"You've got a deal." The elf took the gold - Aidan wouldn't let her forget it if she gave it up - and leaned over to her brother. "How bad would it slow us down to hit her farmstead?"

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Veric

"We're hitting the shop next, trying to gather as much supplies and as many survivors as possible before we head into the woods." He took his mother's hand with the one that wasn't holding the procured longsword and led her out of the house and back to the group.

"Let's keep moving." He rejoined the others as the Dwarf grabbed the dagger from the hobgoblin's reach.

"Finish that one and let's go." A grimace of disgust curled his lips as he glared at the fallen creature on the ground.
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2017-03-30 at 12:05 PM.
    #Notallinfluencers

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Torg Stone

Torg sheathed the dagger in his belt, then gave Veric a nod. He brought his axe down in a two-handed swing to the hobgoblin's neck. It was the first time the axe had tasted goblin blood in a long, long time. The ghost of memory hovered briefly at the back of Torg's mind, but he focused on the task at hand.
    "Let's go."
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2017-03-30 at 12:10 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Phaendar

The party moved onward with the Reid parents in tow, marching order as before with the refugees moving carefully behind as they crept along the outskirts and back alleys of Phaendar. It was not long before they came to the scene of two Ironfang soldiers picking over the corpse of a fallen villager. One they immediately recognized as another hobgoblin, but the other was a mystery to all except Jocasa. As the adventurers came in sight, the closest turned and looked at the group, snarling at its companion and drawing its weapon.

Spoiler: Jocasa
    Show
    This muscular humanoid is a bugbear, the biggest and strongest of the common goblinoids. Bugbears speak Goblin and Common. As being considerably stronger, healthier and more light footed than the average human, bugbears have an affinity for moving quietly despite their bulk. Combined with their natural darkvision and acute sense of smell, these qualities add up to a creature very well suited for raids on camp sites in the dead of night. Bugbears tend to live in small tribal units, with the biggest and meanest of them the tribal leader by default. They tend to have but two goals in life: food and treasure, and a group of adventures would be considered a great source of both.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

Jocasa, Septimus, and Ulva go first, followed by the bad guys, then everyone. Please position yourselves somewhere in the yellow box (stealthy people in green) on the "Outskirts" map of the doc.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2017-03-30 at 01:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Aidan

Blending into the shadows of the burning buildings, Aidan managed to take the pair of creatures by surprise. Seizing the chance, he charged forward.

Spoiler: Partial Charge
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[21]
    Damage: (1d4+1)[5]
    Sneak Attack: (1d6)[5]

Crit: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (1d4+1)[3]

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Jocasa

Following her brother's charge, Jocasa also moved up to try to bring the brute down.

Show
    Attack: (1d20+3)[18]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[6] + (1d6)[1]

Crit?
    Attack: (1d20+3)[11]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[7]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Septimus barked out a quick incantation and flung another bright orb at the surprised hobgoblin. It curved out in a great arc before slamming the creature in the chest and throwing it off its feet.

Spoiler: Toppling MM
    Show
    (1d4+1)[2] damage
    (1d20+6)[18] trip vs cmd

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Phaendar, Outskirts

Seeing his looting partner cut down so easily, doubt crept into the hobgoblin's heart. Standing quickly, he decided discretion was the better part of valor and put distance between himself and his assailants.

Show
    Hob stands up and moves.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Veric

At the flurry of motion from the elves ahead, Veric drew his bow and watched with satisfaction as the pair dropped the big one. He drew his bow as he rushed forward and aimed, squinting into the darkness at the retreating hobgoblin.

Spoiler: Attack!
    Show
    Attack
    (1d20+7)[10]
    Damage
    (1d8+3)[11]
    Darkness miss chance
    (1d100)[26]
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2017-03-30 at 03:37 PM.
    #Notallinfluencers

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

hmm !!

Othniel's Ironfang Invasion I

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Aidan

Seeing the hobgoblin flee, Aidan rushed to pursue, the black blood of the bugbear flying from his blade.

Spoiler: Charge
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (1d4+1)[5]

Crit: (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage: (1d4+1)[3]
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2017-03-30 at 04:12 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.