New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Othniel's Ironfang Invasion I

"My name," the sorcerer paused, narrowing his eyes as the thrust the flame wand into Aidan's hand, "Is Septimus Severus. And my cousin and I are going scouting to see if there's anything more in this town that can be saved or salvaged. It is a terrible idea. If you're feeling brave or stupid or thanatotic, you may join us. Otherwise, hasten to the river with the others and make the bridge. It was clear when we passed five minutes ago. These people are far safer making a break for the woods than they are traipsing around town with us."

With that, he gave his aunt a peck on the forehead and slapped his uncle on the shoulder before heading south.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Phaendar

If Aubrin was angry or annoyed at the party's remarks, she didn't show it, and nodded as command of the refugees was given over to Torin. Before the larger group departed, the Ranger drew a bundle of arrows from her quiver and pressed them into Veric's hands. "You may need these," she said. "Be careful, all of you." She also took a few moments to heal the remaining wounds of the party.

Moments later, Torin, Aubrin the Green, and the other villagers filed away into the darkness, heading directly east for the copse of trees that ran north along the river for some hundred feet. Ulva's family each cast a look back toward their sister and daughter, and her father made the young woman promise to bring back her brother alive, or avenge him if otherwise.

Turning their thoughts and attentions back toward town, the party moved stealthily southward, past the town limits, and then west toward a large grove filled with elms and oaks. The sound of of battle and screams, and the crackle of fire diminished somewhat as they drew away, and the sound of a hoot owl could be heard in the trees a little further west. Soon, however, the group turned back north and slowly crept back into the village's limits, toward the Phaendar Trading Company, known colloquially as the blacksmith where the dwarf Kining held forth. As the building came within view, they could see that it was on fire. It was just a small patch, really, and did not seem to be growing quickly, but it would soon spread and those inside would only realize it too late. The wooden shutters were closed and appeared barred from the inside. Some piled furniture was visible through the windows, blocking them as an escape route.

In the yard out front, three hobgoblins prowled the area. Their tongues hung out and they moved slowly, almost as if they were injured.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Aubrin channels positive energy to heal for (2d6)[10]
    You have all arrived unseen, so feel free to place yourselves in the green before you start combat. We are technically not in combat, but because the fire is burning, we are in rounds.
    Spoiler: Torg and Veric
    Show
    The three hobgoblins in the front are moving rather lethargically, and appear to be suffering from...something.

Spoiler: Aidan
    Show
    You know that the workshop and living area are actually completely separated by a wall inside, so there is no way to get from one to the other without first stepping outside.

Spoiler: Aidan and Veric
    Show
    The thatch of the trading company appears wet, which should slightly slow the spread of fire, though it may great a greater amount of smoke inside, potentially suffocating anyone seeking refuge there.

Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Torg picks up a handful of small rocks, and whispers a spell over them. He then hands them to Aidan.
    "You've got a decent arm. These rocks will strike much harder than they look. I'm ready to take an axe to these hobgoblin bastards."

Show

Torg will cast Magic Stone and give the three rocks to Aidan. They will remain enchanted for 30 minutes.

Torg is ready to go!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Jocasa

"Crap, crap, crap." The elf dashed forward, grabbing one of the blankets Septimus had purloined from his back as she went (old habits died hard), and darted up the woodpile and onto the roof, slapping at the burning patch until it was out. Crouching low, she signaled for the others to make their own way up.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Septimus followed quickly behind Jo. When he reached the roof, he dropped to his belly and began picking out targets with his crossbow.

Spoiler: Stealth?
    Show
    (1d20+1)[20]

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Veric

Veric followed behind Jo and his cousin, up the log pile and onto the roof of the blacksmith. He stayed well back from the edge and crouched down on one knee as he peered down at their enemies.

"Something about them is off. Their movement, they seem, I don't know drugged or something."

Spoiler: Up on the roof
    Show
    Stealth
    (1d20+8)[26]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Aidan

Pocketing the stones from Torg, Aidan murmured his thanks as they approached the smoldering roof of the Trade Post. Seeing the group ascend the roof, he whispered as loud as he dared.

"Smother the top flame if you like, but if the thatch is caught and there are people in that room they may well suffocate before the fire fully dies."

His warning given, he ascended to the roof and made for the north.

Spoiler: Stealth
    Show
    (1d20+8)[28]

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Phaendar Trading Company

Four of the party climbed onto the roof, three of which moved stealthily. Jocasa, however, managed to step on a weak part of the roof and sent her foot through with a crack which sounded rather loud in her ears. The hobgoblin in the north of the Trading Company's yard turned his head at the sound.

"Hey, d'ya hear that?" he called to his companions.

"Probably just the fire spreadin' and crackin'!" one replied as he pawed through the belongings in the corpse pile. "Leastways, I don't feel up to checking it out. That thing roughed me up and Skarz didn't even make it out alive. You check it out if you want to, but I'm fer sittin' here and lettin' them humans roast."

The third merely rested against the fence to the coral, his tongue hanging out and chest heaving.

Show
    PCs are up. You may start combat if you wish. They are not aware of your presence, so you get surprise rounds. I will roll initiative for you once someone acts though.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

"Hey, d'ya hear that?"

Thunk. Septimus loosed a bolt at the first one that spoke. After hastily reloading, the second bolt went wide.

Spoiler: Crossbow!
    Show
    (1d20+1)[13]
    (1d8)[4]
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2017-04-18 at 11:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Phaendar Trading Company

"Ulk!" The first hobgoblin let out a grunt as Septimus' bolt caught him in the shoulder.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Everyone except Aidan and Ulva have won initiative, but you do have surprise round actions.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Torg Stone

Not being nearly as nimble as the others, and laden with heavy gear and burdensome armor, Torg skirts around the side of the building, axe and shield at the ready. As he rounds the corner, he gets right up to the hobgoblins, bellowing out a war cry.

Show

Torg will use his surprise round action to move... and then he'll move... and then move.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Aidan

Crouched in the thatch above one of the unsuspecting hobgoblins, Aidan palmed a vial of acid and sent it hurtling towards the monster's face.

Spoiler: Surprise!
    Show
    Sneak Attack: (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[5]
    Sneak Attack: (1d6)[4]

Crit: (1d20+5)[16]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[7]

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Veric

Heeding Aiden's warning that the people trapped inside the blacksmith may well suffocate before the small band was able to dispatch the hobgoblins, Veric ignored them for the time being and began to try and enlarge the hole Jo had made in the thatch roof in order to check on the people trapped within and allow fresh air to cycle in.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show

Two handed attack to the thatch with the longsword (surprise round)
    Attack
    (1d20+2)[11]
    Damage
    (1d8+3)[7]

He peered through the hole he had made only to see the dim glow of the forge and nothing else. Cursing, he realized the people trapped inside must be in the living area separated by a wall and he hurried over to the other side, planning to try again.
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2017-04-19 at 07:33 PM.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Jocasa

Seeing that Veric was already on the thatching problem, Jocasa stepped forward, throwing her trusty dagger. Then she repeated the action, in case the first one didn't take.

Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise Round:

Attack: (1d20-1)[19] (Accounts for Range Penalty) vs. Flat Footed
    Damage: (1d4+3)[7] + (1d6)[6] Sneak Attack

Round 1:

Attack: (1d20-1)[1] (Accounts for Range Penalty) vs. Flat Footed
    Damage: (1d4+3)[6] + (1d6)[6] Sneak Attack

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Ulva

Spear in hand the one-eyed warrior followed behind Torg, bellowing out a battle cry at the top of her lungs.

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Yeah, following Torg.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Phaendar Trading Company

The hobgoblins were taken (almost) completely by surprise. The northernmost of the three just had time to utter a gurgled "I told you so" before Aidan's vial of acid hit him in the face. His remaining companion wheeled on Torg and slashed at the dwarf with his longsword.

Show
    H1 attacks Torg: (1d20+2)[10]
    Damage: (1d8)[6]

H3 5'-steps, drops his sword, pulls out his bow, and shoots at Aidan: (1d20+3)[15]
    Damage: (1d8)[6]

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Ulva

Rounding the corner, Ulva dashed behind Torg and took up a combative stance over the shorter combatant. Her spear danced and bobbed overhead, the heavy head waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Torg Stone

The hobgoblin's sword came crashing down, but Torg brought his shield to meet it. He took a wide stance, letting the memory of his old training come back to him. Hobgoblin's had a low center of gravity, and had trouble protecting their ribs. He swung his axe in a low arc, turning upward at the last moment to swing the blade up into the hobgoblin's upper torso. However, the sweat on his palm caused the axe to twist, and the flat of the blade bounced off the creature's armor harmlessly. Torg gritted his teeth in frustration.

Show

Torg will attack with his axe! He gets a +1 against goblinoids due to racism.
    Attack: (1d20+3)[4]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[7]
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2017-04-20 at 01:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Veric

Ignoring the Hobgoblin's failed attacks at the others, Veric once again gripped his longsword in both hands and struck at the thatch roof.

Spoiler: Stabby
    Show
    Attack
    (1d20+2)[15]
    Damage
    (1d8+3)[6]
    #Notallinfluencers

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Septimus grunted, struggling to line up a shot in the fray. Any comments about rushing into melee and battle cries were choked down.

Spoiler: Pew pew
    Show
    (1d20-3)[16] regular non masterwork bolt
    (1d8)[2]

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Jocasa

Pleased that her first target went down, Jocasa thought about trying for a repeat performance, but knew she'd never make the rooftop shot over the shoulders of her companions and into the frenzied melee. Instead, she drew her next dagger and hopped down from the roof, circling to get behind the nearest hobgoblin.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Aidan

Pulling the last vial he'd brought with him, Aidan attempted to drown the hobgoblin's protestations in more acid.

Spoiler: Attack!
    Show
    Touch Attack: (1d20+5)[12]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[5]
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2017-04-21 at 01:02 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Phaendar Trading Company

The second acid vial hit. His flesh bubbling and sliding off onto the ground, the hobgoblin managed one short gurgling scream of agony before collapsing into the bubbling mess at his feet.

Glancing quickly in the direction of his fallen compatriot, the remaining hobgoblin side-stepped Jocasa and struck at her with his blade.

From inside the Trading Company came the sound of human voices. Finally realizing that they were no longer surrounded by hobgoblins, they'd started calling for help.

Show
    (1d20+2)[13]
    Damage: (1d8)[8]

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Veric

Intent on his thatch murder, Veric was relieved to hear voices coming from beneath his feet. He struck again to finish the hole he had started and shouted down into it,

"Is everybody in there alright? Get ready to run out, we're dealing with the last of the hobs now!"

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Attack
    (1d20+2)[9]
    Damage
    (1d8+3)[8]
    #Notallinfluencers

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Torg steps up to help Jocasa, swinging his axe at the hobgoblin's knees.
    "Hyaah!"
    But the swing is too wild, missing by a wide margin.
    "Damn! I'm rusty!"

Show

Attack: (1d20+3)[5]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[10]
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2017-04-21 at 02:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Jocasa

So thaaaat's his name.

Jocasa stepped back into proper flanking position and stabbed at the hobgoblin. "Don't worry, Rusty, I've got this!"

Show
    Attack: (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[5] + (1d6)[6] Sneak Attack

The blade skipped off of the goblinoid's armor. It made a disappointing *ptt* noise. Staring at the creature's death glare, Jocasa followed up on her previous assertion. "I do not have this! Kill it with fire!"
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2017-04-21 at 04:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Ulva

Watching the remaining hobgoblin dance and jerk around, Ulva slowly prowled forward before quickly lashing out over Torg's head and in conjunction with Jo.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack:(1d20+8)[11]
    Damage:(1d10+6)[13]
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

"You can't solve everything with fire!" Septimus rolled over long enough to pluck a wand from his coat pocket and cover the hobgoblin's sword with what he would later suspect to be coconut oil.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Aidan

His target fallen, Aidan turned his attention to the lone remaining Hobgoblin. At his distance, with the whirl of combat, there was little chance of Aidan striking true, so he elected to wait.

Show
    Aidan delays.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Phaendar Trading Company

Unfortunately for the remaining hobgoblin, Septimus' use of the wand was well-timed and the invader's longsword slipped out of his grip. Deciding it was too risky to go for his bow, the hobgoblin stepped to the side and hurled a punch at Jocasa.

On the roof, Veric stood by as smoke billowed out, seeking a way of escape from the enclosed building below. "The doors and windows are blocked and barricaded!" One of those inside shouted up to the ranger. "It'll take time to free one, unless you want to help by forcing the door. There's still a lot of smoke in here, and some folks have passed out. I'm...not sure they're breathing."

"Watch out if you enter the smithy," came another voice from within that Veric recognized as belonging to Kining, the town's cantankerous blacksmith. "Something fought those hobs in my workshop."

Show
    Five-foot step, followed by Unarmed Strike! (1d20+3)[21]
    Damage: (1d3+2)[5]
    Crit:(1d20+3)[11]
    Damage: (1d3+2)[5]

Edit: I forgot to factor in his sickened condition. Attack and Damage roll should be -2.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2017-04-23 at 12:49 PM.