New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default (M&M 3E) i need some help building a minion

so currently I'm in an AU rwby playing a character based off of Raiden (metal gear rising). I've got my body to where I want it and everything that i can do to it is basicly done. the one thing i am missing is wolf. ive been woundering if i should or should not have wolf but want to see how wolf would turn out if i did.

but there are some issues I'm running into with how I want the wolf to be...
    1. he is a construct which means no int and no pre. if I'm correct though wolf shouldn't be in the negatives or at least isn't that dumb to not be able to think on its own.
    2. I only have 2pp to spend on this minion advantage (30pps to make this minion). should I wait a bit more before making wolf?
    3. we are at PL 6. yes 6 which means to start off with we only had 90pp.
    4. for what I'm imagining for this wolf is for it to be able to change between two forms.
    1st form: the robotic wolf. cool not too hard to do.
    2nd form: motorcycle or car. finding that to be a bit tricky to work that in.
    I've looked at the alternate form and that doesn't seem to match what I want but I've also looked at shapeshifting but it cost way to much. i know you can put limitation -X per rank on shapeshift but im unsure how much of a limitation is acceptable for shapeshifting into only 1 other form. i do have someone else in the party using shapeshift but he is using it for 2 forms not one.
    for the alternate form it seems to be more for if you change the material you are into something else. also I can't tell if it stacks on top of your stats already or if it is its own stats seprate from the base form.

what way should I go about making wolf or will it not matter and I shouldn't even try to make it?
    mother always said "STAND BEHIND BRAUM" walks... BOOM!!! "ally has been slain" uooh thats gotta sting.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: (M&M 3E) i need some help building a minion

(Really this should be in the "Other RPGs" forum. That's where a lot of M&M discussion takes place, and there's been a thread on sidekick-vehicles recently).

There's no reason why, in M&M 3e, a "construct" needs to have no Int or Pre. Build your sidekick the way you want. "Being a robot" can be represented in many ways: absent Con is one, Immunity to biological effects is another.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

(i looked up a similar question and it was in this section so I posted it here)
    and yes i understand you can build them however you want but I don't think you fully know the rules for constructs. like 1. no construct can have a CON mod. if it does it isnt a constuct. 2. since thats the case they also are immune to all fort which gives it immunity fort.

-5 con is 10pp back
    immunity fort is 30pp
    constructs are not suppose to have either int and pre or str and agi (or some other physical trait) which gives back the other 20pp. so this does actual matter for a consturct
    mother always said "STAND BEHIND BRAUM" walks... BOOM!!! "ally has been slain" uooh thats gotta sting.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by lord4571 View Post
    Could you link us to that question?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by lord4571 View Post
    and yes i understand you can build them however you want but I don't think you fully know the rules for constructs. like 1. no construct can have a CON mod. if it does it isnt a constuct. 2. since thats the case they also are immune to all fort which gives it immunity fort.

-5 con is 10pp back
    immunity fort is 30pp
    constructs are not suppose to have either int and pre or str and agi (or some other physical trait) which gives back the other 20pp. so this does actual matter for a consturct
    I hadn't ready the rules on constructs before posting. Here they are.

Now I have.

Nothing I said is wrong.

Being a "construct" in M&M3 is a descriptor. It comes with no other baggage unless you want it to. You can have a Construct with Int, Pre, Str and Agi ability scores if you like (you can even play one), you can have a Construct that's not immune to Fort effects (which isn't a good way of modelling a construct despite what it says in the SRD).

Make your bike/wolf the way you want to make it. This isn't D&D 3.X, there are no "construct traits".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JustIgnoreMe View Post
    Make your bike/wolf the way you want to make it. This isn't D&D 3.X, there are no "construct traits".
    Indeed. M&M 3e is a phenomenally flexible system. There are usually several ways to make any given character or power-- look at all of them and pick the one whose quirks fit your concept best. (Or the cheapest).

For the shapeshifting, you want Morph 1, Metamorph, Continuous for 7 points. That'll let you switch between two forms, and shuffle your points around between them.

For the robot... I'm honestly not a fan of the "Absent Stamina" method. It creates all sorts of oddness with how damage works, and there are plenty of powers that would plausibly affect a robot and be resisted by Fortitude-- imagine an acid-based Weaken effect, say. Immunity 5 (Aging, Disease, Poison, Chemical) or Immunity 5 (Biological effects) should cover a lot of ground; you'd probably throw in another Immunity 10 (Mental effects) unless you choose to give them Absent Intellect or Presence.

For your specific case, I'd probably go with Absent Presence. That gives you a total of 40 points to play with. You lose 7 for the Morph power and another 5 for the robot-immunity, leaving you with 28 points even before you look at reducing other abilities (Dex seems like a good one to have low, as does Int). You should be fine.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use