New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default 101 Atypical Barbarians

Because the Paladin and Warlock threads clearly weren't enough.

We all know the type. Hulking brutes big on muscle and short on brains who smash first and leave the questions to the Cleric who knows Speak With Dead. Straightforward, predictable, cookie-cutter and kind of boring anywhere outside a fight.

But why settle for that?

1. The Intellectual (Heresy! Heresy I tell you!)

Sure, he can bash brains in with the best of them, but he actually knows how to use his own. And what's more, he seems to be rather fond of it. After a hard bloody battle, he'll often find the comfiest corpse of his fallen foes to sit down on and pull out that book he's been reading lately because the attack came right when he was getting to the good part.

2. The Wide-Eyed Wild Man

He seemed to be the typical backwater brute who knew only how to beat things into submission. Then you took him into the city. Now it takes three grown men to drag him away from the latest trapping of civilization that has caught his interest that he absolutely must know how it works. Like the water pump (Water from the ground!). Or the cart (Wheels! Amazing!). And heaven forbid he find an alchemist's shop, because the last one still hasn't forgiven your party for what happened.

3. The Sultry

Who knew a barbarian could be so dashing? Or eloquent? You certainly didn't until she started literally charming the pants off the local nobility. She never seems to spend the night alone, and rarely with only one person. After all, few can keep up with her unaided.
    Last edited by Crisis21; 2017-03-28 at 02:44 PM.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 101 Atypical Barbarians

4. The Barkeep
    Owning a business is tough work, to keep the drunk-addled adventurers from wrecking your beautiful tavern or inn, you had to learn to brawl like the best of 'em. it is quite possible that when your story begin, the other players came to your tavern and started a barfight, and you have accompanied them on their quest because they owe you for the damages.

5. The angry General
    Rage isn't just for killing your enemies, y'know - it's also for keeping your party in line! YOU BETTER GET MAD AND WHIP YOUR PUNY WIZARD INTO SHAPE! NO TIME FOR LONG RESTS, MAGGOT! NOW GO DO 10 LAPS AROUND THE FOREST! ON THE DOUBLE, PRIVATE!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Can't believe no one has posted this one yet...

6. The Wizard -

This guy is convinced that he can do everything the party Wizard can. He sees the Wizard "Inflict Wounds"? He shouts "Inflict Critical Wounds" while swinging his axe. The Wizard casts a fireball? Our friend finds a strong spirit and some matches and shouts the same as he pegs it at a nearby foe. Shamelessly taken from this post on this very forum...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...rbarian-Wizard
    I broadcast my weekly D&D 3.5 game on twitch!

www.twitch.tv/myrongains7

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Its entirely possible to face a CR appropriate drow opponent who has a 55-60% chance to ignore your swag.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

7. The Cop.
    A calm, polite boy/girl. Not stupid, and is capable of basic investigative work. When they meet enemies, pulls their badge out, and the reads the riot act to all and sundry. Asks them nicely to surrender, and if that fails, pulls out a massive axe and goes to town on everybody involved.

Love some of suggestions here, especially the angry general. I want to create that character already.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2017-03-28 at 03:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

8. The Love Martyr

A downtrodden soul bereft of love and happiness. He's wishy-washy, awkward, unsure of himself and habitually fades into the background. After all, who would want to associate with such a loser with all these giants of Charisima and competance around? However, one person does show some sign of affection to the Love Martyr, and he hangs onto that with all his might. He may become an overawed friend, an obsessed stalker or a henpecked lover, but he will never leave his love object for longer than it takes to run an errand, and even then they will always be in his thoughts.

Motivated by the one person to show kindness, this fortunate unfortunate will brave any danger, endure any pain and crush any obstacle in the name of their affection. His love will grant him the strength to batter through torments and ignore injuries, frequently leading to him returning on the brink of collapse. If for any reason, the object of his love is lost to him, the consquences will not be pretty...

9. The Resolute

A quiet person with a duty. She faces all of life's problems with a stoic face and unflinching attitude. She's not emotionless by any means, but come snow or shine she will persevere with what needs to be done. When the going gets tough, she tightens up her belt, drawstrings and other fasteners and relentlessly pushes on. Come hell or high water, NOTHING is going to stop her.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In a game I ran a few years ago I had a barbarian npc that was an Intellectual (scholar and scribe). His primary quirk was that he always went last in the first round of any combat no matter what his Initiative was because he had to fold up his glasses and put them away.
    Although we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

10. The Fearful
    This barbarian is actually pretty afraid of a lot. He is timid, he worries, he trembles in fear all the way through a dungeon, but when combat starts and he stars freaking out in fear too much, he enters a heightened state of fear that makes him the most dangerous thing in the world, lashing out fearfully at everything around him until everything is dead, then when he returns to his usual demeanor he looks around fearfully and asks that they get going, lest whatever caused this slaughter returns to come for him.

11. The Mother.
    Don't. Ever. Threaten. Any. Child. Around. Her. EVER.

12. The Destroyer
    He demands respect. He will not brook any disrespect to his person, he will eat any food he wants, enjoy it for all its culinary delights as he is an epicurean, and will respect others in turn. But if you do not share food with him, or if you insult him, he will kill you and your entire town.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

13. The Spiritual.

You could swear he was some kind of monk. He smiles gently, he has a knowing air about him. He speaks at length about listening to the spirits and becoming one with the wild. Even in the heat of battle, he has an easy calm about him. When he eats, he savors every bite; when he sleeps, it's like looking at a dozing bear cub. You could swear you've caught him purring on at least one occasion.

You expected more than this. You expected loud, furious, destructive. Sure, there's no questioning his power. And you've seen him get genuinely frustrated at times when it comes to what he calls the "overstepping" of civilization. And he still can't read two letters together.

But you didn't expect this. This almost serene being, this creature of the wild world taken human form.

14. The Feral Child.

She was raised by wolves, they say. She couldn't tell you what kind of animal they actually were; she just called them "Ma" and "Da." "They were fluffy," she says if asked.

She is certainly a simple creature. Not necessarily in a bad way. Of the world, she knows nothing. Oh, she knows how to find her way in a wood, and she can spot when an animal has marked its territory. (If you don't keep an eye on her, she'll try to mark over it.) But of roads, and nations, and the scientific names for things, she knows nothing - and she doesn't care to. "Why bother?" she asks innocently. "Will knowing the name of this flower make it smell better? Will knowing how the sun moves make a sunrise less beautiful?"

There's a certain innocence to how she lives her life. You wouldn't know it from her appalling lack of manners, or her frankly terrifying animalistic battle-frenzy, but she seems to be a genuinely happy person. Always the first awake to greet the sunrise. (Literally greet it - she says "Good morning," almost as if she expects a response.) She is always happy to meet new people. (You've taught her not to sniff them so conspicuously.)

You wouldn't mind it quite so much if she were a bit less physical, less energetic. It can be hard to keep a handle on her sometimes. But a part of you prays that the world doesn't take that innocence away. Not from this one.
    Last edited by Red Fel; 2017-03-28 at 07:23 PM.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Here's two that I've played

15. The Rebellious Prince
    Sure, dad's got a fancy piece of metal to put on his head, so what? He's still got a stick shoved so far up his arse I'm surprised he doesn't cough splinters. Me, I'm more interested in seeing the lands that my big brother will "rule" one day. So long as no one calls me a prince. I hate the title, so word of warning: don't call me that if you want to live.

16. The Aristocrat
    He's the son of some baron or count or duke or whatever fancy-pants title, and he's all too eager to let you know it. Thing is, he's one of the most deadly blades I've ever seen. Especially when someone has the gall to hit him. Seriously, I saw someone hit him over the head with a bar stool and he just grit his teeth before standing up and ripping the idiot's tongue out with his bare hands. Yes, he's the most arrogant SOB I've ever met, but I don't want to be on the receiving end of his temper.
    Come check out my setting blog: Ruins of the Forbidden Elder

Inspired by LudicSavant, I am posting deities: Erebos, The Black Sun

10. - Top - End - #10

The Grad Student - Deciding to write your graduate thesis on the sociology of adventurers seemed like a good idea at the time. It's barely been ever studied, and seems like it would be fascinating! Unfortunately, adventurers refuse to talk to an outsider unless there is money in the offing. So, you become an adventurer! How hard could it be? Magic gives you the willies, but you were in pretty good shape from your intramural sports team. How hard could it be? You last for three days at the rogue training school because you've got the agility, but enthusiasm doesn't seem to make up for a complete lack of subtlety. The rangers kicked you out after you kept feeding treats to the animals. At the first knightly order you applied to, you got into a fist fight with another recruit over some racist bull**** he was spouting. He was a noble, so you are expelled AND banned from any of the other orders in the city. Defeated, you head to a tavern and pour out your frustration and worries to a wizened old dwarf, whose grin gets wider and wider as you recount your tale. When you're done, he tells you he is going to teach you the mystical art of arse-kicking and to meet him outside the city tomorrow. Eventually, you will learn that for some people enthusiasm is at least as important as skill.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

18. The Explorer: When this man from a faraway village somewhere in the middle of nowhere first saw city life, ya know what he said? "These savages have some strange habits" ha! He thinks that all the civilized people are is ignorant savages in denial, and believes that it is his job to teach them "proper" behavior as determined by his tribe.

This guy believes that what those city slickers call barbaric is actually the best way to live, and that they are ignorant bumpkins practicing strange and superstitious rituals such as "going to university" and trading in worthless metal discs. Because really the only currency worth using is cattle and the furs of the dire orangutan
    Last edited by Samzat; 2017-03-28 at 11:39 PM.

barbarian speak bold and never capital letter or second/first person pronoun just like comic man do!

GitP: the only forum where discussions get more brainy over time!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

19, The Paladin: He's on a grand quest from his god to smite the wicked and save the world. He's accompanied by his loyal, but none too bright, steed. That his god hasn't seen fit to grant him the normal assortment of powers is beside the point; it just means smiting evil in a righteous fervor is a tad more tiring than it ought to be.

(Spoiler Alert: he would have gotten the usual powers if he were more Lawful)
    Last edited by Bucky; 2017-03-29 at 12:14 AM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

20. The accursed. Inhabited by a demonic spirit of rage, he knows no emotions other than barbaric fury and is numb whenever his blood stops boiling.

Shamelessly ripped from Record of Lodoss War.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

21. The Self-Exile

He hated civilisation, the grinding oppression of 9-5 jobs, sneering cliques and parasitic upper classes. So he decided to turn his back on it and head into the wilderness. He's never been happier.

(Slightly stolen from Mr Saveloy, the barbarian ex-schoolteacher, for whom the terrible hazards and daily risk of death were preferable to having to teach another class.)

22. The Berserker

He's the king's honoured guard, and he behaves like it. He moves in exalted circles, appreciating all that they have to offer. He discusses politics and scholarship at banquets, plays complex games of strategy in his spare time, and reads the works of the poets and philosophers of far-off lands. All the while, he is dressed in the finest clothes, under a magnificent cloak crafted by the finest furrier from a mighty bear's hide.

And then comes the time to fight. The king's wizards and alchemists prepare brews and potions that drive him and the other berserkers into a frenzy of rage and destruction terrifying to behold.
    Last edited by Kami2awa; 2017-03-29 at 02:32 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

22. The Librarian

Built like a mountain, strong as a ogre, and tough as hobnails the Librarian will ensure there is quiet in his library come hell or high water. Woe to those would turn a borrowed book in late, and never has anybody seen such rage over a damaged books.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    22. The Librarian

Built like a mountain, strong as a ogre, and tough as hobnails the Librarian will ensure there is quiet in his library come hell or high water. Woe to those would turn a borrowed book in late, and never has anybody seen such rage over a damaged books.
    Conan the Librarian?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Kami2awa View Post
    Conan the Librarian?
    That was what I was going for. I had a 3.5 character Corbin the Librarian Barbarian, he was a half orc.

18. - Top - End - #18

23. The Street Rat

From poverty and humble origins, they have learned to make due and survive in the harshest of urban conditions.
    Last edited by N810; 2017-03-29 at 03:38 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

24. The Chef

He loves to cook, and he's darn good at it. He could probably open a four, maybe even a five, star restaurant if he ever decided to settle down. The only thing is, he likes to experiment with exotic meats and ingredients. The fresher the better. So, obviously, the solution is to go out and kill his main course personally.
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jendekit View Post
    16. The Aristocrat.
    Credit for credit due. Only because you got there before me. A character I played once, before I realized there was a PrC for it.

25. The Noble

He wasn't any different than the other noble boys. No more clever. No more handsome. No less immature. He took to the dueling just as all his friends did. He took to celebrative balls just as all the young and idle rich did. He did not take to the robbery and worse of his Mother's carriage, as he escorted her to a nearby villa for tea. He doesn't speak of the "incident", as other nobles call it. But he returned from it much changed. Plus one large head scar, less one parent, and suddenly lacking in ordinary skills. No longer was he able to read, or remember which fork to use on which course. He started carrying his dueling blades with him almost religiously, though he seems to have lost the grasp of tactics for their use. He can fight, but I have never seen a lad break more rapiers and knives off -inside- their opponent. As for the parties, well, he still attends. But even the most jaded of ballroom belles can feel the anger festering inside him.

I had him using light, finesse weapons, without any of the feats to make them worthwhile. Sure, it made for a weaker character, but it was so much -fun-!
    Last edited by Dappershire; 2017-03-30 at 01:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NOhara24 View Post
    6. The Wizard -

This guy is convinced that he can do everything the party Wizard can. He sees the Wizard "Inflict Wounds"? He shouts "Inflict Critical Wounds" while swinging his axe. The Wizard casts a fireball? Our friend finds a strong spirit and some matches and shouts the same as he pegs it at a nearby foe. Shamelessly taken from this post on this very forum...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...rbarian-Wizard
    I think this is relevant.

26. The Anklebiter - Halflings are often considered the last people who'd attempt to crush their enemies, see them driven before them and hear the lamentation of their women, but people who believe that never met this pint-sized powerhouse. She stands up for herself and won't take short jokes from anybody. Last person who did got headbutted in the groin! She's skilled with cutting her enemies down to size, often taking a halfling-sized greatsword to their kneecaps!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    24. The Chef

He loves to cook, and he's darn good at it. He could probably open a four, maybe even a five, star restaurant if he ever decided to settle down. The only thing is, he likes to experiment with exotic meats and ingredients. The fresher the better. So, obviously, the solution is to go out and kill his main course personally.
    I'm surprised. When I saw the title of this one I was sure it was going to be a Gordon Ramsay joke
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I'm surprised. When I saw the title of this one I was sure it was going to be a Gordon Ramsay joke
    Actually, it's more of a reference to the Toriko manga. Never read it myself, but the premise (i.e. mighty warrior fights ferocious monsters and then cooks them, and this is the planet's main industry) seemed appropriately ridiculous.
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    22. The Librarian

Ook?

27. The Butler

"Yes, my liege, I'll get this cart out of your way immediately. RAWR...."

Attending to all the master's needs can be tough on the high roads and dungeon stops, but it's always nice to have something to do to let off a bit of steam. Like biting someone's nose off.

Based on Willikins, butler extraordinaire.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

27. The Social Justice Warrior

This barbarian wholeheartedly believes in a very narrow definition of "good" based on their political beliefs. If someone expresses an opinion that even slightly conflicts with this, they become extremely angry.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

thank you!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

28. The Consumer on the Edge

If I see another $#%@ advertisement, I'm going to- ARRRRRRRHGHLBHLGHLBHLGH!!!
    I don't mean to brag - it just sort of happens.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

The Gladiator

He's been a pit fighter for years now, has a nice income from endorsements, & a nice life. He isn't the best warrior, but sometimes he just feels it, everything flows. His reactions are perfect, his strikes cleaner & more focused. He loves the feeling, that's why he fights so hard. It's like he is the wind.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

30.) The Stray- This person has no home or culture, they started life as a thrall to a mindflayer enclave but were set adrift when it was destroyed by a demonic incursion
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

31. The Philosopher

Wandering far from home, the philosopher has seen many things. Knowing when to hold back, when to let go. They know which path to take despite the fact they can't read road signs. And if you should encounter a "wise" man, be careful. All the wise say will be carefully examined, and slowly taken apart. Quote the great works in response and the problems with each will be brought forward. Many wise leave, in a huff, complaining how they wasted their time on an "uncultured barbarian".