New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Nautical Nonsense - The Life That's Ahead of Me

Cassandra takes the map and attempts to interpret it.

[What sort of roll would it be? ]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

"Thanks," Yorkin smiles at Nassirah, "Probably best for all to simply arrange a meeting with Elissa tomorrow."

A mystic wind suddenly swirls around the sorcerer as he flies over to take a look at the map, "I'm hoping we can get some deeper insight from her," he adds casually, then stares at Nassirah intently as he lands beside Searil and concludes with a wink, "perhaps we can convince her to give us more information about the temple than she thinks is wise to share with her own people. After all, the initial proposal was exclusive rights to come and go as we please, a large gesture of trust on her part."
    Last edited by Gryndel; 2018-02-09 at 10:43 PM.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

3. - Top - End - #483
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Cassandra takes the map and attempts to interpret it.

[What sort of roll would it be? ]
    Let's make it an Intelligence roll, add in proficiency if you're proficient with cartographer's tools or something like that. Also, roll with Advantage thanks to Seagull's help.

Quote Originally Posted by penanghill View Post
    Seagull takes the parchment and passes it to Cassandra, hoping that she may discern some information about the route to the temple from it.
    Nassirah, can you arrange for us to meet with Elissa? If Master Yorkin chooses so, we would do well to ask for salves, and to wait until tomorrow for it.
    Seagull defers to Yorkin, and stands beside Cassandra, looking over her shoulder at the map, hoping to glean something from it.
    "Of coursse. I can arrange a meeting for later today."

OOC: In your next post, everyone should give their surface thoughts of the situation with the Yuan-Ti and the journey (including if you have a preference as to when you'll go).

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

This is so cool! I wonder if the yuan-ti will let me sketch them at work. Are my birds going to be fine? I'm sure the crew can care for them. Is there an elemental convergence here? Do they use a currency system? Are there any unique snakes here? I should ask the yuan-ti! Nassirah, are there any special snakes or other animals here I could see?
    Last edited by RickAllison; 2018-02-10 at 04:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #485

They probably don't want to hear the word of the one true god. It's a shame, but I suppose I must make some effort to show them the benefits of Herionious.

Int check (1d20+4)[13]
    (1d20+4)[8]

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhinTheCape View Post
    "Of coursse. I can arrange a meeting for later today."
    Good, we would be pleased to meet the lady.

Seagull's thoughts flicker upon the danger presented by this island, potentially a simmering threat, equally from its inhabitants or from the temple itself. He feels prepared for the adventure to the temple, and wants to make a start as soon as possible on the next day, once they have been given the salves. Overall, he feels that the opportunity to aid the Yuan-ti will provide the party with a structure in which they can operate to mutual benefit.

7. - Top - End - #487

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Nassirah, are there any special snakes or other animals here I could see?
    The Hitotee Viper, a snake that can cause the trees to shake and bring its victims to its knees. Be careful if you do encounter one.

Int check [roll0]
    [roll1]
    So, you have no trouble reading the map and are confident that you could follow the path - is there anything specific you were hoping to gain from the check?

8. - Top - End - #488
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Seagull leans over Cassandra's shoulder, and mutters to her in a rough whisper:

Does it show any dangers along the route, that perhaps might be safe for Yuan-ti but dangerous for us? Such as quicksand or swamps? Any sign of the Hitotee Viper? Are there any features that might indicate a trap or other peril laid in waiting by ancient builders?
    Spoiler: Cassandra
    Show
    Up to you if you want to look for any of this stuff, or something else ...

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

"The Hitotee Viper eh? Anything else particular to this island we should know about, Narrisah?"

Yorkin's thoughts tend to focus heavily on what he's engaged in, so primarily concern about the situation here and what dangers might threaten him and his shipmates. He's never really trusted Narrisah, but has come to respect her as he vocalized previously. He deeply hopes her people are being sincere in their desire to change from their ancestors' ways. Ultimately, the possibility of gaining a monopoly on trade here is the highest motivation.
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

10. - Top - End - #490

Quote Originally Posted by Gryndel View Post
    "The Hitotee Viper eh? Anything else particular to this island we should know about, Narrisah?"
    "Nothing that comesss to mind straight away. There are, of course, dangerous animals in the jungle. But, living so close to we who would hunt them, they tend to ssstay away."

Does it show any dangers along the route, that perhaps might be safe for Yuan-ti but dangerous for us? Such as quicksand or swamps? Any sign of the Hitotee Viper? Are there any features that might indicate a trap or other peril laid in waiting by ancient builders?
    OOC: Just to save some time (and because you assisted anyway) there is no indication of anything safe for them but dangerous for you (they would have no reason to put this on a map). There is an area of what looks like more trees/undergrowth. No signs of the viper. No indications of a trap in the jungle.

11. - Top - End - #491

Nassirah senses that there are no further questions and begins to walk toward the door. "Elissa will sssee you now, if you would like. Any number of you."

12. - Top - End - #492

I will go. In case there are any questions about the arcane. Cassandra offers.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

I suppose I should go, I did rather set us up for whatever feelings she may hold toward us.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Troll in the Playground

Yorkin shrugs, "I think it's best if we all go, so Elissa has the chance to meet all those who came here to help her people."
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

15. - Top - End - #495

"Then let usss go."

Nassirah leads anyone interested back to Elissa's house. It looks no different than it did before - the elder Yuan-Ti is already waiting for you, admiring some of the art and pottery filling the room. She does not seem to acknowledge your entrance, she simply waits for you to speak.

Nassirah, unless invited, will leave the house shortly after you arrive.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Then let usss go."

Nassirah leads anyone interested back to Elissa's house. It looks no different than it did before - the elder Yuan-Ti is already waiting for you, admiring some of the art and pottery filling the room. She does not seem to acknowledge your entrance, she simply waits for you to speak.

Nassirah, unless invited, will leave the house shortly after you arrive.
    Seagull thanks Nassirah and acknowledges her as she leaves.

Seagull offers a humble greeting to Elissa and introduces the group including Xyrtranna.

We are here to offer our services as adventurers, we seek to aid you in restoring the protection to the island. We have been explained the nature of the task we must complete, and Nassirah told us of the two layers of defenses. But what lies in the temple ... of that we know nothing. We thought you might be able to talk of some old stories of the temple. With your wisdom and guidance, we might learn something about it before we enter its walls.

17. - Top - End - #497

But what lies in the temple ... of that we know nothing. We thought you might be able to talk of some old stories of the temple. With your wisdom and guidance, we might learn something about it before we enter its walls.
    She pauses for a time, seeming to enjoy making you wait. "I do have a story that may give you insight into the temple.

The last party to enter the temple came on a large ship - a crew of so called warriors with a magic wielder to reveal our location. They were led under the banner of a bird and under the guise of 'ridding the world of the Yuan-Ti' scourge. While I urged our strongest to drive the invaders out, they cautioned hostile action and felt we should give the arrivals a chance.

Their deaths were a disgrace, only those of us smart enough to hide away survived. The mage used their magic to locate the temple and took a group to take down the barrier. The mage and her party were successful in removing the defenses, obviously. But they never returned from the temple.

My survivors held back until such a time that the invaders were comfortable. Soon, they had no boat. Soon, they were no more.

My wisdom is this: You need not survive to complete your quest. Night in the jungle can be unpleasant for those who do not belong." There is a glint in her eyes and spite in her words.

OOC: If you are looking to get something in particular from her, please roll an appropriate check. Otherwise, she will be hard to get useful information from.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

She pauses for a time, seeming to enjoy making you wait. "I do have a story that may give you insight into the temple.

The last party to enter the temple came on a large ship - a crew of so called warriors with a magic wielder to reveal our location. They were led under the banner of a bird and under the guise of 'ridding the world of the Yuan-Ti' scourge. While I urged our strongest to drive the invaders out, they cautioned hostile action and felt we should give the arrivals a chance.

Their deaths were a disgrace, only those of us smart enough to hide away survived. The mage used their magic to locate the temple and took a group to take down the barrier. The mage and her party were successful in removing the defenses, obviously. But they never returned from the temple.

My survivors held back until such a time that the invaders were comfortable. Soon, they had no boat. Soon, they were no more.

My wisdom is this: You need not survive to complete your quest. Night in the jungle can be unpleasant for those who do not belong." There is a glint in her eyes and spite in her words.
    Seagull glances at his companions grimly. He thinks to himself ... We were deluded to think there was a plan. She is clearly insane, what agreement do we have here? If the temple does not kill us, then these snake people surely will, they have no reason to trust us as any different from those who have come before us.

Seagull says nothing, but looks to Yorkin for direction, both as a leader, but also his ability to make sense or come to terms with Elissa.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Oh hah! I hope I haven't killed the mood! Someone please jump in and rescue the plot line! We should convince them to ensure our safety!
    Last edited by penanghill; 2018-02-25 at 04:27 AM.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Troll in the Playground

Yorkin seems to have infinite patience as he waits for Elissa to speak. When she does, he listens closely and pays particular attention to her tone and body language, and any other sign he could possibly pick up on to give him some insight into this situation and her response.

Spoiler: Insight
    Show
    (1d20)[13]

"Fascinating," he smiles slightly, "though our ideas about a successfully completed quest seem to differ slightly from yers, the gist of yer wisdom is poignant."

He flashes Xyltranna a quick glance as he pauses a moment, then turns back to Elissa and adds, "Regardless, yer words strike my ears as sage advice, for which I thank ye. We were told ye might be able to provide some concoction that could assist us, should poison become an issue, if we wait until morning."
    Game on...

MW
    Ryclend Game OOC Dice

20. - Top - End - #500

Spoiler: Insight
    Show

Elissa is biased against any Yuan-Ti and seems to enjoy scaring them. Whether this is due to the attacks on her village, belief in traditional Yuan-Ti beliefs, or a combination of those you are unsure.

As far as you can tell, she does not care if you die on the mission but you don't think she is actually threatening to kill you in the middle of the night. Probably.

Elissa looks over the group, her tongue quickly flitting in and out as she speaks. "We are naturally resistant to the poisonous creatures of the jungle. By morning, I can have three vials of antitoxin for you, but we do not have time to create any more."

Xyltranna, for her part, is visibly angered by the story but says nothing, only gripping her sword tighter. Elissa notices this and seems to be pleased with drawing out this reaction.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Elissa looks over the group, her tongue quickly flitting in and out as she speaks. "We are naturally resistant to the poisonous creatures of the jungle. By morning, I can have three vials of antitoxin for you, but we do not have time to create any more."
    Seagull is more reassured by the offer of antitoxin.
    We appreciate your aid, Elissa. I hope we prove ourselves more worthy of your trust than those who came before.
    After the others have had their chance to speak, he intends to take his leave of Elissa, and to seek out Narissah once more.

22. - Top - End - #502

There is no need to worry about my survival. Heironous guides and protects me. Cassandra pipes up.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

There is no need to worry about my survival. Heironous guides and protects me. Cassandra pipes up.
    Seagull nods in agreement, That is in our favour!.

24. - Top - End - #504

As the meeting comes to a close, Nassirah comes back to the house and escorts you back to where you will be staying. "It appearsss that you have the rest of the day to yourselvesss. Let me know if there is something ssspecific that I can can do for you."

OOC: You are free to walk around town if you would like and/or prepare for the trip tomorrow. Please post what you would like to get done or confirm you'll go to bed for the night.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As the meeting comes to a close, Nassirah comes back to the house and escorts you back to where you will be staying. "It appearsss that you have the rest of the day to yourselvesss. Let me know if there is something ssspecific that I can can do for you."
    Nassirah, Elissa spoke of the last party who ventured to the temple. Do you remember them? How did they know about the function of the temple to hide the island? Do we face danger from the villagers as revenge for their actions? How can we let them know we are here to help?

26. - Top - End - #506

Nassirah, Elissa spoke of the last party who ventured to the temple. Do you remember them? How did they know about the function of the temple to hide the island? Do we face danger from the villagers as revenge for their actions? How can we let them know we are here to help?
    "Thisss party she described... the only one could be the bastards who dessstroyed our protection. We have not had any othersss travel to the temple. I'm sure Elissa did not seem the type to invite outsiders to try.

I do not know if they were aware of what was in the temple - to the attackersss, it was simply an important building to be plundered.

The villagersss here are not looking for trouble - most sssimply hope to get back to their old lives. As long as you do nothing to provoke them, you ssshould be fine."

27. - Top - End - #507
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Thisss party she described... the only one could be the bastards who dessstroyed our protection. We have not had any othersss travel to the temple. I'm sure Elissa did not seem the type to invite outsiders to try.

I do not know if they were aware of what was in the temple - to the attackersss, it was simply an important building to be plundered.

The villagersss here are not looking for trouble - most sssimply hope to get back to their old lives. As long as you do nothing to provoke them, you ssshould be fine."
    Seagull feels relieved to hear Narissah's reassurance:
    "Then we might find some trace of their grim end in the temple, and that might be a clue about how to reactivate the protection. To avoid any problems I will keep to the hut ... I'll stay out of trouble that way. I'll get ready for the expedition. But first, Narissa, will you tell villagers that we are here to help? By our deeds they will see that."

28. - Top - End - #508

Seagull feels relieved to hear Narissah's reassurance:
    "Then we might find some trace of their grim end in the temple, and that might be a clue about how to reactivate the protection. To avoid any problems I will keep to the hut ... I'll stay out of trouble that way. I'll get ready for the expedition. But first, Narissa, will you tell villagers that we are here to help? By our deeds they will see that."
    "I will do my bessst to advocate for you. It is I who brought you here, my reputation ridesss on your successs too."

29. - Top - End - #509
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"I will do my bessst to advocate for you. It is I who brought you here, my reputation ridesss on your successs too."
    "Thank you Narissah. I have trusted you all along, but this land is strange for us, and we don't understand its rules."

30. - Top - End - #510

Heironous knows that's true. Cassandra comments.