Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: DNA ethnicity test: have you? Would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    To be fair, the perceived 'number of races' can vary wildly depending on where you're from and what time you're talking about. Most of my friends and I don't consider 'Latino' a race, we'd generally lump them together with other white people. Although I also use 'Oriental' semi-frequently because to me 'Asian' means South Asian instead of East Asian. We're all 20-something English people, for the record.
    Not just your friend group. In Europe, people generally don't consider people who hail from other European countries a different race.

Basically, to be considered a different race in Europe, you have to look so different that others could not achieve that look with hair dye and a suntan.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    Not just your friend group. In Europe, people generally don't consider people who hail from other European countries a different race.

Basically, to be considered a different race in Europe, you have to look so different that others could not achieve that look with hair dye and a suntan.
    Yeah, but I was speaking from personal experience and so I was throwing in my personal experience.

Also, occasionally I'll be in a situation where we're talking about 'Celtic', 'Anglo', 'Norman', and so on as if they're different races, but that's on the assumption that they're different sub groups of 'white'. In my experience you might consider someone to be in a different racial grouping white still being the same race.

Oh, and some of us would resent your implication that we're part of Europe. I'm not sure why, We're sandwiched between two bits of it (France and Ireland), both of which are JUST OVER THERE, YOU CAN BASICALLY REACH OUT AND TOUCH IT.

No, I am totally not bitter about Brexit. I just need to raise the money to apply for Irish citizenship and I get back my EU citizenship, Europe here I come.
    I prefer science fiction to fantasy, and generally play in the former genre. Due to this, I generally expect the laws of physics to apply to games, and work from that perspective.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post

I don't know about Europe today, but some old books I've read conflated "race" with "nationality", so they mentioned a "French race", a "Greek race", and even a "Celtic" and "Saxon" races, as well as a "human race".

It's a nebulous term with shifting meanings.
    Grim specter of noogie hangs like shroud over us all

Extended Sig
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Quote Originally Posted by YossarianLives View Post
    Stop destroying western civilization 2D8HP!!!.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I don't know about Europe today, but some old books I've read conflated "race" with "nationality", so they mentioned a "French race", a "Greek race", and even a "Celtic" and "Saxon" races, as well as a "human race".

It's a nebulous term with shifting meanings.
    While most of that thinking is based on spurious nonsense and observation, not actual genetics, there are distinct markers for particular population groups within Europe. Such as broad Northwest European, Southern European and Eastern European groupings.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think it's quite that nebulous 2D8HP.

What I learned in school was there are three: caucasoid, negroid, and mongoloid. I don't know if that's true or not (not really relevant), but it's what always made me interested in knowing my ancestry.

My maybe sister will get her kit tomorrow and then send it back to my father and then he'll send it out.
    Guiren Baotsu IC OOC DOC
    Gerard d'Deneith IC OOC DOC
    Dorn the Killer IC OOC DOC MAP

Formerly Khan the Destroyer on the WotC Forums.

Awesome Pun-Pun Avatar by the incredible AsteriskAmp!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    I don't think it's quite that nebulous 2D8HP.

What I learned in school was there are three: caucasoid, negroid, and mongoloid. I don't know if that's true or not (not really relevant), but it's what always made me interested in knowing my ancestry....

I saw those divisions in some anthropology textbooks from the 1960's as well (sometimes they also added "australoid").

I said "nebulous", because many newer works reject the division, and older works often used "race" to mean "nationality" (so a "Norman race", a "Saxon race", and a "Celtic race" in the British Isles, whereas modern geneticist say that the populations are virtually indistinguishable, with the exception of more Scandinavian ancestry in parts of Scotland and the old "Danelaw" in England).

So "race" has meaning, but it changes depending on when the word is used, and who is using it.

To give an example, someone with a certain skin tone 60 years ago may have been classed as among the "whites" if the were in Cuba, and among the "colored" if they were in South Carolina.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I saw those divisions in some anthropology textbooks from the 1960's as well (sometimes they also added "australoid").

I said "nebulous", because many newer works reject the division, and older works often used "race" to mean "nationality" (so a "Norman race", a "Saxon race", and a "Celtic race" in the British Isles, whereas modern geneticist say that the populations are virtually indistinguishable, with the exception of more Scandinavian ancestry in parts of Scotland and the old "Danelaw" in England).
    It's worth understanding that the 1960's understanding of genetics involved a fairly recent discovery that genetic information was kept primarily in DNA, which hadn't even thoroughly trickled out of biology to other fields yet. 50-57 year old textbooks (and that's assuming they were up to date and that these were college textbooks, as highschools generally lag a decade or three behind and it just gets worse the lower you go down) aren't great sources in information.
    Fudge Assistant in the Playground.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Colossus in the Playground

The "three races" thing sounds incredibly outdated to me. Like, 60+ years outdated. Like, maybe was generated by and used to justify certain not-good ideologies outdated.

It's possibly also worth mentioning that recent thought has that races don't really exist in any meaningful way. There is more genetic variation within a race than there is between one race and another. They are entirely arbitrary and artificial delineations (though it might be worth noting that, when it comes down to it, the category of "species" is too).

For example, look at the "race" of "Asian". For me, as an Australian, when I hear "Asian", I think China/Japan/Korea. In the UK, when they hear "Asian" they first think "Indian subcontinent". Looking at those people, they look just as different as, say, Europeans and Africans. And then there's other groups that fall under "Asian": South-east Asian, for example, in Indonesia and their neighbours. Or Tibetans look different again, and Mongolians, and so on. And then the edges blur further: at what point does south-east Asian turn into Polynesian? Islander people are fairly distinct from Maori people who are fairly distinct from Australian Aboriginal people, but they'd probably be lumped in together under "Australasian" or somesuch.

It's my understanding that ethnicity is the more accepted and useful category nowadays. I mean, that's the word in the thread title and all... The main situation I can see "race" being useful to look at is things like where certain races are at greater or lesser risk of certain ailments or conditions, but even then there's probably a better terminology to use.
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2017-08-15 at 07:57 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    The "three races" thing sounds incredibly outdated to me. Like, 60+ years outdated. Like, maybe was generated by and used to justify certain not-good ideologies outdated.
    It is, and is at least several decades out of date. You can tell because 'Negroid' would encompass the continent with the most genetic variation. That's not a helpful category anymore.

For example, look at the "race" of "Asian". For me, as an Australian, when I hear "Asian", I think China/Japan/Korea. In the UK, when they hear "Asian" they first think "Indian subcontinent". Looking at those people, they look just as different as, say, Europeans and Africans. And then there's other groups that fall under "Asian": South-east Asian, for example, in Indonesia and their neighbours. Or Tibetans look different again, and Mongolians, and so on. And then the edges blur further: at what point does south-east Asian turn into Polynesian? Islander people are fairly distinct from Maori people who are fairly distinct from Australian Aboriginal people, but they'd probably be lumped in together under "Australasian" or somesuch.
    Or how Indian isn't a race, really, you have several racial groups filed under that one. Or how different cultures have different races, such as a Chinese person in America being Asian, but might be a Han back home. Or how in certain parts of the world a family can be multiple different races...

It's my understanding that ethnicity is the more accepted and useful category nowadays. I mean, that's the word in the thread title and all... The main situation I can see "race" being useful to look at is things like where certain races are at greater or lesser risk of certain ailments or conditions, but even then there's probably a better terminology to use.
    For...Some things. The times I usually hear race getting the most importance is genetic factors in terms of disease or treatment. But even then, race is a horrible predictor of if someone will have a gene or not. Caucasians are more likely to have the gene for cystic fibrosis and lactose tolerance, but you'll find plenty who lack both genes. If they happened to have a non-Caucasian ancestor, well then it sorta stops working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.