New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: DNA ethnicity test: have you? Would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    Haven't you used that Irish/Scottish line before? Someone, anyway.

I have a friend who's completely white, but I'd say he's more Native Alaskan than I am in spirit if nothing else. Technically I'm not even sure if you need any kind of appreciable blood quantum to be a member of the tribe back home. Assimilating is more important, because outsiders have exactly two paths: you're either actively participating in the interests and the traditions of the tribe, or you're the arrogant ass who complains about how horrible and backward the savages in the bush are because you're a know it all ass with no business coming in and trying to impose your ways on people who have no use for them.
    I know someone whose ancestor was a slave bought by a tribe. Said slave's children became members of the tribe, so, despite having 0 DNA, he might be able to claim membership in the tribe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

I know my mom's family is Italian, and my dad's side is German. My last name also implies some Middle-Eastern heritage in there, but I don't know how much. That's good enough for me. 8 don't care about specifics.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Haven't you used that Irish/Scottish line before?...

I wouldn't be surprised if I did (I do tend to repeat myself), but if I did, I think it would've been after January, because I can't find it by doing "Search".

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if I did (I do tend to repeat myself), but if I did, I think it would've been after January, because I can't find it by doing "Search".
    Maybe it was in the recent whisky thread. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great line and that's why I remember it.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

...I think it's a great line and that's why I remember it.

Thanks!

When I told my Dad, that I was using the line, he told me, "I never said that", so maybe I learned it from a fever dream?

Quote Originally Posted by AnachroNinja View Post
    I sometimes suspect the entire industry is a front to promote racism by trying to remind people of their generic heritage and make it seem important, thus reinforcing our differences...

I'd prefer to think that when people learn how intermingled everyone is it would decrease racism, but "haters gonna hate" for some "reason" or another, probably.

I actually read in Blood of the Isles (AKA Saxons, Vikings, and Celts) by Bryan Sykes, that despite being both "Celtic", the Irish and the Scots have less common ancestors than the Irish and the English, because more Scots have Scandanavian ancestors.

When I told my Dad that, he wouldn't accept it, proud "pan-Celt" that he is

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Had it. Dad was an orphan who had his records destroyed in WWII Coventry so the was interest in where he was from. Mum did it too because she was the one interested and my father was dead by then.

Basically 70%+ Irish and British Isles (older) 25% Scandinavian with Danelaw markers (thus high probability but less sure it happened then.)

Some Spanish on my mum's side too. (the difference)

And the test was aimed squarely at Brits since it had to go to back to UK.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd be pretty interested in it, just to see. Might not really be a point to it but I'd like to see exactly what my DNA is, supposedly half German and half Afghan, though the German part of that might trace to some other area of Europe. The Afghan side of the family knows everyone and their cousins pretty far back, though, so little doubt on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by RickAllison View Post
    Call to adventure, story hooks, mentor that can be killed off as a call to action, it has everything!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Zero interest in doing it unless there is a medical reason for it. I consider myself and American and don't care about my ancestry.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Today's XKCD seems relevant.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

My mom & sister did it. Even though male DNA would be slightly different we are mostly Irish & English with a dash of French & Central Asia. 2.8 percent Neanderthal, which is high I think because I think it caps at about 3%. My sister was shocked but I kept telling her it was going to be over 2 because my mom's geneology hobby showed both sides moving to Ireland/British Isles from Neanderthal Territory.

It's interesting, I can't recall the break down but there was a tiny bit of everything from north of Africa.
    Last edited by lunaticfringe; 2017-05-22 at 09:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm mixed race, so DNA testing was always going to be interesting. My sister got a 23andme sequencing as a birthday gift; I did it later. No surprises that we are actually siblings (47.8% similarity), but I had quite a few variations in the things I inherited.

On the ethnicity side of things, using the standard filter, I came out 55.7% European (20.5% Ashkenazi Jewish, 3.3% British and Irish, 15% Broadly Northwest European, 16.4% Broadly European), 42.2% Sub-Saharan African (28.9% West African, 0.4% Central and Southern African, 12.8% Broadly Sub-Saharan African), 0.1% East Asian and Native American, and 2.1% Unassigned.

1.8% Neanderthal (compared to 2.7% average for mixed-ancestry people).
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kiero View Post
    I'm mixed race, so DNA testing was always going to be interesting. My sister got a 23andme sequencing as a birthday gift; I did it later. No surprises that we are actually siblings (47.8% similarity), but I had quite a few variations in the things I inherited.

On the ethnicity side of things, using the standard filter, I came out 55.7% European (20.5% Ashkenazi Jewish, 3.3% British and Irish, 15% Broadly Northwest European, 16.4% Broadly European), 42.2% Sub-Saharan African (28.9% West African, 0.4% Central and Southern African, 12.8% Broadly Sub-Saharan African), 0.1% East Asian and Native American, and 2.1% Unassigned.

1.8% Neanderthal (compared to 2.7% average for mixed-ancestry people).
    i'm only 1% ashkenazi, but your 21% actually entitles you to Israeli citizenship. seriously - they're moving to using dna. i'm going to learn hebrew (i'm really gifted at languages) and convert and see if i can. though honestly, i'm not sure why.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tantric View Post
    i'm only 1% ashkenazi, but your 21% actually entitles you to Israeli citizenship. seriously - they're moving to using dna. i'm going to learn hebrew (i'm really gifted at languages) and convert and see if i can. though honestly, i'm not sure why.
    I think having a second passport is always good, all other things being equal. Apart from anything else, there are some countries who won't allow you in if you have certain travel stamps in your passport (or are using a passport from those countries) so you can mix and match to retain access everywhere.

Then again some countries impose arduous burdens on their citizens, usually to do with tax or national service, which make it not worth it to retain a passport for the sake of it. It's worth checking out in advance whether that applies and considering whether you're prepared to cooperate, as otherwise the whole thing will be a bit of a waste of time!
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Coming from Europe, there's less of a filter effect than might be the case in the US. Less distance to travel. My paternal grandfather is descended from emigres fleeing persecution in the early 20th century.

I thought you needed to have a Jewish mother to be considered Jewish? Then there's the conscription issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I think having a second passport is always good, all other things being equal. Apart from anything else, there are some countries who won't allow you in if you have certain travel stamps in your passport (or are using a passport from those countries) so you can mix and match to retain access everywhere.

Then again some countries impose arduous burdens on their citizens, usually to do with tax or national service, which make it not worth it to retain a passport for the sake of it. It's worth checking out in advance whether that applies and considering whether you're prepared to cooperate, as otherwise the whole thing will be a bit of a waste of time!
    I'd be more worried about my children being conscripted when they're older than doing it myself, but it's still a burden.

Israel is one of those countries where having their stamps on your passport can cause you trouble. My sister is a travel journalist, she has multiple copies of her passport for exactly that reason.
    Last edited by Kiero; 2017-06-02 at 05:21 PM.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I doubt anything interesting would result. Both sides of my family are basically English peasant stock. Nothing much of interest occuring.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    I doubt anything interesting would result. Both sides of my family are basically English peasant stock. Nothing much of interest occuring.
    "English" may be established as an identity now days, but don't the DNA profiles go beack a little further than that. Two thousand years ago the people in England were Celtic, afterward they were occupied by the Romans, then by various Germanic tribes (most notable the Saxons) and just over a thousand years ago by the Danes. No doubt each of these groups interbred, so surely people who consider themselves purely English are likely to be a mix of those races.

That's not to say you would find it interesting of course, but I expect it would say something more than "English", which is an ethnic identity which has only existed a thousand or so years.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Actually that might yield the most interesting results because you are clearly not expecting anything.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

I thought you needed to have a Jewish mother to be considered Jewish? Then there's the conscription issue.

the 1970 amendment to the law of of returns says:

The rights of a Jew under this Law and the rights of an oleh under the Nationality Law, 5712-1952***, as well as the rights of an oleh under any other enactment, are also vested in a child and a grandchild of a Jew, the spouse of a Jew, the spouse of a child of a Jew and the spouse of a grandchild of a Jew, except for a person who has been a Jew and has voluntarily changed his/her religion
    i spent 2yrs in a maximum security prison, for frightening a cop accidentally. though they sent me there to die, it actually made me a better man. i support conscription.

19. - Top - End - #79

While I identify as African American my proper ethnicity is Creole so i"d be interested in taking one of these. Doing some rudimentary genealogy work I'm aware I have ancestors (19th centuryish) from southern France and Hati, but i'd like to see what else is there.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

the 1970 amendment to the law of of returns says:
    I'd qualify as a grandchild of a Jew under the amendment as well.

i spent 2yrs in a maximum security prison, for frightening a cop accidentally. though they sent me there to die, it actually made me a better man. i support conscription.
    I don't support conscription; I think its counter to military effectiveness. I wouldn't want anyone who doesn't actively want to be there to be responsible for the defence of the nation. All-professional is the only way to go.

And while I wouldn't be that bothered about having to do national service myself, there's no way I'd allow the state to take my children away when they're old enough.
    Wushu Open Reloaded

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    While I identify as African American my proper ethnicity is Creole so i"d be interested in taking one of these. Doing some rudimentary genealogy work I'm aware I have ancestors (19th centuryish) from southern France and Hati, but i'd like to see what else is there.
    haiti has a radically different concept of race.

Although the Haitian Creole word "nèg" literally comes from the French "nègre" which means "black or negro", it is used as a general term for "man" in Haitian Creole.

So "nèg" could be a white or black man in Haitian Creole.

Sometimes, you will hear Haitians say: "Yon nèg blan" which means "a white man".

Haitians will use "nèg" to mean "a friend, a comrade, a confidant, a guy".

Similarly, "blan" means foreigner.
    the actual list is something like this: blanc, mulâtre clair, mulâtre brun, grimaud, marabou, chabin, noir

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    "English" may be established as an identity now days, but don't the DNA profiles go beack a little further than that. Two thousand years ago the people in England were Celtic, afterward they were occupied by the Romans, then by various Germanic tribes (most notable the Saxons) and just over a thousand years ago by the Danes. No doubt each of these groups interbred, so surely people who consider themselves purely English are likely to be a mix of those races.

That's not to say you would find it interesting of course, but I expect it would say something more than "English", which is an ethnic identity which has only existed a thousand or so years.
    I'd be curious how effectively (especially relative to how old the subject is) such a test could determine if an Englishman was from the Danelaw or not. I suspect it would take a *lot* more samples and sequencing (my father's said "northern Europe" and then a high percentage (Iberian peninsula was included separately)).

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    (my father's said "northern Europe" and then a high percentage (Iberian peninsula was included separately)).
    One would indeed hope the Iberian peninsula would not count as Northern Europe, indeed.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    One would indeed hope the Iberian peninsula would not count as Northern Europe, indeed.

GW
    They're separate. On 23andme, there's the broad Northwest European and Southern European categories within European. Iberian is in the latter.
    Wushu Open Reloaded

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

They're separate. On 23andme, there's the broad Northwest European and Southern European categories within European. Iberian is in the latter.
    I think his point was that by no definition of "North" could Iberia be considered part of Northern Europe, therefore that it was not included in such a category was pretty much a given.

Having said that, speaking ethnically that classification* isn't totally insane, because the north-west is the last bastion of Celtic language and identity, but there was also a strong Celtic presence in Iberia (particularly Galicia and Portugal) so if that reflects genetics and considering that the genetic substrate tends to be relatively static (most British people have a plurality of Brythonic or pre-Brythonic DNA) they could be more closely related than geography and modern language would suggest.

Then again, another famous outpost of Celtic culture was Galatia, in modern Turkey. So maybe we should forget the whole thing.

*That is, classifying Iberian along with British, Irish and French, rather than calling it "Northwest".
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I haven't, but my brother did. We have a pub here in Albuquerque called "The Quarter Celtic", and as I was sitting having a beer, I texted my brother to see if he'd gotten the results back. He had, and said our family was 95% British. So I laughed out loud, called the waitress over and said "Quarter Celtic? Ha! I have you beat, I'm 95%!"
    Trollbait extraordinaire

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I think his point was that by no definition of "North" could Iberia be considered part of Northern Europe, therefore that it was not included in such a category was pretty much a given.

Having said that, speaking ethnically that classification* isn't totally insane, because the north-west is the last bastion of Celtic language and identity, but there was also a strong Celtic presence in Iberia (particularly Galicia and Portugal) so if that reflects genetics and considering that the genetic substrate tends to be relatively static (most British people have a plurality of Brythonic or pre-Brythonic DNA) they could be more closely related than geography and modern language would suggest.

Then again, another famous outpost of Celtic culture was Galatia, in modern Turkey. So maybe we should forget the whole thing.

*That is, classifying Iberian along with British, Irish and French, rather than calling it "Northwest".
    Each of those are distinct enough to show up in the DNA; point is someone from northwest Iberia is probably going to have a mix of both, not have a high proportion of Iberian alone.
    Wushu Open Reloaded

28. - Top - End - #88
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Had it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    My mom & sister did it.
    Who did you/they do it through, and how was the experience?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Not really. It has been mentioned that the lack of privacy could be problematic for health care, and I sorta need my meds to function.

If I did get one, I'd only be expecting more flavors of white if I didn't get expected results. Through considering my family claims a few famous people as ancestors, it would be rather nice to put those ideas to rest. Mildly embarrassing to keep hearing those. Pretty sure half of the South is related to Stonewall Jackson or somesuch.

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    It's vitally important to which Civilization I play. Vikings or Germans? I NEED TO KNOW!
    I am disappointed in you. Pick your faction how we have settled it for years: based on who has the most bad-*** facial hair!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nah. What's the point? Sounds like a waste of money...
    Homebrew Stuff: