New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DNA ethnicity test: have you? Would you?

Well, looks like I'm updating my answer - my family got me a test for Father's Day. I'll know in "6-8 weeks." They also do relative matching, so this is actually pretty exciting to me - here's hoping some of my birth relatives signed up for the same one.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    If I did get one, I'd only be expecting more flavors of white if I didn't get expected results. Through considering my family claims a few famous people as ancestors, it would be rather nice to put those ideas to rest. Mildly embarrassing to keep hearing those. Pretty sure half of the South is related to Stonewall Jackson or somesuch.
    Well, if you have any ancestors from New England before the American Revolution, you probably have an ancestor on the Mayflower. I imagine that pretty much everyone who had ancestors in the right part of the south prior to the revolution would be rather interrelated, including to all the famous generals in the south in the civil war. I don't actually know since all my ancestors were from the north and went west to get away from the civil war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Well, if you have any ancestors from New England before the American Revolution, you probably have an ancestor on the Mayflower.
    Supposedly, I do? I've seen the record tracing the family back to the Mayflower, but it does get a little suspect when an alarming amount of people claim descent from those people. Not to mention that even today there's a few benefits if you can legitimately trace your family back that far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

it does get a little suspect when an alarming amount of people claim descent from those people.
    It's not suspicious at all, actually. If there are any living descendants of the Mayflower people at all, statistically speaking after 400-odd years, we'd expect said descendants to number in the millions*.

Not quite as many as, say, descendants of Charlemagne (IIRC, everyone in Europe should be able to tract back to him), but do not underestimate the power of compound growth. Given enough time, either everyone can track back to a given person, or no-one can. There really isn't a middle ground.

Grey Wolf

*Which is not to say, mind you, that some people are claiming it with no proof, or are outright lying. But any random person from about the right area? Probably better than even chance.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-06-22 at 12:47 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It's not suspicious at all, actually. If there are any living descendants of the Mayflower people at all, statistically speaking after 400-odd years, we'd expect said descendants to number in the millions*.
    This is true, but when bragging rights or money is involved, I ain't believing it. Else the Native Americans got around so much you'd think they were all Bards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

This is true, but when bragging rights or money is involved, I ain't believing it. Else the Native Americans got around so much you'd think they were all Bards.
    Native Americans virtually didn't exist when the Mayflower landed, the Pilgrims could plunder villages and graves with impunity. This was fairly critical for the first winter's survivors. Obviously, there were more of them around than Mayflower colonists, but that was a seriously small number for the size of New England.

The math largely depends on the native population keeping up with immigrants. If you check the immigration levels at the time, it might not appear to be true, but a second check of the *female* immigration to the *female* natives likely changes things a bit. I also suspect that sons of established colonists had significantly larger families (basically anyone who owned their own land...) than immigrants.

I know that after my father retired, he worked more than a decade full time doing family history (mostly typing/editing a distant relative's various books). He got as far as the ship after Mayflower, but not the Mayflower. I suspect the numbers might require including the myriad of forged documents needed to establish various families as "proper Mayflower blue blood". Such documentation multiplication is hardly new: one of my father's genealogy buddies was only concerned with his direct ancestors and managed to create documentation all the way to Adam (there's a specific English lord that is ideal for this, he had his traced back to the mythical Saxon King famous for descent from Adam and then presumably spliced into the Biblical line of Joseph to David (David's line to Adam is presumably already in Jewish scripture)).

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Nah. What's the point? Sounds like a waste of money...
    1. It's interesting in it's own right.
    2. It can answer a lot of questions about family history.
    3. There are myriad medical implications of the presence or absence of various genes.
    4. There are health implications of particular ethnicities, which you may or may not be aware you have.
    5. Once you have your data, it can be re-sequenced as the techniques improve, telling you even more.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, if you have any ancestors from New England before the American Revolution, you probably have an ancestor on the Mayflower. I imagine that pretty much everyone who had ancestors in the right part of the south prior to the revolution would be rather interrelated, including to all the famous generals in the south in the civil war. I don't actually know since all my ancestors were from the north and went west to get away from the civil war.
    Australia has a bit of a funny thing where most of our early European settlers were convicts, and until a generation or two ago being descended from a convict was deeply shameful, to the point of being a dark family secret. It's fading away now, though, with a lot more interest in that history. I don't think my family was ever that shy about it, thankfully, and can trace myself to a particular late convict by blood and another by adoption. I don't know anything between then and now, though.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

That's interesting to know - it's kind of a joke here in America that half of us are descended from horse thieves. I'd have thought it would matter less in Australia where the percent would have been higher.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    That's interesting to know - it's kind of a joke here in America that half of us are descended from horse thieves. I'd have thought it would matter less in Australia where the percent would have been higher.
    Not at all. Just means those with "pedigree" get to lord it over the rest more easily. A bit like the whole US Mayflower thing. Even when you don't have an aristocracy people are very good at figuring one out anyways.

It's a very convenient excuse to boost the social standing of those later colonists who would probably mainly drawn for more established parts of British society.

Most of the "convicts" were after all mainly guilty of being 1) poor 2) vulnerable members of a society that had an "empty"* place to fill.

*in these considerations obviously any aboriginals don't feature at all

That said, it's common enough knowledge that Simpsons spoofed it in their Australia episode like 20 years ago by now I guess.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Barbarian in the Playground

My heritage is a source of pride and interest for my father, and (to a somewhat lesser extent) for me as well. My grandmother is very, very interested in genealogy. She does research; he gives me Irish history lessons at random intervals. I know more than I'll ever need about where I come from. If Nana asked me to take the test, I'd do it to please her, but for myself . . . nah, I don't feel any need to analyze myself that way.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnachroNinja View Post
    I sometimes suspect the entire industry is a front to promote racism by trying to remind people of their generic heritage and make it seem important, thus reinforcing our differences.

But I'm pretty paranoid.
    I'd say it's more an offshoot of the obsession with race and ethnicity than a cause for it.
    Tales from the Trashcan

13. - Top - End - #103

My uncle tried to get one of those tests done a couple years ago. There was some kind of mix-up and he got some random person's results back instead. I don't think he ever bothered to follow up on a re-test.
    Jude P.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I haven't, I wouldn't. To start with I really don't care. Ethnicity is relevant inasmuch as it affects cultural treatment, and that's based on phenome and not genome.
    i agree. I don't care. DNA test won't change my culture, religion... so it's unnecessary.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    I'm almost completely certain I'm not even 50% anything other than "your ancestors were all human." I'd be more interested in seeing whether I have any Neanderthal DNA than anything else, but not enough to get tested.
    I don't think I can count on that, fairly certain I have a few proto-humans in there, maybe even a couple of proto-proto-humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Australia has a bit of a funny thing where most of our early European settlers were convicts, and until a generation or two ago being descended from a convict was deeply shameful, to the point of being a dark family secret. It's fading away now, though, with a lot more interest in that history. I don't think my family was ever that shy about it, thankfully, and can trace myself to a particular late convict by blood and another by adoption. I don't know anything between then and now, though.
    I mean, over here there's occasional jokes about sending another batch your way. At least with my friends it's mainly a stupid 'oh yeah, we used to do stupid stuff' thing, and occasionally followed up with jokes about a colony deciding to send their convicts to England.

I'm not overly interested in getting a test myself, in very much a 'if I'm passing by, the queue is short, the results would be private, and there isn't a sandwich shop across the street' way. I know that a decent part of my ancestry is Irish famers and English peasantry, so there's definitely some Celtic and Germanic in there. Even if I have aristocracy in there somewhere it's so far away that I could never inherit a title. Got olive skin from the more Irish side though, and extremely pale skin from the more English side (I sometimes joke that I only look white after I tan), so I expect there's a bit more that's wormed it's way in. So yeah, I'd be interested if I could discover exactly where the olive skin comes from and if there's any surprises like I'm 0.04 Asian or something, but I suspect it would be mostly 'you mainly come from that crazy island that tries to pretend it isn't part of Europe and it's neighbour, with some other European places factoring in'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I'm thinking of the 23andme test which has something ethnicity related. Should be interesting seeing how Finns are... more inbred that several other folks (and have unique hereditary diseases). Then again, at least part of my family has apparently come here via Germany.
    Last edited by NotThog; 2017-07-16 at 08:44 AM. Reason: clarification

17. - Top - End - #107
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would do it if I had spare money. I know that my ancestors are mostly Europeans (with some Polynesians in there as well), but it would be interesting to see exactly which parts of Europe (and other parts of the world) they're from.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Got olive skin from the more Irish side though,
    Entirely possible that comes from Southern European heritage. There are a number of not-insignificant historical contacts between Ireland and Spain over the last few hundred years before modern mass movement of people.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kiero View Post
    Entirely possible that comes from Southern European heritage. There are a number of not-insignificant historical contacts between Ireland and Spain over the last few hundred years before modern mass movement of people.
    Sure, I expect it's something like someone from Southern Europe coming to Ireland in recent history, I'm not actually too interested to know why it's there. I fully expect that my ethnicity is a bunch of European places concentrated a bit more on Celtic and Germanic than the rest, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot more variation that's snuck in at points. It's not like it would change my identity, but it would certainly be interesting to know.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Results are in, raising more questions than answers From my "non-identifying information" (delivered when I turned 18), my mom was German and Scots-Irish, my father Italian. Looks like only one out of three things was right. 30% "Great Britain" circled area included northern France and the low countries), 7% from southern Ireland; so that sounds like Scots-Irish. Then, a few low-confidence 1- and 2% from "Western Europe," (France/Germany/Switzerland) "Iberian Peninsula" (Spain/Portugal) and "South Asia" (India/Pakistan/Bangladesh/Sri Lanka). Then, the surprise: 55% from "Caucasus" - big circled area centered around the Caucasus mountains and a bit north, but including all kinds of stuff from Turkey to Syria to Iran.

The more exciting thing: a lot of genetic relatives matched, including three that are "high confidence" second cousins or closer.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Possibly because most of the people on 23andme are American (and I'm not), I don't have any close matches at all (apart from my sister). Virtually all those who are at the 4th cousin level are Jewish.
    Wushu Open Reloaded

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

I might do it if I had enough money to spare, which I don't. It would be interesting to see how much, if any Malay blood I have. Both my maternal grandparents' families spent a few generations in Malaya so it's somewhat likely even none of the surnames or appearances in my family would indicate such.

23. - Top - End - #113

In my high school sociology class we learned about races and I was taught that there are only three, so when I asked about myself, the teacher said that hispanics are a blending of all three, so I've always been curious what that blend might be for me.

So I did the test in June and got the results back a few weeks ago. I'm mostly Spanish/Italian/Greek, with African and Native American being the next highest. Kind of expected for the most part.

That said, a woman contacted me this week suggesting that we are siblings, and come to find out my father has a daughter that he never knew about. As far as he knew, I was his only child. But, given that Ancestry matches her and I as "Closely Related" with "Extremely High Confidence" and a bunch of details that she provided, and my father corroborating those details, it is extremely likely that she is my sister and his daughter.

He just ordered a test kit for the two of them to confirm. Pretty crazy.

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    In my high school sociology class we learned about races and I was taught that there are only three, so when I asked about myself, the teacher said that hispanics are a blending of all three, so I've always been curious what that blend might be for me.

So I did the test in June and got the results back a few weeks ago. I'm mostly Spanish/Italian/Greek, with African and Native American being the next highest. Kind of expected for the most part.

That said, a woman contacted me this week suggesting that we are siblings, and come to find out my father has a daughter that he never knew about. As far as he knew, I was his only child. But, given that Ancestry matches her and I as "Closely Related" with "Extremely High Confidence" and a bunch of details that she provided, and my father corroborating those details, it is extremely likely that she is my sister and his daughter.

If your father has siblings, she could also be your cousin. That said, if details place your father as likely being at her conception, then you are probably siblings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Reminds me a bit of this article I read not long ago:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...r-old-mystery/

In that sense it's a bit of a Pandora's box the recreational genome testing.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

If your father has siblings, she could also be your cousin. That said, if details place your father as likely being at her conception, then you are probably siblings.
    It'll be pretty clear in the percentage of commonality whether they are a sibling or cousin. A half-sibling is around 25% similar, a first cousin only around 12.5%.
    Wushu Open Reloaded

27. - Top - End - #117

I hadn't considered this. I warned him about this possibility after reading your post lol. He had already mentioned to me that his brother was very attracted to the mother, and, for my part, I don't think the woman looks like me or my father. But they're receiving the paternity test tomorrow so we'll know soon enough. I'm not against it or anything, but when we were talking at first she had asked me if there was a resemblance and I was honest and said not really.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz
    Reminds me a bit of this article I read not long ago:
    That was an interesting read. I can say definitively that it never even occurred to me that I would find anyone of relation. I hadn't even considered that part of the service. As the article says, most people don't, and I fell into that for sure. Totally out of left field!

The swapped at birth story is fascinating though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiero
    It'll be pretty clear in the percentage of commonality whether they are a sibling or cousin. A half-sibling is around 25% similar, a first cousin only around 12.5%.
    I don't think Ancestry breaks it down for you to that level. What it tells me with her is "Close Relative - to First Cousin". So she could be somewhere within that range.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think Ancestry breaks it down for you to that level. What it tells me with her is "Close Relative - to First Cousin". So she could be somewhere within that range.
    If you can get your raw data from Ancestry, then another service (like GEDMatch) could analyse it and give you better results.
    Last edited by Kiero; 2017-08-11 at 03:34 AM.
    Wushu Open Reloaded

29. - Top - End - #119
    Colossus in the Playground

Went searching for the review I read a while back. Didn't, but found various others:

Business Insider Australia
    Exploring Life's Mysteries
    DNAjar
    The Legal Genealogist

These might be a bit out of date, but from the looks of things, Family Tree DNA seems like it might be up there...

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, the perceived 'number of races' can vary wildly depending on where you're from and what time you're talking about. Most of my friends and I don't consider 'Latino' a race, we'd generally lump them together with other white people. Although I also use 'Oriental' semi-frequently because to me 'Asian' means South Asian instead of East Asian. We're all 20-something English people, for the record.

Heck, I have a mixed race friend who refuses to be acknowledged as part (either race), preferring to be called just 'coloured', and a separate mixed race friend who firmly refers to herself as Anglo-Asian.

In everyday situations I'd probably give you about 10 different 'races', although I would admit there's likely hundreds and most people are probably mixed race in some proportion or another. I tend to consider home country more important, a Frenchman is a Frenchman no matter if his skin looks Indian.

Show