New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1336
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: [Drop Dead Studios] Spheres of Might Open Playtest

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    1. Can Unarmored Training stack with the Symbiat's Battlefield Sense increase in AC?

2. What does and what does not constitute "the AC bonus class feature of the monk or similar abilities."
    As far as I understand it, Unarmored Training does not stack with any class feature that adds one of your other ability score modifiers in addition to your Dexterity modifier to your AC. So Unarmored Training would not stack with Battlefield Sense.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is there a range or time limit on the Bloodmonger feat?
    Last edited by Dr_Dinosaur; 2018-01-11 at 12:07 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1023

Does the Scout sphere Heightened Awareness talent let you find (and thus, disable?) magical traps? I'm trying to make a Canny Scoundrel Unchained Rogue while still being able to fulfil the rogue niche (ie, being able to disarm traps).

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAsmadi View Post
    Does the Scout sphere Heightened Awareness talent let you find (and thus, disable?) magical traps? I'm trying to make a Canny Scoundrel Unchained Rogue while still being able to fulfil the rogue niche (ie, being able to disarm traps).
    Everybody can find magical traps, it's disabling them that requires trapfinding. I think your best bet is to get your GM to allow you the Trap Finder campaign trait from Mummy's Mask, or the Trapfinding Slayer Talent.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Halinn View Post
    Everybody can find magical traps, it's disabling them that requires trapfinding. I think your best bet is to get your GM to allow you the Trap Finder campaign trait from Mummy's Mask, or the Trapfinding Slayer Talent.
    Which reminds me, I never got an answer to my question during playtest (can't remember the exact channel), if the Trap sphere should give that ability as well. Personally, I would say yes, even if that breaks the last bastion for trapfinding exclusivity. It doesn't make sense, if you are blocked on that front.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    Which reminds me, I never got an answer to my question during playtest (can't remember the exact channel), if the Trap sphere should give that ability as well. Personally, I would say yes, even if that breaks the last bastion for trapfinding exclusivity. It doesn't make sense, if you are blocked on that front.
    That'd make for a nice talent, I think. Exclusivity is already broken in a ton of ways anyways, from archetypes, to the Trap Finder campaign trait (Mummy's Mask), and the Aram Zey's Focus spell (from the Pathfinder Society Field Guide)

"You can disarm magic traps, and you gain 5 ranks in the Disable Device skill, plus 5 ranks per additional talent spent in the Trap sphere (maximum ranks equal to your total Hit Dice). If you already have ranks in the Disable Device skill you may immediately retrain them, but you do not get to retrain when only temporarily gaining talents, such as through the Armiger’s customized weapons class feature."

This way, at least people with the actual Trapfinding feature would still have an advantage in their perception/disable device checks, since they get ½ level to those checks. I guess it's a better talent than the Scout sphere's Great Senses, but I figure that's easily made up for by the fact that Perception is a better skill.
    Last edited by Halinn; 2018-01-14 at 04:32 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I feel like I might be missing an important line somewhere that explicitly answers this but. . . . .

A player presented a build idea to me for his attack rotation.
    -Brutal Pummeler Brawler archetype-

1. Make an attack action
    2. Make bonus attack via brawler's pummel
    3. Sweeping Kick (open hand) the same target
    4. Greater Trip (Combat Feat) for attack of opportunity
    5. Spinning Heel Kick (open hand) an adjacent enemy

Would this work? How many things can you tack onto an attack action?

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruvain View Post
    I feel like I might be missing an important line somewhere that explicitly answers this but. . . . .

1. Make an attack action

Infinite, so long as they explicitly call out the action they use. Most things don't work with free actions (so check that) but if you don't run out of swifts, immediates, or AOOs then you're pretty good to stack things absurdly.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruvain View Post

1. Make an attack action

Those all work because they're different action types or non-actions, though the normal limitations like one action only being able to trigger one attack of opportunity still apply to sphere talents.

10. - Top - End - #1030

Does the Armiger's customized weaponry extend to shields due to shield bash? If yes, it seems sensible that Quick and Lightning Change work with that as well. Basically, you could use Lightning Change when being attacked to grab your shield and increase your AC. Until you use the shield in shield bash at least.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ettin in the Playground

Dumb question: If I use the Kick-Off talent, do I have to go the entire distance? Because I worry about a 20th level full BAB guy having to move 30 feet and ending off being knocked off a cliff.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

In spheres of power, you can cast at a lower caster level if you want a weaker effect.

It would be hard to imagine, not being able to kick with less force, than your maximum. I could easily choose to toss a rock a shorter distance than my maximum throw. I could not do the reverse and throw it further than my farthest toss. I'd think the relevant talent sets the maximum distance or power or whatever, but that we could choose to go at less than that maximum.
    Last edited by Ualaa; 2018-01-23 at 09:00 AM.
    ~ Ualaa

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

Does the Armiger's customized weaponry extend to shields due to shield bash? If yes, it seems sensible that Quick and Lightning Change work with that as well. Basically, you could use Lightning Change when being attacked to grab your shield and increase your AC. Until you use the shield in shield bash at least.
    You would need a quickdraw shield. I believe that drawing and donning shields are two separate actions (normally each a move until other abilities are applied). The base rules aren't abundantly clear from what I can see though.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Dumb question: If I use the Kick-Off talent, do I have to go the entire distance? Because I worry about a 20th level full BAB guy having to move 30 feet and ending off being knocked off a cliff.
    The scaling additional 5 ft. is 'may move', so absolutely optional. The base 10 ft. is not written that way, but you ought to be allowed to willingly reduce that. I cannot give a definitive answer on intent for that part though.
    Last edited by stack; 2018-01-23 at 09:29 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So this might be a bit obtuse but for the Improved Alchemist's Fire of the Alchemy Sphere, why is it always a full round action to extinguish, and why has the bonus from stopping, dropping, and rolling been reduced to a +2 from a +4 from all other instances in Pathfinder of being set on fire?

It seems like with no duration, no reflex to avoid being initially set on fire (even and especially in the splash radius), and requiring a full round action regardless of what you're doing (other than drenching yourself) that the alchemists fire is inherently a bit stronger than just about anything else in that sphere, and a little over powered in general.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

How does the DC work for Death of a Thousand Cuts, Conscript Duelist Specialization work with variable bleed, from say Open Vein?

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by decamonos View Post
    So this might be a bit obtuse but for the Improved Alchemist's Fire of the Alchemy Sphere, why is it always a full round action to extinguish, and why has the bonus from stopping, dropping, and rolling been reduced to a +2 from a +4 from all other instances in Pathfinder of being set on fire?
    I'm not actually sure what happened there, since originally the catching fire rules were a direct copy/paste included for the sole purpose of making it so that you don't need to look up the catching on fire rules in the CRB. I'm unclear when/why that was changed so I'll need to double-check with the team and see if it's logged in our update files.

It seems like with no duration, no reflex to avoid being initially set on fire (even and especially in the splash radius), and requiring a full round action regardless of what you're doing (other than drenching yourself) that the alchemists fire is inherently a bit stronger than just about anything else in that sphere, and a little over powered in general.
    Even with the nerf to the save bonus, it's 1d6 fire damage each round if you're caught on fire. Any creature with fire resistance or immunity simply won't care, and many other creatures will simply be able to ignore the miniscule amount of damage until combat is over and they're either dead or have time to properly extinguish the flames. The catch on fire effect is largely a small bonus that's nice when it kicks in since it can provide that small tilt in the party's favor during a drawn out fight and makes for some entertaining visuals, but is unlikely to have any significant impact after the first two or three levels of play. Compared to the higher base damage and less resisted effects of Improved Bottled Lightning, the blindness imposed by Improved Flash Powder, or even the recurring effect from Improved Acid Flask (which can't be avoided, scales much higher, and is generally less resisted than fire) it's pretty equitable, maybe even a tad weaker.

Quote Originally Posted by calyst View Post
    How does the DC work for Death of a Thousand Cuts, Conscript Duelist Specialization work with variable bleed, from say Open Vein?
    Death by a Thousand Cuts is determined by the amount of bleed damage the target is currently taking. So if you're a +4 BAB Duelist using Open Vein, you dealt 2d4+2 bleed damage. Assuming you had an average roll, that means the target needs to make a DC 17 save to avoid becoming fatigued (2.5+2.5+2).

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    I'm not actually sure what happened there, since originally the catching fire rules were a direct copy/paste included for the sole purpose of making it so that you don't need to look up the catching on fire rules in the CRB. I'm unclear when/why that was changed so I'll need to double-check with the team and see if it's logged in our update files.

Even with the nerf to the save bonus, it's 1d6 fire damage each round if you're caught on fire. Any creature with fire resistance or immunity simply won't care, and many other creatures will simply be able to ignore the miniscule amount of damage until combat is over and they're either dead or have time to properly extinguish the flames. The catch on fire effect is largely a small bonus that's nice when it kicks in since it can provide that small tilt in the party's favor during a drawn out fight and makes for some entertaining visuals, but is unlikely to have any significant impact after the first two or three levels of play. Compared to the higher base damage and less resisted effects of Improved Bottled Lightning, the blindness imposed by Improved Flash Powder, or even the recurring effect from Improved Acid Flask (which can't be avoided, scales much higher, and is generally less resisted than fire) it's pretty equitable, maybe even a tad weaker.
    I though that you answered your own query here. The burning effect is inherently weak so the action required to remove was increased while the bonus to save was decreased to better reflect something a little more akin to napalm. It's balancing like that (not necessarily increasing power but making sure that it sticks) that I really appreciate. Please don't consider errata-ing that away.
    Avatar of awesome goodness courtesy of Cdr.Fallout.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    I though that you answered your own query here. The burning effect is inherently weak so the action required to remove was increased while the bonus to save was decreased to better reflect something a little more akin to napalm. It's balancing like that (not necessarily increasing power but making sure that it sticks) that I really appreciate. Please don't consider errata-ing that away.
    Yeah, sorry if I gave you a scare there. On researching the change that's exactly what happened. The burning effect was actually on the weaker end of the effects for improved alchemical items, so we made the fire a little more "sticky" than it normally would be as a way of making it a worthwhile effect compared to the other improved alchemical items.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Questions regarding the Sage's Ki Clone ability:

1. If multi-classing, do Ki Clone's possess their own resources for other class features, such as daily uses of an ability, or spell points? If not, are you able to give them these as you would Ki points?

2. Do Ki Clones also possess all the items you do? If so, how does this interact with consumable items, or items with charges? Also if so, do the magic items function normally for other creatures if stolen?

3. What happens if I fuse with a Ki Clone using alteration once the ki clone duration is up? Would doing a permanent fusion change this?

4. Can I activate the ability over multiple rounds to get multiple clones?

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

Questions regarding the Sage's Ki Clone ability:

1. If multi-classing, do Ki Clone's possess their own resources for other class features, such as daily uses of an ability, or spell points? If not, are you able to give them these as you would Ki points?
    The clone doesn't have any such resources of its own, but can be invested with them just like with the ki points. I'll see if we can get that updated to be specifically stated in the ability.

2. Do Ki Clones also possess all the items you do? If so, how does this interact with consumable items, or items with charges? Also if so, do the magic items function normally for other creatures if stolen?
    The Ki Clone has any static benefits of magic items the sage is wearing since it shares his abilities and statistics, but does not have any actual magic items of its own.

3. What happens if I fuse with a Ki Clone using alteration once the ki clone duration is up? Would doing a permanent fusion change this?
    The ki clone ceases to exist once the duration ends, so the fusion effect would immediately end, even if it would otherwise be permanent.

4. Can I activate the ability over multiple rounds to get multiple clones?
    Yes, though the ruling that "each additional ki clone after the first costs 2 ki points instead of 1" still applies.

21. - Top - End - #1041

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    You would need a quickdraw shield. I believe that drawing and donning shields are two separate actions (normally each a move until other abilities are applied). The base rules aren't abundantly clear from what I can see though.
    I'm not sure how I managed to miss this, but Armiger rules state:

The armiger must be proficient with the weapon to customize it and may not customize siege weapons. If the armiger possesses proficiency with shields, she may customize a shield with one of her weapon customization sets, either as a single weapon or as part of a pair of weapons. The enhancement bonus from enhanced customization only applies to using the shield as a weapon.
    So does this still require Quickdraw Shields?

Also, does the Shielding Ward allow a ward to count as a shield in a general sense? For example, conscripts have a Shield sphere specialization, The prestige class Student of War changes Dex to Int, if you wield a shield. On the other hand, Armiger (as quoted above) might not work
    Last edited by EldritchWeaver; 2018-01-26 at 06:11 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1042

RedKnightGirl

So I noticed something today.

Specifically Guns in Spheres of Might.

So; there are ways to get gun profiency in Spheres of Might, Most notable is taking one of the traditions that give it through the equipment Sphere.
    Getting Gunsmithing Feat with it.
    No Guns.
    and: Unless specifically noted otherwise, a character can only gain a single martial tradition, and can only select one as a 1st level character;

So pretty much any gun based Tradition is sorta..teasingly useless until you got the gold to get a gun (assuming your not using the rich trait)

So, is this on purpose or an oversight?

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure how I managed to miss this, but Armiger rules state:

So does this still require Quickdraw Shields?

Also, does the Shielding Ward allow a ward to count as a shield in a general sense? For example, conscripts have a Shield sphere specialization, The prestige class Student of War changes Dex to Int, if you wield a shield. On the other hand, Armiger (as quoted above) might not work
    Shields being both 'armor' and weapons runs into some gray areas in the rules. An armiger can quick-draw a customized shield and use it as a weapon, but would need to spend the additional action to strap it on to gain the AC benefits unless using a quickdraw shield. Feel free to houserule this away though. Some option to turn other shields into quickdraw shields would probably be a good idea.

For shield ward, it acts as a shield "for the purposes of Shield sphere abilities and for making shield bash attacks". The conscript's 3rd level ability doesn't really apply, beyond counting the 'heavy shield' at CL10 as a light weapon. The 8th level ability works fine with shield ward (it modifies active defense and the second portion just says 'shield bonus'). 20th wouldn't really apply since it isn't actually an equipped shield.

I can't check student of war at the moment. If it requires a shield, it doesn't work, if it requires a shield bonus, it should work.
    Last edited by stack; 2018-01-26 at 11:02 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    Yes, though the ruling that "each additional ki clone after the first costs 2 ki points instead of 1" still applies.
    Does the limit on how much you can spend still apply then as well? Effectively limiting the number you can have out at once, or is that limit only per casting?

Additional and unrelated question: If I am a technician with the electrical insight, and I make one of my independent inventions with the robot sub-type, can it act on its own, or does it require that the Electric Controls improvement be taken twice regardless of if it has an int score?

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Orc in the Playground

Additional and unrelated question: If I am a technician with the electrical insight, and I make one of my independent inventions with the robot sub-type, can it act on its own, or does it require that the Electric Controls improvement be taken twice regardless of if it has an int score?
    It seems to need electric controls. Without that you get something like JARVIS in an Ironman suit. Helpful chatter, can take mental actions/make perception checks, etc.
    Avatar of awesome goodness courtesy of Cdr.Fallout.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Question Re: [Drop Dead Studios] Spheres of Might Open Playtest

I have three new questions, though the last one is mainly about SoP.

----

1. For spheres with two related skills (Fencing/Scout), what is the maximum bonus rank for the skills when you only have the base sphere and the second skill talents for each (Read Foe/Great Senses)? To sum up, is it 10/05, or 10/10? I'd really like if it was the latter; even better if the final draft before printing clarifies this!

2. Shouldn't the thread name be changed to omit the "open playtest" part by now? The campaign was successful and the PDFs are out, so why not clean up into something like <[Drop Dead Studios] Spheres of Might General Thread>?

3. Do you (DDS) have any plans in errata-ing the Incanter's +1 caster level bonus to work like the Conscript's BAB +1 treatment bonus? The poor class deserves to be treated as it's own thing, not a mere dip material!

27. - Top - End - #1047

Shields being both 'armor' and weapons runs into some gray areas in the rules. An armiger can quick-draw a customized shield and use it as a weapon, but would need to spend the additional action to strap it on to gain the AC benefits unless using a quickdraw shield. Feel free to houserule this away though. Some option to turn other shields into quickdraw shields would probably be a good idea.

For shield ward, it acts as a shield "for the purposes of Shield sphere abilities and for making shield bash attacks". The conscript's 3rd level ability doesn't really apply, beyond counting the 'heavy shield' at CL10 as a light weapon. The 8th level ability works fine with shield ward (it modifies active defense and the second portion just says 'shield bonus'). 20th wouldn't really apply since it isn't actually an equipped shield.

I can't check student of war at the moment. If it requires a shield, it doesn't work, if it requires a shield bonus, it should work.
    So would a feat for this work?

Quickdon Shield

Prerequites: Quickdraw.

Benefit: You can also don your shield as a part of drawing it, granting the AC bonus, instead of using the shield for a bash attack.

Normal: Donning a shield takes an action as described by the item rules.

Student of War requires shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Yew View Post
    I have three new questions, though the last one is mainly about SoP.

----

1. For spheres with two related skills (Fencing/Scout), what is the maximum bonus rank for the skills when you only have the base sphere and the second skill talents for each (Read Foe/Great Senses)? To sum up, is it 10/05, or 10/10? I'd really like if it was the latter; even better if the final draft before printing clarifies this!
    It should be 10/10, because the base sphere is an additional talent of the Scout sphere. Also it would be strange if those skills didn't follow the same formula as the rest (cap = number of talents in sphere * 5).
    Last edited by EldritchWeaver; 2018-01-27 at 05:26 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1048

RedKnightGirl

Maybe you guys can help me.

So I'm looking at making basically a Multiclassed SOP/SOM character. (Gestalt in reality)

Is there any way I can mold Guns and Destruction Sphere together?

or even any suggestions how I could make something like that work at all? (ranged attacks, would love guns) tied with magic ability

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMists View Post

So I'm looking at making basically a Multiclassed SOP/SOM character. (Gestalt in reality)

or even any suggestions how I could make something like that work at all? (ranged attacks, would love guns) tied with magic ability
    Blaster archetype Armorist is effectively this in a nutshell. Making a gun that uses destructive blasts instead of bullets. Otherwise some combination of Energy Blade and Spell Attack should let you add Destructive Blasts to your attack actions, but isn't innately compatible with special attack actions like (OTOH) barrage and snipe
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

30. - Top - End - #1050

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMists View Post

Dip a level of Spellslinger Wizard the go into that ranged Armorist archetype (for more gun) or Elementalist (for more blast). Gets you a gun and lets you add your gun’s enhancement bonus to spells.