New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: [Drop Dead Studios] Spheres of Might Open Playtest

I'm going to have to look at it closer, but Im nervous about how close it compares to a combat/spiritualist hedgewitch. On the surface, the prodigy gets good reflex saves, a martial tradition, five more talents, and the sequence effects. The hedgewitch gets tradition secrets.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey so just looking at some scholar things, and how would a Scholar's pet work assuming they had both Animal Training Small and Large, while it was a Sage Familiar? The increase to Intelligence looks not at all weird, but something funky happens with Sage's Knowledge. Basically it gives the familiar 2 Skill Points per level and a cap of your Familiar Level in any one skill. But since your Familiar in this case already gets some Skill Points from it's real Hit Dice, and has a skill cap normally equal to it's number of real Hit Dice, things are weird. There seem like 4 interpretations that make any sense:
    Since now it has real hit dice giving Skill Points, you only use the Animal Companion points.
    Since specific trumps general, you only use the rules from Sage's Knowledge, and toss out any Skill Points from the Animal Companion advancement.
    You still gain the points from both sources at appropriate intervals, and you use the higher cap granted to your companion from Sage's Knowledge for all purposes.
    You use both skill point sources and also both caps, so that at level 8 your familiar has 30 total Skill Points and a cap of 15 in any one skill. (Note this one is stupid but I could see someone argue for it)

I personally think 3 makes the most sense, but wanted to make sure.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Hey so just looking at some scholar things, and how would a Scholar's pet work assuming they had both Animal Training Small and Large, while it was a Sage Familiar? The increase to Intelligence looks not at all weird, but something funky happens with Sage's Knowledge. Basically it gives the familiar 2 Skill Points per level and a cap of your Familiar Level in any one skill. But since your Familiar in this case already gets some Skill Points from it's real Hit Dice, and has a skill cap normally equal to it's number of real Hit Dice, things are weird. There seem like 4 interpretations that make any sense:
    Since now it has real hit dice giving Skill Points, you only use the Animal Companion points.
    Since specific trumps general, you only use the rules from Sage's Knowledge, and toss out any Skill Points from the Animal Companion advancement.
    You still gain the points from both sources at appropriate intervals, and you use the higher cap granted to your companion from Sage's Knowledge for all purposes.
    You use both skill point sources and also both caps, so that at level 8 your familiar has 30 total Skill Points and a cap of 15 in any one skill. (Note this one is stupid but I could see someone argue for it)

I personally think 3 makes the most sense, but wanted to make sure.
    I'm leaning towards the third option as well, but I'm going to try and double-check with my contacts at Paizo since this would come up for certain Shaman builds as well. I suspect it's niche enough that they haven't considered it yet, but I'd like our rulings to be consistent with theirs on the subject.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still not sure why Striker is unarmed-only, with the possibility to expand it to light one-handed ones. I get the concept it's trying to emulate, but that concept can use all sorts of weapons.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

So I finally got around to reading the Troubadour and I quite love it. Is it likely to get something of the bonus feat genre in the full release?

Also you guys should probably include some language stating that Tame animals can't pick up the Beastmastery Sphere and in turn have their own Tame animals, and so on until you run out of animal merchants in town. That way lies madness.
    Last edited by Mithril Leaf; 2017-09-07 at 03:14 AM.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is written in kickstarter page, by Adam at 23rd of August.

Release

There is very little left for us on this end, so I am expecting Spheres of Might to be ready for layout by the end of the month. Thank you all once again for helping this project to happen, and I can't wait to show you what we've created!
    So when can we expect a release?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hal0Badger View Post
    So when can we expect a release?
    After layout is complete, pdf's will be ready. However, similar to the sphere handbooks, there is a time period between pdf and print, because inevitably punctuation, grammatical, and format errors are found in the pdf. With sphere handbooks, this usually translates as a 2-4 week wait inbetween pdf and print copies being available. Spheres of Might however is much larger and may very well remain in pdf form for 1-2 months before being made available in print.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

So can we expect a PDF release this month?

9. - Top - End - #189

According to Adam, at this point half of the book is mostly layouted. So my personal and unconfirmed opinion is that it's more likely to be published next month.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EldritchWeaver View Post
    According to Adam, at this point half of the book is mostly layouted. So my personal and unconfirmed opinion is that it's more likely to be published next month.
    That would be really great! I cannot wait to run a SoP&SoM only game, especially with the conversion archetypes. It would be really amazing if we can get our hands on a PDF version.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

So I finally got around to reading the Troubadour and I quite love it. Is it likely to get something of the bonus feat genre in the full release?

Also you guys should probably include some language stating that Tame animals can't pick up the Beastmastery Sphere and in turn have their own Tame animals, and so on until you run out of animal merchants in town. That way lies madness.
    Tame animals taking animals will be fixed in the final, thanks.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I'm still not sure why Striker is unarmed-only, with the possibility to expand it to light one-handed ones. I get the concept it's trying to emulate, but that concept can use all sorts of weapons.
    Writer of the striker here, and the reason for that is actually more mechanical, mostly due to not wanting to give too many attacks with a two handed weapon to avoid dealing too much damage. The light/unarmed is to keep the damage more in line with the other classes and the base assumptions of the book. Since it's a send up to the monk, the unarmed is also for flavor, but I didn't want to limit it to just monk weapons since I enjoy more variety there.

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by N. Jolly View Post
    Writer of the striker here, and the reason for that is actually more mechanical, mostly due to not wanting to give too many attacks with a two handed weapon to avoid dealing too much damage. The light/unarmed is to keep the damage more in line with the other classes and the base assumptions of the book. Since it's a send up to the monk, the unarmed is also for flavor, but I didn't want to limit it to just monk weapons since I enjoy more variety there.
    I know that Favored Weapon exists as a striker art, but is it too late to request another striker art that allows monk weapons in general to be used?

14. - Top - End - #194

Going to repeat my concerns about Dimensional Lunge

I have a question regarding the legendary talent Fencing (Dimensional Lunge). If you count as being in all unoccupied squares within 30' for reach and range increment purposes, does that include ones you cannot see due to walls and such? Ones above you that you couldn't actually be in due to lack of flight or similar? Ones on the floor(s) below (Or above) you, or are other wise underground? If yes on the first and last ones, does that grant you awareness of those squares? Awareness of the area around them?
    Adaptation of Child of Acavna and Amaznen into a "Spheres Fighter"
    Thank you Ganorenas

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    An Animated Object is a kind of creature. An animated object is a kind of item. So no, you can't apply a template. Unless you were to use animate objects to animate objects into Animated Objects and somehow apply templates while using animate objects to turn animate objects into Animate Objects for your Animated animated Object collection (or perhaps for a friend to watch anime with).

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by N. Jolly View Post
    That's unfortunate, but understandable. I guess my preferred combat style would require using another class. Probably Conscript.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

16. - Top - End - #196

Am I right in assuming the conversion archetypes will account for SoP conversion archetypes where applicable? In the case of SoP+SoM Magi/Bloodragers, for instance.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post
    Am I right in assuming the conversion archetypes will account for SoP conversion archetypes where applicable? In the case of SoP+SoM Magi/Bloodragers, for instance.
    Whenever possible, yes. In some instances we found that it simply wasn't possible to incorporate the SoP archetype with the related SoM archetype, but in those instances we'll try to address the gap in Champions of the Spheres, the gish add-on book, with new archetypes designed to blend both systems.

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    Whenever possible, yes. In some instances we found that it simply wasn't possible to incorporate the SoP archetype with the related SoM archetype, but in those instances we'll try to address the gap in Champions of the Spheres, the gish add-on book, with new archetypes designed to blend both systems.
    I think it should also be noted, that in cases where a SoM and SoP conversion archetype aren't compatible, you can always use the SoP archetype and then sacrifice 5, 7, or 9 feats to grant yourself a SoM talent progression.

19. - Top - End - #199

Glad that even those edge cases are eventually getting support. Ideally I'd like to be able to just have those archetypes replace the base classes for games I run so not having to require certain characters to lose several feats would be ideal

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Read the whole thread, and I didn't see it.

Alchemy Sphere requires selecting Formula or Toxin. Can I take the sphere again to get the other? If that's mentioned somewhere, where should I look for it in the Playtest Docs?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedMop View Post
    Read the whole thread, and I didn't see it.

Alchemy Sphere requires selecting Formula or Toxin. Can I take the sphere again to get the other? If that's mentioned somewhere, where should I look for it in the Playtest Docs?
    Master Chemist in the Alchemy Sphere.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Master Chemist in the Alchemy Sphere.
    Perfect. Are there equivalent things in the other spheres, such as Guardian?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Perfect. Are there equivalent things in the other spheres, such as Guardian?
    Yes. Any sphere divided into packages has an option to gain the other packages.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Yes. Any sphere divided into packages has an option to gain the other packages.
    Awesome. Thanks.

Next question. Investigator archetype Empiricist's Ceaseless Observation as a Scholar Knack. Thoughts?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Next question. Investigator archetype Empiricist's Ceaseless Observation as a Scholar Knack. Thoughts?
    I'm asking if it would break anything, not if it should be included in the book.

Q: If I brew something up with the alchemy sphere, say Improved Tanglefoot Bag, then gave it to someone without the alchemy sphere, say a monkey familiar, does it still work as an Improved Tanglefoot bag?

Q: Scholar's Knack Animal Training Large: What do I use for calculating the critter's HPs, Familiar or Animal Companion?
    Last edited by RedMop; 2017-09-15 at 03:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I may be going mad, but I can't find anywhere that you get the 2 bonus initial talents like a Spherecaster would upon first gaining Combat Training? Can anyone confirm or point me to the right place? Thanks

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by Aipaca View Post
    I may be going mad, but I can't find anywhere that you get the 2 bonus initial talents like a Spherecaster would upon first gaining Combat Training? Can anyone confirm or point me to the right place? Thanks
    You don't. Instead you might get a martial tradition which contains 4 talents. Might because you need to take your first level in a practitioner class.
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'm asking if it would break anything, not if it should be included in the book.

Q: If I brew something up with the alchemy sphere, say Improved Tanglefoot Bag, then gave it to someone without the alchemy sphere, say a monkey familiar, does it still work as an Improved Tanglefoot bag?

Q: Scholar's Knack Animal Training Large: What do I use for calculating the critter's HPs, Familiar or Animal Companion?
    Bump? Anyone?

29. - Top - End - #209

Yes, I believe it does still work as an Improved Tanglefoot Bag; and No, I dont think it will break anything.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Bump? Anyone?

Your improved alchemical items retain all of their benefits even if you give them to someone else. The scholar with Beastmastery and a flock of birds using the Bombard trick is one of our more insane test builds.

For the improved companion, use whichever statistics are most beneficial. So if animal companion hit points will give you more (typically but not always the case), use those.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2017-09-20 at 04:17 PM.