New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: American food to feed to a British friend?

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Tomato juice is a semi-common mixer for spirits, but putting it in beer is kinda weird. If only because beer isn't usually a mixing alcohol.
    I guess you've never heard of shandy then.
    Errare humanum est
    Live long and Prosper
    May the force be with you

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Shandy would be in that "usually". Yuki didn't say its never a mixed drink. Just that it isn't typically. Which it isn't. Shandys are also not made with tomato juice normally.
    Last edited by Razade; 2017-04-11 at 01:53 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    A quick search suggest that isn't just a "your grandpa" thing. Called a Red Eye (or with a couple other ingredients, a Michelada).

Seems like an odd thing to me, but then again... My grandpa took his morning orange juice with poison. Literally. He was a chemist, and he measured out the poison very carefully so that it would be neutralized by the acid in the OJ, and vice versa.
    Uhh, did he do it just to prove that he could and that he was a capable chemist, or was he trying to dose himself with it in an attempt to make himself immune to it? Seems like a very, very odd thing to do, and extremely dangerous, given that if you put just a tiny bit more in and it wouldn't be neutralized and he'd be dead.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Uhh, did he do it just to prove that he could and that he was a capable chemist, or was he trying to dose himself with it in an attempt to make himself immune to it? Seems like a very, very odd thing to do, and extremely dangerous, given that if you put just a tiny bit more in and it wouldn't be neutralized and he'd be dead.
    It depends on how strong the poison is - there might well be more leeway than that.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Any poison weak enough to be completely neutralized by the acidity of orange juice is probably weak enough that having a few drops of it wouldn't do much more than give you a stomach ache, if that. Your stomach is a lot more acidic than OJ to start with.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Any poison weak enough to be completely neutralized by the acidity of orange juice is probably weak enough that having a few drops of it wouldn't do much more than give you a stomach ache, if that. Your stomach is a lot more acidic than OJ to start with.
    A good point, but it honestly still seems like an odd thing to do, lol. Was more curious as to the reasoning behind it, I can't imagine sticking poison into a glass of OJ is particularly going to enhance it's flavor any, lol.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Our best guess is he did it to prove he was a capable chemist.

He claimed that the juice tasted smoother with it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Our best guess is he did it to prove he was a capable chemist.

He claimed that the juice tasted smoother with it.
    Given what I've heard of chemists, I think he's lucky that his grandpa didn't make explosives.

Maybe a thing to try is a Bloody Cesar. It's not American, but Canadian. But at this point I feel like I can't suggest American food as I have stopped understanding any food mentioned after a certain point. It's a mix of tomato juice, vodka, and clam broth/juice, garnished with celery salt. Not bad, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

A good point, but it honestly still seems like an odd thing to do, lol. Was more curious as to the reasoning behind it, I can't imagine sticking poison into a glass of OJ is particularly going to enhance it's flavor any, lol.
    Who knows, it might. Arsenic apparently tastes like almonds so tasty poison isn't unheard of.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Who knows, it might. Arsenic apparently tastes like almonds so tasty poison isn't unheard of.
    You're confusing arsenic with cyanide, I think--cyanide supposedly tastes of bitter almonds, while arsenic is either tasteless or maybe slightly sweet, according to lunatics people who've tried them.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

That's the one.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    [*]I think Maine and Massachusetts have something to do with some form of chowder. The Chesapeake Bay may also have its own form of chowder.
    I am from Maine. Please dont lump us in with them.

If you want Maine food, we have fiddleheads, boiled with saltpork and buttered, or deepfried.

We have the best lobsters hands down.

Every family up here has at least one recipe for wild game of one sort or another (my family loves my teryaki deer skewers, with onion and green pepper).

Our blueberries are some of the best you will ever have.

I think we are credited with the invention of the whoopie pie. Find a recipe and make him some of these.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    I am from Maine. Please dont lump us in with them.

If you want Maine food, we have fiddleheads, boiled with saltpork and buttered, or deepfried.

We have the best lobsters hands down.

Every family up here has at least one recipe for wild game of one sort or another (my family loves my teryaki deer skewers, with onion and green pepper).

Our blueberries are some of the best you will ever have.

I think we are credited with the invention of the whoopie pie. Find a recipe and make him some of these.
    Yea I was in Bar harbour awhile ago Clam Chowder, Lobster followed by Blueberry pie. Was the best meal I'd had in awhile and cheap as well think it came to $15 all in.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Firbolg in the Playground

How about Shoo-fly Pie (molasses crumb cake in a pie crust)
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)