New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) Starbuck's Core-ish Sunless Citadel

Bishop

"Shardyl'm eiryli, Goblins?" She had said incredulously to the barkeep before he had smiled politely and moved to serve a paying customer, a gnome with a large dog.

She sort of just stood there listening to everyone without really indicating what it was she was listening for.

When the townsfolk started talking about goblins the elf spoke up, her elven accent was thick, but her words spoken without hesitation "Are these raiding goblins the same who sell the Summers Orb?"

Spoiler: elven
    Show

Shardyl'm eiryli - A baboon who reads...? You think. It sounds like slang.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-04-04 at 07:27 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

I am not sure how any of that rules out goblins, myself. But thank you for the information. Goblins kill and eat humanoids, if they can't get something tastier, and organ meats are the richest and most savory....
    The golden apples came from the goblins. That was odd, but apple trees are easy to guard and hard to kill on accident.

3. - Top - End - #33

Thanking the guard and the townsperson, Orindun also says
    "I'm sure we can handle it. The mutilators are probably goblins, like he said."
    Epic anarchist avatar made by Linklele. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

The drunk, now, townsfolk, "well...hup, I am not sure if they are the same goblins, but then again everyone knows all of them look alike. Could be same group, but maybe it is a rival clan. Try not to kill the apple sellers, we like getting those apples."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Faustus sat silently as he listened to the others discuss the goblins and their mysterious fruit. Something about the whole affair seemed off; if the supposed fruit was such a miraculous cure-all, then why would the goblins be so willing to sell it for what even they must have realized was a paltry amount. Letting out a sigh, Faustus filed that question under a list of things he intended to ask the goblins (likely at sword point) once he encountered them.
    Well, at the very least we have an idea where to start looking.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Bishop

"I wish to find these goblins who grow such tosalelyr apples. It appears we will all be going in the same way. I will accompany you all along the old road in search of their grove. If we find the lost children I do not need the coin; I only wish to see this tree." she said.

Spoiler: elvish
    Show

tosalelyr - miraculous
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-04-05 at 02:13 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

7. - Top - End - #37

"I, Orindun Brightaxe shall go to help rescue the people!" Orindun shouts, a little too loudly.
    Last edited by Saint Jimmy; 2017-04-06 at 08:12 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Kobold

The hideous old gnome nods and gestures impatience. He then mumbles something that might be confused for encouraged exortation, but is actually mild swearing in Undercommon.
    Last edited by NiveanDauphin; 2017-04-06 at 12:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

*(I'll assume you guys follow the Old Road)
    You guys pass the gates leaving town, your choice to salute the guards or wave.
    The Old Road has seen better days is over grown with plants here and there, weeds growing through the walkway. Oaks line the sides of the road at times. And the party passes 3 abandoned farms on the way, a few cows corpses lay where they were slain by whatever got them.
    Here and there, you think you notice some light booted footprints, but they are either old or someone has gone through great efforts to hide them. They occur more frequently the closer you get to your destination.

A cold wind blows from the north. There is a sound of something shuffling through the leaves and plants nearby at times, but nothing is seen. After about 1 hours you see, a few tors (hills) with one with a door built into it.

Assuming you don't stop; after another 2 hours, you believe you arrived at your designation:
    The old road passes to the east of a narrow ravine. At the road's closest approach to the cleft, several broken pillars jut from the earth where the ravine widens and opens into something more akin to a deep, but narrow, canyon. Two of the pillars stand straight, but most of them lean against the sloped earth. Others are broken, and several have apparently fallen into the darkness-shrouded depths. A few similar pillars are in the opposite side of the ravine.

The ravine runs for several miles in either direction, with an average depth and width of 30 feet. At the point closest to the road, it widens to 40 feet. It also plunges much deeper into the earth near the pillars. The pillars appear covered in old graffiti bearing Dwarven runes.

Anyone approaching the edge of the ravine immediately notices a sturdy rope knitted to one of a leaning pillar. It hangs down into the darkness below, an judging by it's condition, it could not have been tied up for more than two or three weeks. Ancient handholds appeared to be carved into the cliff face.

Spoiler
    Show

I assumed, the slow walkers (20ft) would hustle for 1 hour only to avoid damage (while 30 ft'ers would hustle then walk, then hustle not fall behind the hustlers above), before the whole party slows down to 20ft per the rest of way.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Saber in hand, Faustus cautiously creeps up to the ravine's edge near where the rope is tied off and peers into the darkness to see if he can make anything out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot roll
    (1d20+4)[23]

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

With my eldritch darkvision (60') I creep to the edge and look down. If I can not see the bottom I cast dancing lights and choose the form of will o wisps to see if the depth is up to 110 ft.
    thanks for linkele for my avatar

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Faustus
    Spoiler
    Show

you can see most the length of the rope from the light above, but no further, you think there might be a surface near the tip of the rope, but light barely breaks through, it is quite hazy.
    Suddenly, Samuel casts a light making spell that lets you see the rope extends 80 ft before reaching some sort of ledge. However, even with dancing lights you can't see how far the chasm goes it is father than 110 ft down. The ledge has rubbish, bones, and junk on it. You see it spirals into a set of stairs leading down, but can see no further.

The handholds in the wall seem to go down to the ledge as well. They seem rather small, which may prove difficult to grab for medium creatures.

Samuel
    Spoiler
    Show

Since you didn't roll spot, I took 10 for you:
    you can clearly see that the rope doesn't yet reach any surface with darkvision. With your dancing lights, you can see there rope extends up to 80 ft before reaching some sort of ledge. However, even with dancing lights you can't see how far the chasm goes it is father than 110 ft down. The ledge has something on it. You see it spirals into a set of stairs leading down, but can see no further.

The handholds in the wall seem to go down to the ledge as well.

13. - Top - End - #43

Kobold

Centipete looks down. He considers using dancing lights as a racial ability, but will not, unless he is down there and needs to see. Right now, the other casting should at least determine if the rope is safe to rappel down.
    Last edited by NiveanDauphin; 2017-04-08 at 01:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks like the rope goes down about 80 ft. to a ledge of some kind that has some stairs leading further down. If I had to guess I'd say that's probably how our missing Hucreles entered the ruins. Orindun, you could probably see better in the darkness than the rest of us, why don't you try climbing down and see if you can make out anything else?

My Homebrew

Show

15. - Top - End - #45

Kobold

I could go and light my own way, but I think it would better to see if you... -[Gnomish curse]... Err.. People of Stature can be supported by the rope, so the normal folks don't get stranded if the rope snaps.

16. - Top - End - #46

Kobold

So, by all means to on ahead... I can get more light for the others. He chivvies the others impatiently...

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Bishop

She had jogged along quietly not really sure what the rush was but didn't want to be left behind. When they reached the ravine she merely kept watch of her surroundings at first to look out for goblins. When it became apparent that no goblins were around she became somewhat impatient before finally speaking.

"I think we depart ways here. I'm looking for goblins; I had hoped to find them but I have no business going down into this ruins."
    Camel's Handbook

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Faustus glares at Bishop Well where in the names of the gods did you think the goblins were going to be?
    Were you expecting perhaps that they were going to be living in some quaint mushroom village tending a magic apple tree? If you're looking for goblins-
    Faustus points down into the ravine that's where they're going to be hiding!
    Last edited by Alabenson; 2017-04-09 at 06:47 PM.

My Homebrew

Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Bishop

Her face had a disinterested look the entire time the human talked to her. When he was finished she took a somewhat bored look down into the ravine before looking back at him. With a shrug of her shoulders she replies, Shar col os si kyrn shor bai melol, No proof human"
    Camel's Handbook

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

*Pothoc* vrak. Take a closer look at the handholds carved into the ravine wall, they're too small for a human-sized creature to use comfortably. They would have been carved by smaller creatures, ones who would need a way to enter and exit the ruins on a regular basis. In other words, goblins. Faustus pauses for a moment before continuing. Unless of course you think they were made by some other small, underground dwelling race that the locals just happen to have forgotten about.

My Homebrew

Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Bishop

The elf looked like she was about to dismiss Faustus once again when she stopped suddenly and, actually looked, where Faustus had indicated. It's hard to read her face as she stares down the ravine but finally she turned back to Faustus and nodded, "Yes you're right. I doubt the tree is growing with no sunlight but perhaps these goblins know where to find the mushroom village."

She maintained a serious look the entire time and with her thick elven accent and mixing elven with common it's hard to tell if that was a joke or not.

"Send Spud down first? His nose needs no light." She says to the gnome while pulling out her bow and loading an arrow.
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2017-04-09 at 09:08 PM.
    Camel's Handbook

22. - Top - End - #52

Kobold

Centipete stares on in bemusement, which fades to slight horror. He had known Fom were dumb, but even animals understood the concept of a burrow, and that it would not necessarily be near every resource available... Oh well, they are big and flashy, and that counts, too.
    Last edited by NiveanDauphin; 2017-04-09 at 10:55 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Listening to Bishop and Faustus argue, Orindun sighed and slung his axe and shield on his back. After pulling the rope up and attempting to tie it areound his waist, he asks,
    Spoiler: Use rope
    Show

(d20)[12]

"Does anyone know how to tie knots? I would appreciate a better one around my waist, to catch me if I fall."
    Either way Orindun goes down on the rope, carefully going down as to not fall, and trusting that his dark vision would let him see.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Sorry for the wait, I was really busy all weekend and didn't have time to post.
    Am I able to take 10 or 20 on this? If so I want to do that, but if I can't just use the die roll.
    Climb:
    (d20+3)[6]
    EDIT: Oh please please please let there be the option to take 10 or 20...
    Last edited by Saint Jimmy; 2017-04-10 at 08:00 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Lucky you, DC using rope to climb down is less than 6.

Slowly Orindun is let down making a few hiccups, but landing safely.
    Even with Orindun's darkvision can’t see far wall of chasm, nor bottom of vault. Obvious rat print are found made in the ground, but these prints are bigger than a normal. Also found are accumulated ash of hundreds of fires?

The rubbish to the east starts moving; it has a coat of coarse fur, a long and scabby tail, and two glittering eyes. It drools and suddenly something lunges at Orindun, then other things crawl out near Orindun, they are thought only a myth, surprise attack!

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+6)[14]
    Orindun make a bull rush roll, it has decided to push you over. Its allies aid it +4. If he succeeds you fall 20 ft on stairs, and hope you don't roll down them. You get +4 due to stability and +4 being medium so unless you roll terrible you should be fine.

Everyone roll Initative, though, unless you climb down, you'll have to use a range attack/magic.

Map: Assuming I did map right, should be viewable, you
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gD8/edit#gid=0

25. - Top - End - #55

Assuming bull rush is adding Strength in this edition.
    (d20+11)[27] (8 from the bonuses you said, three from strength modifier.)

Inititive: (d20)[17]

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

The rat thuds hard off your chest, it snarls and readies itself for combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Forgot to roll init for rats
    (1d20+3)[10]

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing Orindun under attack, Faustus grabs the rope and begins to rappel down to join the fray.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+6)[10]
    If possible, Faustus takes 10 on his climb check, otherwise Climb; (1d20+3)[19]

My Homebrew

Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Bugbear in the Playground

Samuel sees the commotion and prepares to fight and use his eldritch blasts.

Spoiler: initiative
    Show

(1d20-1)[16]
    Last edited by Iceseer; 2017-04-10 at 12:11 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Kobold

Centipete is dismayed that it came to this; he could have negotiate with the beasts under other circumstances. Oh, well. He uses Resistance on Faustus, if he can be reached in time. Otherwise, he uses it on Samuel.
    Spoiler: initiative
    Show
    (1d20+2)[13]

30. - Top - End - #60

Orindun shouts a dwarven battle cry as he draws his axe swings it at what he assumes is a giant rat. As the axe cuts into its flesh, it leaves a glowing mark in the shape of Moradin's symbol, a hammer and anvil on he thing's flesh.

Spoiler: ROLL AND OOC
    Show

Vanguard's Strike
    (d20+5)[12]
    (d10+3)[4]
    Allies gain +4 to attack rolls against the target.
    Last edited by Saint Jimmy; 2017-04-10 at 03:34 PM.