New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Default OK so how dose combat work, exactly?

OK so i'm playing my first game Vampire the masquerade 3rd ed and can't figure out the combat system, the only one iv ever used is the D&D system.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OK so how dose combat work, exactly?

What exactly is confusing you? The rules seem straight forward to me across all the editions. If you can narrow down what you're having a problem grasping you will get better advice.
    Most of my posts are made on my mobile device. Please excuse any errors from auto correct.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

If you're using melee weapons, the pointy end goes in the other guy. If you're using guns, it's a basic point and click interface.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The core of it is pretty similar to D&D. In D&D you have a to hit roll (against AC) and a to damage roll (against DR/Resistance/Whatever). In Vampire you have essentially the same two rolls, but they're both opposed rolls. To hit is opposed by a relevant combat skill (in melee it's usually just the other person's relevant weapon skill), and damage is opposed by soak.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

So, correct me if I'm wrong on this, folks.

Kevin has a Strength, Dexterity, Stamina and Melee of 3. Jacquie has Strength, Dexterity, Stamina and Melee of 2. They are both using knives, so their damage is Strength +1.

Jacquie goes first, rolling Dexterity + Melee against a difficulty of 6. Kevin chooses not to use the Parry maneuver. Jacquie rolls 4 dice, and gets a 10, 7, 3, and 2. Two successes, which is a hit. Normally, her damage is 3 dice (Strength + 1), but she gets an extra die because she got more than one success; had she gotten 3 successes, she would have gotten 2 extra dice. For damage, she rolls 8, 6, 5, 3... again, two successes. Kevin tries to soak the damage with his 3 dice of Stamina... 10, 4, 3. He takes 1 point of damage, since he reduced her 2 successes by his 1 success. With 1 box taken, he is "Bruised"... no combat effect.

Kevin now attacks. He rolls Dexterity + Melee against a difficulty of 6, but whiffs entirely... six dice and nothing higher than a 4. We move on to the next round.

Kevin goes first this time. Jacquie, who knows she's outmatched, decides to Parry, but she also wants to attack. So, while Kevin is rolling 6 dice to attack, Jacquie is rolling 2 dice to defend (Dexterity + Melee, minus two dice for two actions), and only 1 for the attack (Dexterity + Melee, minus 2 dice for 2 actions, minus 1 more die for being the second action). Kevin rolls 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, and 5.... five successes. Ouch. Jacqui rolls 7 and 4 to parry, reducing his 5 successes to 4. Kevin rolls 8 dice for damage (Strength +1 for the knife +4 for the successes), getting 9, 9, 7, 7, 4, 3, 3, 2... 4 successes. Jacquie soaks with her 3 dice of Stamina... 9, 7, 2. Two successes. She throws in a Willpower for a free success, giving her 1 point of damage.

Jacqui now attacks with her 1 die. A 6 is "Good enough", so she does 3 dice of damage, 7, 6, 5, 2 successes, v. Kevin's 6, 4, 2...1 net success. Kevin is now "Hurt", and will get a 1 die penalty going forward.

Kevin goes first; he's going to toss in a parry, now, too, while Jacqui is going to go without. Kevin attacks with 3 dice (Dexterity + Melee, -1 for injuries and -2 for 2 actions), for 10, 10, 3; two successes. His damage is 4 dice (damage dice aren't impacted by injury), 3, 2, 2, 1. No Successes; if it weren't damage, he would've botched. Jacqui doesn't even need to both to roll soak.

Jacqui rolls her 4 dice for attack, while Kevin rolls 2 dice to defend (Dex+Melee, -1 injury, -2 for 2 actions, -1 for second action). Jacqui: 10, 9, 9, 5. Kevin: 8, 3. Jacqui has 2 net successes, so gets +1 damage. 10, 6, 3, 1. Kevin: 9, 3, 1. One net success, one damage to Kevin, who is now Injured, with the same -1 to his dice pool.

The fight can continue from there. Remember, any 1s subtract successes from your total.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.