New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

eek [3.5e] Geas restrictions

Ok, so I'm running a campaign in which the 7 most powerful wizards (well into Epic levels) have been placed under some kind of Geas by the BBEG, who in this case is an evil deity.

Essentially, these 7 were prophecied to stop him, and when they initially reached out to attack him, he used a set of prepared Scry/Geas/Curse combos in order to 'lock away' his competition.

I am struggling to think of a combo which would be enough to stop an epic-tier wizard, but would theoretically be able to be broken by them (so the geas retains the juicy 'until task finished' modifier).

Can you have multiple Geas's on the same person, but with almost-but-not-quite-conflicting messages? If for example, you had a "Clean every stone in your tower during the day" and a "Soil, defile and deface every stone in your tower during the night" geas, would that work, especially if combined with a "Mute" curse? (Assuming the tower is large enough that they cannot do both or either in the time alloted, and as such would start to rack up serious hp loss or stat penalties)

And would it be possible to break a deity-level geas? If so, how?

Cheers for any help,

Sam

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e] Geas restrictions

welp this is complex request but geass you are my slave, craft contengency when geass breaks cast mind rape then cast geass with same order again and last but not least if not works cast meta magiced deathrores centred on wizard it self hope it helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Ok, let me distill the request down then: Is it possible to have multiple geas's affecting a target simultaneously?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

If I were a Wizard instructed to clean every stone in my tower during the day without the use of magic until they are all clean, and dirty every stone in my tower without the use of magic during the night until they are all dirty, I would simply do one of them faster than the other so that I can finish that one, break the geas, then finish the other one and there you go, I'm back in business.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kahlzun View Post
    Ok, let me distill the request down then: Is it possible to have multiple geas's affecting a target simultaneously?
    It seems possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Mental Control Effects

Sometimes magical effects that establish mental control render each other irrelevant, such as a spell that removes the subjects ability to act. Mental controls that don’t remove the recipient’s ability to act usually do not interfere with each other. If a creature is under the mental control of two or more creatures, it tends to obey each to the best of its ability, and to the extent of the control each effect allows. If the controlled creature receives conflicting orders simultaneously, the competing controllers must make opposed Charisma checks to determine which one the creature obeys.
    If multiple effects from different creatures all work then multiple effects from the same creature should too. Ultimately it is a GM call.

Geas the spell is mind affecting and a compulsion to boot. It can be stopped by mind blank or even protection from evil. I'm not sure if divine ranks will do anything about that fact.
    I am rel.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    If I were a Wizard instructed to clean every stone in my tower during the day without the use of magic until they are all clean, and dirty every stone in my tower without the use of magic during the night until they are all dirty, I would simply do one of them faster than the other so that I can finish that one, break the geas, then finish the other one and there you go, I'm back in business.
    I'd just destroy my tower or give it away, then claim a miniature tower model that can fit in the palm of my hand as my "tower".
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    I'd just destroy my tower or give it away, then claim a miniature tower model that can fit in the palm of my hand as my "tower".
    I figure that would trip the "prevented from fulfilling" clause.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

One of the most iconic stories about geasa is how Cú Chullain ended up dying because he was under two separate oaths of "Never refuse hospitality from a woman" and "Never eat dog meat". Shortly before an important battle, his enemies had a woman offer him dog meat, forcing him to break one of his geasa and become weakened.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2017-04-06 at 11:01 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

I think i'll stick with some geas about "... your tower" and have one clever wizard get out of it by selling his tower to a trusted friend.
    It is no longer 'his' tower, geas expires, buys it back from him.

Its sufficiently simple enough to be worked out within a couple of days, and clever enough that only 1 of the 7 would figure it out.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by kahlzun View Post
    I think i'll stick with some geas about "... your tower" and have one clever wizard get out of it by selling his tower to a trusted friend.
    It is no longer 'his' tower, geas expires, buys it back from him.

Its sufficiently simple enough to be worked out within a couple of days, and clever enough that only 1 of the 7 would figure it out.
    Why didn't the Wizard free his friends?

Why didn't the friends free each other using (epic?) spells or the like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rel View Post
    It seems possible.

If multiple effects from different creatures all work then multiple effects from the same creature should too. Ultimately it is a GM call.

Geas the spell is mind affecting and a compulsion to boot. It can be stopped by mind blank or even protection from evil. I'm not sure if divine ranks will do anything about that fact.
    Would I be correct in thinking that Protection from Evil prevents geas from being cast on you, but has no effect if cast after geas has been cast, while mindblank can negate the geas?

Otherwise, PfE is very powerful for a first level spell.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaedil View Post
    Would I be correct in thinking that Protection from Evil prevents geas from being cast on you, but has no effect if cast after geas has been cast, while mindblank can negate the geas?

Otherwise, PfE is very powerful for a first level spell.
    Neither, geas does not provide ongoing control. The parameters of the spell are set at the time of casting, and provides the caster no ability to control the subject in an ongoing manner any more than a confusion spell would.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Neither, geas does not provide ongoing control. The parameters of the spell are set at the time of casting, and provides the caster no ability to control the subject in an ongoing manner any more than a confusion spell would.
    Wait, but is the effect applied once or every time the player goes against the setting of the geas?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Protection from evil doesn't stop spells being cast it merely supresses their effects for its duration.
    So, assuming your GM rules the geas of 'do what I say' is a form of ongoing control, a protection from evil spell will suppress the geas for the few minutes it is up.

Mind blank provides protection but doesn't elaborate what that means. I would rule mind blank stops spells from working as they are being cast but merely supresses already active spells if it is cast after them.
    I am rel.