New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread II: Where The Em Dash Doesn't Exist

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Is negative LA legitimately not allowed by the rules? Or is it just that it has no real precedent? Because some creatures have enough worthless RHD to make them require negative LA to be in line with other characters.
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's a rule out there forbidding it, but there is precedent. Both Incarnate Construct and the ELH have material with a negative LA (though the second mentions it indirectly and both are 3.0). (EDIT: Ninja'ed on this one, curse my long posts!)

However, there's a number of reasons why I'm not going to use negative LAs beyond -0, which I have stated a number of times before already.

To put it simply, I'm not doing it because it breaks assumed assumptions of level and HD limits. Almost all PrCs are enterable much earlier if your HD exceeds your ECL, many feats (including some horribly broken ones) become available before they're meant to, and spells that should be effective against low-level PCs (such as Cause Fear, Color Spray or Sleep) aren't all of a sudden.

Also, there's going to be situations where a creature is underpowered at +0 LA, but strengthened so much by suddenly being ahead a skill rank and HD on everyone that it's too strong at -1. Those will be a bit trickier than I was hoping for when creating this thread.

In some cases, people are going to pick something completely horrible and useless (like a gas spore) only because of the massive negative LA it'll get, then enter Ur Priest or something equivalent first chance they get. I don't want to encourage that.

I already advise people who want to play something with -0 LA to ask their DM for a houserule, fix, or variant, which I feel is a better solution at this time than trying to measure the exact point at which the headstart on the party starts to outweigh the drawbacks of HD.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-05-06 at 02:41 PM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    It does wonky stuff with epic rules, so it's easier to prevent problems by not allowing negative LA. There is at least one template that provides negative LA - Incarnate Construct.
    I'm pretty sure Incarnate Construct was intended for races with a high base level adjustment. Because high Strength, natural armor, construct traits, and such are hugely powerful abilities, overshadowed only by construct hit dice.
    Last edited by GreatWyrmGold; 2017-05-06 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Some forums just color everything after a [color] tab, even if there isn't an [/color] tab.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Merfolk

Merfolk, much like hobgoblins, are one of those races currently a weak +1. Assigning its LA is going to be a matter of determining whether it'd be overpowered at +0.

Let's take a look: merfolk have a swim speed of 50 feet, a land speed one-tenth of that, and a +2 bonus to dexterity, constitution, and charisma. They're also aquatic with the amphibious quality and... well, that's it.

Sure, the stat boosts are nice, and the swim speed is above-average even for aquatic races, but even in a fully underwater campaign I doubt +1 LA is balanced. +0 assigned for the time being.
    Bring me your disagreement: I shall bathe in it!
    Next are completely unsuspicious treasure chests!
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-05-07 at 03:50 AM.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

I think we can go with -0 merfolk basicly has no movement speed and loot of combats are done with full use of 30 ft or more movement speed so -0 for me unless we give them change shape free so they can switch between ground and see combat
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    I think we can go with -0 merfolk basicly has no movement speed and loot of combats are done with full use of 30 ft or more movement speed so -0 for me unless we give them change shape free so they can switch between ground and see combat
    When assigning the LA, I am assuming the campaign takes place underwater. Merfolk have 50 ft. movement underwater.

Extended signature!

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Even out of water, they're not completely terrible. You miss out on cool racial features and rapid independent movement in exchange for decent stats and the water stuff. They'd make decent sorcerers or warlocks, and the movement speed issue can be avoided by simply buying a horse (or getting the fighter to give you a piggyback ride).
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

A large fishbowl with wheels would also work. And it would give you cover, too. *nod*
    Last edited by Celestia; 2017-05-07 at 08:38 AM.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

I know there are ways to get flight in early levels and there is some intresting rp potencial for mermaid warlock
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Banned

I know there are ways to get flight in early levels and there is some intresting rp potencial for mermaid warlock
    No more than a human warlock, for the most part. Merfolk are just humans with fishtails, after all.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    No more than a human warlock, for the most part. Merfolk are just humans with fishtails, after all.
    more on the how she made the f ing pact while in underwater were nearly no regular way to keep files there

11. - Top - End - #281
    Banned

more on the how she made the f ing pact while in underwater were nearly no regular way to keep files there
    Warlocks don't always have a pact as the source of their power and all you need to do to have files underwater, whatever that has to do with anything, is keep them on something that doesn't dissolve in water.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Well it could be chiseled in stone or signed with a magic laser pen in return for her voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you think Warlocks get to keep a physical copy of their Pact? Do you think most of them will even know how to read it, given that it's written in an extraplanar language? Heck, what makes you think it has to be written in the first place? Verbal contracts are a thing, and magic makes some weird things happen.

And even if this merfolk Warlock did have a physical copy, it'd probably be some form of well-treated or magically infused parchment, which is actually a type of leather, written in ink that chemically or magically burns the words into the sheet(s) so as to make it damn sure that it won't degrade from simple age and mundane exposure. It wouldn't even be particularly difficult, given some of the 0th and 1st level spells around.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Do you think Warlocks get to keep a physical copy of their Pact? Do you think most of them will even know how to read it, given that it's written in an extraplanar language? Heck, what makes you think it has to be written in the first place? Verbal contracts are a thing, and magic makes some weird things happen.

And even if this merfolk Warlock did have a physical copy, it'd probably be some form of well-treated or magically infused parchment, which is actually a type of leather, written in ink that chemically or magically burns the words into the sheet(s) so as to make it damn sure that it won't degrade from simple age and mundane exposure. It wouldn't even be particularly difficult, given some of the 0th and 1st level spells around.
    For that matter, if the Pact is represented by a physical object, said physical representation is almost certainly an Artifact-level item, or effectively one.
    After all - this object covers a deal involving selling one's soul for power, that's not something you can get rid of by tossing in a bucket of water or in a fire.

If Pacts were so easy to get out of, on purpose or by accident, there'd be no point in making Pacts for the Patrons.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    Warlocks don't always have a pact as the source of their power and all you need to do to have files underwater, whatever that has to do with anything, is keep them on something that doesn't dissolve in water.
    Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    If Pacts were so easy to get out of, on purpose or by accident, there'd be no point in making Pacts for the Patrons.
    Yeah, but the idea of getting out of an infernal contract because the fiend forgot to waterproof it first is hilarious.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Yeah, but the idea of getting out of an infernal contract because the fiend forgot to waterproof it first is hilarious.
    first he or she needs to make con check to not suffocate from sudden breath loss

17. - Top - End - #287
    Colossus in the Playground

While it's worthwhile to avoid marking down for disabilities that will obviously not be a problem to anybody who actually bothers taking the race, I will say that requiring investment of resources to function on land is a pretty big one, and even in a primarily-aquatic campaign, it's not unreasonable to expect land to come up. I agree with a +0 LA. I think they're already 1 HD critters, so that gets overwritten by their class levels, right?

And totally unsuspicious treasure chests are clearly super-high LA, since they're filled with xp for the Thief! >_> <_<

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I think they're already 1 HD critters, so that gets overwritten by their class levels, right?
    They are, and it does.

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #289
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll give you that.

On the flip side ... if the fiend has forgotten to waterproof the contract, they probably aren't going to be able to give you much.
    That, or they're so incompetent that they've given you more than they intended, or otherwise did such a bad job locking the terms of the deal down and closing loopholes you could use, that you wouldn't want to get out of the deal, because they left loopholes you could throw a colossus through that you're taking advantages.
    I'd sooner bet on the former, rather than the latter, myself.
    Although, the latter could lead to an interesting campaign - some politically connected yet incompetent fiend has screwed up making pacts, and the party is directed to fix things, and then cover it all up, by a higher ranking fiend (or expose the matter or otherwise use the situation to their own advantage.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by javcs View Post
    I'll give you that.

On the flip side ... if the fiend has forgotten to waterproof the contract, they probably aren't going to be able to give you much.
    That, or they're so incompetent that they've given you more than they intended, or otherwise did such a bad job locking the terms of the deal down and closing loopholes you could use, that you wouldn't want to get out of the deal, because they left loopholes you could throw a colossus through that you're taking advantages.
    I'd sooner bet on the former, rather than the latter, myself.
    Although, the latter could lead to an interesting campaign - some politically connected yet incompetent fiend has screwed up making pacts, and the party is directed to fix things, and then cover it all up, by a higher ranking fiend (or expose the matter or otherwise use the situation to their own advantage.
    I actually pity the hypothetical fiend more than the warlock in these situations.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Mimic

I'm back! This thread isn't dead!

Mimics are Large aberrations with 7 RHD. Their ability scores are reasonably good: strength, constitution, dexterity, and wisdom all receive bonuses.

Surprisingly, mimics seem to have two limbs with opposable thumbs, which they can even make slam attacks with if necessary. Those hit by the slams are affected by its Adhesive, which is a form of grappling that may or may not beat FoM. Weapons, too, can be affected by it.

However, one big problem is that mimics have a land speed of only 10 ft. Even when charging, there's a reasonable chance of them not reaching their targets, and they lack any kind of competitive ranged attacks. As Adhesive is only useful in melee, this is quite a problem.

Finally, there's Mimic Shape: the bread and butter of these critters. It's kind of poorly-written and probably doesn't play nice with equipment, but there's potential, as it doesn't specify any size limits beyond the volume restriction. Arguably, this allows you to do things such as turning into an inch-thick, mile-long pole and reforming at its other end with two standard actions, or blocking off an entire street by turning into some thin but large surface. Ask your DM.

I'm going to assign -0 here, though, as mimics have a pretty bad chassis with only one trick that may not even work. Feedback is of course still welcome.

Next time: squid thingies!
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-05-18 at 12:06 AM.

Extended signature!

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Mimic

I'm back! This thread isn't dead!

Mimics are Large aberrations with 7 RHD. Their ability scores are reasonably good: strength, constitution, dexterity, and wisdom all receive bonuses.

Surprisingly, mimics seem to have two limbs with opposable thumbs, which they can even make slam attacks with if necessary. Those hit by the slams are affected by its Adhesive, which is a form of grappling that may or may not beat FoM. Weapons, too, can be affected by it.

However, one big problem is that mimics have a land speed of only 10 ft. Even when charging, there's a reasonable chance of them not reaching their targets, and they lack any kind of competitive ranged attacks. As Adhesive is only useful in melee, this is quite a problem.

Finally, there's Mimic Shape: the bread and butter of these critters. It's kind of poorly-written and probably doesn't play nice with equipment, but there's potential, as it doesn't specify any size limits beyond the volume restriction. Arguably, this allows you to do things such as turning into an inch-thick, mile-long pole and reforming at its other end with two standard actions, or blocking off an entire street by turning into some thin but large surface. Ask your DM.

I'm going to assign +0 here, but feedback is of course still welcome.

Next time: squid thingies!
    Hmm, the Mimic(real name: Boxford) in Rusty and Co. doesn't seem to have arms...

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Hmm, the Mimic(real name: Boxford) in Rusty and Co. doesn't seem to have arms...
    Has it ever been in a situation where it needed them, though? It may simply choose not to grow any for the same reason you and I would dislike the idea of unnecessary spider legs sprouting from our shoulders.

Extended signature!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Has it ever been in a situation where it needed them, though? It may simply choose not to grow any for the same reason you and I would dislike the idea of unnecessary spider legs sprouting from our shoulders.
    First, he, not it. Second, there's a panel where his party can't open a door due to a collective lack of hands. It's fairly early in the comic, too. Third, he's come close to death several times due to sucking in the offensive department. Pretty sure the creator of the comic knows that, though, and the lack of hands is done for the Rule of Funny.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    First, he, not it. Second, there's a panel where his party can't open a door due to a collective lack of hands. It's fairly early in the comic, too. Third, he's come close to death several times due to sucking in the offensive department. Pretty sure the creator of the comic knows that, though, and the lack of hands is done for the Rule of Funny.
    I stand corrected, then.

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

I stand corrected, then.
    Seriously, the comic is pure D&D comedy gold. Especially the alt text. Check it out.

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it would be fun to play a mimic because of all th e nifty thing you can do, though only because I really like transformation abilities.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Colossus in the Playground

Mimics are ambush predators, so their 10 ft. speed is not as big a problem as one might think. The whole idea is that their prey comes into reach, thinking it's something else.

That said, as a PC, the 10 ft. speed is problematic. We're not generally basing LA adjustments in this thread on what CAN be done with help, or I'd say that the addition of a spellcaster using fly or something would overwrite that weakness.

At 7 HD, are they as good as a 7th level fighter? Low bar, I know, but if so, +0 is probably fair. If they're better, we should check to see if they're better than, say, a 7th level Barbarian or Rogue. The mimic clearly isn't a caster, so comparing them to high-tier classes isn't going to get us anywhere.

With reasonable mental stats (none seem to be detriments), a Mimic could be a good infiltrator-type scout, and spy. Pick up Disguise, Diplomacy, Search, and Sense Motive, and he'd be very good at such a job.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

you can make a good sneak attack build maybe just sit there to let target get close then grab and coup de grace the target

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Mimics are ambush predators, so their 10 ft. speed is not as big a problem as one might think. The whole idea is that their prey comes into reach, thinking it's something else.

That said, as a PC, the 10 ft. speed is problematic. We're not generally basing LA adjustments in this thread on what CAN be done with help, or I'd say that the addition of a spellcaster using fly or something would overwrite that weakness.

At 7 HD, are they as good as a 7th level fighter? Low bar, I know, but if so, +0 is probably fair. If they're better, we should check to see if they're better than, say, a 7th level Barbarian or Rogue. The mimic clearly isn't a caster, so comparing them to high-tier classes isn't going to get us anywhere.

With reasonable mental stats (none seem to be detriments), a Mimic could be a good infiltrator-type scout, and spy. Pick up Disguise, Diplomacy, Search, and Sense Motive, and he'd be very good at such a job.
    Infiltrator is an entirely possible role for a mimic to fulfill, but I'd like to point out it's quite a narrow niche. Besides, something like a Hairy Spider (+0 LA, 0 RHD) or Shadow creature (+2 LA) will probably be better still.

Extended signature!