New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Corellon and encountering him from the perspective of a wizard fan

When you think about it, Corellon really does have a lot of enemies. Let's look at them all:
    Lolth Stole the dark elves away from him and made them treacherous MM3
    Gruumsh Were once brothers,until Corellon took his eye to be determined
    Vecna Corellon frowns upon undead Open Grave

I thought I would craft my own stats for him, using the Angry DM's guide.Here it is. Related stats are there for the sake of completion. Sehine and Gruumsh are coming soon!
    How am I the tactician when my answers specified enchantment !?

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

I started in a ruined castle with a tiefling warlock attacking.Hack and slash party

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Corellon and encountering him from the perspective of a wizard fan

Notes that occur as I read:

HP is super low. I imagine something else is going on.
    Resistance and Vulnerability by power source is pretty unfortunate. A party can't really change those very easily.
    Same deal with the aura.
    Why is C's MM not auto-hit?
    I would add at least a neat damage type or something on Magic Flurry. The MBA is pretty uninteresting but I guess that could be okay.
    All these damage numbers feel pretty low. I feel like a lot of level 30 parties are going to shrug these attacks off.
    I assume your second wind entry isn't meant to imply C is a lich.
    The bladesingers seem to have as many save-ends effects as C. That's a little off.
    I see why the HP is low now.

Overall he feels very defensive stat wise, but is super weak to negative effects. Give him ways to make out of turn saving throws, or just ignore and remove effects. I think a better status affliction would also get the Wizard feel across more. More keywords too. Wizards get a lot of those.

Artificer-
    I think you're missing the recharge on the Magic Flurry power.
    Why does the crossbow deal 5d10+1? Why does a crossbow of all things have an effect on a miss?
    I don't think I understand how the familiar works. How would you dismiss it three times in a row if it's an encounter power? This also feels like a weird mini-game to play to regain 90 hit points.

Okay I'm really lost. He turns in to a swordmage or a lich? The lich part from before feels like a spoiler now.

Lich-
    Turn that necrotic damage aura up. Vecna has a 50.
    Why so many attacks that are just plain damage?
    Why stunned on the orb? I want to see weakened, penalties to hits or defenses, etc. Give me effects that make feel like my character is being assaulted by necrotic energy.

It looks like shadowguard is on there twice? I'd also make one a defender-y type and the other something else. Give the lich some choice.

Overall, I feel like Corellon is lacking some real teeth for a level 40 solo, and probably also needs some ways to shrug off negative effects. I've tried my hand at designing some gods in the past if you'd like to swap notes.

Edit: I do like the transformations a lot. Apologies for focusing mostly on negatives. I think you have the idea of a cool opponent here, just need to make him a bit more deadly.
    Last edited by Meta; 2017-04-06 at 06:23 PM.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

No need to apologize, it's fine! The hit point thing is the same as for Lolth or this guy, who was published by the Angry DM.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started in a ruined castle with a tiefling warlock attacking.Hack and slash party

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dadada View Post
    No need to apologize, it's fine! The hit point thing is the same as for Lolth or this guy, who was published by the Angry DM.
    Yeah I think the transformations and smaller HP pools are great. Does Corellon lose all effects on him when he transitions in to a new form?
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Meta View Post
    Yeah I think the transformations and smaller HP pools are great. Does Corellon lose all effects on him when he transitions in to a new form?
    Yup! He even recharges encounter powers and basically becomes a new monster

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright, since I don't want to have to create a new PDF every time I update him, here you go:

Corellon the Wizard Level 40 Solo Artillery
    Gargantuan immortal humanoid (deity) XP 555,000
    HP 300; Bloodied 150
    Regeneration 10
    AC 52; Fortitude 48; Reflex 56; Will 58
    Speed 6
    Immune disease
    Saving Throws +5; Action Points 3
    Initiative +37
    Perception +36
    Truesight 10
    Traits
    O Master of Magic • Aura 30
    Arcane spellcasters in the aura take 10 radiant damage at the start of their turn if they do not worship Corellon.
    Standard Actions
    r Magic Missile (force) • At-Will
    Effect: Ranged 20; 7d4 + 13.
    r Freezing Bolt (cold) • At-Will
    Attack: Ranged 20; +45 vs. Reflex
    Hit: 4d8 + 12 cold damage and the target is slowed until the end of its next turn.
    A Frightful Orb (fear, psychic) • Encounter
    Attack: Area burst 2 within 20; +45 vs. Will
    Hit: 4d6 + 13 psychic damage, and the target uses its first action on its next turn to move at least three squares away from Corellon.
    m Staff of Corellon (weapon) • At-Will
    Attack: Melee 1; +47 vs. AC
    Hit: 1d10 + 16.
    C Magic Flurry (arcane, artifice) • Recharge 5 6
    Attack: Close Burst 3 (All creatures in Burst); +45 vs. Reflex
    Hit: 8d10 + 12 thunder damage.
    R Mindfire (psychic, radiant) • Recharge 5 6
    Attack: Ranged 20; +45 vs. Will
    Hit: 10d6 + 10 psychic and radiant damage, and the target is dazed and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks and ability checks (save ends).
    Move Actions
    Improved Fey Step (teleportation) • Encounter
    Effect: Teleport 10 squares. When Corellon uses improved fey step, it gains a +2 bonus to all defenses until the end of its next turn.
    Minor Actions
    Second Wind (healing) • Encounter
    Effect: Corellon spends a healing surge and heals 200 hit points. Corellon gains a +2 bonus to all defenses until the start of its next turn.
    C Mind Scramble (charm, psychic) • At-Will
    Attack: Close blast 5; +45 vs. Will; targets one enemy
    Hit: 3d6 + 12 psychic damage, slide the target 3 squares, and Corellon is invisible to the target (save ends).
    Summon Elder Bladesinger (summoning) • Recharge 6
    Effect: Corellon summons an Elder Eladrin Bladesinger from one of his temples to fight on his behalf.
    Triggered Actions
    Change of Forms • At-Will
    Trigger: Corellon the Wizard drops to 0 hit points.
    Effect (Immediate Interrupt): Corellon the Wizard becomes Corellon the Artificer.
    Skills Arcana +38, Dungeoneering +36, Heal +36, History +38, Insight +36, Nature +36, Religion +38
    Str 27 (+28) Dex 39 (+34) Wis 33 (+31)
    Con 27 (+28) Int 36 (+33) Cha 27 (+28)
    Alignment unaligned*****Languages Common, Elven, Supernal
    Equipment staff of corellon, cloth armor (basic clothing), astral symbol, orb of corellon, tome of corellon, wand of corellon

© 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved. This formatted statistics block has been generated using the D&D Adventure Tools.

Corellon the Artificer Level 40 Solo Artillery
    Gargantuan immortal humanoid (deity) XP 555,000
    HP 400; Bloodied 200
    Regeneration 10
    AC 52; Fortitude 48; Reflex 56; Will 58
    Speed 6
    Immune disease
    Saving Throws +5; Action Points 3
    Initiative +37
    Perception +36
    Truesight 10
    Traits
    Arcane spellcasters in the aura take 10 radiant damage at the start of their turn if they do not worship Corellon.
    Standard Actions
    A Frightful Orb (fear, psychic) • Encounter
    Attack: Area burst 2 within 20; +45 vs. Will
    Hit: 4d6 + 13 psychic damage, and the target uses its first action on its next turn to move at least three squares away from Corellon.
    C Magic Flurry (arcane, artifice) • Recharge 5 6
    Attack: Close Burst 3 (All creatures in Burst); +45 vs. Reflex
    Attack: Melee 1; +47 vs. AC
    Hit: 1d10 + 16 damage.
    R Mindfire (psychic, radiant) • Recharge
    Attack: Ranged 20; +45 vs. Will
    Hit: 10d6 + 10 psychic and radiant damage, and the target is dazed and takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls, skill checks and ability checks (save ends).
    R Repeating Crossbow (weapon) • At-Will
    Requirements: Corellon must have his repeating crossbow.
    Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); +47 vs. AC
    Hit: 5d10 + 1 damage.
    Move Actions
    Effect: Teleport 10 squares. When Corellon uses improved fey step, it gains a +2 bonus to all defenses until the end of its next turn.
    Minor Actions
    Effect: Corellon spends a healing surge and heals 200 hit points. Corellon gains a +2 bonus to all defenses until the start of his next turn.
    Summon Elder Bladesinger (summoning) • Recharge
    Effect: Corellon summons an Elder Eladrin Bladesinger from one of his temples to fight on his behalf.
    Summon Familiar (summoning) • Encounter
    Effect: Corellon summons his Familiar, a Super-advanced Iron Cobra. The Familiar can be dismissed or recalled as a free action. If the Familiar is dismissed for 3 rounds in a row without being recalled, the Cobra regains 90 hit points.
    Magic Weapon (arcane) • At-Will(1/round)
    Effect: One weapon of Corellon's choice within 10 squares of him gains the radiant keyword and +2 per tier to attack rolls.
    Free Actions
    R Blessing of the Fey Lord (healing) • Recharge 4 5 6
    Effect: Ranged 5 (1 allied creature); The Target regains 100 hit points.
    Triggered Actions
    Discorporation
    Effect (Immediate Interrupt): When Corellon the Artificer becomes bloodied, he discorporates and is unable to take physical form for a time.
    Change of Forms • At-Will
    Effect (Immediate Interrupt): Corellon the Artificer becomes Corellon the Lich.
    Skills Arcana +38, Dungeoneering +36, Heal +36, History +38, Insight +36, Nature +36, Religion +38
    Str 27 (+28) Dex 39 (+34) Wis 33 (+31)
    Con 27 (+28) Int 36 (+33) Cha 27 (+28)
    Alignment unaligned*****Languages Common, Elven, Supernal
    Equipment staff of corellon, leather armor, astral symbol, orb of corellon, tome of corellon, wand of corellon, repeating crossbow

© 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved. This formatted statistics block has been generated using the D&D Adventure Tools.

Corellon the Lich Level 40 Solo Controller
    Gargantuan immortal humanoid (undead, deity) XP 555,000
    HP 500; Bloodied 250
    Regeneration 10 (if the lich takes radiant damage, regeneration doesn’t function on its next turn)
    AC 54; Fortitude 49; Reflex 54; Will 54
    Speed 6
    Immune disease, poison; Resist 15 necrotic
    Saving Throws +5; Action Points 2
    Initiative +26
    Perception +26
    Darkvision
    Traits
    Indestructible
    When a lich is reduced to 0 hit points, its body and possessions crumble into dust, but it is not destroyed. It reappears (along with its possessions) in 1d10 days within 1 square of its phylactery, unless the phylactery is also found and destroyed.
    Arcane spellcasters in the aura take 10 necrotic damage at the start of their turn if they do not worship Corellon.
    O Necrotic Aura (necrotic) • Aura 5
    Any living creature that enters or starts its turn in the aura takes 50 necrotic damage.
    Standard Actions
    C Magic Flurry (arcane, artifice) • Recharge
    Attack: Close Burst 3 (All creatures in Burst); +44 vs. Reflex
    r Shadow Ray (necrotic) • At-Will
    Attack: Ranged 20; +44 vs. Reflex
    Hit: 4d8 + 10 necrotic damage, and the target is stunned (save ends).
    Attack: Melee 1; +45 vs. AC
    Hit: 1d10 + 16 damage.
    r Magic Missile (force) • At-Will
    Effect: Ranged 20; 7d4 + 13 force damage.
    R Necrotic Orb (necrotic) • At-Will
    Attack: Ranged 20; +44 vs. Fortitude
    Hit: 4d8 + 10 necrotic damage, and the target is weakened until the end of the lich’s next turn.
    A Entropic Pulse (necrotic) • Recharge 4 5 6
    Attack: Area burst 2 within 20; +44 vs. Reflex
    Hit: 10d6 + 9 necrotic damage.
    Effect: The lich spends a healing surge and heals 200 hit points. The lich gains a +2 bonus to all defenses until the start of its next turn.
    Minor Actions
    Summon Elder Undead (summoning, necrotic) • Recharge 4 5 6
    Effect: An Elder Shadowguard, Elder Wrath Spirit, or Elder Sword Wraith appears next to the lich.
    Skills Arcana +36, History +36, Insight +31
    Str 20 (+25) Dex 23 (+26) Wis 23 (+26)
    Con 26 (+28) Int 33 (+31) Cha 29 (+29)
    Alignment evil*****Languages Common, Elven
    Equipment staff of corellon, orb of corellon, wand of corellon, tome of corellon

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Too much single target.

Death shouldn't trigger the artificer transform. Bloodied should.

I would go with replacing part of his body; like, his arm is cut off. So he repairs himself using artificer magic.

In that form, more techo magic; minions and summons. Lots of HP, but loses chunks and defences when minions/summons die. Should be far more efficient to to clear out the summons. Self forged, so some polymorphish stuff. Maybe even technovirus; infecting foes with clockwork. Heck, beimg able to swap positions with the clockwork minions could be a way for a solo artillery to get range.

Repeating crossbow being single target seems strange thematically. I'd go with 1d6 targets, or a new different target until he misses.

Kill the summoning bladesingers in artificer mode. Replace with something clockwork.

On death the transition to lich works. The idea that the first sacrifice/transformation was in order to survive a wound, the second to survive death.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Too much single target.

Death shouldn't trigger the artificer transform. Bloodied should.

I would go with replacing part of his body; like, his arm is cut off. So he repairs himself using artificer magic.

In that form, more techo magic; minions and summons. Lots of HP, but loses chunks and defences when minions/summons die. Should be far more efficient to to clear out the summons. Self forged, so some polymorphish stuff. Maybe even technovirus; infecting foes with clockwork. Heck, beimg able to swap positions with the clockwork minions could be a way for a solo artillery to get range.

Repeating crossbow being single target seems strange thematically. I'd go with 1d6 targets, or a new different target until he misses.

Kill the summoning bladesingers in artificer mode. Replace with something clockwork.

On death the transition to lich works. The idea that the first sacrifice/transformation was in order to survive a wound, the second to survive death.
    What would the other half of the hp be there for then? No, the first transformation is merely him becoming more determined to avoid death and developing new powers. The rest of your ideas are great, though!