New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Europa Universalis IV Thread 4: Divine Wind

I haven't played Austria in a few patches, and now it seems much harder, starting at a budget deficit. How does one Austria now?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I haven't played Austria in a few patches, and now it seems much harder, starting at a budget deficit. How does one Austria now?
    I tried few years some days ago; honestly the deficit is not that terrible: you can just disband some troop (I didn't) or reduce maintenance (not that Austria starts with rebels, so...) and it is fine. Plus, you start with a lot of money, therefore you have plenty of time even running with a deficit. I suppose that the best (easiest) thing to do is to fabricate on Venice and start kicking them for money/provinces.
    Does this poster have a sign?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Finished Switzerlake ... Absolutism bonuses seems insane ... got 37% Admin Efficiency before accounting for the Age ability bonus, and If you pair that with proper blobbing-focused idea groups (my first 4 was Diplomatic, Humanist, Influence and Plutocratic) I believe it might well be easier than ever before to WC, specially if you're already able to get in a good position pre-1610(ish).

Well ... on to next game ... Mongolia into Great Yuan into Great Khan Achievement

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Just in case anyone is as surprised as I am - patch 1.21 is out, put up only a couple of hours after they posted the Dev diary. I was not expecting that.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Got a decent Austria run going. Ironman, managed to PU Hungary, and I ate Venice (except for like one set of islands near the Ottomans? Which I assume they got, since I couldn't). Not going to be able to stop the shadow kingdom, since the Pope allied with France and Aragon (still with Naples). I'd need to get like three provinces off the Papal States and one off Naples, and I simply don't have the men to do it. Or the military tech, since I am totally lacking in anything but dip points (luckily, my heir Ceasar is 6/3/6). Next stop, eating italian minors.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Sounds like a good time for a hunting accident . . .

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So I managed to get Shahansha the other day.

Spoiler
    Show

It was quite tricky. Playing as Tabaristan, you're stuck between two factions that are enormously more powerful than you, but very unstable. The trick, I've found is to try and ally with the one you think will not break first and use them to rip apart the other crumbling nation...My first attempt had the Timurids implode, my second had Qara Qoyunlu implode, then my third attempt had them both implode, but Qara Qoyunlu ended up imploding a bit more explosively. The Timurids just exploded into nice Persia/Timurid chunks. It really is just a coin toss.

Sadly, it's a few years later. The Ottomans are right on my border as is Russia and they've both allied with one another. My last war with The Ottomans saw me lose two provinces and I expect the next war to involve both the Russians and Turks. So unfortunately, getting the This Is Persia! Achievement is probably going to be off the table and I'm probably just going to die a slow, painful death.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well then. Color me surprised. My Persia game didn't end in a whimper, but in one of the most impressive set of wars that i personally have ever fought in EUIV. What follows is the story of my persia game from a regional power just struggling to survive to the strongest nation on the planet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Allow me to set the stage. After forming Persia, My focus was mainly on reacquiring the Persian region. It was fairly easy since the Timurids were crippled, Hormuz wasn't very powerful and Iraq was abandoned by their masters The Ottomans, because they wanted to conquer them instead. After that, an alliance with Delhi allowed me to pick apart Sind and the Timurids in relative short order. Iraq was vassalized and annexed as was Georgia. Afghanistan was released and vassalized as well.

Thus led to a rather precarious position for Persia. They had a huge target on their backs as they were directly blocking The Ottomans march eastward and the ottomans were of course hugely powerful with nearly 200k troops where I only had somewhere around 80k. Of course, they invaded, but I had been planning on this invasion for a long time and erected a line of forts along The Zagros Mountains from Georgia to the Persian Gulf to protect my heartland from the brunt of ottoman invasion. The Ottomans struck and wore themselves on the mountainous defenses.

Spoiler
    Show

Fortunately, the war ended. The Ottomans still won and took several provinces in Georgia, but the heartlands of Persia remained intact. With any expansion westward cut off for now, Persia turned their attention east to Gujarat. The alliance of Persia and Delhi pushed back against the alliance of Gujarat and Jaunpur although not without loss(Mostly on Delhi's part).

A war with Russia was also fought and a few provinces around the Caspain were taken and the alliance between The Ottomans and Russia was severed. It was around this time that The commonwealth saw the advances Persia was making on their longtime enemies(Ottoman and Russian) and joined in an alliance with them. With their new allies, Persia invaded Russia and released Nogai and a reduced Kazan into their care. Gujarat was ultimately cannibalized by the other Indian powers after a crushing war that left Mewar also in Persian care. Thus the stage was set for the Second Ottoman-Persian war.

Persia knew that The Ottomans were only increasing in power and if they weren't stopped, then they would ultimately just roll Persia over. So the Persians took the initiative and invaded Turkish lands...with The commonwealth's help. The Ottomans were hugely powerful, but couldn't break through The Zagros Line and the Persians mostly ignored their attacks and focused on controlling the wargoal, but the war was cut short. A barely victory for Persia, because The Ottomans had an ace up their sleeve. Morocco and Tunis invaded from the south through Hormuz and around the Zagros mountains and straight into the heartlands of Persia.

Spoiler
    Show

It was a close victory, but Persia managed to take a few provinces and release an OPM Syria into Persian care. The next few decides was a constant war against The Ottomans. Essentially I was sort of playing a game of "Chicken" with them. Pushing both nations to the limit to see who would break first. My plan was simple: Divide The Ottomans into Two with Syria and then Three and it worked. Each war saw a few more provinces taken from The Ottomans than the previous one until a resounding victory was taken.

After the first victory:
    Spoiler
    Show

After the Second:
    Spoiler
    Show

After the Third:
    Spoiler
    Show

After the Fourth:
    Spoiler
    Show

Finally, The Ottomans Stop being a threat(Imperialism Ho!):
    Spoiler
    Show

As you can see, I devoted nearly all of my resources for around 50 years trying to break The Ottomans and it was only after that last war that they ceased being a massive threat(although they were still fairly powerful). At this point, Getting This Is Persia! was nearly assured and I began wondering what I should do with the remaining hundred years. Yeah, I still had to conquer Egypt, but that would be solved rather quickly. The Ottomans were no longer a threat and my alliances changed drastically as Spain deemed that I was a worthy ally and The commonwealth determined me to be a threat. Not wanting to deal with the nasty alliance of The commonwealth, Austria, and Scandinavia, I decided to turn my focus Eastward...To Silk!

There was only something around 13 silk provinces that I didn't own and/or was near enough for me to take and there's definitely an achievement for it, so that became my endgame goal. Silk and Ming. Getting a border was easy. I just invaded Yarkand. Ming counter attacked, but they couldn't push my troops off the land. Then the big one came. The War with Ming. Ming was a massively powerful state and still had more troops than I did, but they weren't quite the same quality. The unfortunate part was that I had to invade through the Takla Makan and Gobi desert.

I divided my troops into three armies. One, 120k would strike north through Mongolia and Korea. Another would strike south through to the Ming heartlands and a third 60k flanking force would invade through India after the Ming troops headed North.

Casualties were huge on both sides and I took lots of losses. Ming had entirely level 8 forts that were hard and obnoxious to siege down. Ultimately the invasion had to be stopped short due to Ming striking out at the Persian heartlands through Mongolia and Bukhara.

Spoiler
    Show

Land was taken and over the next several years I would continue to annex the silk provinces that I needed. With Ming and The Ottomans crippled, there was little else to stop me from claiming all of the remaining silk provinces in Southeast Asia, India, and Japan. Ming never collapsed and was a near constant thorn in my side even after they lost The Mandate(Really miss the old Mandate mechanics). Persia became the dominant world power with barely any land in Europe. At the end, I was going to go for Unite Islam, but ultimately I ran out of time and the one war i had with Spain at the end for Tunis I won, but man they kicked me in the teeth. (Also I invaded Scotland...for reasons)

Spoiler
    Show

This play through was super nostalgic and fun for me(Thus the elaboration). I have never played a Persia game in EUIV, but I have Played a persia game multiple times in EUIII. Including one super amazing one in EUIII MEIOU which went...a lot like this one actually.

I also learned that I sort of have a soft cap to conquest in EUIV at around 300-500 provinces. Even as Tabaristan, going from a 2 province minor to superpower Persia, I sort of slowed my roll quite a lot after a point. I could have conquered so much more in this game. I barely utilized Client States...only building three(one in India that got annexed, One in China that didn't get much love after I got the Silk, and one in Japan which went similarly). I also barely had any issues with Aggressive Expansion and never had the risk of any coalitions. My AE always burned off before the peace went away....Although I did acquire a lot with The Ottomans at one point.

I also learned that if you can manage to conquer Kyoto multiple times, you'll get "The Shogunate falls" event or whatever it's called each time that gives you admin/diplo power and prestige. So that's a bug that one might be able to exploit if you feel like being cheeky. I, on the otherhand revoked it from Persian Japan and they immediately shot up to 100% liberty desire for the rest of the game. So outside of "testing purposes" I wasn't able to make use of that.

Final thoughts:
    • I still don't really like the ages. I feel like forcing arbitrary objectives on the player takes away from the game. I know they're optional in the sense that you don't have to do them, but that won't stop the AI.
    • Ming needs to get penalized more for low mandate. Even with all of those penalties, they were still fairly powerful. They just took a lot of casualties in battle.
    • Absolutism is super powerful and I don't know why you'd ever go for a government type that doesn't give you the most Absolutism possible.
    • Be nice on the graphical representation of wars/battles. They were made in 5 minutes using the Power of Paint.
    • Achievements get: Shahansha, This is Persia!, Absolutely, A Golden Empire, and That's a Silk Road
    Last edited by Leecros; 2017-05-06 at 03:59 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the 'Exiled to Siberia' Russia, and Netherlands-in-Congo

Any idea why Castile never formed Spain?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

To me, the most impressive thing in the game was Kedah. They start as a One-Province minor between Malacca and Ayuthaya and in this particular game they conquered most of Southeast Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Any idea why Castile never formed Spain?
    one of the requirements to form Spain is that none of the provinces in Iberia is Muslim and...well, Morocco held onto Lisboa for...most of the game. In fact, i'm pretty sure it only got returned in the last few years of the game when Castile won a massive Imperialist war against them.

So I presume that the province never got converted back to a non-muslim religion in time.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2017-05-07 at 10:45 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I couldn't decipher the name so I thought at a glance that it was Pasai since they have a similar'ish color

IIRC the "From Spain" doesn't actually demand that there aren't any Muslim provinces, only that there aren't any provinces ruled by muslims.

That said, looking again, it appears that Morocco still owns Canaries, and they're part of the Macaronesia, which in turn is a part of Iberia

12. - Top - End - #42
    Colossus in the Playground

So, apparently, lesbian marriages are a thing now. My Spanish Empire was ruled by Empress Maria Teresa von Habsburg and her wife, Maria Teresa von Habsburg.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I'm all for social progressivism but I think marrying yourself is taking the whole Habsburg Royal Marriage thing a little too far.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

14. - Top - End - #44

Oh, they weren't the same. Empress Maria Teresa died, to give way to Empress Consort Regent Maria Teresa.

They just had the same name.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

So I'm trundling along, just started a new game as Brandenburg. Going after Mecklenburg so I have sailors and boats. I get a message, the HRE sound effect triggers, I click past it without reading, assuming Austria got a son.

A couple months later I get a call from Liege, asking to support them because we're allies. I clicked no such agreement. Looking further, it turns out that Austria's king did die - without an heir. Now they're in a personal union under Hungary, and in an inheritance war with France. And I am the emperor. In like, 1446. Which is great, except I'm going for Prussia so I've got a time limit on enjoying the empire.

Well, luckily for me, later on I get burgundian inheritance. Now I can actually get some work done on getting money.

Good game so far. Both Castile and Poland have rejected their possible unions, and Austria got taken out of the way, at least for a while (they broke free after Poland stomped all over Hungary). Just gotta get some more bling before the reformation fires.

16. - Top - End - #46

My Spain game ground to a halt and I probably won't start it up again. I completely colonized the entire new world with no other powers having a province in the Americans anymore after a few wars, and the majority of Africa also mine. But then, all my colonial nations decided to rebel at once and my usually strongest ally, Austria-Hungary, fell under a PU with Russia, my rival. So all of Eastern Europe and Northern Asia is now one big green blob that wants me dead.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Heck yeah!

Spawned Colonialism in my territory, as Ottomans. Not as hard as I thought it'd be.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Sale on payday, time for DLC. What's MANDATORY besides Common Sense?
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Mandate of Heaven and Cossacks are my picks. Estates and Ages are all fun and games and I have no complaints.

Edit: Also Rights of Man. My god, disinheriting heirs is so useful.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2017-06-15 at 07:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Barbarian in the Playground

Could anybody suggest a good YouTube tutorial for EUIV. I got a few hundred years of playing on CKII left and have the converter, so plan to see if I can continue the Byzantine Empire in EUIV. But I need to really learn the ropes first.

I have the DLCs: Conquest of Paradise, Res Publica, Wealth of Nations, and Women In History.

Any suggests and is there a DLC I must have to make it easier/more interesting to play?
    Avatar crafted by the Great and All Knowing Mr_Saturn

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's Play -Road Of Queens - CKII India AAR

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

hello gammers....
    amazing game, this good forum

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Mandate's only 10% off because it's new. Thinking Common Sense and...I want Art of War and Cossacks both eventually, but I'm trying to spread my expenditures out. Maybe just grab one at a time if I'm not getting everything with good general mechanics at once...
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Act of War is probably the most mandatory DLC, Rights of Man is also up there

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Art of War must be taken!
    Does this poster have a sign?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Valley View Post
    Could anybody suggest a good YouTube tutorial for EUIV.
    I enjoyed watching Arumba's tutorial series with FilthyRobot. I don't know how good it is at actually teaching the game though and Arumba had a tendency to deviate into just doing things without explaining why on occasion. Especially during wartime. They also played that game over a kind of tumultuous period between patches where paradox wasn't really sure what they wanted to do with Forts amongst other things which led to the occasional "This is like this" "Now it's like this" moments.

They also start in a much harder position than you probably will be(Scotland). Depending on how large and powerful your Byzantine Empire game is, you might not really even need to watch a tutorial series. Unlike Crusader Kings where you want to start small while learning and larger empires are harder to manage, EUIV is the opposite. The larger you are, the easier the game is(generally).
    Last edited by Leecros; 2017-06-16 at 08:14 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

In general, I'd agree to that. Maybe, before you port your safe, start up a game as France, Spain, Ottomans, Ming, a country like that. One that is big, doesn't have many obligations (so, not Austria) and is not surrounded by too many enemies (don't border the Ottomans).

Have the Wiki open, too, or you'll be totally lost.

You'll have a general idea about things like budgets, manpower, etc. if you played CKII, but there's more stuff to watch. A few general things:

In general, the game is much less about people and more abut countries. Your alliance is not with King Louis, it's with France. It doesn't end on anyone's death. Until recently, monarchs didn't have personalities, either. Neither did advisors, nobles, etc. Following from that, there's a lot more numbers. There's tons of national and provincial numbers. However, you don‘t really need to monitor them all, usually you get a general idea about what they do from the name (more discipline good, more inflation bad).

A few of your „national numbers“:

Monarch points:
    Fans jokingly call them „Mana“. These are your main power source. Everything that doesn‘t cost money costs mana. They come in three flavours, administration, diplomacy and military. (Trade falls under diplomacy). Their most common use is to buy tech levels every few years, but you also use them to develop provinces, make national decisions, increase or decrease various values.
    You get a base number of them, plus a number between 0 and 6 of each per month based on your monarch, plus between 0-3 depending on the skill of your advisors.

Your top bar from left to right:
    Money: how much you have and whether it‘s going up or down. Note that money is more complicated than in Crusader Kings: if this goes to zero, your country will automatically take a loan. A loan automatically charges you interest every month and generates some inflation (which can lead to a viscious cycle.

Manpower: this is pooled for your entire nation. Unlike in Crusader Kings, your army will not be called to serve and gathered in case of war, but will be a standing army, that you can station where you want. If manpower is above 0, your units will automatically refill, which also costs money.

Stability: a value between -3 and +3, in whole numbers. Mainly influences how many rebels you get and how quickly, but also changes a lot of other numbers in big or small ways. This will go down for bad omens like comets, some national decisions you make and whenever yourf ruler dies. Buying it back up usually costs administrative points.

Prestige: Between -100 and +100. Does a lot of stuff, from diplomacy to internal stability to trade income. Goes down by making unpopular decisions and losing wars, goes up from victories in war and some decisions like investing in the arts or sciences.

Legitimacy: starts at 100, usually, and goes down if people don‘t like your ruler. Can make your country explode with rebels.

A few more concepts not in CKII:

Diplomacy: you have a limited number of diplomats (snomewhere between 2 and 4, usually), and they have travel times, depending on the distance between your capital an theirs. Increasing someone‘s opinion of you or spying on them means leaving a diplomat in their capital for years, which requires some planning. Contracts, alliances, declarations of war, etc. happen immediately.

Declarations of war: like CKII, there is the concept of Casus Belli. Unlike CKII, you can declare war without one, it‘s just usually a bad idea, since it gives you aggressive expansion and costs a lot of stability.

Alliances: unless you have majorly pissed them off, allies will come to your defense if you are attacked, but will only help you in exchange for land, money or favour (favour is earned over time or for helping them with their wars.)

War Exhaustion: as your soldiers die or provinces are occupied, this goes up. High exhaustion will lead to rebellion and will lower the regeneration of your manpower. This is usually the thing that stops you from constantly waging war.

Trade: very complicated. I sure as hell don‘t fully understand trade, even after a thousand hours in the game. You don‘t need to. Very basically: trade flows along trade routes from node to node, from sources to destinations. Nodes produce a certain income, based on how much trade flows into them. This money is distributed based on trade power in that node, which is based on how many provinces you have near that node, and how rich they are, but can also be increased by sending trade ships. You have merchants, like diplomats, who can be sent do any trade node you can see, to do either Trade Steering, which means controlling where the trade goes from that node along the network (you want this to go towards your home, obviously), or to make money from that trade node.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2017-06-16 at 10:06 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thanks Eldan and Leecros,

Looks like I need to watch a few videos and just jump in the deep end and get a feel of the game. Thanks again!
    Avatar crafted by the Great and All Knowing Mr_Saturn

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's Play -Road Of Queens - CKII India AAR

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Seconding Ottomans as a nice safe game, particularly if you have Rights of Man. You have a number of things that makes an Ottomans game have handrails, though there are a few things to worry about. Ottomans has a lot of content, almost all of it in your favor - you have one of the best ways of generating heirs through the unique Ottoman government type (in Rights of Man) - whenever your emperor turns thirty, an event will fire that gives you three sons to choose from, generated randomly, and usually at least one of them is good. Rights of Man also allows you to bump off your heir for a prestige hit, which fires the event again. The Janissaries is a great modifier that lasts until the end of the game, but can lead into a disaster if you're not careful (though with Rights of Man choosing your heirs makes this much easier to avoid).

Geopolitically, almost no-one will mess with Ottomans unless you really upset them (read: take catholic provinces). You've got basically everywhere else to expand towards, though, and the only real fights are Timurids (which often collapse into rebellion) and the Mamluks, who will never recover if you beat them that first war (and you will get missions to point you there).
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2017-06-16 at 05:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Trade: very complicated. I sure as hell don‘t fully understand trade, even after a thousand hours in the game. You don‘t need to. Very basically: trade flows along trade routes from node to node, from sources to destinations. Nodes produce a certain income, based on how much trade flows into them. This money is distributed based on trade power in that node, which is based on how many provinces you have near that node, and how rich they are, but can also be increased by sending trade ships. You have merchants, like diplomats, who can be sent do any trade node you can see, to do either Trade Steering, which means controlling where the trade goes from that node along the network (you want this to go towards your home, obviously), or to make money from that trade node.
    I actually made an effort to understand trade and after reading this extremely helpful guide The Curiously Inscrutable Principles of Trade Mechanics of Europa Universalis 4, I think I have actually some reasonable grasp now. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to try and wrap their head around it.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-06-16 at 06:15 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

I have no idea what to do with all these ducats. Well, I buy manufactories by the dozen, of course, but still. An income of 100+ ducats a month with tier 3 advisors is living the life.