New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Europa Universalis IV Thread 4: Divine Wind

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I have no idea what to do with all these ducats. Well, I buy manufactories by the dozen, of course, but still. An income of 100+ ducats a month with tier 3 advisors is living the life.

Last edited by Leecros; 2017-06-17 at 10:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    I have no idea what to do with all these ducats. Well, I buy manufactories by the dozen, of course, but still. An income of 100+ ducats a month with tier 3 advisors is living the life.
    More Mercenary, More Conquest

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So does anyone enjoy some delicious, delicious Ottoman Gore?
    Spoiler
    Show

I made a run at Big Blue Blob and fell short of the 100 province goal by less than 10 and the problem traced back to an accidental Humiliate Rival war against Denmark. so I got mad and decided to Venice with a new tactic that I've never tried before called "Vassalize Byzantium"

Near the end of the war, The Ottomans declared on them and miy reaction was just "Whelp. Time to bring The Ottomans into a war with Austria, Poland, and Lithuania before 1450. 100k vs 30k. I don't think The Ottomans are long for this world.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

Poland and Austria are good for something that early on? I'm surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

They're two of the stronger European powers that aren't already embroiled in a war or with a mission to immediately get embroiled in a war that they always take. They're the big stick for any of the minor Eastern European Christians to befriend to avoid getting turned green.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So I've decided to make an attempt at doing a World Conquest as The Ottomans...which is one of the easiest nations to do a world conquest with due to their initial size and proximity(they're Hands Down the strongest nation at the start of the game).

I'm coming up on the half-way mark(1600) and I think i'm doing....okay.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm a bit hesitant, because the mid-game mark is generally where I start slowing my conquering spree down and I really wish I was farther into Central Europe. I'm also a bit concerned with India and Asia as I cannot create Client States in those regions due to the rather asinine "Overseas" definitions. That's all going to have to be either ruled by me or fed to a vassal.

As for Europe I...have been fortunate in not getting blocked in by Hungary or Poland, but the HRE is a pretty solid wall at the moment.I can't quite beat a coalition consisting of all of the HRE minors, so my inroads into Europe have been much smaller than my liking. I managed to get a rather advantageous alliance with Muscovy early, but that has broken down due to territory disputes involving Polotsk, Smolensk(both of whom are my vassals) and the Great Horde.

Overall i'm reluctant to say that I have a fair chance at completing a WC...I don't feel like I'm expanding quickly enough, but I also know that it's not rare for me to double or triple in size once Imperialism comes knocking.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Mind that late game is where the game allows you to get away with conquering larger and larger parts, due to Administrative efficiency (Specially now that Absolutism boosts this) and superior CBs (Imperialism)...

Also ... you're not quite at the halfway mark yet ... your in 1578, and the halfway mark is 1635(ish) ... 1/3th of the way?
    Last edited by Sian; 2017-07-13 at 01:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Also ... you're not quite at the halfway mark yet ... your in 1578, and the halfway mark is 1635(ish) ... 1/3th of the way?
    Well, I like to say that 1600 is the half-way mark, because it's a nice round number and is the end of the Age of Reformation which is basically the half-way mark on the list of Ages. It's not quite accurate, but it's close enough.

However, you are right. Considering the fact that the game goes from 1445(1444 is not even two months) to 1820. 375 years pass throughout the game and the mid-point would be something like June of 1632.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

I found out I own this game (only have Mandate of Heaven as DLC) recently, and have been playing with it (only have Mandate of Heaven as DLC) a bit. I am quite confused about something. Starting a game as England in 1444, Scotland is locked into an alliance with France that makes warring against either impossible to win (if I try fighting France, Scotland can pour over the border; if I try fighting Scotland, France gains a lot of warscore by siezing my Continental possessions; don't have the land cap to fight both) and relegating me to picking off small Irish nations.

If, however, I start a game as Castile, England's AI invariably gobbles up Scotland within a few years, with France sitting out.

Is this just a case of mechanics working differently for the AI, or is there something I could be doing to get around this alliance?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

England starts with a big navy and France starts with bupkis in terms of crossing the Channel, so that helps in keeping French troops from helping the Scots. France also often declares on England to take Normandy or Aquitaine (the AI might also do the reverse and have England declare on France, I don't know. I wouldn't).

If Scotland sits out the inevitable French/English war, that's great for England as once they finish the war with France, they can attack Scotland while France has a peace treaty with them and take most or all of the country in a single war (certainly enough to form Great Britain). If Scotland does join the war, it's tough for England, but if they can wipe out the Scottish armies and keep the French from landing troops, it's more than doable.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2017-07-15 at 12:43 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    England starts with a big navy and France starts with bupkis in terms of crossing the Channel, so that helps in keeping French troops from helping the Scots. France also often declares on England to take Normandy or Aquitaine (the AI might also do the reverse and have England declare on France, I don't know. I wouldn't).
    I get that part. The trouble isn't France invading England proper, it is that they occupy all of the territories England starts with in France right away since I don't have the armies needed to defend those and crush Scotland at the same time. They get enough warscore from that that I can't seem to get the Scots to give up even with the entire country occupied.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

What you mainly want to do is engage France separately from Scotland. This can be done in one of a couple of ways:

1) Improve relations with Scotland or France until they're unwilling to join a war with each other (severely unlikely)
    2) Attack one of Scotland's allies who isn't allied with France, bringing Scotland into the war but avoiding bringing in France. Alternatively, attack one of France's allies who isn't Scotland, get a peace treaty with France from a win or a loss, then attack Scotland.
    3) If you do get in a war with both, negotiate with Scotland separately by clicking their flag on the truce screen. It will only take into account their individual warscore with you and if you've obliterated and occupied Scotland proper, you should be able to arrange a beneficial separate peace from them, independent of how badly France is taking back continental territory. This should work as long as Scotland isn't the "war leader" for their side, which means you need to declare on France if it's an offensive war on your part.

This is important chicanery for taking apart power blocs and expanding throughout the game. If you want to get a real taste for how screwy alliances and breaking them apart can get, try playing as a Daimyo in Japan, aka one of like 20 minor powers of equivalent strength who form tenuous alliance webs with each other and have to swallow each other in a series of wars in order to challenge their overlord and form Japan.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2017-07-15 at 12:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    2) Attack one of Scotland's allies who isn't allied with France, bringing Scotland into the war but avoiding bringing in France. Alternatively, attack one of France's allies who isn't Scotland, get a peace treaty with France from a win or a loss, then attack Scotland.
    Tried this, France got called in anyway.
    3) If you do get in a war with both, negotiate with Scotland separately by clicking their flag on the truce screen. It will only take into account their individual warscore with you and if you've obliterated and occupied Scotland proper, you should be able to arrange a beneficial separate peace from them, independent of how badly France is taking back continental territory. This should work as long as Scotland isn't the "war leader" for their side, which means you need to declare on France if it's an offensive war on your part.
    I had no idea that this was possible. I've seen a few cases of independent negotiations, but had no idea how (or if - for all I knew it was event-flagged) I could do it myself.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Tried this, France got called in anyway.
    Shouldn't be possible unless you marked Scotland as a co-belligerent, unless there's some kind of tributary or guarantee shenanigans or something very strange happened to the Holy Roman Empire. That saves you Diplo points when you start annexing territories, but sort of defeats the goal here.

But yeah sounds like separate peace negotiations are the way to go here. They are extremely important for making wars more manageable in a variety of situations, from taking territory from a minor to breaking apart large but geographically distant alliance blocs.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2017-07-15 at 02:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

There doesn't have to be any complex shenanigans involved. France can't land troops on England Proper or rescue Scotland from your armies. Hang your continental claims out to dry and declare a war on Scotland for one of Scotland's provinces. Occupy that province as quickly as possible followed by the rest of Scotland and keep France off of Britain.

One of two things will happen. Scotland's enthusiasm will tank to the point where they will concede and you'll win, or 5 years will pass and Scotland will automatically capitulate. The one problem with this happening is that France will take your continental holdings for themselves except for Calais which they usually transfer control of over to Scotland. If that happens, then the whole 5 years thing won't happen, but you should still be able to wear Scotland out faster than you wear yourself out.

This all boils down to a really important mechanic in the game called Ticking Warscore. Ticking Warscore is the gain(or loss) of warscore due to completing the wargoal(or not completing the wargoal). With Conquest, the wargoal is to occupy the province you have a claim on.So that's pretty straightforward. You gain up to 25 warscore just by occupying that province.

The drawback to this tactic is that there is a slight test of endurance. You will gain war exhaustion from the occupied holdings in France and that could cause rebellion to flare. However, It's absolutely possible to crush Scotland while they are still allied to France.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2017-07-16 at 07:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    There doesn't have to be any complex shenanigans involved. France can't land troops on England Proper or rescue Scotland from your armies. Hang your continental claims out to dry and declare a war on Scotland for one of Scotland's provinces. Occupy that province as quickly as possible followed by the rest of Scotland and keep France off of Britain.
    Or closely monitor the number of transports France have, and let them send over small enough armies that you can handle followed by you re-blockading their ports
    Last edited by Sian; 2017-07-17 at 06:30 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

And of course, all that can be done a lot quicker and more reliably if you can negotiate a separate peace with Scotland. Then you can send your armies down to fight France or just let them have Normandy so you can focus on exploration/colonization.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks. I just restarted and wound up giving away my white-elephant territories in France away to get them out of the war while I grabbed Scotland. I can always try taking them back at a later date after Scotland and Ireland have been pacified.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Thanks. I just restarted and wound up giving away my white-elephant territories in France away to get them out of the war while I grabbed Scotland. I can always try taking them back at a later date after Scotland and Ireland have been pacified.
    Intentionally boosting the BBB and then planning to fight them later? Bold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Intentionally boosting the BBB and then planning to fight them later? Bold.
    It's pretty much recommended for new players to give that land away anyway. It takes a lot of skill and luck to beat France in an early war vs France and most guides just recommend giving that land up either in a war or diplomatically.

As long as the player keeps up with their navy and makes sure to have a larger one than France at all times, then there's not really much France can do against them. Even if England goes and starts working on Scandinavia. Which is a fairly typical move for a human England that's been kicked off the mainland.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

I pretty much immediately decided that those territories were indefensible on terms of pure geography due to the way they're divided, as well as the fact that a two-front war is extremely likely unless you've conquered the entire British isles (even a single-county Irish nation would tie up enough troops to make fighting France hard). My next conquest will probably be Iceland, after consolidating Britain.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Buying Main Game, will buy DLC later; Can I get people's thoughts on them, which ones I would definitely want?
    Last edited by russdm; 2017-07-19 at 09:09 PM.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

23. - Top - End - #83

Depends a bit on what you want to play.

I'd probably get Common Sense and Art of War first, as they probably just do the most things, though to be honest, I can never quite remember what were DLC-only features and what was generally available.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

wait for a sale ... its quite common that there is a 75% discount on everything but the 2-3 most recent DLCs

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Depends a bit on what you want to play.

I'd probably get Common Sense and Art of War first, as they probably just do the most things, though to be honest, I can never quite remember what were DLC-only features and what was generally available.
    Looking on the wiki, I have to agree with this. Art of War doesn't change gameplay so much as it adds so many QoL improvements that I can hardly imagine playing without it; seriously, there are things in it that I had just assumed were in vanilla. Common Sense, meanwhile, includes the ability to spend MP to increase province development, which the rest of the game has been balanced around (something that Paradox regrets, btw).

Once you have those, I'd say that Mare Nostrum, Wealth of Nations, and The Cossacks add the most general stuff. The others are generally quite focused on one region or type of gameplay (e.g. Conquest of Paradise only does anything if you're doing a lot of stuff in the New World).

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    wait for a sale ... its quite common that there is a 75% discount on everything but the 2-3 most recent DLCs
    100% this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Common Sense, meanwhile, includes the ability to spend MP to increase province development, which the rest of the game has been balanced around (something that Paradox regrets, btw).
    They might regret it, but it's still better than the old Base Tax system that they had before....and while improving development is a huge help for institutions. Institutions are still better than the old tech group system which was severely dated.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

To clarify, Paradox regrets putting it behind a paywall, and wishes that they had put it in the free patch instead.
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Cross-posting this to the major PDX threads as a heads' up: if you were affected by the non-US price increase and bought something you might be able to get a free doofer.

Quote Originally Posted by PDX
    After exploring options with our sales partners, we’ve come to the conclusion that partial refunds (as in, refunding the price difference) aren’t practically possible. Instead, we will gift everyone who purchased any Paradox product between May 17 and today (including pre-orders of Steel Division: Normandy 44 made before May 17), in any currency except USD (where prices were not changed), a free copy of a full PC game or two DLC, as a gesture of goodwill.

The games on offer will be:

Stellaris
    Hearts of Iron IV
    Crusader Kings 2
    Europa Universalis IV
    Magicka 2
    Tyranny

OR, if you prefer, TWO from the list of the following DLC:

HoI IV: Death or Dishonor
    EU IV: Third Rome
    CK II: Monks and Mystics
    Stellaris: Utopia
    Tyranny: Tales from the Tiers

Should you happen to already own all of the above then the system will credit you equivalent giftable keys.
    Link

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

[vent]

So in my current game, I decided to go vassalize Ternate and Tidore, rather than have to colonize everything by myself. When I did so, the first time I opened the subject management screen while at war, I discovered that somehow, both were running deficits. Upon investigating their capitals, I found that both of them had filled their three building slots* with the same thing:
    -A temple, which is completely reasonable,
    -A fort, which is usually kinda dumb, but tolerable for a rich OPM with no allies, and
    -A dock.

A friggin' DOCK. I can literally think of only one province in the entire game that is a better place for a workshop than Ternate and Tidore, and BOTH of them decided to go with a DOCK instead.

*grumble grumble*

I'm tempted to go to PDX's suggestions forum and suggest making the AI stop building so d*** many docks.

[/vent]

*I'm trying out the flat development option, so every province started out as 4/4/3
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Got Common Sense and Art of War. Have started first game as France. Planning to have games as Austria, England, Scotland, Cherokee (Because of Heritage, A MultiGreatGrandparent was one), Someone to form Prussia, and most definitely Japan. With having everything for Vic 2, I can transfer the save over there to keep going.

Liking game so far. Still have eu3 chronicles, but had issues getting it to install on my laptop, while it got installed on my tower computer. Anyway, off to see how much land I can retake as France. (I may try out a game as Ottomans or Castila or Portugal, but those aren't really countries that I am really interested in, though I may do Ottomans)
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)